Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's what I know. About an hour and a half ago I finished one of the most jaw-dropping, go-for-broke episodes that Agents of Shield has ever done, and I needed 20 minutes to recover from it. I was pretty sure Limitless wasn't going to top it.

An hour after finishing this one, I STILL can't stop thinking about it, for completely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Coming into the season, I fully expected this to be a semi okay cop procedural and I would've watched it anyways because I'm a sucker for shows with cops who possess a special ability and solve crimes in a different way. Holy poo poo was I wrong. I can't believe how fantastic this show is every week. The last segment absolutely killed me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I can't believe back on page 1 I was worrying that this show would tank. Holy poo poo this is one of the best shows on TV right now IMO.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maybe Mora's real goal is finding someone that NZT doesn't turn into a megalomaniacal dick? If Brian's psychologically stable after a few years, and if Mora can suss out a template for screening, then he is in business.

Maybe that's what the show's about? Controlling Pandora's Box. What if nuclear only meant reactors and not proliferation?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 18, 2015

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jxforema posted:

I can't be the only one who caught the abyss reference at the end

I have to go back and watch the ending again to find this.

I was surprised when he told his Dad the truth. And now scared for what will happen to him.

Awesome episode all around and I hope Mike & Ike go on more trips!

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I haven't looked forward to such feel-good fun every week since Leverage. I know we're only 9 episodes in, and it's going to get hard to top itself after a while, but I'm praying it doesn't burn out too soon. Absolutely killing it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

I was surprised when he told his Dad the truth. And now scared for what will happen to him.

I wasn't, for a really cool reason. The reason Bryan didn't end up telling his dad previously was because he was scared what Sands was going to do if he did. But Morra basically convinced Bryan that he, and by extension Sands, are actually the good guys. I totally buy Bryan telling his dad as a direct result of now believing that Sands and Morra wouldn't actually hurt him. It was never explicitly mentioned, but it feels right thematically as a reason that Bryan changed his mind about telling him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shakugan posted:

I wasn't, for a really cool reason. The reason Bryan didn't end up telling his dad previously was because he was scared what Sands was going to do if he did. But Morra basically convinced Bryan that he, and by extension Sands, are actually the good guys. I totally buy Bryan telling his dad as a direct result of now believing that Sands and Morra wouldn't actually hurt him. It was never explicitly mentioned, but it feels right thematically as a reason that Bryan changed his mind about telling him.

That may have been part of it, but his dad laying the guilt on him and assuring him he'd rather be hurt or dead than shut out -- that scene was amazing, by the way -- definitely pushed him over the edge.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

That may have been part of it, but his dad laying the guilt on him and assuring him he'd rather be hurt or dead than shut out -- that scene was amazing, by the way -- definitely pushed him over the edge.

Yeah, definitely. But he still wouldn't have done it if he had thought it would result in his dad getting murdered. But his conversation with Eddie means he no longer believes it to be the case.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
no Ike n Mike fistbump gif?

Seriously...

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Tumblr's got you covered. (Can we post images hosted on tumblr? I'll remove if not.)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

That reminds me.

Do we think Mike and Ike (and everyone else) are actually referring to themselves as that? Or is Brian mentally replacing the mention of their names everytime? It seems likely it's the latter, but that introduces some weird "unreliable narrator" potential to the show that I'm not really sure it needs.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shakugan posted:

That reminds me.

Do we think Mike and Ike (and everyone else) are actually referring to themselves as that? Or is Brian mentally replacing the mention of their names everytime? It seems likely it's the latter, but that introduces some weird "unreliable narrator" potential to the show that I'm not really sure it needs.

IMDB refers to them as Agent Mike and Agent Ike, that's what I have them listed as in the OP now. I have no idea what their names could possibly be, I foresee an awkward scene where Brian's just talking to them and they realize that after all these months, he doesn't actually know their name, even on NZT.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone else think the dad was being kind of a shitbird? That move with the box was suuuper manipulative.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Everything about that episode was so fun. The exclamation point sound effect on Headquarters! the "No" montage, the top ten list dolls, the fist bump, the imagined bust, the arts and crafts Brian did as a kid, the ending montage. Just all of it.

Accretionist posted:

Anyone else think the dad was being kind of a shitbird? That move with the box was suuuper manipulative.

I don't know, put yourself in the father's shoes. For all intents and purposes, the son he knew is gone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought it ultimately took a touching turn but that he started off like a real gently caress.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

tao of lmao posted:

Everything about that episode was so fun. The exclamation point sound effect on Headquarters! the "No" montage, the top ten list dolls, the fist bump, the imagined bust, the arts and crafts Brian did as a kid, the ending montage. Just all of it.

I don't know, put yourself in the father's shoes. For all intents and purposes, the son he knew is gone.

If he started there it would've been better, except he went straight for the hard sell on the,"Gimme dat TS/SCI/NOFORN or I don' love you anymore!"

Like, there's probably Intel goons who've sat through PowerPoint presentations about not letting suspiciously inquisitive Russian hookers pull that exact move.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The 23 Jump Street ending montage was amazing.

I wonder if parody/homage episodes will be a continuing thing? With this and the Ferris Bueller episode back to back... :v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have been wondering ever since episode 1 why Morra wanted Brian in the FBI. I have a theory: he knew that the FBI would keep Brian under control, regulate his NZT usage, and keep track of his location. That is everything Morra would need to do to keep Brian ready for his orders, but instead of having to micromanage Brian, he lets the FBI do it for him. Thoughts?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have a feeling that Morra is not the only one and he may have competitors, or be part of a cabal, and he is working at outmaneuvering them.

They actually bring up a related point; as you take it, you become more of a big thinker and forget the details that some would consider important (basically the Brian telling NZT Brian to gently caress off). Maybe Morra wants someone who will not forget things like people's lives are important individually and not just collectively.

I had a feeling that Sands might work for an organization that Morra is a part of, and not necessarily leading, with Brian being a wildcard of sorts.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's kind of weird we didn't see any discussion between Rebecca and Brian this past episode about his extra NZT stash given that this episode took place over a significant period of time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Clay Davis talking to himself while on NZT was pretty fuckin amazing though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sober posted:

Clay Davis talking to himself while on NZT was pretty fuckin amazing though.

Oh yeah. Plus "What, it's not pink? I'm not pink am I?" :3:

Whatever Morra's endgame is, it sure as hell isn't benign. Unless we want to speculate that Sands mailbombing that doctor was off-book.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Accretionist posted:

Yes, the "I don't care, I would suffer, I would die for you" or whatever doesn't hold too, what about everybody else in Finch life ? Should he put their lives at risk too? His wife, his daughters, Finch ex? :colbert:
He should trust his son that he had to keep a secret, he's working with the FBI, give the boy some credit. He's even a lawyer, he should imagine that theres some kind of government secret he couldn't tell or he would get sent to jail. I found the scene way too forced to get 'feels', awesome episode though, I'm really surprised by this show.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I thought finch made his dad his lawyer in the first or second episode so they could have attorney client privilege.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He tried but then found out that the nurse that works for Morra is now conveniently his dad's new nurse, so he ended up not telling him anything. That was also before he had the heart-to-heart with Morra so he was still afraid about that whole "tell anyone and I'll murder you slowly" thing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Either way, his Dad was still being a dick.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Accretionist posted:

Maybe Mora's real goal is finding someone that NZT doesn't turn into a megalomaniacal dick? If Brian's psychologically stable after a few years, and if Mora can suss out a template for screening, then he is in business.

Maybe that's what the show's about? Controlling Pandora's Box. What if nuclear only meant reactors and not proliferation?

Ding ding ding.

Mora wants Brian to be president. Remember ep 1 he was having second thoughts...

This show really fills a giant Fringe shaped hole in my life. The progression of the story, the stark comedy... It's Fringe.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This show fills the void that Psych left.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Mora associate killed the doctor that was conducting NZT trials in some previous episode, didn't he ? I don't think Mora is all about doing good

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Another great episode. The "Tech Stuff" warning made me jump.. so loud! The ending where the guy was punching himself hahahaha so good. The dad needs to back off and let Brian do whatever he wants.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
ROFL the "hacking" montages. Another hilarious episode, although I could do without the downer dad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

karrethuun posted:

Another hilarious episode, although I could do without the downer dad.

Holyshoot posted:

The dad needs to back off and let Brian do whatever he wants.

I can see how he might be a problem long term, but Ron Rifkin does such a great job of humanizing that Debbie Downer role. I mean, when you break it down from his perspective, what's happening to Brian is supremely hosed up, and statements like "No Dad, I totally know what I'm doing with this experimental drug" or "You don't get it, they only want me when I'm on NZT" are, you know, not helpful. But he sounds like he's grudgingly willing to let Brian do his thing for as long as he trusts Naz to protect him. And if/when Brian gets hurt (or, more likely, he discovers the long-term effects of NZT on everyone else), he's going to call down the thunder. And frankly, I'm not sure he'd be that good of a character if he didn't.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, PS, do me a favor, I can't screencap for poo poo. I need some images and maybe small gifs from Limitless in order to convince a Twitter friend to watch this show. YouTube clips would also be great if you somehow have them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I can see how he might be a problem long term, but Ron Rifkin does such a great job of humanizing that Debbie Downer role. I mean, when you break it down from his perspective, what's happening to Brian is supremely hosed up, and statements like "No Dad, I totally know what I'm doing with this experimental drug" or "You don't get it, they only want me when I'm on NZT" are, you know, not helpful. But he sounds like he's grudgingly willing to let Brian do his thing for as long as he trusts Naz to protect him. And if/when Brian gets hurt (or, more likely, he discovers the long-term effects of NZT on everyone else), he's going to call down the thunder. And frankly, I'm not sure he'd be that good of a character if he didn't.

Makes sense I guess. Like how in Breaking Bad everyone hated Skyler and her attitude but if you didn't have the same knowledge by watching the show you would be on her side in regards to thinking Walter is insane/dangerous.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

I honestly think he's a pretty great dad and a realistic one at that.

He's thinking: "My son's being used as a guinea pig for an experimental drug that has killed every other person that has used it, and he's being coerced to take it daily, his personality has changed, and he works in a job that consistently puts him in danger, under supervisors who may not care about his well-being."

Given all the information that he has, he's trying to make the best decision he can to protect his son. I can't fault him for that. Also, I though it was pretty badass the way he spoke to Naz, he doesn't know her, all he knows is that she condones using Brian as a guinea pig and that makes her a giant threat.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Another fantastic episode! I have a feeling that Morra & Co. have enough connections / assets / surveillance to realize the situation brewing between Brian, his father, and the FBI. There might be another pivotal moment coming up soon- similar to the file stealing situation in the Deputy Directors office- where Brian's father is used as serious leverage to get him to do something drastic.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I love this show. I hope they treat it like The Wire and put Brian in a completely different environment every season, like he takes the job at Craft for instance. Or works closely with Morra.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Brian is building quite a set of skills.

Elite hacker
Knows at least, what, 10 languages?
Brazilian jiu jitsu blackbelt
Doctor

What am I forgetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MacDougall posted:

Brian is building quite a set of skills.

Elite hacker
Knows at least, what, 10 languages?
Brazilian jiu jitsu blackbelt
Doctor

What am I forgetting?

Amateur paper mache enthusiast.

• Locked thread