Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

it is possible grognan

it is possible

In seriousness, though, it is kind of stupid for survivor ranks. A killer is practically guaranteed to get a shard if he kills at least 3 people, but a survivor can play perfectly competently and not get a shard. Basically, you need to either repair 2 generators more or less entirely by yourself, or clown the absolute poo poo out of the killer, which is what I have been doing the last few games. Getting a killer stun is +800 boldness points, so if you stun the killer twice and don't die you're basically guaranteed a shard.

The twitch pubstar types duck this by always bringing a toolbox so they can sabotage hooks, which is also fine. Sabotaging hooks is pretty good for the survivor team because it makes it a ton easier to wiggle out and clown the killer for a much longer time. Though on the downside, if you do get hooked it's much more likely to be in the basement, where any sensible survivor is going to leave you to rot. However, it's pretty absurd that you more or less require a toolbox to do this, and toolboxes are the least common item on both the bloodweb and in chests. You can get a rare perk on Jake Park that lets you do it without a toolbox, but it takes so incredibly long to do it without tools that you might as well not bother. Nice for sabotaging trapper traps though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Coolguye posted:

The twitch pubstar types duck this by always bringing a toolbox so they can sabotage hooks, which is also fine. Sabotaging hooks is pretty good for the survivor team because it makes it a ton easier to wiggle out and clown the killer for a much longer time. Though on the downside, if you do get hooked it's much more likely to be in the basement, where any sensible survivor is going to leave you to rot.

So the toolbox is more a gamble, you're sayin'? I can get behind that, as long as it did get nerfed. Or not, since I remember one generator taking a good chunk of your box.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The toolbox is a gamble in the sense that it's very valuable, not that easy to come by, and if you die you lose it. If you have a box, the best thing to do with it by far is to sabotage hooks, in the context of a public game the downside isn't really that much of a downside because if someone gets hooked in the rape basement you're less likely to have half the team gently caress off from the generators and scope out a hook, when the overwhelmingly common outcome of this is to get two people hooked.

You shouldn't use your toolbox on a generator unless it's a really clutch generator, like the last one you need to open the exit while you know the killer's close by or something. Sabotaging three hooks, on the other hand, drastically reduces the danger of an entire section of the map since anyone who gets downed there will probably be able to wiggle out and force the killer to chase them again.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Trilin posted:

Which download regions did you have luck with? I pretty much only play this game with my friends and would like to see the progression system.

Bit late but, Honolulu.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Coolguye posted:

The toolbox is a gamble in the sense that it's very valuable, not that easy to come by, and if you die you lose it. If you have a box, the best thing to do with it by far is to sabotage hooks, in the context of a public game the downside isn't really that much of a downside because if someone gets hooked in the rape basement you're less likely to have half the team gently caress off from the generators and scope out a hook, when the overwhelmingly common outcome of this is to get two people hooked.

You shouldn't use your toolbox on a generator unless it's a really clutch generator, like the last one you need to open the exit while you know the killer's close by or something. Sabotaging three hooks, on the other hand, drastically reduces the danger of an entire section of the map since anyone who gets downed there will probably be able to wiggle out and force the killer to chase them again.

Oh, okay. Sounds good as a survivor then. Though are there any advantages to shutting down the rape basement? Or is it none because there could be more than one?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I know my opinion might be divisive, but I was hoping for day maps, too. Now all the maps are grim dark hellholes. A well lit suburbia at noon can be just as scary with the right tension, and kinda like KF2, this and other horro games suffer from the view that horror can only happen during night time.

I find the game appealing, but one hour in and the environments are already growing stale in their atmosphere.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Another good way to rank up as survivor is to repair an extra generator while the killer is worried about guarding the 2 exits. It's a dumb way to play, but if you want to climb ranks...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

widespread posted:

Oh, okay. Sounds good as a survivor then. Though are there any advantages to shutting down the rape basement? Or is it none because there could be more than one?

You cannot sabotage the hooks in the basement

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
The moment I grab someone vaulting I fall trough the map for some reason, ...GG

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Vahakyla posted:

I know my opinion might be divisive, but I was hoping for day maps, too. Now all the maps are grim dark hellholes. A well lit suburbia at noon can be just as scary with the right tension, and kinda like KF2, this and other horro games suffer from the view that horror can only happen during night time.

I find the game appealing, but one hour in and the environments are already growing stale in their atmosphere.

The game has a flashlight as a means of stunning the killer because of their sensitivity to light. I don't think there will ever be daylight maps in this game.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I've ran into an annoying bug with picking up downed survivors. One time I just froze up for the animation, but the dude was still on the ground. The other time I didn't even get a prompt.

Frustratingly enough the latter was with the exit gates open so he could easily have crawled out, but fortunately he bled out before he could.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

I've ran into an annoying bug with picking up downed survivors. One time I just froze up for the animation, but the dude was still on the ground. The other time I didn't even get a prompt.

Frustratingly enough the latter was with the exit gates open so he could easily have crawled out, but fortunately he bled out before he could.

When this happens, survivors also cannot heal the poor sap. Happened to me in like my 4th game ever. I thought people were just assholes but then when the killer came up and very obviously was trying to grab me I realized something was wrong.

e:

LibbyM posted:

Another good way to rank up as survivor is to repair an extra generator while the killer is worried about guarding the 2 exits. It's a dumb way to play, but if you want to climb ranks...
One time the exits were almost right next to each other and the killer was a hillbilly, so he was patrolling both with his chainsaw charge. I found a nearby generator and fixed it to kill time, and that caused the hillbilly to try to come nail me, and while he was looking for me one of my teammates opened one of the exits. :haw:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 17, 2016

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Killer tip : You can interrupt any survivor action with space to instantly put them on your shoulder (If you then drop them, they are in a "downed" state). So you can pull them off generators, chests, windows, hook/trap sabotage/heal, pull them off their attempt to unhook their friends and even catch them in midair as they are leaping inside the hatch (that one's gotta hurt).

So if you see a survivor about to unhook their friend, don't take a swing at them. Just press space and double up.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Patch Notes (1.0.1)

Fixed various chainsaw sounds.
Fixed various hook sounds.
Adjusted visual for the match results text
Fixed an issue that could cause eye popping during a hook rescue
Fixed various issue that could result in floating chests and barricades
Fixed an issue that could cause drastic framerate drops when healing fellow survivors
Fixed an issue that could cause bloodpoints to display a negative value when players earned more points than their previous total
Fixed an issue that cause the killer to play a "carrying attack" animation after hooking a survivor
Fixed various issues that could occur if a player sabotaged a hook while a killer hooks someone
Fixed an issue that could cause the killer to get stuck in objects when interrupting survivor actions
Added missing shadows to the campfire
Adjusted certain fire materials
Adjusted certain emissive materials
Adjusted certain effects on Meg's hair
Fixed an issue that could prevent players from disarming traps when holding a toolbox
Modified a certain hill tile to prevent certain collision issues
Fixed an issue that could cause escaped players' outlines to be shown to hooked players
Fixed certain issues that could occur when a hooked player disconnects
Item addons will now function properly if the item is given to another player
Adjustments to male and female run animations
Fixed an issue could cause the "Zealous" achievement to be awarded incorrectly
Fixed an issue that could cause players to become stuck if the player healing them taps the input rather than holding it
Fixed an issue that could result in a broken lobby transition when acepting a private lobby invitation while watching a tutorial video
Fixed various UI issues in the Kill Your Friends lobby
Rapidly pressing on "Loadout" and "Switch Role" will no longer result in the loadout background to be displayed without the menu
Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when pressing alt-F4 during the intro video
The "Saboteur" perk was missing its skill check difficulty adjustment. It has been fixed.
The "Spine Chill" and "Premonition" perks were not working correctly. They have been fixed.
Fixed a graphical issue that could occur when a player leaves the match during the sacrifice sequence
Fixed an issue that could cause players to incorrectly lose rank pips when in the tally screen
Fixed an issue that could cause the host player to crash when leaving a public match
Fixed an issue that could cause daily rituals to behave incorrectly for new players
Fixed an issue that could cause the category of maxed out score events to be replaced by "none"
Fixed an issue that could leave a lobby in a state unable to receive new players

also apparently fixed the issue of the person getting healed getting points, instead of the healer
maybe some other fixes, someone said survivors no longer lose points if the killer dc's? unsure
Ranking system is still the same tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Indecisive posted:

Fixed an issue that could cause bloodpoints to display a negative value when players earned more points than their previous total
Oh THAT'S what happened there

e:

I just got KOed and crawled all the way across the level to the single open gate, and successfully made it away. My heart is still loving pounding.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
You lose your items if you've got it equipped and get killed? I keep coming across a lot of poo poo that's just not explained at all and it's kind of frustrating.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

H2SO4 posted:

You lose your items if you've got it equipped and get killed? I keep coming across a lot of poo poo that's just not explained at all and it's kind of frustrating.

Correct, and offerings/upgrades to your attacker specials are one use only.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

H2SO4 posted:

Don't worry too much about losing stuff. It seems like you can replace it fairly often as long as you get an okay score.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

A lot of stuff is actually explained on their website, in the game manual. Not every intricacy, but most of it including lore.

Link: http://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/survivors/

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

A lot of stuff is actually literally explained right on their website, in the game manual. Not every intricacy, but most of it.

Link: http://www.deadbydaylight.com/manual/survivors/

I must have overlooked the link to the manual earlier. They make it seem like the only thing available are the few videos and then it's all glhf.

Another thing that's weird is that if someone picks you off of a hook, it seems like it puts you inside the post. I always seem to have to flail around and duck to actually be able to move again. Is this a glitch or something that's to be expected?

Edit: yeah... that manual isn't very verbose either. I've got perks for one survivor that don't show up under anyone, for instance. Also, I assumed a flashlight blinding the killer means some kind of stun effect is applied, didn't do a thing to the killer running towards me.

And what the hell does this mean? One generator or find an escape hatch? Can't see anything about it in the manual.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Don't worry too much about losing stuff. It seems like you can replace it fairly often as long as you get an okay score.

It's hard to replace toolboxes especially if you lose them, I have taken to equipping Looter's Sense or whatever it is and making sure to plunder a chest on most outings.

You can start building up a backlog for yourself that way. I currently have a half-dozen medkits even though I only had one on the bloodweb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

H2SO4 posted:

And what the hell does this mean? One generator or find an escape hatch? Can't see anything about it in the manual.

Correct, the hatch is unlocked when you are the last survivor left on the map.

So I know you can carry off items if you survive, does that include if you use them up during the map?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I think it's whatever you carry out.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Correct, the hatch is unlocked when you are the last survivor left on the map.

So I know you can carry off items if you survive, does that include if you use them up during the map?

Thanks, does it only spawn when you're the last one alive or is it something you can find while running around too?

Also, per the manual, all of the items replenish if you bring them out with you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The second an item has 0 charges left, it disappears and is gone forever.

If you leave a map with an item that has 1 charge left, it will be deposited as a full, "unused" item in your inventory.

Also, regarding the hatch: You can trip across it at any point, but it is only active with 1 survivor left. There is a wind wooshing sound it makes when you're near it and it's active. It's relatively faint and sounds ambient, so keep your ears sharp. This appears to be documented approximately nowhere but it is a huge help when you're in the poo poo and need an exit.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 18, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

That's not entirely true - the hatch doesn't appear until at least 2 generators have been activated (3 remaining), then once only one survivor is alive it will open by itself. You can also open it with a skeleton key which is rare as hell so GL with that.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Man, this game is very unfun when you're the killer and there's a group of dickheads that just cheese windows and hang out on mumble/etc. The window/pallet vault mechanic needs to get nerfed or that's all the game is going to become.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 18, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H2SO4 posted:

Man, this game is very unfun when you're the killer and there's a group of dickheads that just cheese windows and hang out on mumble/etc.

pretty much this

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Indecisive posted:

That's not entirely true - the hatch doesn't appear until at least 2 generators have been activated (3 remaining), then once only one survivor is alive it will open by itself. You can also open it with a skeleton key which is rare as hell so GL with that.

Will the key work any time, or still only after 2 generators?

Also, in regards to the flashlight, the Wraith (I think) is generally more affected by it, and the Hillbilly less. But I think you have to hold it on their face for a bit to stun them either way.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Cyberdud posted:

Killer tip : You can interrupt any survivor action with space to instantly put them on your shoulder (If you then drop them, they are in a "downed" state). So you can pull them off generators, chests, windows, hook/trap sabotage/heal, pull them off their attempt to unhook their friends and even catch them in midair as they are leaping inside the hatch (that one's gotta hurt).

So if you see a survivor about to unhook their friend, don't take a swing at them. Just press space and double up.

Wait, space? I've been doing it with M1 but it doesn't work half the time.

This changes everything.

Also, what it really is is a profuse weeping simulator. Window cheese, hook camping, disconnecting, sabotage, the basement, the closets, the houses, the grass, attacking, escaping, winning, losing, everyone who plays this game is constantly aggrieved by the idea that something not in their favor might theoretically happen.

I used to be mad about window cheese but I realized that aside from window cheese literally nobody gets away from me once I've spotted them. And I probably get the window cheesers four out of five times, I KOd Bahroo twice in one game. If you got rid of window cheese these shitters wouldn't win a game for the rest of their lives.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Will the key work any time, or still only after 2 generators?

Also, in regards to the flashlight, the Wraith (I think) is generally more affected by it, and the Hillbilly less. But I think you have to hold it on their face for a bit to stun them either way.

Yeah, I don't have a good feel for stunning the killer yet.

Protip for runners, don't be running. poo poo is way easier to see and leaves a trail. If you can break LOS then just stop running and crouch. Most killers are counting on you to panic. I keep running if there are other teammates in the area repairing gens. Crouching is OP.

I am liking trapper though, no loving bells and you can set things up to your advantage.

How do you just kill survivors as the slasher? There's a daily ritual I still have because once they are dying, I cannot hurt them further without hooking. And then I managed to do it anyways hitting a wounded survivor trying to vault a pallet.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
There's an offering called the Memento Mori that lets you kill survivors by holding M1 while they're downed. It plays a special animation and everything.

The Cypress Memento Mori is uncommon and starts showing up around level 5, it only lets you kill the last survivor (who will probably just disconnect when you knock him down) but I believe there are rarer versions that let you kill everyone.

It's a risky-rear end offering since there's a lot of ifs and you can only use it once, but it's pretty cool.

Honestly probably a throwaway ritual unless you already have a bunch of the offerings.

They're apparently coming out with a Friday the 13th game too that looks like total rear end.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, is there a trainer out there to gently caress with netcode? Second game tonight where being survivor was literally like playing planetside one. Glitching every second shifting meters in every direction.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Yes, that's a thing. I do understand why everyone does nothing but cry when they play this game. There's so many bugs, so much bm, so much bullshit. Killer is basically impossible to win against non-retards. LIke I said, I will catch you if you try to window-cheese me, but I'm doing it at the cost of all the generators. Against good players I usually have to be satisfied with the designated bait.

The official strategy is to give up after a few seconds and find somebody else but they're all going to do it so that strategy is really just to give up in general. I pick the one I hate the most and chase him till I get him, then I camp his hook. Hook-camping exists because it's the only way to guarantee at least one kill against semi-non-retarded survivors. Of course there's very few semi-non-retarded survivors, so I still usually win with at least three.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Wow I've heard people talking about this but holy balls that looks like garbage.

Mister Bup posted:

Yes, that's a thing. I do understand why everyone does nothing but cry when they play this game. There's so many bugs, so much bm, so much bullshit. Killer is basically impossible to win against non-retards. LIke I said, I will catch you if you try to window-cheese me, but I'm doing it at the cost of all the generators. Against good players I usually have to be satisfied with the designated bait.

The official strategy is to give up after a few seconds and find somebody else but they're all going to do it so that strategy is really just to give up in general. I pick the one I hate the most and chase him till I get him, then I camp his hook. Hook-camping exists because it's the only way to guarantee at least one kill against semi-non-retarded survivors. Of course there's very few semi-non-retarded survivors, so I still usually win with at least three.

People cry foul at every asymmetrical game, they play a few rounds and then crow non-stop. The idea that window-cheese is a problem is just an example that they can not understand the greater strategy involved, you are wasting your time messing with these guys while the rest of their team keeps banging out objectives.

Jimb fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 18, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

lol I get lots of games where I get 500 blood points because the killer knows where everyone is.

Edit: everyone else in this game had all ultra rare perks

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The killer knows where everyone is because people start running the moment they hear the terror aura. My heart sinks a little when I come to a generator and see scratches all over.

The perks thing is cause bloodpoints are stored locally. :downsbravo: Apparently they're working on a fix and planning to ban everybody who exploited it.

My main issue with the standard response to window cheese is that yeah, I can leave because they're wasting my time, but when I get to the next guy he's gonna do it too. If my only response to window cheese is to leave, well I'd better just leave the match cause you can't win by giving up. Thankfully most of the window-cheesers aren't actually good at it and get caught really quick trying dumb poo poo. The new one I've seen is pallet hugging where they stay by a pallet until you run up and try to stun you and run for the 800 points. I'm fine with that one because it's really risky and half the time just gets the dumbass killed when he ends up on the wrong side of the pallet or gets hit before the stun goes off.

The Jason game might be fun for a while in single-player but there's no way taht poo poo's gonna work multiplayer. Like, I can open up a window to act like I ran out, except Jason can see that I'm still in the building and even if I did leave he can see the pings where I"m running. Cool.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 18, 2016

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Bup posted:

The perks thing is cause bloodpoints are stored locally. :downsbravo: Apparently they're working on a fix and planning to ban everybody who exploited it.
I knew it! These guys didn't seem to have the whole "don't trust the client" gig going.

Mister Bup posted:

The new one I've seen is pallet hugging where they stay by a pallet until you run up and try to stun you and run for the 800 points. I'm fine with that one because it's really risky and half the time just gets the dumbass killed when he ends up on the wrong side of the pallet or gets hit before the stun goes off.

Pallet hugging was really common back in the beta. Normally I either do a full stop just before reaching it, causing them to whiff the stun or more recently I do a charged attack. The lunge outranges the stun so you can easily get a hit in on the guy, although you might still get stunned.
Thing is, as mentioned: hurt guys make noise. :getin:

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!
Some random ramblings:

The patch changed the way distant sounds work. You can no longer determine the direction of the killer by the far away sounds of chainsaw and bells. Instead they sound more like a distant background noise.
For gods sake don't try to help survivors hooked in the basement. They're gone.
If you time the starting edge of a skill check (the thick line), you get bonus points and the meter jumps forward slightly, shaving off a couple seconds from the process.
"Luck" skill is apparently the probability to jump off a hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
These survivors are not nearly clever enough to pull the poo poo they're trying to pull. WHat sucks is they usually manage it anyway cause the latency and hit detection is so broken. Have you had the thing where they follow you to the hook and start unhooking the guy before the animation is even finished? That one shouldn't go very well cause interrupting the unhook is an insta-down, but insta-downs never actually work.

Also don't listen to people saying closets are useless. You get caught in the closet because you jumped in while the killer was chasing you. At best he knows you're nearby, at worst there's blood and scratches all over the closet.

If I don't know you're there, I'm not going to waste time checking closets. They're also zero-visibility. All it takes is a little bit sticking out from behind something to blow your cover and get you killed. With closets there's no risk of that.

Ideal closet time is when you're doubling a generator and the other guy blows it. Walk -- don't run! -- to the nearby closet and hide. When the killer gets there he'll see one survivor, go after him, and then you can get back to the generator. He won't bother making sure there's not a second one.

• Locked thread