Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

saintonan posted:

Back when I played regularly, we used a chess clock for each turn (that was not generously set) to help simulate the chaos of war. Any units that didn't get moved were just unit commanders that didn't have their poo poo together, which is a fairly common occurrence in war anyway. It also greatly helped with the pace of play.

The only issue with time clocks is that, for a lot of scenarios, you really need to make the most out of anyone you have, and limiting the potential movement/actions of the attacker can be much harder for them then the defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
TGW-2: The Fox's First Bite - Part 1

quote:

After having recovered from a bullet wound in the leg, the younglieutenant Erwin Rommel is sent back on the front lines in the Argonneat the beginning of the year 1915. On the 29thof January, Rommel at the head of an infantry company will use all his cunning and mastery during an assault on the French trenches known as Labordaire andCentrale. Refusing a classical straightforward and deadly assault, he uses cover and his men sneak out of their trench by crawling and fall on the French first lines which are taken completely by surprise.

German Strategy

The map looks to be a difficult one to have to deal with, and I'm having to rewrite this strategy talk from memory so apologies. The Germans have an unclear objective of capturing all the French Trench hexes, but I never quite figured out if that meant also nabbing the Trench hexes at the back that are actually Gullies, and only treated as Deep Trenches. Regardless, this is a dense counter scenario in the worst way, with even more density when Crest status is invoked. The special SSRs also don't give the Germans any benefits, which will be problematic for getting across the open ground and into French territory. The one thing in my favor is that Hypnobeard left their right flank vaguely defended, and I will do what I can to take advantage.

Victory Condition: The Germans win at Game End if they control all French Trench hexes.

Turn 1 - German

Plenty of movement occurs, and I lose two squads immediately to a good roll on Hypnobeard's behalf. (A 2KIA!) As well, a Casualty Reduction takes out another few men as I get to the wire littering the field of play. Getting under it is a chore, forcing you to spend precious MFs (Movement Factors) to get "under" the wire so that you can continue unscathed. Essentially, wire will waste a turn of movement, guaranteed.

Despite my loses, the fire I can pour on to the meager French defenses next to my forces is tremendous, and both nearest units break.

Turn 1 - French

Hypnobeard moves to cover the gaping hole in the line, but little is accomplished by either of us.

Turn 2 - German

More movement, this time almost exclusively to get under wire, sees a few more men break under fire in pin where they lie. On my end, nothing of note is gained other than some ground.

Turn 2 - French

Shots from units in position continue, while more men approach under the cover of the trenches themselves. I get a lucky break shooting from CC7 to BB7, those trenches provide +3 TEM, which is a pain to overcome.

An ensuing Close Combat sees my squad perish.

Turn 3 - German

The main thing to note is the fact that I cover the entirety of the French reinforcement entrance hexes with fire possibilities from at least 4 separate hexes. I've nullified any balance of power before they even show up! (This is part of bad design of a scenario)

And as they come in from off-board, they are forced into open ground rather than risk being shot at during the movement phase. The advance phase brings two squads into the woods to fight my lone squad, and we trade out units, with a French squad remaining in the woods.

To Be Continued...

Victory Conditions: Control of all French trenches? NO

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 19, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pointless counter density is a crime!

Thread title spotted.

That scenario looks like an unfun slog, goddamn.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Thread title spotted.

That scenario looks like an unfun slog, goddamn.

The worst is that, since youre using wire and trenches, sometimes overlapping, you also need to use crest status if you want to shoot out of the trenches. Movement has been a chore.

Also, and Hypnobeard made this comment very soon after seeing the scenario, theres a dugout on the upper side of the trenches.

A dugout.

It does nothing special, and the one thing it COULD have been useful against, artillery, isn't available for the Germans.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A dugout.

It does nothing special, and the one thing it COULD have been useful against, artillery, isn't available for the Germans.

At a guess, I'd say the creator of this scenario thought historical accuracy trumped good gameplay. And/or didn't realize that the game didn't have a way to really model the battle well; for example in the description it mentions that the French are taken entirely by surprise as the Germans sneak right up to the trenches. But you can't really do that, so it just ends up being a normal charge into the enemy guns in a bid to gain the trenches. Probably should have had some SSRs to let the German forces not be targetted until they're adjacent to a French counter or something. I dunno, just spitballing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shoeless posted:

At a guess, I'd say the creator of this scenario thought historical accuracy trumped good gameplay. And/or didn't realize that the game didn't have a way to really model the battle well; for example in the description it mentions that the French are taken entirely by surprise as the Germans sneak right up to the trenches. But you can't really do that, so it just ends up being a normal charge into the enemy guns in a bid to gain the trenches. Probably should have had some SSRs to let the German forces not be targetted until they're adjacent to a French counter or something. I dunno, just spitballing.

I spitballed ideas to Hypnobeard in the stream, notably that the Germans should get one of the following:

1. SSR that allows the German player to roll 3 separate dr's before the French setup. On a 1-3, the German eliminates a Wire counter, a 4-6 yields no result. [If this is too "strong" make it so destroyed wire counters can't be adjacent to each other.

This makes it so that the Germans don't know the French setup regardless of what happens, while also allowing them to create one or more openings in the wire. This also isn't ahistorical, with raiding parties using the cover of darkness to cut openings into barbed-wire defenses frequently.

2. SSR that gives the Germans one artillery module. Trenches are already strong against artillery, it gives a purpose to the dugout, AND you can have it destroy wire as well. Have it occur before play or during Turn 1 as mandatory Harassing Fire.

This allows for artillery, which is fun, limits its destructive potential, while also permitting the Germans to use it as cover or as a tool to potentially open wire.

Otherwise, the other way would be to simply have "natural" gaps in the wire.

This also doesn't address the problem of having to capture the entirety of the French trench, which is a lot of ground to cover, and is restricted by the French simply existing in any given trench hex. I will likely HAVE to kill all the French to have a chance at winning this scenario.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thread Vote #1:

In preparation for Scenario #7 - Le Franc Tireur's LFT-118 Exit Plans, I need the thread to decide whether I will be playing as:

A - Red Russians
B - Czechs

Additionally, I need help choosing a reinforcement group for each side

1: Red Russians get 2x4-4-7, 1x2-2-7 crew, 1x8-0 Leader, 1x MMG, 1xDC
2: Red Russians get 1x3-4-7, 1x7-0, 1xLMG, 1xArmored Car

or, as the Czechs

3: Czechs get 2x4-5-8, 1x9-2, 1xDC
4: Czechs get 4x4-5-7, 1x9-1, 2xLMG

Need votes in by Thursday [Tomorrow] 11pm EST.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

B

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

B

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

B

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

B

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And lo', I shall play as the Czechs, Hypnobeard the Red Russians. I will get the 4-squad reinforcement group, whereas they will receive the armored car group.

Thank you all who voted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
TGW-2: The Fox's First Bite - Part 2

State of the Board

The Germans have a definitive FP advantage. The French reinforcements are guaranteed to die as long as I can break them, and I can chance a melee here and there. All the red-circled Trenches are unoccupied, green is the opposite. I have a lot of dumb hexes to cover. Forced platoon movement, high MF costs to enter and exit trenches. Ugh.

Turn 4 - German

The turn sees all French reinforcements killed or broken by my units, and survivors are eliminated for Failure to Rout. Not sure if they should've been Captured or not, but I would've declared No Quarter anyways.

Turn 4 - French

Before

After

Trading shots and breaking equivalent units, I have the upper hand thanks to manpower, but I've only got a few more turns to move...

Turn 5 - German

Everyone bunches up, with the forward troops used to draw fire, break, or die, to allow for Rommel and his merry men to approach and begin planning large-FP shots against any available target.

Some hand-to-hand occurs in a trench, but I only score a Casualty Reduction.

Turn 5 - French

Shots are exchanged, but importantly several French units are forced to rout all the way back. This is problematic because I have to chase them down. The Melee in Z8 sees more casualties, with me losing a squad and Hypnobeard having another Casualty Reduction.

Turn 6 - German

And this is where we called it a draw. I could theoretically get to any/most of the French trenches, but Hypnobeard's units could survive, and our patience was already wearing thin on this scenario,

Victory Conditions: Control of all French trenches? NO

Losses so far
German: 7.5 Squads
French: 8.5 Squads + 1 Leader

# of French Unbroken squads at game end: 3 (1 was in melee in Z8)
# of Hexes left to control: 15

Ugh. Really not a fan of this scenario. Thankfully, LFT's Exit Plans is going to be much, much better.

quote:

The German assault is a success, they capture the trenches and their even get hold of a French strongpoint located behind the trenches. But without any ammunition left or reinforcements, Rommel has to fall back in the trenches from which the French counter-attacks will fail to get him out. Rommel will be decorated with the First Class Iron Cross for this action.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
God damnit edit is not quote.

Well there goes the original post...

Fixed as well as I could.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 19, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Not sure how much I like that the game seems to have no downsides for going all Night Lords on POWs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Not sure how much I like that the game seems to have no downsides for going all Night Lords on POWs.

If Prisoners are ever rejected, No Quarter gods into effect, which essentially makes it so that nobody will ever "voluntarily" surrender for the duration of the scenario.

This will be important once CVP and scenarios where getting Prisoners is important. If you can't get prisoners "normally" then you have to CC for it., which is dangerous and time consuming

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If Prisoners are ever rejected, No Quarter gods into effect, which essentially makes it so that nobody will ever "voluntarily" surrender for the duration of the scenario.

This will be important once CVP and scenarios where getting Prisoners is important. If you can't get prisoners "normally" then you have to CC for it., which is dangerous and time consuming

They also added the interrogation rules in Chapter E. The justification given is:

quote:

2.1 INTERROGATION: In scenarios where Victory Conditions are not based on Casualty Victory Points (A26.21), the incentive for taking prisoners is greatly lessened; presumably only the effects of No Quarter (A20.3) prevent wholesale cardboard war crimes. This incentive can be increased in many scenarios by providing immediate practical application of information made available by those prisoners. Use of the Interrogation rule reinforces the importance of taking prisoners at the tactical level, where otherwise the need to guard such prisoners can be looked upon as a disadvantage.

I quite like the phrase "wholesale cardboard war crimes"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

They also added the interrogation rules in Chapter E. The justification given is:

Yeah, I think the problem is that Interrogation is treated as a optional rule. I've seen it mentioned in SSRs like... twice? That I recall, anyways.

I'll probably talk to Hypnobeard about it and see how much we'll want to use it going forward, especially once the war gets to Europe.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No session tonight unfortunately. Will pick back up next schedule date, wednesday

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-118: Exit Plans - Part 1

Date: 29 June 1918

Czech Legion Strategy

We've got a complicated scenario today. The Czech Legion is desperate to get home, and has trekked thousands of miles across the continent, finally making it to Vladivostok and the port that will take the hopeful survivors to their native land. Doing so is going to be a little tougher than I expect. The objective the Czechs must accomplish, written below, involves capturing multi-hex stone buildings as well as dealing casualties to the Red Russians attempting to prevent my men (and women) from going home. My plan is to try and swarm several different locations at once and keep the Russians busy. Three of the building objectives are near my starting area, and with very few defenders. The 15 VP will be a welcome addition to my efforts.

Of note, one building is off to the north, not seen in the image above. The other 3 top-most ones are difficult or dangerous to get to due to the stream on one side and the open field on the other. Having to move more to get to them instead of the front(ish) three also opens me up for more attacks. In any case, I've got almost two dozen squads, plenty of Light Machine Guns, and several vehicles to work with.

Victory Condition: The Czechs win at the end of any Player Turn upon earning 60 or more VP without suffering 35 or more CVP. Each multi-hex stone building is worth 5 VP.

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moist. There is a Mild Breeze to the South. PTO terrain is in effect [EXC: Brush, Hedges, Roads]

Rubble Rubble Toil and Trouble: Debris and Rubble is randomly generated.

Hidden and Dangerous: Red Russians may HIP up to 2 MMCs along with accompanying SMCs and SWs.

Comms Czech: Each AC has a radio.

Turn 1 - Czech Legion

A squad attempts to go up the right flank but breaks before making it to the forest adjacent to the objective location. A Taczanka goes down the same path as the cavalry squad, gets shot at by the artillery piece at the top of the hill, but proves to be too fast for the gunners.

Annoyingly, the Infantry gun on the left scores a kill on a Taczanka, then immediately wipes out a full squad charging on horses. Hypnobeard is not allowed to complain about bad rolls for the next 3 scenarios! Also, we played it slightly wrong, as there shouldn't have been any residual firepower if the gun wished to retain its Rate of Fire.

Otherwise just plenty of movement. I made one major mistake, having left my armored car on the right flank next to the woods. I should've had them park one hex to the right to force a change of covered arc if they were to shoot again.

Only a few shots are taken by the Czechs, but nothing finds its mark, sadly.

And lastly, post-advances, the Infantry gun crew on the left was ambushed and killed.

Victory Conditions:
Multi-hex Stone Buildings controlled: 2 (10 LVP)
CVP Acquired: 2 CVP
CVP Lossed: 8 CVP

12/8 of 60/35 Limit

To Be Continued...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 1, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

EC is moist :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-118 Exit Plans - Part 2

State of the Board

A couple of broken units, one squad high up in the top right corner, at least one vehicle in position to shoot at the Artillery piece at the Level 2 hill. Now is the need for more posturing to really close the jaws around the troops in the village. I think this'll take at least 3 turns, although highly dependent on good rolls and my avenues of approach.

Turn 1 - Red Russians

I fail to rally anyone, and my poor vehicle positioning dooms them as the Artillery gun takes an easy shot and blows it away. That's a costly 4 point error. Additional shots are made against units closing in on the left and right flanks, but the worst my men suffer are a pin result.

Hypnobeard moved only a handful of units around, but I can't tell what they are due to my limited visibility. My only victory was causing a Morale Check against the Artillery crew by my concealed men in the woods at EE10, which Hypnobeard rolled Boxcars for a Casualty MC. The crew flees the field, gun intact. I need to capture that gun!

A few more moves occur in the Advance Phase, but nothing altogether important.

Turn 2 - Czech Legion

Few shots are made by the Czechs, as there is a massive need to move and secure more objectives. Of note, A squad breaks on the upper side of the village thanks to some snake eyes by the Red Russians. Both half-squads moving up the hill are either broken or pinned. Their goal was to approach the multi-hex stone building and absorb shots for the other units getting into the wooden house. On the left, both the Taczanka and my remaining 75mm AA-armed vehicle move to better positions, and a squad with an LMG gets closer to the Red Russians in the upper-stone building location.

The Russians continue to shoot at every man they can see, and luckily for me only pin a squad, while my sniper takes a shot and pins down a squad adjacent to two of my own. As the Advance Fire Phase arrives, my DC explodes, blowing out the wall and pinning the Russians behind it. Both these pins will be great for any Close Combat I wish to do.

Three separate Close Combat actions take place, with the previously pinned-via-DC men being ambushed and quickly dealt with. The middle combat devolves into a Melee when neither side is victorious, while the upper-right combat sees a squad of Red Russians perish in return for a half-squad of Czechs.

Turn 2 - Red Russians

Another hectic set of shots and movement. The Red Russians have three individual armored cars move, one trying to circle around on my right flank, one to replace it up top, and a third that approached dangerously close to my own armored fighting vehicles. On a whim, I chose to have my gunner with the 75mm gun shoot at it, and the line of sight was clear. Despite a miss, the crew was able to retain their rate of fire.

In the Defensive Fire Phase, my AFV crew comes alive with a critical hit that obliterates the Armored Car, turning it into a blazing wreck. I have to be really careful with that AC on the right flank, and both of my squads AND the leader on the upper left side break during this turn.

The results of the AC carcass are apparent, generating blinding smoke for two hexes downwind. If I can manage to rally the broken men in the woods, that smokescreen will be of vital importance...

Elsewhere, the melee continues as a squad is reduced to a half-squad.

Victory Conditions:
Multi-hex Stone Buildings controlled: 2 (10 LVP)
CVP Acquired: 10 CVP
CVP Lossed: 13 CVP

20/13 of 60/35 Limit

To Be Continued...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This thread is putting bad ideas in my head. I lost what little ASL stuff I had in a move a while ago (and I have no idea where my SQ/CoI/CoD/GI:AoV stuff ever went).

Do the starter kits have to be acquired in numerical order (#1 is super-pricy per a quick search)? And do they contain relevant rules or is the rulebook a separate purchase (and I saw the link for that upthread)? Finally, what does "Starter Kit #1 Expansion #1" mean -- more scenarios/etc. for the stuff already included in Starter Kit #1?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Admiralty Flag posted:

This thread is putting bad ideas in my head. I lost what little ASL stuff I had in a move a while ago (and I have no idea where my SQ/CoI/CoD/GI:AoV stuff ever went).

Do the starter kits have to be acquired in numerical order (#1 is super-pricy per a quick search)? And do they contain relevant rules or is the rulebook a separate purchase (and I saw the link for that upthread)? Finally, what does "Starter Kit #1 Expansion #1" mean -- more scenarios/etc. for the stuff already included in Starter Kit #1?

Essentially all Starter Kits can be treated as separate products, where none are needed before another. The only difference between SK's are that they each tend to focus on one (new) type of gameplay, and the scenarios reflect that.

SK #1: Infantry
SK #2: Support Weapons, Guns
SK #3: Vehicles
SK #4: Pacific Theatre of Operations

The Expansion packs just add more scenarios for the respective kit it is supplementing, from what I can remember.

:siren:(The below link is a list of free downloadable material made available by MMP on their own website, including several scenarios):siren:

https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6 MMP also allows anyone to download a copy of Starter Kit #4's rulebook, which includes all rules prior to it (IE: SK1, SK2, and SK3)

Each Kit's rulebook is tailored to its theme, including everything in the prior Kit(s). So SK2's rulebook has all of SK1 and SK2, etc.

Eventually, we'll be making our way into Starter Kit scenarios, and will be playing them accordingly, though it may be a while. And if you have any questions about rules please feel free to ask :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Found this at the linked page, its very useful to understand just how much information is on each individual counter!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-118 Exit Plans - Part 3

State of the Board

With a new smokescreen having been formed in front of an important location, a substantial melee developing in the bottom center for control of a multi-hex building, and some wary vehicles that are too fragile to attack, but too valuable to let sit back, I've got to find a way to take control of the three multi-hex stone buildings I'm currently contesting (The left opposing-LMGs, the Center Melee, the Right-side malfunctioned LMG).

Turn 3 - Czech Legion

While my rallies aren't successful, I still get a ton of movement accomplished for the result of two breaks only. One down below and one up top (adjacent to the 3-4-7 you can barely see up there). The pressure is mounting for me to make some significant gains in a decisive manner.

Hence the massive number of CCs I'm instigating. My men are stealthy and get a -1 CC DRM, so any CC I can get should swing my way.

#1: 1-1 Ratio between two squads. Czechs get the Ambush, but no result achieved for either side.
#2: 4-1 Ratio between 2 Czech squads and 1 Red Russian Crew. Czechs get Ambush, Crew dies.
#3: 4-1 Ratio between 1 Czech squad and 1 Red Russian Leader. Czechs don't Ambush, Leader dies.

Melee:
Red Russians = 1x4-4-7, 1x9-1, 1x1-3-7
Czech Legion = 2x4-5-7, 1x2-4-8

2 Czech Squads attack 1 Red Russian Squad + Leader = Ratio of 3-2 ||| 1 Czech Half-Squad attacks 1 Red Russian Half-Squad = Ratio 2-1
Red Russians are attacking 1 Czech Squad = Ratio 3-2

All three attacks are successful, the Red Russians lose everyone in the Melee, Czechs lose a Squad.

Turn 3 - Red Russians

The Red Russians get some reinforcements and move around some vehicles and infantry but there's not much I can do against it. My Taczanka on the upper hill tries to shoot at a vehicle but their LOS is blocked so nothing happens.

As the defensive fire phase rolls around, I attempt a crazy shot from my buttoned up 75mm-gun AFV in U2 (Near the Melee) and roll snake eyes on my To Hit roll for a Critical Hit. The modifiers were +1 for wreck, +2 for smoke, +1 for BU, +1 for Small Target. Why is that important? Well, its possible to roll a Critical Hit but still miss because your modifiers are so high. This becomes a possible "Improbably Hit" where, with a subsequent dr (1 die) of 1, 2, or 3, the shot is resolved as the Critical Hit. Crazy risk for Crazy reward sometimes.

In this case, the additional blaze just makes more of a smokescreen in the center of the board, prime stuff for me to move around or through.

Sadly, it was at this point that Hypnobeard conceded. The Red Russians had lost a fair bit of units, and I was in control of 4 multi-hex stone buildings. It doesn't help that I was in the process of gaining an extra two buildings in the next two turns, and the losses the Red Russians would take would bring that number to 58, with a vulnerable vehicle nearby, or any loss of a squad being immediate game over.

Victory Conditions:
Multi-hex Stone Buildings controlled: 4 (20 LVP)
CVP Acquired: 23 CVP
CVP Lossed: 15 CVP

43/15 of 60/35 Limit

quote:

Historical Result
The Communists had just finished consolidating most of their gains in Vladivostok. Unbeknownst to the Reds, the Japanese had given very detailed information to the Czechs about Red Army positions. The members of the Czech Far Eastern Brigade in Vladivostok attacked and crushed the main Red Army position in Vladivostok with the Reds suffering 160 dead. The Reds were driven out of the city in two days. In under two months, the Reds had been pushed into the hills over 100 miles away by the Czechs and the Japanese. The Czech Legion in Vladivostok had finalized their exit plans.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 8, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Post-game analysis:

I hope my commentary during the scenario wasn't too harsh. I really have to say that this scenario is a tough puzzle for the Red Russians, where you really need to know when to abandon a position and when to fight for it. It REALLY didn't help that Hypnobeard told me that they forgot their OB-given Concealment counters, meaning there was potential for a bunch of fake units to keep me guessing. This inadvertently helped me out because I didn't have to worry about where fakes were or weren't as more time passed.

That said, I really appreciated Hypnobeard's initial positioning for both their 37mm Infantry gun, and the larger 76mm Artillery piece on the hill. The third gun... well it could've been placed elsewhere. I think some the AFVs could've also been more aggressive as I really lacked the ability to destroy them if I didn't have a 75mm armed vehicle in the nearby area.

I had an expensive first turn for CVP losses and I really didn't want to throw more units (re: Taczankas) at the problem out of fear of losing 6CVP for little to no gain, as well as a truly poor decision for the 75mm vehicle on the right, not being placed outside of the gun's covered arc and forcing the CA change DRMs if they wanted to shoot at it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-119: Calmness Under Fire - Part 1

Location: Near Lake Khanka, Trans-Siberian Railway, Maritime Province, Siberia

Date: 23 August 1918

Briefing: Colonel John Ward and the 25th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment had been ordered to Vladivostok from Singapore by way of Hong Kong. These were the first British troops to set foot on Russian soil in the east to help support the White Russians. Upon hearing that Magyar forces were pushing back Cossacks and Czech Legion troops near Lake Khanka, Col. Ward moved his troops into position to block the next attack. During the evening of the 22nd of August, the observation post for both British armored trains, along with part of the Middlesex MG Battery, plus some Czech infantry, were ordered forward to a hill overlooking the railway. On the morning of the 23rd, orders were received to fall back to another position closer to both British armored trains. However, as the message to fall back was being delivered, the Magyars attacked.

Entente Strategy

The British have to get off-board, the Czech Legion are there to screen their retreat, and the Magyars are coming in from the North and the East. Any British units that are still onboard by the end of the game will give VP to the Magyars, and the numbers are so tight that I can't really afford to have anyone remain. Additionally, I can't malfunction the MMGs intentionally, so, provided I don't break them by shooting them all the time, that is almost a guaranteed 2 to 4 VP... out of 6, that the Magyars need! Now, if I have the speed to do it, I'll have the British run through the open ground in order to maximise the distance they can get, otherwise I'll have to go through the woods in the bottom-left corner. I've got 6 turns and have to lose at least 2 to make sure I secure the 2nd level locations.

Looking back at this, my setup was rather poor. There's a high chance that Hypnobeard could've set up entirely on the right and force all my units to relocate, out of their foxholes, and force me to run in the open to protect those Level 2 Locations.
Additionally, I was hoping to have a 3rd player to play as one of the sides, Magyars, British, or Czech Legion, but sadly that fell through after we didn't get a reply. If anyone wants to be a pinch hitter for these circumstances, let me know here or as a PM.

Victory Condition: The Magyars win if they control all Level 2 Locations by the end of Turn 2 or; If they earn 6 or more VP (SSR6)

[SSR6: The Magyars earn 2 VP for each functional Russian MMG they possess, or 1 VP if it is per malfunctioned MMG. Additionally, for each British personnel onboard at Game End, treat their CVP values as earned for VP purposes]

Special Rules
Weather: EC is Moderate. There is no Wind. All Orchards are Crags, and treat Crags as Rout and Rally Terrain as if Woods.

Prepared Defenses: All British Personnel/MMG may set up in Foxholes if in suitable terrain.

Hidden and Dangerous: The Entente may HIP up to 1 Squad (+SW/SMC with it).

I Need A Hero: The British 7-0 SMC begins Heroic.

Turn 1 - Magyars

The turn opens up with some shots from the Magyars just North of the British. One of my squads in F8 breaks from an attack on their positions and in return I only manage to pin a squad.

I get a great roll on the 1-1 Ratio CC for the F8 hex, taking a Casualty Reduction for killing both the Leader and the Squad they were with.

Turn 1 - Entente

I get a break against a conscript squad, but I would've much preferred that result against the adjacent squad in E9, instead of malfunctioning the newly-retrieved Magyar LMG.

The Czech Legion moves into position to cover the retreat of the British.

My luck takes a turn for the worse when the squad that malfunctioned the Magyar LMG breaks from return fire by the advancing foe. I pull a Squad and my Heroic leader (INSERT NAME HERE) from G8 to fill in that gap. Additionally, I move some units back from I8 to I7.

Turn 2 - Magyars

Shots to my Squad with the MMG in H8 fail to find their mark, and return fire breaks a squad in H10/H0. On the right, a firegroup by both Magyar squads rolls well and kills both broken Half-Squads there. :sigh: (Post Game Note: I'm glad this shot wasn't against my men in the foxholes at F8. That would've potentially broken them, and leave me with very little to defend on Level 2.

To Be Continued...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also minor update but the streams will now take place on Friday and Saturday nights instead of Wednesday and Saturday.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh dang. This scenario seems like it could easily get decided within the first couple turns just by how close the British and Magyar forces start together and with how few points the Magyars need to win.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Shoeless posted:

Oh dang. This scenario seems like it could easily get decided within the first couple turns just by how close the British and Magyar forces start together and with how few points the Magyars need to win.

Turns out those don't matter until the end! The only early win condition is capturing the level 2s.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shoeless posted:

The game can end on Turn 2 if they control all Level 2 hill locations, which there are only 3, so yeah.

Otherwise, the VP thing is NOT kills, but only British units remaining onboard at the end of the scenario, on top of any MMGs the Magyars can capture.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-119: Calmness Under Fire - Part 2

State of the Board

Most of the British occupy the line, but I'll rapidly change posture in order to secure my retreat. The faster I run, the less chance I have of them breaking and/or being stuck in their foxholes. I've also stolen one of the Magyar LMGs. I can't repair it, as I'm not allowed to repair malfunctioned enemy Machine Guns, but by keeping it and running away with it, I'm denying Hypnobeard the chance at retrieving it and fixing it. My Czech troops are also in positions to cover a direct northern approach, and screening the eastern side.

Turn 2 - Entente

In the rally phase, I deploy the squad with the MMG in H8, giving the MMG to a half-squad (this is to allow me to move the MMG while leaving a screening force, while minimizing the risk of losing both units). The major success is breaking both Magyar squads on the hill in E9, but I screw up my movement phase by forgetting that Foxholes require you to spend 1 MF to get out, and THEN 1 MF to leave the hex. I was treating it as 1MF to get out of the hex. Some units will be moved back into the Foxholes on the next turn to compensate/punish me for this, including one MMG.

Turn 3 - Magyars

Look at all those reinforcements! The two shots from up north have no effect, and Hypnobeard moves a bunch. Now, I feel I should point out that it would have helped their odds if they'd taken a few more risks here. With the low range my men have (3 for the Czechs!), of up to 6 at half firepower (2), I can't offer much in the way of resistance if any of my shots miss. The only thing I have going for me is the odd -2 modifier and residual firepower. Is that something to worry about if you outnumber your foe 2 to 1? Up to you to decide!

Its important to keep in mind that a defender giving away their concealment for a defensive fire attack opens them up to Advancing Fire and, in this circumstance, nearly impossible to regain.

Turn 3 - Entente

GET THE LEAD OUT!

A break against a Magyar conscript in the grain makes life a little easier, but I should stress that no shots were taken at long-range, which is more a symptom of the positioning they're in after a turn of movement. This is also where it became more obvious to me that something regarding the Victory Conditions did not "click" with the Huns.

By the end of this turn, I've got two leaders off the map, denying about 3 CVP to my opponent.

Turn 4 - Magyars

The Magyars get their groove on this turn, and barely suffer any detrimental results. A Conscript squad moving from J10 to K10 goes Berserk and then immediately charges the Czechs in L7, and a lucky shot in Final Protective Fire kills them without breaking the squad as well. A lucky shot from Hypnobeard killed the Half-Squad holding the MMG in I7, which the Hero [Named After You For A Low, Low Price] immediately grabs in preparation to shoot at the advancing enemy. The shot, against the Magyar 9-1 leader and the squad with them, forced a sniper check which I actually succeeded, but the sniper targeted... the broken units. The pin result does nothing against them.

The aggressive posture does wonders for the Magyars, pinning a squad down in G2, Casualty Reducing the Squad assisting the Heroic Leader, then subsequently breaking them.

Turn 4 - Entente

And this is where my luck pays off, and the misunderstanding of the Victory Condition becomes clear. A 4FP shot broke the 9-1 Leader + the squad it was with, the Hero survived an alright shot and the big stack with my 9-1 and the MMG just... casually walked off the map. I'm not sure why Hypnobeard didn't shoot at them from the foxhole in H7, I stalled a little bit to see if they would shoot, but we were under different impressions for what would result as a win for either side. I'm more surprised the question never came up.

In any case, my men exited offboard and there were not enough British/MMGs onboard remaining to allow for Hypnobeard to get the victory and the scenario was called an Entente win. Understandably, the rules are not written as precisely as they could and, because of that, it ruined the end of this rather upbeat scenario.

State of the board at game end.

Entente Victory

quote:

Historical Result: The Magyars wanted to push the British off of the hill overlooking the railway while hopefully capturing some British soldiers and their Maxim machine guns. The British troops, quite outnumbered and with both MGs equipped with faulty rounds, made a controlled withdrawal from the hill to a forested area occupied by a company of Czech infantry. At one point, the Magyar infantry closed in on the R.N. observation post personnel. Royal Marine Sgt. Mitchel calmly kneeled and fired at Magyar infantry, driving over a platoon of the enemy to ground amongst the tall marsh grass in the area. Although forced to abandon a malfunctioned machine gun, the British troops displayed a calmness under fire which was admired by both friend and foe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Post Game Analysis

Hypnobeard was doing well with their aggression by the last turn of the scenario, but the dice favored me this time around when breaking the center grain-occupiers. Were it not for that, I'm sure the exit of my 9-1 Leader, the 2HS, and the MMG would've been contested and likely broken/forced to rout in a rather unpleasant fashion.

The scenario, without that one poorly-written SSR, is a lot of fun, fast-paced, and provides an interesting enough scenario that I highly recommend it be played if you happen to own From the Cellar Pack 4.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Post Game Analysis

Hypnobeard was doing well with their aggression by the last turn of the scenario, but the dice favored me this time around when breaking the center grain-occupiers. Were it not for that, I'm sure the exit of my 9-1 Leader, the 2HS, and the MMG would've been contested and likely broken/forced to rout in a rather unpleasant fashion.

The scenario, without that one poorly-written SSR, is a lot of fun, fast-paced, and provides an interesting enough scenario that I highly recommend it be played if you happen to own From the Cellar Pack 4.

Yeah that one didn't make a lot of sense. I wish they hadn't used "CVP" for the terminology, because that obviously led me to think "casualty victory points." I am honestly 100% not sure how the Magyars win this one, without immediately storming the hill, which is.. iffy, because if they kill the Brits they're hurting themselves, because it removes potential CVP from the end, but they need to do that in order to secure the hexes. I think I'd probably flip the groups? The elites seem like they'd be better at storming the hill, but it's a crapshoot either way.

I'm honestly not entirely sure how to play it, since there's no real way to stop the Brits from moving at will without taking the chance of killing them. You can't choose to take a less result, so welp, all those 2s and 3s you're rolling are now actively defeating your chances of victory. I mean, I guess just abandon the attempt on the hill and CX for the far side with every available trooper? I'm still not sure how you can stop them as it's pretty trivial to stop an advance through the grain cold, as was evidenced (well, at least the conscripts, though the elite with the 9-1 didn't fare any better).

That said:

Why is No Quarter in effect if the Magyars' intent is to take prisoners?

Here's the SSR in question:

quote:

6. The Magyars earn 2 CVP for each functioning MMG [medium machinegun] and 1 CVP for each malfunctioned MMG they possess. All British Personnel on board at Game End are considered eliminated and count toward the CVP earned by the Magyars. All Good Order Entente Personnel may exit off the south edge on/west of hexrow I and are not considered eliminated.

The Magyars' victory condition is "upon earning >= 6 CVP."

I think SSR6 is there for two reasons: 1) to give the SW actual CVP, since they don't normally have them (they're not infantry, Guns, or vehicles) and 2) to make the British player push to exit his troops (as they are scored as if killed otherwise). It does not say anything about ignoring the normal CVP rules, except for the bits about considering Brits still on-board at Game End as eliminated.

:emo:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Found this at the linked page, its very useful to understand just how much information is on each individual counter!

Love all the NAs on there lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
With regards to the victory conditions, provided the Magyars capture both MMGs intact, that right away gives them 4 points, so as long as you can prevent a squad or a leader from going offboard you're in the clear.

Its tough, yes, and luck, good or bad, can screw you over. I feel like thats why the Level 2 2nd turn win is a condition, to force both players to stay/go there and duke it out in CC or worse. If you can capture troops in CC as well, that can essentially seal a win right away.

But, ultimately, yes, the SSR needs a rewrite and should avoid using CVP. I actually wrote an email to the creators of the scenario. Doubt it'll go anywhere, but maybe it'll bring about an errata change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Love all the NAs on there lol.

Oddly enough the 3 NAs on the right (CS), Limbered, and (R) are for Crew Survival, Limbered (A type of movement for guns) status, and Radios, which I guess aren't a thing in Starter Kit.

All other NAs I noticed are for ammo types that a weapon historically (depending on the gun, date, and nationality) could not have.