Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shei-kun posted:

They got the line wrong. They should have said a university campus. Students tend to shower more regularly than congoers, and they can smell free food better.

Guess this says more about our guide than anything else :v:

Our guide is exactly the sort of person you are picturing him to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I question if anime conventions even have free pizza...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alavaria posted:

I question if anime conventions even have free pizza...

They used to until the great Pepperoni Massacre of '02.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

1stGear posted:

Our guide is exactly the sort of person you are picturing him to be.
Our guide is Otakon?!

I know this to be false but I still want to hold out hope.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Our guide can't be that fat twat from the first game, surely? Didn't he die?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Our guide liked SnakeFist III: Venom Fang.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Our guide liked SnakeFist III: Venom Fang.

Death is too good for him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I see you mentioned the sparking effect when shooting enemies. I was actually talking about those gouts of blue fire/sparks that come when you shoot the Armacham or Replica soldiers. You can see it best in the first video, where there's no slow motion and you're shooting enemies that definitely aren't wearing metal sci-fi armor.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I really enjoyed this game. I'm going to now state my few criticisms of it, because everything else about it is good.

1) Slow-mo gives enemies a glowing highlight effect. That wasn't in the first FEAR. (Or if it was it was far more subtle.) It spoils the awesomeness of seeing enemies dying in slow motion with cool animations and blood effects and dismemberment etc when the enemies and their dismembered limbs and their blood are all super bright and over-saturated. One thing that was nice about FEAR 3 was that they got rid of that effect and made the slow-mo look more like FEAR 1.

2) The bright blue glowing parts on the ATC black ops is a bit dumb. Did someone actually complain that they couldn't see the enemies or something? Fortunately it is more subtle with the replica soldiers, they've got some yellow/orange glowy bits but they aren't shining becaons like the blue bits on the ATC guys.

3) The couple of futuristic weapons show up far too late in the game, are super rare and have very limited ammo. Why? In FEAR you got the particle beam weapon half way through the game, and you could use it as a regular part of your arsenal. Perhaps it was a bit overpowered, but no-one cared cause it was super awesome.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ed. Note: Read the lyrics at the bottom to the beat of "Straight Outta Compton" because I couldn't come up with a better cadence

SnakeFist's F.I.S.T. was an animated cartoon series that ran between July 21st and September 10th in 1995. Despite high production values and a slew of guest stars, the show was never able to take off and was quietly canceled after airing only seven of the 26 planned episodes for the first season. The series has never seen a home video release and a dedicated group of fans have been posting home recordings of episodes on the internet for years, despite Warner Brothers Animation Division's strict Copyright protection policy.

Background

With the success of the Batman animated series Warner Brothers commissioned a number of pilots for their other properties. In January of 1994, a full six years since the last SnakeFist movie, Warner approved F.I.S.T. for a pilot. Initially the series was to focus more on the First Insertion Stealth Team members rather than their commander, an aged SnakeFist, but the pilot focus tested poorly. Supposedly a member of the Warner Animation Division staff jokingly suggested making F.I.S.T. into an undergroud hip-hop group led by SnakeFist. Other claims state that Warner itself requested the changes due to other focus testing with the targeted age group among whom acts like the Wu-Tang Clan and Notorious B.I.G. were increasingly popular. Whatever the case may have been, F.I.S.T. was reformatted to star SnakeFist as the lead MC in a rap ensemble called F.I.S.T. The immense popularity of the act allows them to travel the world and thwart terrorists and super villains like the Dirty Mac and evil organizations like the LAPD. The Warner Animation Division would later admit that they had no knowledge of the hip-hop community and more or less had interns and new employees working on the show after the change in theme. Warner also saw this as a chance to insert some of their top acts into a show, which led to the final aired episode where SnakeFist teams up with Ice-T and rampages against the LAPD while the controversial Body Count song "Cop Killer" plays.

Plot

At the start of the series SnakeFist has seemingly retired from the CIA and has begun a career in music. He forms F.I.S.T., comprised of a number of former agents who had shown "mad promise" as both spies and lyricists. With this crew SnakeFist records albums, but also travels the world putting down threats and putting on shows. In episode 2 it was mentioned that SnakeFist's group had sold over 10 million copies of their first album, which had helped fund their secret activities. There is not an identifiable plot arc to the show, each episode takes the team to another location, featuring a new enemy. The episodes also appear to have been shown out of order, as slimy manager Tommy Vann is found to be working against F.I.S.T. in the fifth aired episode, but appears in the sixth, but is not seen in the third or fourth.

Characters

SnakeFist: Former CIA agent turned hip-hop sensation. In the pilot episode SnakeFist leaves the CIA to do "real work" and uses a set of stolen files to track down the people who would become members of F.I.S.T. When not on stage SnakeFist is the tactical leader of the team and often takes the pointman position on operations, relinquishing the role to Jason Branch in episode two when SnakeFist had to re-record his part on a track while the operation was going down. SnakeFist's dialog voice actor was Mark Hamill, who would often record his Joker and SnakeFist dialog back to back. A then-unknown DMX provided SnakeFist's rapping voice.

Jason Branch: The first member of F.I.S.T. SnakeFist recruited and the assumed second in command. Jason has survivor's guilt over losing the rest of a team he was leading in Azerbaijan prior to the start of the series and almost watches the same thing happen when he takes point in episode two of the series, but the rest of the team made it out of the warehouse before the explosion, restoring a measure of Jason's confidence and keeping him from leaving the team as he had been threatening to do at the start of the episode. Voice actor Chip Hensley voiced Jason for both dialog and during rap performances.

Kayla Starr: Recruited just after Jason Kayla is the only African American member of the team. It's hinted that she has an attraction to Jason, but it is unknown if he reciprocates or even knows of it. Kayla spent five years working undercover in East Germany using a "light wrapper" device of her own design to pass unnoticed, as such she is the team's chief technology officer and will often introduce gadgets of her own design for each mission. She also joins the team on field missions where hacking or other technology focused actions will be necessary. C.C.H. Pounder voices Kayla in dialog, rising star Lil' Kim provided the stage voice for Kayla.

Bernard "Bernie" Murphy: Bernie is the last member of the team recruited and is wheelchair bound. As such he serves as the voice in the ear of the other members of the team and sending them information about targets and locations. Bernie is the only member of the team who doesn't provide lyrics to the group's tracks, instead he produces the tracks and serves as the on stage DJ at shows. Bernie claims to have lost use of his legs in a firefight in Iraq while searching for documents in an underground bunker. Bernie was voiced by Billy Mays of infomercial fame, a fact his teammates react to when he gets audibly excited ("getting a little loud, Bernie, keep it down!")

Jeung Xia: Former Chinese assassin turned CIA contractor Jeung was recruited by SnakeFist over the objections of Jason as he didn't believe they could trust her. At the end of the first episode she saves his life and Jason shows a respect towards her for the rest of the series. Jeung only appears on two tracks in the aired episodes, and this is believed to be associated with how comfortable actress Bai Ling was with how her voice sounded when rapping. No one has bothered asking her if this is true.

Impact

The failure of the show put the introduction of the Superman animated series off for a couple years as the Warner Animation Division re-organized and re-did focus testing. As such Warner found it was getting a great deal of feedback from children in the New York City public school system, mostly those located in the Staten Island and Brooklyn areas, causing a major problem with feedback. Warner also received a number of FCC complaints as DMX's lyrics for the opening of the show as well as voicing SnakeFist on stage caused a number of parents to call in to complain, even if the words were censored. Warner created an internal division to monitor scripts and recordings after this to ensure it wouldn't happen again.

It's also theorized that the poor performance of the show would delay the re-introduction of the SnakeFist character to the silver screen as there had been rumors of a remake or reboot of the franchise for a few years at that point and nothing would come of them until 2003's SnakeFist.

Theme Song Lyrics

DMX penned the lyrics to all his parts on the show, including the lyrics to the opening theme song, considered one of the finer rapping efforts put forward by SnakeFist (the universally disparaged Yo, SnakeFist Raps had come out in 1989 and is considered too terrible to listen to). DMX was an unsigned talent at the time of the show and was trying to get a deal with Warner. The failure of the show and complaints against him would make him radioactive for several years until RCA signed him. The first verse of the theme highlights the issues with DMX's delivery.

You know me, it's SnakeFist
What I do ain't yo' loving business
Get in my way I'll turn you to red mist
You're no one, won't be missed
And no, I ain't a Mus-lam
Because then I couldn't go ham
With a TEC-9, In my trans-am
Making motherfuckers say goddamn
They say I'm too hard, too sturdy
Just cause I don't fall don't mean I don't get dirty

Of course, the lyrics were censored for TV, but the complaints rolled in. It also appears DMX or the showrunners didn't really worry about incongruous statements like:

In a white suit, I'm a black man
Mama ask "you wanna gently caress"
I say yes Ma'am

The track cuts off at the 35 second mark, but no one has been able to pull together a full version, so it is unknown if it is just DMX on this track or if the members of F.I.S.T. make appearances.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I may or may not do a F3AR LP after you complete this. Depends on whether I've got my new hard drive yet and if it's not overloaded with the videos that I actually make for my job.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I think F3AR deserves a balls out crazy co-op variety hour style LP. Anything serious or a legitimate sane LP can not do it justice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FEAR 3 had one very good idea, though: its scares were random and did not always repeat. The game was the least-scary of all but this is a very good idea to have in a haunted house simulation.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Speedball posted:

FEAR 3 had one very good idea, though: its scares were random and did not always repeat. The game was the least-scary of all but this is a very good idea to have in a haunted house simulation.

Yeah, the nice thing about FEAR 2's encounters are that they are pretty random. This means that you are going to get a really easy time of it and get the better situation, or you can get a really hard run of it. The section where I died right after the Assault Rifle showed up I got a completely different layout right before going through the slamming big red door. In the initial run they were sort of laid out and waiting for me, in the second run they were running away from me and they were all in front of the door instead of having a guy behind it. Other situations change as well so you are going to get slightly different set pieces now and again.

I'll post the next video sometime Saturday evening, YouTube ate the file and it's now re-uploading.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just reinstalled F3AR to see what I like and dislike.

* Working cover system
* Better sound design for guns
* Decent atmosphere
* Relatively fun gunplay

Dislike
* loving ugly blurriness that includes motion blur even while walking, which makes everything seem unfocused.
* I swear the mouse slows down as I aim at an enemy, which fucks with my aiming.
* Endless achievement and challenge progress updates literally almost every minute, which destroys any semblance of atmosphere.
* Replacement of intel items with simple meaningless collectibles that don't make too much sense in-universe.
* Cutscenes where the Point Man remains totally silent, leaving his partner to do all the talking while the protagonist sullenly glares past his beard at everyone.
* Ragdolls tend to do glitchy or anti-laws-of-physics poo poo that isn't funny enough to forgive.
* Cover system is unsure about how much it wants me to unstick myself by moving away from it, so it's possible to try and sprint away from a grenade only to find yourself still glued to a crate.
* Cover system has angles where your body is exposed to gunfire but you can't even see a target, let alone shoot it.
* No blindfire. You're either ducking blind or exposing your whole body to aim and shoot. Trying to blindfire just shoots the cover in front of you; haven't tested that with explosive weapons yet.

Also, this game was really obviously designed for co-op first. Every level ends with a stats tally to see which player did the best and it even sets up the entire main menu as if it were a multiplayer lobby, including starting a campaign like a multiplayer game with a countdown after clicking "Launch."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 6: The Streets

After liberating ourselves from the Harbinger facility we need to meet up with Griffin and Stokes, whom have also escaped but are stuck in different areas. This episode sees us engaging in urban combat against both Armacham and Replica forces who are trying to...do something or other, I can't really make sense of why they are where they are fighting over destroyed buildings and sending in giant mechs.

Speaking of, Mechs are a pretty rare sight in the game for the most part, but they serve as boss battles sort of like the one in the previous episode. There's another "boss" type enemy introduced in this episode, and I'll let the thread decide how those things came about. Really, by the end of this episode we've seen all but two enemy types in the entire game. Like I've said before, this isn't a game that throws a ton of enemy types or weapons at you. The phrase "Inch deep, mile wide" is one of those things I've assigned to a lot of games with RPG elements and large armories but not much interesting in terms of gameplay, FEAR 2 is deeper than it is wide. You have access to all Becket's abilities by the start of the second level and most weapons have been introduced by the fifth. By limiting things the game opens up a lot of options for how you play it rather than requiring you to use a single gun for certain spots. Case in point: rocket launcher sniper fight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"This is where the game really kicks off, in my opinion. This--"

*PLANE CRASHES*

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Lazyfire, I like your anti-sniper technique. Very effective, and it's a shame you can't actually intimidate enemy forces in any practical way in this series.

Armadillo Tank posted:

I think F3AR deserves a balls out crazy co-op variety hour style LP. Anything serious or a legitimate sane LP can not do it justice.

cKnoor and Blister did one back in the day that was pretty good like that. The usual "don't watch a sequel if you don't know how this one ends" disclaimer applies.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 5, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Funnily enough, I've been playing the first FEAR expansion pack after getting it in the sale and it too has a plane come crashing down shortly after you emerge back into the city. Though 2006 Non-Canonical Fairport is significantly less in ruins.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

1stGear posted:

Funnily enough, I've been playing the first FEAR expansion pack after getting it in the sale and it too has a plane come crashing down shortly after you emerge back into the city. Though 2006 Non-Canonical Fairport is significantly less in ruins.

I remember that too. I think that even though it got retconned, the designers liked it enough to try and incorporate it into the official sequel. I also never really noticed the little touches like finding the landing gear in the building. You can tell there was a pretty decent amount of TLC put into this game, and it's good that it shows every now and again.

As mentioned before, the game has great audio going on. The music is atmospheric most of the time, but battle themes like the one where Lazyfire was looking for the armor he already picked up and the music for an upcoming gimmick section really stand out.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

WFGuy posted:

cKnoor and Blister did one back in the day that was pretty good like that. The usual "don't watch a sequel if you don't know how this one ends" disclaimer applies.

I think you've inadvertently linked to the wrong thing, there.

I would very much like to see that FEAR 3 co-op as I watched the first couple of videos and then never got round to watching the rest, and I've not been able to find the thread again and it hasn't been put on the LP archive.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
That weird thing you fought five minutes in is a "Remnant". There's three of them (spoilers, maybe) in the game, all serving as sorta boss-fights like the mechs. Personally, the other two were some of the few real scares this game gave me.

Also, as just said, the plane crash was another thing they took from the expansions. You see it come down early in Extraction Point, and end up coming across the wreckage itself about halfway through both that and Perseus Mandate. Thing is, though, both expansions just skip to later in the night after the Vault explosion, and it's still not explained what exactly a plane is doing over the skies of a city that got nuked 12+ hours prior or what happened to bring it down.

And when you were talking up the abilities of the engine: nice progress for one that started out crushing allies who were in elevators (Shogo) or crushing the player between an auto-closing door and its frame (Blood II) :v:

Interval 04 intel. Everything up to just after you met Stokes and went to take care of the snipers, is the second of those levels that a lot of people claim is part of two Intervals; I didn't see an Interval 04 notice on the screen at any point in this video (I think it'll pop up in the next video, more than halfway through the Interval), so that might be where the confusion stems from. I'm going with it being fully in Interval 04 because the source I'm checking right now (the FEAR wiki) is trying to tell me poo poo you did at the end of the level before this one was the supposed Interval 03's Ruin.

EDIT: cKnoor and Blister's F3AR run is right here on baldurk.org, for everyone wanting to watch it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The reason why you were a bit low on rocket ammo for the power armour fight was that you forgot to pick up the Rocket Launcher that the first Rocket soldier dropped.

I like the Sniper rifle in this game, although the ammo stops showing up after this point for a LONG time.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

your evil twin posted:

I think you've inadvertently linked to the wrong thing, there.

I would very much like to see that FEAR 3 co-op as I watched the first couple of videos and then never got round to watching the rest, and I've not been able to find the thread again and it hasn't been put on the LP archive.

I did! Derp. It's fixed now, but here's the link also. Guess I shouldn't be catching up on 13th Age developments at the same time I have a reply page open, sorry.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I like how you ignored the weapon lying on the box right before you killed the replica sniper which I actually think is a sniper rifle. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love how the rocket launcher has that reflection thing going on with its scope lens. All the scoped weapons do it to an extent, but the rocket launcher is the most obvious.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

WFGuy posted:

Lazyfire, I like your anti-sniper technique. Very effective, and it's a shame you can't actually intimidate enemy forces in any practical way in this series.

Yeah, seriously. Kicked the sniper rifle off the roof? Oh well, I have a rocket launcher. That's just as good, right?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah, seriously. Kicked the sniper rifle off the roof? Oh well, I have a rocket launcher. That's just as good, right?

I hope everyone enjoys weird moments like that because I can't take this game seriously for the most part and that's coming through in commentary and gameplay.

I'll have everyone know I was using a lot of grenades and melee attacks in the latest recordings and it led to some weird moments and some actually really fun stuff. My problem, and we've seen it before, is that I keep hitting the grenade button when I want to hit the flashlight button, or I hit both and end up tossing grenades where I wanted to turn on the flashlight. Hilarious to watch, it turns out, but really frustrating if you are playing.

Edit: I'm also thinking it would be fun to have a friendly contest on the SnakeFist stuff and I'll excuse myself from it. Basically before the thread ends we'll let authors and others nominate content and then do a poll for who had the most creative/best/whatever entry. I'm not sure if there will be a prize beyond winning the contest, I'm pretty much out of Humble Bundle games I don't want to play to give away.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 6, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I would definitely say that Alma waking up and controlling the Replica soldiers is lazy, but implausible? Hell no. She's a pissed off ghost who used to be a really powerful psychic, and even when she was alive, she took control of Replica soldiers... That was the first "Synchronicity Event" before FEAR 1, despite the fact that, er... That's really stretching the term as a pseudo-scientific word.

Synchronicity, for those who don't know, are when two or more events that appear linked are not, in fact, causally related. It became a popular term among Chaotes ("Chaos magicians"), and Synchronicity Events, as far as I understand the way they're using the term here, basically meant "A lot of weird poo poo happened we can't explain, and doesn't appear to actually be causally linked." Except, of course, that's bad terminology for what is basically "A powerful psychic raged out, caused a lot of death, supernatural phenomena, cats and dogs living together, and generally made poo poo that would turn you white..." It's not even good terminology for the scientists involved, because, in setting, they knew drat well that psi was involved.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always took the 'Synchronicity Event' in this case to mean the time when Paxton Fettel reached out and 'synchronised' his power with his mother. They use a similar reasoning in Akira (which the first game took a few cues from), so it's not entirely out there.

I would've had the Replica be more feral under Alma's control though: have them fire wildly, little to no adherence to squad tactics, that kind of thing. It'd make more sense, since her primary motivators seem to be of the fear (:haw:) and hate kind. And that weird occasional protective streak she seems to have for Beckett, whatever that's about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I always took the 'Synchronicity Event' in this case to mean the time when Paxton Fettel reached out and 'synchronised' his power with his mother.

That's correct, and is the explanation the FEAR Wiki gives. The first Synchronicity Event was when Fettel was 10 and psychically linked with his mother, giving him indeterminate powers that resulted in him killing seven people and providing the impetus for the Project Origin scientists to kill Alma to stop her from doing that again. The second event involved her remaining psychic spirit in 2025 (about 20 years after her physical "death") connecting with Fettel again so he could take control of the Replicas as their psychic commander and kill the people who tortured her, thus starting the first FEAR game.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

JamieTheD posted:

I would definitely say that Alma waking up and controlling the Replica soldiers is lazy, but implausible? Hell no. She's a pissed off ghost who used to be a really powerful psychic, and even when she was alive, she took control of Replica soldiers... That was the first "Synchronicity Event" before FEAR 1, despite the fact that, er... That's really stretching the term as a pseudo-scientific word.

To me it's not implausible that she's controlling them, but rather that she's controlling them to... do exactly what Fettel did in the first game and what every enemy does; attack the player character. Alma is kind of crazy right? Shouldn't clone soldiers controlled by her do... maybe some moon walking around, try to engage you in melee exclusively, hide in a corner, etc etc. It feels like a cop out that she's controlling exactly the way the gameplay demands.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Scaramouche posted:

To me it's not implausible that she's controlling them, but rather that she's controlling them to... do exactly what Fettel did in the first game and what every enemy does; attack the player character. Alma is kind of crazy right? Shouldn't clone soldiers controlled by her do... maybe some moon walking around, try to engage you in melee exclusively, hide in a corner, etc etc. It feels like a cop out that she's controlling exactly the way the gameplay demands.

I'd normally agree, except that Alma's actions in FEAR 1 had a point. It's not easy to see the point, especially since it's obscured by the crazy poo poo she'd also do because she's a tiny black-hole of pure rage, but they had a point.

1) Lash out at the world, especially the lovely bits (obvious)
2) Reveal Armacham's shittiness to the world (less obvious, and not exactly annulled by this game so far)
3) Get three particular people to one spot (least obvious)

Now, part of this is Fettel's doing, but at Alma's instigation. Rule one of crazies: Never assume they're not also smart. Alma has always had goals. As to the synchronising with Fettel, this is true... But keep in mind, this implies Alma was also doing stuff herself, despite the induced coma. We'll never know for certain, to be honest, and I kinda like it that way.

Either way, it definitely isn't the best writing in the world, that's for sure.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
The devs originally wanted Alma to connect to Pointman but the idea of the Synchronicity Event resulting in a child spin kicking everyone into gibs wasn't scary enough.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

SirDrone posted:

The devs originally wanted Alma to connect to Pointman but the idea of the Synchronicity Event resulting in a child spin kicking everyone into gibs wasn't scary enough.
Let's Spin Kick Some People into becoming ghosts

FE4R, featuring an enemy that tries to spinkick you. Of course, it is an instant kill if you are hit.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Scaramouche posted:

Like I said before, the Replica (at least the battalion or two we see in these games) don't need someone else controlling every little detail of what they do - they just get their orders from them. Alma's giving them an order (which, yes, happens to be "kill the player character, again") and they're carrying it out how they see fit.

Although now I'm not understanding why they go dormant as soon as their psychic commander dies or stops linking to them or whatever. Maybe it's some sort of failsafe, like ATC knew the kid was going to still be trouble after he killed a man during the first synchronicity event and then started chowing down on the corpse because he thought he'd learn poo poo from doing so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Like I said before, the Replica (at least the battalion or two we see in these games) don't need someone else controlling every little detail of what they do - they just get their orders from them. Alma's giving them an order (which, yes, happens to be "kill the player character, again") and they're carrying it out how they see fit.

I think this is accurate to an extent. They still do things like curse when a grenade is thrown near them and shout commands, indicating that they have at least some level of independent thinking. I figure that they can either be given general orders or be specifically commanded, but a psychic commander usually won't have the focus to individually control every member of an entire army, so they need to have some initiative.

quote:

Although now I'm not understanding why they go dormant as soon as their psychic commander dies or stops linking to them or whatever. Maybe it's some sort of failsafe, like ATC knew the kid was going to still be trouble after he killed a man during the first synchronicity event and then started chowing down on the corpse because he thought he'd learn poo poo from doing so.

I also think this is accurate. If I had an entire army of cloned special forces troopers in high-tech armor with the best guns money could buy, I wouldn't exactly want them to just go nuts and do whatever they wanted if the commander suffered a heart attack or something.

Edit: I just beat FEAR 3 and after the credits, it actually shows the first Synchronicity Event. Since it's not a spoiler, I can explain exactly what happened: Alma's child form appeared in Fettel and Point Man's room while Fettel was alone and linked her mind to his, giving him immense psychic powers and driving him totally nuts. He killed seven guards who tried to subdue him by exploding their heads until the combined effects of something like half a dozen tranquilizer darts stopped him.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 7, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that rocket launcher. 4 shots from "oh no an APC" to "yay the turret is down!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

chitoryu12 posted:

Dislike
* Ragdolls tend to do glitchy or anti-laws-of-physics poo poo
You take that ba-

chitoryu12 posted:

that isn't funny enough to forgive.
Oh. Yeah, if it isn't hilaribad, it's just bad.

Speaking of, does F3AR have a co-op campaign of sorts?

Also, that plane had the best timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Speaking of, does F3AR have a co-op campaign of sorts?

From what I remember, it's intended to be played in co-op in the first place.

• Locked thread