Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The one Netflix special is funny, and has a ton of clever leapfrogging call-backs worked in seamlessly throughout.

The other Netflix special is a weird crazy man so hung up on the JFK assassination that it fizzles into pointless white noise.

Both have stupid random cuts to ghost images of Hicks doing nothing interesting for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jellidelic posted:

also, if you watch his stuff today and find it lame, that's only because the ball he helped get rolling is way past him now. A lot of his opinions have become common, or even less provocative than what a lot of people today think.
in the context of his time I really think he was the first to hit oil about a lot of things americans were feeling. the christian right was actually the oppressive establishment that your atheist coworker pretends it is. the war on drugs was newer and still favored in public opinion. new TV channels were being added constantly which meant unprecedented amounts of garbage programs and commercials. CNN had only just recently begun to turn TV news into what it's become today. MTV's influence on the music industry was at its peak. the rodney king riots just happened, back when black communities rioting about police brutality wasn't a monthly thing. Reagan and Bush's back to back presidencies were almost shameless about warmongering in the name of private interests.
then there's his straight-up :tinfoil: material about kennedy. Hicks wasn't the first person to comment on anything, but he's the first guy I know of that was able to charm a crowd well enough to get them to laugh while hearing assertions that our government killed a sitting president in broad day and lied about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon before the internet government skepticism still had at least enough of a stink on it that keeping peoples noses open while you crack-wise about the kennedy assassination was impressive.

this post nails exactly what i was going for with my clumsy shitposting. I totally get how a wet behind the ears babby who's only ever known a world with the internet wouldn't be impressed with him, but in the context of the Reagan/Bush's years' great christian patriotic crusade against communism and drugs, he was inflammatory.

It's less of a "Bill Hicks' comedy is timeless and objectively the greatest form of art wrought by man" and more "wow. that was a hell of a thing he did. i forgot how insane this was when I first heard about it."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is only one funny comedian, the politics and the news, and is what I just said funny?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Lenny Bruce doesn't have a joke worth a gently caress, and also 2 Live Crew suck poo poo. Pushing boundaries is exciting in a way that only matters while it's happening, but while it's happening it's changing minds in a way that tickles your brain.

Pioneers accomplishments don't seem real impressive to ppl living in settled territory.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No, see, he may seem like an unhinged child throwing a tantrum because he could change the world if they would just listen to him, but when you consider the context in which he melted down it's actually really funny. Here is an essay to explain my reasoning:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Wow the government killed JFK. No one said that in 1994 man. Does he also do a bit where he talks about the moon landing being faked? Maybe go down to a psych ward and talk to some random guy with schizophrenia if you're missing the Bill Hicks experience.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he also liked to brag about doing hallucinogenic mushrooms which is p impressive to do on tv a handful of years before raves became a thing

truly a man before his time

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he also liked to brag about doing hallucinogenic mushrooms which is p impressive to do on tv a handful of years before raves became a thing

How loving young are you? Do you even know who Dr. Timothy Leary is? You idolize a total idiot, sorry.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i want to do the mushrooms but i do not want to get arrested or lose my job over it

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

I AM THE TOILET posted:

i want to do the mushrooms but i do not want to get arrested or lose my job over it

Do the mushrooms m8 just don't be an idiot about it. Hell, your attitude proves you've got what it takes to trip balls without becoming a dumb loving hippy, and your username foreshadows what enlightening insight you'll be granted by the mushroom god.

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

Rubellavator posted:

I've heard this a lot recently and I think it comes from Louis CK or maybe Jon Stewart? He definitely re-used certain bits like "Place for my Stuff" and "Football vs. Baseball" at least on his comedy albums. Regardless, even when he was doing the angry man comic, he'd still make time to do goofy inane poo poo.

plus he was in the bill and ted movies

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Schweinhund posted:

Wow the government killed JFK. No one said that in 1994 man. Does he also do a bit where he talks about the moon landing being faked? Maybe go down to a psych ward and talk to some random guy with schizophrenia if you're missing the Bill Hicks experience.

the random guy with schizophrenia at the psyche ward probably couldn't get a room to laugh and cheer as he talks about that poo poo though. that's actually pretty much the whole point of big bill

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Carlin is good. The "stuff" bit is nice but later on he became more like Bill Hicks IMHO with "The game is rigged" etc. etc. As for Bill Hicks not being talented, dude crawled out of his house at 16 or something to perform at comedy clubs in Texas for adult people. That sounds pretty talented to me.

As for the ranting, don't forget that he knew he had cancer and wanted to leave a lot of material. I think he couldn't bring up the patience with the audience knowing he was dying and he comes of as a ranting idiot.
His England stuff is more relaxed, the crowds also resonated better with him over there.

The stuff about Iraq and the "Farming equipment" and "Maggie's Rolodex to see who we can start a war with because the masses are restless" is brilliant.

The last 10 years or so of Carlin's career is just bitter unfunny garbage, an old man lecturing you about how little he cares and how little you should care about anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

How loving young are you? Do you even know who Dr. Timothy Leary is? You idolize a total idiot, sorry.

whoosh

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Life is Worth Losing wasn't just an old man ranting. It should have been his last, as it would have been a great closer to his career

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he was right in his bit about how we should treat drug addicts as sick people and not as criminals, except he forgot to make a joke in it

bill hicks is a leftie mallard fillmore

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

"Huh? Society? No thanks, i don't like this thing at all. It is bad"

/crowd literally spontaneously shits themselves laughing

"Do a drug. Now you are the best guy with all the secret knowledge!"

/crowd ascends and becomes godlike, humanity is now a joke to them

/multiple documentaries are made

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
He met the preacher characters

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
David Cross was pretty good during the Bush years, and even if he sucks now or then he was still a big part of the greatest comedy show ever created Mr. Show.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

David Cross was pretty good during the Bush years, and even if he sucks now or then he was still a big part of the greatest comedy show ever created Mr. Show.

hes grown a beard. he has serious opinions now

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Dude is not funny

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

hes grown a beard. he has serious opinions now
I'm glad that the other Mr. Show writers/comedians aren't as serious.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Well don't do them at work

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

achillesforever6 posted:

Bob Odenkirk can't even look serious when being in the running for an Emmy

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

Bob Odenkirk can't even look serious when being in the running for an Emmy
Judging by this I don't think he ever had a high opinion of the Emmy's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AXFlPR9inY

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have a sticky.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Robokomodo posted:

I got into he Bill Burr specials. Holy hell, he's hilarious.

He's a riot. I remember some good bits from the old stuff. I could watch "I'm Sorry You Feel That Way" special monthly. Has just the right amount of harmless domestic chauvinism.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Love both Carlin and Hicks, but both went the same downhill later in their careers. Right amount of anger and bitterness can create some funny stuff, but becoming completely consumed by them makes you an unrelatable monster.

Saw Louis live recently (he's first time touring Europe :siren:) and he has definitely tuned down the self-deprecating, in fact I can't remember any. Unless you count the "I'm too old to become gay" part. Seeing him live might have played a part, but in my opinion it might be some of his best stuff, mostly thanks to this.

Bill Burr is supposed to come to Europe next year too, he's the only other current comedian I want to see.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I get the feeling David Cross takes himself very seriously. He pretends not to, but deep down he knows he's always been the weak link in everything he's done and it eats him up inside.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

HAve you seeeeeen Patton Oswald's twitter???because, Imean, whow that guy!! Yoiks!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i remember enjoying hannibal buress' standup on a road trip with a lovely ex girlfriend. i had no clue who he was and deffo laughed at his poo poo more than all of the other garbage comedians pandora pulled up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
EVERYTHING IS RETARDED ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHH

-This has been comedy by Bill Hicks

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Why is it that so many angry-man comics squint in their promotional materials? I like to imagine it's because they are straining to see the truth!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Constipation, mostly

Bad comedy could be cured with a couple of days of Metamucil

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this post nails exactly what i was going for with my clumsy shitposting. I totally get how a wet behind the ears babby who's only ever known a world with the internet wouldn't be impressed with him, but in the context of the Reagan/Bush's years' great christian patriotic crusade against communism and drugs, he was inflammatory.

It's less of a "Bill Hicks' comedy is timeless and objectively the greatest form of art wrought by man" and more "wow. that was a hell of a thing he did. i forgot how insane this was when I first heard about it."

Agreed. These kinds of opinions weren't super common or as outspoken back then, but I can see why people in their 20s would find it boring now.

Also if you can't summon a chuckle for an extremely graphic description of a maggot writhing its way out of Rush Limbaugh's tiny corkscrew penis I don't know what to say.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

tenspott posted:

I get the feeling David Cross takes himself very seriously. He pretends not to, but deep down he knows he's always been the weak link in everything he's done and it eats him up inside.

There's a podcast interview with Bob Odenkirk, I think it's one of Marc Maron's, that's pretty telling. Bob is very classy and never says anything bad about anyone, but there a a few times when he's talking about David Cross and he gets very stilted as he's trying to choose his words very carefully. And he mentions a few post Mr. Show projects that never went anywhere because Cross "wasn't committed to the idea". Like I said, he doesn't come out and say Cross is a dick but the way he sort of skirts the issue when his name comes up makes it pretty clear he's a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

Agreed. These kinds of opinions weren't super common or as outspoken back then, but I can see why people in their 20s would find it boring now.

Also if you can't summon a chuckle for an extremely graphic description of a maggot writhing its way out of Rush Limbaugh's tiny corkscrew penis I don't know what to say.

I know what to say. Grow up.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I've tried listening to David Cross a few times. His thing seems to be telling stories with painfully long setups that have very disappointing payoffs.

Also echoing Bill Burr love. His interviews on Conan are also pretty great since it's just Conan giving him a topic to rant about and letting him run with it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i remember enjoying hannibal buress' standup on a road trip with a lovely ex girlfriend. i had no clue who he was and deffo laughed at his poo poo more than all of the other garbage comedians pandora pulled up.
yeah he's excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Younger, ultra-mellow Carlin was much better than old, angry Carlin.

• Locked thread