Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Rick posted:

This is impressive and it's hard to believe this is a guy with multiple serious leg injuries.

I didn't expect him to look this good, especially after the injuries. He's been great. Payne slingshotting 3-pointers is just a fun wrinkle in the Bulls experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

embiid dead, rip Philly

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am thankful Kawhi will get the gently caress out of Toronto once he experiences winter because I don’t want to face that team in the East after this year.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Someone please gif at 5 minutes when Kawhi receives the belt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

embiid dead, rip Philly

Simmons to center

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Heckling him worked just fine in the playoffs. :shrug:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Simmons to center

good way to hide his fear of shooting if you think about it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It seems like it's been a century of waiting for AD and Giannis to really break out and do all the things Zach Lowe said they could do.

I'm glad the Bucks have a real coach and are playing to Giannis's strengths. Brook Lopez scoring 20 points and getting zero rebounds is something special. Tony Snell is not an NBA player. Khris Middleton does everything needed.

I'm glad the Pelicans have become a terror.

I'm glad that Jordan Kawhi is back and all the intriguing wing/bigs of Toronto are playing well.

And of course I'm glad the pistons are riding iso-blake to one point wins over the dregs of the league.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Good golly thats a terrible attempt at a joke

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hornets are looking bad enough that it probably won't matter either way, but he'd kill the Hornets' small-ball thing that Borrego is currently overplaying

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I dunno why Philly doesn’t put Embiid in a bubble when he’s not playing

That dude already lives in some kinda bubble:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

99% sure it's Fultz

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

99% sure it's Colangelo's wife

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Which NBA player is most likely to have hash on his body or in his baggage RIGHT NOW at 7 pm eastern on 10/26/18

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I would love a secret family plot to destroy the fruits of the Process Labors

Dejan Bimble posted:

Which NBA player is most likely to have hash on his body or in his baggage RIGHT NOW at 7 pm eastern on 10/26/18

Jamal Hashburn

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

And of course I'm glad the pistons are riding iso-blake to one point wins over the dregs of the league.

Hell, same

Ride the wave while the tide is in, buddy

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Someone please gif at 5 minutes when Kawhi receives the belt

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ron Baker

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Lmao thank u. He staying

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Things like this can't possibly mean anything to professional athletes right? This is elementary school basketball camp stuff.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Things like this can't possibly mean anything to professional athletes right? This is elementary school basketball camp stuff.

Depends, Dwight Howard would have boned up in his denims if someone gave him a wrestling belt

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Raptors need to stop posting this poo poo. It's making me cringe.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It's from their open gym behind the scenes series. It's been going for like 3 years now. Most of it is fluff pieces on players and the stuff they do on off days and community service.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Can anyone imagine a Popovich open gym session where they hand out toys at the end?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

bornbytheriver posted:

Can anyone imagine a Popovich open gym session where they hand out toys at the end?

Yes

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Goon not understanding the importance of camaraderie and pageantry I'm shocked

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

bornbytheriver posted:

Lol

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1576049

quote:

USA Basketball senior men's team coach Gregg Popovich has apparently found a way to motivate the attendees at the star-studded minicamp in Las Vegas: a fresh set of wheels.

After promising a new car to the winner of a shooting contest, Popovich gave the victor, reigning MVP James Harden, a little yellow toy car...

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

It's deceitful poo poo like this that drove Kawhi away. Nick Nurse gave him the real 1v1 practice championship belt he promised.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Depends, Dwight Howard would have boned up in his denims if someone gave him a wrestling belt

https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/1054541810343698432

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Now we are talking.

That probably goes with his regular saying: the next person to miss a free throw buys me a car

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
dp

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nick Nurse is good

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Love might be the ultimate albatross. So far 136 minutes and a WS of 0.1 I know he is slow and fat but this is not good as the Cavaliers owe him at least $145,000,000 in the next few years.

Curry has started the season nearly on his 2016 pace of best scoring start in league history. That was the year they lost in the finals so Curry might slow things down to avoid that happening again.

Rick posted:

50 on sub .500 free throw shooting is Wilt Chamberlain poo poo. Well other than the fact Wilt would have 10 more boards.

Wilt did it 25 times. Now BG joins him as the only other to do it.

Lockback posted:

Does defense exist as a thing?

Butler has a higher BPM, PER and WS/48. LaVine appears to not outwardly loathe his teammates and has not yet broken a All-NBA Big man. I don't know how to reconcile these data points.

Perhaps the next Adrian Dantley. If he can score 30+ points efficiently in the next consecutive games it would be serious historical scoring. Most 30+ point games to start season:

code:
Player 	 		Season 		#
Wilt Chamberlain	1962-63		22
Wilt Chamberlain	1959-60		8
Jack Twyman		1959-60		7
Marques Johnson		1978-79		6
Michael Jordan		1986-87		6
Oscar Robertson		1965-66		6

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

There's a cool Q&A on r/nba with Bob Cousy

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9rl84y/we_are_celtics_legend_bob_cousy_90_and_author/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zogo posted:

Kevin Love might be the ultimate albatross. So far 136 minutes and a WS of 0.1 I know he is slow and fat but this is not good as the Cavaliers owe him at least $145,000,000 in the next few years.

Still John Wall

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

6.5 years later and Kony is still at large.

The Walrus posted:

And even then, Toronto can defend at the rim but after the shot goes up they currently can't oRb for poo poo.

It's not much to worry about as ORBs and DRBs aren't nearly as important as they once were.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is OKC doing so badly?

Lowest eFG% is the entire league.

Lockback posted:

Chicago, Minnesota, LA and Houston all coming out strong for biggest trainwreck year.

There wasn't quite enough magic out there in the moonlight to make the dream of a Lakers 0-5 start and beyond happen. It would've been interesting to see LBJ huffing and puffing around the court with an exasperated look on his face for a few more weeks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Johnson: LeBron, people will come LeBron. They'll come to STAPLES Center for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up South Figueroa Street not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $10,000 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the luxury suites; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along the courtside, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come LeBron. The one constant through all the years, LeBron, has been basketball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But basketball has marked the time. This court, this game: it's a part of our past, LeBron. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh...people will come LeBron. People will most definitely come.

LeBron James:

If Zach LaVine finishes as the #2 scorer behind Curry this year I will be pleased.

Lockback posted:

...but I suspect Butler will get the "Third-option curse" that can make these teams less than the sum of their parts.

I thought the third-option curse made the team better at the expense of the third players' stats.

Tae posted:

Still John Wall

Yes, 139 minutes and a WS of 0.0 thus far in 2019 with $190,000,000 due. Holy :discourse:.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zogo posted:

Remember, the '94 bulls lost two fewer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Michael Jordan invests in esports ownership group
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/25/michael-jordan-esports-investment

Carlosologist posted:

zogobot when's the last time a team started 5-0 and won fewer than 60 games

Eighty other teams have started out 5-0. 22 won 60+ games, 58 won 59- games.

Teams that start 5-0 average 54 wins, have a median of 56 wins, and a mode of 57 wins.

• Locked thread