Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

I'm tapping out for the night, I can feel my brain leaving my body.

You were so close to apothemeowsis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Still haven't seen Cats but this tweet reminded me it exists
https://twitter.com/kaldrenon/status/1257759080048926720

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Well that puts a different spin on Old Deut sending the competition to heaven.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

The musical is streaming on YouTube now lmao, I know what I'm watchin after work B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAaq7M0aXs

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We need fanart of the Andrew Lloyd Webber cinematic musical universe.

You mean something like this nightmare?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's probably a little late to post now that the original stream is down, but Jacob Brent (Mister Mistoffelees in the 98 movie and Tumblebrutus on Broadway) did a commentary track over it, which I thought was neat

https://youtu.be/7RwnYal-4is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TrixRabbi posted:

Hooper is the director Hamilton deserves

He's going to triple down and try to do Jesus Christ Superstar

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

YggiDee posted:

It's probably a little late to post now that the original stream is down, but Jacob Brent (Mister Mistoffelees in the 98 movie and Tumblebrutus on Broadway) did a commentary track over it, which I thought was neat

https://youtu.be/7RwnYal-4is
tyvm for posting this!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dear cats thread, thanks for existing and exposing me to the insanity of Cats. I learnt to make gifs in a very short period of time and make very subpar ones but they are now gangtags and I'm proud of it. I enjoyed everyone's enthusiasm in this thread for this loving stupid musical and it's even more loving stupid movie. I don't even really like the animal myself lol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like you Rhino, just wanted to say

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was real, my fellow jellicles. *floats off to die the heavy side layer*

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

God bless us every one.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gonna play this thread out with digital cat snot-nosed Jennifer Hudson

https://youtu.be/KJ_2KOsRI3w

It’s been real, you made the Jellicle choice, catch y’all on the Heaviside layer

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

*lifts a single leg into the air in approval of all the Jellicle goons*

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cats thread discord when

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd make one myself but I don't have the time to run it & I'm terrified of responsibility. Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Goons or something. It could have extra channels for Non-CATS musicals.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really don't like discords but one that was about ten broke brain weirdos would probably move slow enough for me to follow along.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It's been fun, Cats thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbaVtZcleDw

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CATS was truly one of the most magical* cinematic experiences in my entire life, and I'm glad I got to share in it with all of you. I declined opportunities to get other gangtags because other forums were cracking down on gangtag towers and I just couldn't bear to give up Skimbleshanks in his eternal majesty.

*incomprehensible chaos magic counts, right

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I liked CATS enough to get a gangtag even though I can't even see them on the Awful App.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember; a cat is NOT a dog.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember; a cat is NOT a dog.

:hmmyes:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
first, your memory i'll jog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

a cat is NOT a dog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does the musical end on that? It's just the absolute perfect line to make sure in case you thought your brain hasn't been completely broken yet

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yep it's the last song in the musical too.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's not even really a song, it's just Cat Judi Dench talking while her face fills the screen

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's slightly more impressive when Ken Page is belting it out. Or Brian Blessed.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah that's Ken Page's peak moment in the musical, and he's possibly got an even better voice than Griz

It's probably the cutest song in the whole show when it's done right (actually sung). The lyrics are basically, "ok we've told you about different cats this whole time, but NOW we're going to tell you, the cat owner, how not to offend cats in general when you try to move in to pet them".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It is pretty much a summation of the musical as a whole. You've seen all of these different kinds of cats so far, the musical has shown what each cat is like and how they have their own society and social norms and morals and actions and jobs and activities, be it being an elderly cat who used to act on the stage when they needed a cat, a cat who was magical enough to always be fooling people, a couple of rambunctious cats that were always thieving and making mischief, a cat that likes to gently caress, a cat who manages the mail train, or even the cat who refuses to abide by their society and just does whatever he can to cause trouble for everyone else and scare them because he doesn't give a gently caress. Then it ends with a song punctuating what it really means to be a cat, that the audience should now understand how to properly approach a cat, to appease them, to use this knowledge and know that a cat is not a dog and that a cat, as the dignified animals they are, require you to obey their laws because it'd be rude of you to ignore their laws and just do whatever you want. But maybe if you obey their laws, they'll let you be familiar with them, using the familiar name you give them and letting you interact with and join into their world.

It's about cats.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Any cat owner knows exactly what happens when you introduce yourself to a cat as rudely as one would get away with for a dog

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I can't help thinking that Macavity is just full of poo poo and tries to take the glory from other criminals.
"There's no evidence of your involvement in this crime "
"Exactly:smug:"
"You even have the perfect alibi"
"That's just further proof that I committed the crime:smug:"
"We have photographic evidence that someone else committed it!
"Indeed:smug:"
"Here's the signed confession of the person who committed the crime"
"It's all part of the plan:smug:"
"Why would you even confess to a crime if you managed to remove all evidence of your involvement?"
"Because I'm the Mystery Cat:smug:"

The other possibility is that he's the victim of feline profiling. The song says that when the crime's committed Macavity isn't there and yet he's wanted by the Yard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Macavity is just owning the prejudice against black cats. If you can't beat 'em, hustle 'em.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's Moriarty's cat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Macavity is just owning the prejudice against black cats. If you can't beat 'em, hustle 'em.

Um, Macavity's a ginger cat. Who are you going to believe, the song lyrics or your own eyes?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's the profiling.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HopperUK posted:

Um, Macavity's a ginger cat. Who are you going to believe, the song lyrics or your own eyes?

its an anagram

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh gently caress you're right

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Partially due to quarantine and alcohol, I've seen the Cats movie enough times that I lost count. This includes watching it with the director's commentary, and two different podcast commentaries. The weird thing is that one of them was a video game podcast that just had a two hour long episode where the hosts watch Cats. I still haven't watched it with the audio descriptions for the visually impaired turned on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Is it worth getting a disc copy for the commentaries and special features?

I'm morbidly curious to see how everyone pretends like they weren't part of a legendary trainwreck.