Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

Yeah, Shido is a poo poo politician; the adoration he receives is just Yaldabaoth manipulating the public (which coincidentally mirrors how the media can make a lovely politician into a master statesman). It's most likely a part of the plan: if humanity lines up behind such a lovely leader, does it deserve to be free?

Trouble is the game absolutely thinks Shido is a devilishly charismatic 5D chessmaster who'd still be an enormous threat without an evil god silently backing him up.

e: page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gen. Ripper posted:

Trouble is the game absolutely thinks Shido is a devilishly charismatic 5D chessmaster who'd still be an enormous threat without an evil god silently backing him up.

e: page snipe

Yeah, to be clear I was referring to what will most likely be the LP's interpretation of that character, not how the game actually treats him

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah Shido's speeches are intended to be compelling, despite how dogshit they are. Reminder that Yoshida's speeches are so good that just listening to them gives Joker massive mechanical bonuses, even though his rhetoric, at best, is marginally more material than Shido's.

P5 is terrified of saying anything meaningful despite being the politics game, and it is one of its greatest faults as a whole. See also the background text about how Okumura was actually looking to get shredded by collective action, which is never mentioned by a main character and disappears as soon as the next plot beat rolls around.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I dunno what you are talking about, I think "I am old and young people are young. Ergo, young people should decide the future" is a great speech.

P5 does say something meaningful but it really only has a variation of the same thing over and over again (don't blindly obey authority).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
So what bonuses would Shido!Confidant provide?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Persona 5 is posturing dreck that pretends to be incisive but has nothing to offer except feel-good platitudes, you say?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 157: 10/21-10/22: Lawman’s Getting Closer

This update covers content from Part 127 of the original LP.

Anon: What about the politicians?

Early Morning

Music: Suspicion

(Arrogant Youth) The government and the police are useless. Are they even trying? I wish they wouldn’t spend tax dollars just to sit on their asses…
(Disaffected Youth) A mysterious group of murderers, an inept government… What’s the world coming to these days?
Everyone’s talking trash about us…

How many times has this been, now?
Our school’s gotten famous for all the wrong reasons…
They revoked her honors status!? This school is so messed up…
I wonder if the culprit really is from our school…

Anon: What’s Akechi-kun saying?
Anon: but who else do we have?
Anon: awful. they betrayed us
Anon: cant say w/o evidence
Anon: their fans are guilty too

(Frightened Student) The cops are here!

Music: So Boring

The cops are here.

Early Morning → Lunchtime

Music: Disquiet

The cops are here.
>Huh, I hadn’t heard.
Hm, they haven’t come to my school.
Lucky you.
They must be looking for the culprit!
They’re going to question every student individually. Don’t say anything unnecessary.

Lunchtime → Afternoon

Huh? Why together?

Because they want the details on your forbidden tryst with the transfer student. They’re calling everyone in pairs, genius. They’ll make one of you wait outside.
Oh, right…

Just don’t say more than is necessary and try and get it over with quick.

(to Maaku) If I didn’t know better, I’d think she knew and was trying to give us advice just there.
Actually, she does know.
Huh!?

Don’t patronize me, cop.
Don’t use that tone with him!
Um… sorry?

Let’s see… Maaku Hamiru? Ah yes, you’re the one currently under probation. It says here you had a dispute with Mr. Kamoshida?

Yeah, he was a real dick. Thankfully, those Phantom Thieves intervened. They’re so cool and sexy, haha.
Right…

…You spend time with an interesting group. Yusuke Kitagawa and Haru Okumura?

*profusely sweating* Huh? Why do you want to know about them?

The more friends the better, right?

Y-Yeah.
One last thing, just a standard question we’re asking everyone: You’re not a Phantom Thief, are you?
I will not be answering any further questions without my lawyer present.
Darn, nobody’s bitten on that one yet. It’d make our job a lot easier if they did, I tell you what!
I told you it wouldn’t work, Frank!
Please, ignore my partner’s bickering. You can send in Takamaki-san and return to class now.
Ann’s totally gonna flip…

Afternoon → After School

I got so nervous I almost stuttered a few times… I thought I was used to police questioning by now too…

I was real sweaty by the end there… Wonder if they noticed…
Uh, I’m sure *you* weren’t responsible for giving us up… this time, anyway. *glares at Ann*
Why are you staring at me?

Sounds like we can’t take the police lightly either.
Hey, didn’t you think that detective guy was scary?

Not really, no. Seemed normal.

Not to me… He looked like someone who’s dealt with dangerous criminals.

Ann, I think I have more experience with the police than you do.
We need to think about counterstrategies. Haru, can you investigate your father’s belongings to find anything pointing to a culprit?
Roger.
I’ll look into the progress of the investigation while she’s doing that.
Likewise, we all need to be cautious about how we’re spending our time at school. I’m going to have all the second-years join me on the school festival committee so we can meet more surreptitiously.
What!?
Makoto, I don’t think Ryuji suddenly taking an interest in student affairs is very “surreptitious,” whatever that means.
Trying to blend in will only have the opposite effect.
That makes absolutely no sense.
Lighten up, you guys. Having all this free time is not great for my mental health right now. It’ll be nice to have something else to focus on.
We need to stay cautious. The police might even come directly to our homes for questioning at this rate.

For now, the best option is to stay on the defensive… but we won’t make progress at this rate. Let’s try and figure out who the real culprit is somehow, okay?
Of course… ……

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Think, Morgana, think!

Those in the know say authorities are undergoing major restructuring to prepare to arrest the culprit. We’ve also heard they’re willing to resort to unorthodox methods. More on this as it develops.
…This is looking pretty bad. Make sure you don’t let your guard down.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Would the tactics of the Casanovas of this book still work today? I wonder…

Music: Desire

The rest will go as you mentioned… *chuckle* Still… I’m truly amazed at the atrocious methods you come up with.

(from phone) Yeah yeah, I get it, I’m awesome. Settle down.

Anon: Bloodthirsty killers!!!

Early Morning

Probably some idiots with a misguided sense of justice.
Look, can they just arrest those guys already?
Special Investigations is on it. I’m sure they’ll be caught soon.
What kind of people are they? I wanna see what they look like.

Anon: There was no need to kill.
Anon: Ugh. We were fooled.
Anon: They must be punished.
Anon: That was traumatizing…
Anon: wat do they want, anyway?

How much longer are they gonna do this? We should be busy preparing for the school festival right now.
(Glaring Guy) Why’d the school decide to have the festival so late, anyway? I mean, changing the date just because our school’s all over the news? Moving it to next Tuesday only makes more work for us!
We won’t be able to invite friends from other schools now that we’re holding the festival on a weekday. It’ll also be an inconvenience to anyone we already invited. And what about the post-festival party? Will there be enough people for the Student Sharing Special? *sigh* It’s gonna be a real weird festival with morale so low…

On the bright side, maybe they’ll cancel the Student Sharing Special. I don’t know why you’re bummed it might not happen, it’s a disaster every year.
I have some really interesting stories this year! I got my tonsils out *and* I got home invaded!

Early Morning → Morning

The absurdity of it all… “Who exactly are the Phantom Thieves?” That’s what we want to know. We really have no clue what method they’re using… Killing someone without directly interacting with them is like magic. Speaking of magic, did you know that there’s magic in math too? A magic square! It’s a square in which adding up the numbers in any row, column, or diagonal gives you the same total. Hamiru-san. Please look at this.

That’s correct. It’s easy once you know which numbers fit in the empty squares.

In a 5x5 square, there are more than 200 million. Can you believe that?

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

If you had to choose, would you try to find the Phantom Thieves or solve 200 million magic squares? I’d choose the magic squares, hands down. They might both be magic, but magic squares can be calculated. And math doesn’t kill anyone.
Having everyone out there looking for the culprit is getting me down…

Morning → Afternoon

We’ll mainly be sorting through the questionnaires regarding who the students want as the guest of honor.
Oh, you mean for that lame panel discussion they do every year…
Because of everything going on, the festival’s dates were changed, so we need to hurry and tally the results.
>The festival is in three days, Makoto. Is that really enough notice to get a guest?
I’m sure it’ll be fine…
>I’ll do it if you pay me.
We don’t have the budget to pay a speaker, unfortunately…
>Weak.
Just come to the student council room after school, everyone.
Very well.
Not you, Yusuke.
Or you, Futaba, I can see you typing.
Argh… Haru, did you find anything yet?
Sorry… I’m afraid to raise everyone’s suspicions by asking too many detailed questions…
It’s fine! I’ll manage somehow!

Afternoon → After School

Music: Wicked Plan

This suuuucks… Why are we doin’ this crap when poo poo’s so bad right now!?
Stop whining and help.
Uh, all of these say “Akechi.”
Most of mine are too.
People instantly turned their backs on us, it seems. They never accepted us to begin with.
Oh poo poo, eff this… I just found some criminal profiler guy sayin’ the Phantom Thieves were working their way up to murder the whole time!
They’re saying it was all a warm-up before Okumura?

*sigh* So now they’re accusing us of being a bunch of killers…
This is so effin’ stupid! Dammit!
We have the results. First place is Goro Akechi.
What!? Akechi!?
What’re you so surprised for? We’ve been mentioning him this whole time.
Seriously? Not some singer or an idol?
It’s because of us that his popularity has skyrocketed.
We’re the ones countin’ the results! Can’t we just make ‘em up? We don’t hafta get him…
People will figure that out. He won by a landslide…
I knew people would vote for him, but this is way more votes than I was expecting.
It would be best for us to avoid inviting such a clear danger upon ourselves… I’d like a little more time to think about who to ask…

You guys realize that Akechi is incredibly busy right now, right? I find it pretty implausible that he would even respond to us reaching out, let alone that he would have either time or the desire to do this between all of his TV appearances. What I’m saying is, I think we’re fine if we don’t get him.
Oh, I just remembered something. Maaku, how is Futaba-chan doing with that thing she was looking into? Has she told you anything about it?
Nope.
Oh…
We’ll just have to hope she comes up with something…

After School → Evening

Hey.

Hey yourself.

(from television) I’ve been met with a lot of criticism over my anti-Phantom Thieves stance, but I have not wavered. That said, I believe this recent series of deaths to be unrelated to their actions.
(Interviewer) Huh!? That’s not the soundbite I was hoping fo—I mean, that’s not what we expected you to say! You were the first person to caution everyone about the Phantom Thieves, weren’t you? Why this sudden change?
In my view, this changes nothing. They are still a dangerous group. I am simply stating that we’re being hasty in linking them to this case. We have little hard evidence against them yet, after all.
(Interviewer) Do you hear that, everyone? Akechi is suggesting that the Phantom Thieves may be innocent!
Yes, the PHANTOM THIEVES may possibly be INNOCENT. And if their LEADER wishes to CONTACT ME, he knows MY NUMBER.
(Interviewer) He?
Or she.

(Newscaster) After this conference, Akechi-san announced he will be limiting his media appearances and—
I wonder why the sudden change.

I dunno. That guy is a beautiful enigma to me.

Seriously? Even you’re having trouble with this poo poo?
What should we do?
Let’s meet up and discuss our options as soon as possible.
Tomorrow?
The earlier the better, right? Though I still haven’t come up with anything myself…
It’s said two heads are better than one, so I can only imagine what eight heads may produce.
That’s a good way of thinking.
It’s totally an Inari idea.
OK, let’s do everything we can right now. Even if it means crossing some dangerous bridges. Considering how far we’ve come, we can’t be particular about our methodology…

I wish. The girls are too into me. They’re attracted to my raw animal magnetism and I have to beat them away with a stick. Please help me.

Are you trying to show off? Don’t get cocky, kid.

By the way… you haven’t been causing trouble, right? I heard about the police coming to your school again…
The police show up at Shujin all the drat time! I can’t possibly be responsible for *all* of those!
You’re not really making me feel any better, y’know… But as long as you’re not getting involved…

Yesterday, they spent the entire day conducting an investigation at a high school. However, it is unclear if they found any clues, and unease among citizens is at its peak. The government has been criticized by the public for allowing such a dangerous group to run free…
They think we’re dangerous!? Why’s this happening to us?

(Burly Officer) All right, Akechi-kun, let’s get you home. Your family is probably worried about you.
Hmm, there’sh an inshident, offisher! Which way’s yer car? Heeey, taxi!
Geez, my patrol car isn’t a taxi.

(Reserved College Student) (still missing) Murder’s a step too far. My friends in class were shocked.
Okay, okay, enough worrying! We got more important concerns, like when our next party’ll be!

(Impressed Shop Manager) I see you’ve been practicing. Your Japanese is much better.
I no longer fear prejudice, now that I’ve learned to be sincere and hospitable! I wonder if the Phantom Thieves are struggling with the same thing. I don’t think they murdered anyone.

Gee, I’ve gotta say, I’ve never even heard of it. Do you have a good guess? I’m utterly clueless. Some kind of ghoul or goblin, I gather.

Now, I know this is a difficult task, but you got game when it comes to grabbing goods.

We already have a Gear Girimehkala, so let’s give it to him.

…I’d say if it weren’t for the gear, its shape would be ambiguous at best. In any case, good work! I look forward to our next trade.

A straight upgrade for Morgana, nice.

Well, we teachers still have work to do. All the police visits have left the students uneasy. I hope it doesn’t have too much of an impact on their midterm scores…

They only target high-profile people like artists and CEOS. And who could believe they’d have a change of heart, anyway? I’m sure it’s all staged! Scumbags deserve to be destroyed, not have a change of heart. The world’d be better off that way.

I accidentally talked to this guy again, oops.

Th-That’s a Mothman figurine! How’d you get another one!? Trade me your Mothman for… Model Gun! Y-You’ll trade with me, right?

We trade our last Mothman for another Model Gun while we’re here, though.

So why don’t we go on an overnight trip? I mean, after the hundreds of thousands I’ve spent on you…
(Innocent-Looking Woman) I’m sorry. The rental regulations stipulate no overnight stays…
That’s why I’m asking you personally. I’ll pay you for it, too.
You know, if you keep this up for too long, my boss might make a post about you on the Phan-Site…

This is effectively a murder threat, right? No other way to read that? Jeez, lady, I understand your position but not cool.

Oh, right. Do you think we can talk about last time again?

All right, Mishima. Let’s have you finally make it up to us after all the bullshit you’ve been pulling lately.

Thanks for your concern. I want to go somewhere I can talk to you alone… How does the park sound?

Moon Rank 7: Part 117

I’ve been thinking, and… We should cancel the request on Akiyama-kun.
Way ahead of you there.
It would have been pointless anyway. How would going after him help you guys get famous?
Are you still obsessed with fame?

Music: Alleycat

How do you—oh, I guess you’re a phantom thief. You can look inside my heart, can’t you?
To be fair, I knew that before I went in there. It was very obvious.
I’ve been doing all this for the wrong reasons… I started the Phan-Site so I could spread your message of justice… But lately, it’s all been about getting famous myself. Though maybe that was always the real reason… Ha, I was so desperate to prove I wasn’t just some loser that I proved even to myself that I was… I don’t deserve to work with you guys…

…Well, thanks for everything! Bye!

Man, I totally ate dirt… I’m such an idiot… Hahaha… I can’t even run away right… *sigh*

Working alongside the Phantom Thieves made me feel like I could change the world too… I relished that beautiful feeling… but it was never true. Only you guys have that power. That’s the truth… There’s no way a pathetic guy like me could help you…
Come on, man. Suck it up.
Huh!?
So, you got a big head. So, you’re a massive fuckup. So what? You want to change the world, right? I’m gonna let you in on a secret: you can’t do it alone. That goes whether you’re a regular person or a phantom thief. What you really need are the desire, the will… and the numbers. That’s good enough. You’re good enough. So if you’re still on board… yeah, I’d say you can be of service. Somehow.

Hamiru…! Thank you… I’ll just have to think of what that might be…

Oh, wait, duh! The Phan-Site! How could I forget?
You mean, the thing you’ve already been doing? I’m not sure how you forgot about that, to be honest.

I don’t want it to be about public relations anymore though. First and foremost, that site needs to be a safe haven for people in serious trouble. After all that happened to me with Kamoshida, I know how hard it can be to speak out against injustice… So… as long as there are voices crying out to the Phantom Thieves, I’m gonna help them be heard.
Mishima’s motivation seems to be growing stronger…

I’m still worried about some of the rumors I’ve heard about him, but I’ll do some more research. By the way, he’s not as bad a guy as he pretends to be. Apparently he’s super sweet to his girlfriend. Can you imagine that? They’ve been talking about getting married even since back in middle school. ...I’m honestly kinda jealous. Anyway, I’ll see you later.

…That thing I mentioned about Akiyama-kun turned out to be true. It wasn’t just some rumor. I found a post on the Phan-Site by a girl who I assume is Akiyama-kun’s girlfriend. It says she’s worried because her boyfriend’s been hanging out with some sketchy guys. Acting strange, too. It seems like enough evidence to make him a target, but I’m gonna look into this a little further, just to be safe.

We can’t ignore any cry for help on the Phan-Site! Haha… Even I didn’t realize the Phan-Site meant this much to me. Thanks, Hamiru. For helping me get here. Heh heh… Okay, let’s keep up the good work! Bye!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Is it ever explained why Kawakami keeps up the Maid Outfit thing? I feel like she'd want to get as far away from it as possible as soon as she could.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kith posted:

Is it ever explained why Kawakami keeps up the Maid Outfit thing? I feel like she'd want to get as far away from it as possible as soon as she could.

Shut up

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

(She says it's because going over to your house regularly as a teacher is sketchy, but I can't imagine it being sketchier than the maid thing)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No one can possibly recognize her once she's in a maid outfit despite not disguising her face or anything, because clearly people only see clothing and not any other aspects of their body.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

If Hitman has taught me anything it's that people pay way more attention to clothing and uniforms than your face.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It would be suspicious if I regularly visit my student as a teacher -- not like I can just visit as a regular customer at a cafe. Therefore, I must visit as a conspicuous maid.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

(She says it's because going over to your house regularly as a teacher is sketchy, but I can't imagine it being sketchier than the maid thing)

I mean, it kinda makes sense. I went to college with a fairly popular pornstar and I asked her if she ever worried about getting recognized, and she replied that her face isn't what people pay attention to.

That outfit presents a lot of things to look at that aren't Kawakami's face.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Thank goodness she can fall back on the significantly less sketchy act of going to her student's house dressed as a French maid for what is implied to be an adult service.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Clearly she's just someone Sojiro hired to cleanup the cafe at night.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Makoto, I don’t think Ryuji suddenly taking an interest in student affairs is very “surreptitious,” whatever that means.
Trying to blend in will only have the opposite effect.
That makes absolutely no sense.

The game kind of glosses over this, but I think it makes perfect sense. They already have a profile of you hanging out all the god dang time with people related to every known target; they're not gonna get more suspicious if you keep hanging out with your established friends, but if you suddenly stop seeing them, that's gonna signal that you were up to something shady and got spooked.

Makoto's absolutely making the right call, weird as it sounds.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

But in this case Makoto is referring to doing something different and out of character. It's making the group more conspicuous for no reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
okay yeah putting Ryuji on the festival committee is stupid and conspicuous but not in a red flag kind of way

Like apparently no one else is on the committee? That raises some questions about what the gently caress the rest of the student council is even doing, but it makes sense that Makoto would rope in her friends.

I've just been assuming Makoto was going it alone for some reason, if she actually booted people to have a private meeting under false pretenses, yeah, that's terrible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine it wouldn't be too weird for Haru to have already been in it and that she had to take a step back because of the whole 'uh my father just died on national TV' deal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 158: 10/23-10/24: Let’s Talk About Politics (New)

This update covers content from Part 128 of the original LP.

Anon: lol dont be fooled so easy

Daytime

He’s just trying to get popular, isn’t he? He wants to stand out.
Just hurry up and arrest the Phantom Thieves already…
I’m curious… It seems like he knows something.
I bet he found out some really juicy secret!

Anon: Murderers deserve to die!
Anon: Go Go Detective Prince!!
Anon: media’s garbage as expected
Anon: bring on the breakdowns~!
Anon: typical bandwagon, gg
Anon: Criminals should die

Makoto, has Niijima-san told you anything about the investigation?
Well… Sis actually stopped mentioning anything about work in front of me… It’s possible I made some sort of mistake…

You probably botched the USB thing somehow.
Noted. Anyway, I figured out who we’re going to invite to the culture festival…
Can’t wait to find out!

I’m considering asking Akechi-kun.
For real!?

Oh, you went with the obvious choice. That’s fine, I guess.

Weren’t you talkin’ about how you didn’t wanna draw danger to us or whatever?
I understand this is dangerous. But without a powerful source of intel, we won’t be able to win against the police network. And I can no longer rely on my sister for information…
Wait, is this because of Akechi-kun’s police connections? You’re going to use him as your “powerful source of intel”?
Bold move. I’m surprised to hear that suggestion coming from you, Makoto.

I saw his press conference yesterday. He was defending the Phantom Thieves and saying there was more to this. I think he knew the Phantom Thieves would be watching when he said that.
Seems a little far-fetched, Makoto. There’s a *lot* of TV channels.

Still, there will be so many other students at the school festival… What are the odds of success?
It’s a gamble. And the odds are less than favorable… But we can no longer afford to hesitate.

What are your thoughts, Maaku? Should we invite Akechi-kun?
You sure about this?

No, but it’s not like we have any other options.

Hold on, how’re we even gonna get in touch with him? It’s not like we got his contact info…

*ahem*
Huh!? No effin’ way…
I’m going to ignore that you had that this whole time and just ask you to send it my way.
Okey-doke.

I’ll contact him right away.
I gotta say, I’m really not big on this Akechi deal.

We know.

He says, “Let me think about it.”

He’s gonna let us stew until the last minute. That’s so like him.
Aren’t you supposed to be his friend?

Daytime → Evening

I wonder if he’ll really be interested in our offer…

Stock prices of security companies are on the rise due to growing concerns about public safety. Overall stock market performance, though, is down, and phantom thief goods companies are suffering…
I never expected that even the economy would get worse… This isn’t our fault!

You’re not at fault. Still, he might try to harass you…

I promised Futaba we’d change his heart together. I should talk to her during the day…

(Doting Father) “Mystery Stew”!? That… doesn’t sound appetizing at all. But you’re right—hot pot is delicious during this season. I like it a lot, too.
You have it a lot when you go drinking after work. I can’t eat hot pot all by myself…
Oh, uh, y-you said you wanted Mystery Stew, right!? I’ll go find it for you!

Where can we get some Mystery Stew…?

As it turns out, this random vending machine in Akihabara sells it. We already had three, though. Whatever, we’ll grab another.

Whoa, it’s a Kin-Ki! It’s almost too shiny! That’s a real rare one. Will you trade it to me for Revivadrin and Life Ointment? I use this a lot too…

I accidentally talked to the Covetous Man again, but I do need some revival items, so I accept his trade.

We can get Masukukaja if we go to the jazz club tonight.

Who’re you gonna invite?

We don’t need Masukukaja on anyone though, so this is going to be another one for Futaba.

Music: No More What Ifs

Before, I used to be like, “Just wait until I’m tall, then I’ll show you!”…

These anecdotes are all randomly picked per-visit, by the way. There’s no set order to them.

It’s not bad spending a day outdoors every now and then… My thanks, Maaku!

Support Plus 2 automatically subs in for Support Plus 1. This new version lets Futaba cast Marakunda or Masukunda, instead of just Masukunda.

But it ended up being pretty fun. Let’s go home, Maaku!

Anon: you’re guilty too tbh

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

…Senpai, have you been sleeping well? You look kind of tired… …… It might not be my place to ask, but… Are you okay?

Well… all right then.

I had no idea that the preparations would take so much work… I underestimated it.

Well, I’m going to do some training today, so please excuse me!

Did we announce it already?

(Wise Guy Student) Oh, you mean Akechi, right? I kinda saw that coming. Everyone I know voted for him.
Didn’t he say he wasn’t gonna make any more appearance though? Why’d he agree to come here?
It probably has to do with the Phantom Thieves. Wasn’t Akechi going around saying how evil they were before?
Oh yeah! That proves they’re connected to our school somehow then!
Hey, you’re right! Maybe he’ll tell us some stuff about the case! No way am I gonna miss the panel this year!
Hmph… They just say whatever they want with no thought… But for now we’ll just need to endure it. At least until we can get some more intel…

Early Morning → Morning

Some of those old stories sounded too crazy to be true, now that we’ve got so many years behind us. Sometimes, people have a hard time remembering what’s realy and what’s exaggerated. This kind of stuff happens to you guys too, right? But there’s a reason for this. This phenomenon has a name too. All right, Hamiru-kun. From a psychological standpoint, what’s a key reason our memories can differ from reality?

That’s right! Impressive. It’s a type of cognitive bias that can impair or even alter your memories. Specifically, the name of the phenomenon in question is called “false memory.” Like the name implies, it’s a case where our brain may generate memories that simply aren’t true.

Maaku gains Knowledge + 1.

The difference between inaccurate memories and the facts can lead to a lot of confusion. Still, if your subconscious desire manifests as a memory, I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing.
False memories, huh… But it’s totally real to the person, right? What a strange concept.

Morning → Lunchtime

How’d you do?
(Male Student) drat… I’m dead…
Hey, look at that! Look who got the top score!

…I’m top of the class!
That’s amazing! Everyone’s gonna have their eyes on you now!

Maaku gains Charm +3.

Lunchtime → Afternoon

Not yet.
So we don’t have a guest yet, and the school festival starts tomorrow…
>You’re saying we’re boned.
>Actually, we’re probably boned no matter what happens, but we’re currently boned in this direction.
I don’t know what he’s doing yet, but he hasn’t responded further… I’ll find a way to get him to agree.
>I told you. He’s letting you stew.
Stop gloating. In fact, you should head straight home after school, we need to keep in contact in case of an emergency.
>Nooooo! My free time! Mooooom!

Afternoon → Evening

You’re back awfully late.

No I’m not. Oh, you were continuing the bit, I see. Never mind.
Hey, you. Kid detective. Is that Niijima lady doing well?
We haven’t seen each other lately. We had a falling out, of sorts.
Well, if you do see her, tell her to go gently caress herself.
I see you can certainly hold a grudge.

……

(on television) (nervously) Our country is… bad…? Because… Phantom Thieves? I want to make it… good?
(audience loving loving this poo poo)

(gaining some confidence) I’m gonna catch the Phantom Thieves! Personally and immediately!
(TV Host) Uh, do you really have the authority to—
Shut up!
(Pompous Male Customer) Wow, this guy really tells it like it is!
I’ll shoot the leader of the Phantom Thieves in the head! I don’t give a gently caress! That’s what you idiots want, right!?
(confused-yet-appreciative applause from audience)
(TV Host) Er, Shido-san…
*ahem* Apologies, I got carried away there. Anyway, we’re gonna catch the Phantom Thieves in Tokyo, and Kyoto, and Okinawa, and Hokkaido, and then we’re going to take back the country for all of you watching! YEAAAAAAH!

Can't remember where, though! Oh well!

What’re you standing there staring off into space for? You’re creeping me out.

Standing here’s my job.

Incredible! That politician is the hero we need!
Hey, quick question: do you have any experience with politicians? Particularly with them making outsized promises?
None, why?
Never mind.
What do you think, Boss?

Sorry, wasn’t listening.
“Criminals,” hm? Well, that must be how he sees it. However, that is ignorant of their true nature.

Oh? Had a change of heart yourself?
I’ll ignore that. If the Phantom Thieves really only change the hearts of criminals, if Okumura truly was not them… then they’re not “innocent,” but perhaps we’re more aligned than I initially thought…
Sounds like you’re becoming a fan. Join the club, it’s fun.
Hahaha. No, I don’t think so. But that reminds me, I was invited to a panel at Shujin Academy, and I’ve decided to accept. It’s… a good opportunity, let’s say.
I don’t know what that means.
It’s nothing.

(to Sojiro) Thank you for the coffee. It was delicious.
Glad you liked it.
(to Maaku) I’m happy I could see you. I’ll be going now.

Well, then maybe you should just let HIM live in the attic, huh!?

Hm? Really?
Either way, the real issue is what we do next.
The lecture is on the afternoon of the second day, yes?
Wait, you’re coming to our school festival?
It’s during my exam week, so I’ll be able to go in the afternoon.
Can you afford that distraction? How’s your studying going?
Decently. Incidentally, will that counselor be at the festival as well?
Oh, Dr. Maruki? Probably.
I see! Finally, I shall witness his skills for myself… Perhaps I should prepare a gift. They say first impressions are everything.
I dunno if he’ll even be there. If anything gets confirmed, I’ll drop you a line.
Much obliged.
You wanna come too, Futaba? C’mon, it’ll be fun!

At a time like this?
This is the perfect chance for us to relax though.
Haru, um, you sure you’re OK? This seems a little soon.

Why is Futaba using “um” in text-speak?

I am, thank you. I’ve just always dreamed of walking around my school festival with friends.
I suppose if you say it like that, I can resign myself to enjoying our time there too. Thanks, Haru.
It’s my pleasure.

This country’s got a first-rate economy with a cut-rate government. He’s a rare specimen. Our souls resonate on the same frequency… That is, exceptional people can always recognize one another. You’ll see one day, hahaha.

We conducted a survey about the Phantom Thieves, who have been the target of intensifying criticism. Close to ninety percent of respondents said they do not support the Phantom Thieves.
The whole world’s against us now… This could be bad.

I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover. Then maybe you didn’t need this… Oh well. Take it.

I made it myself. It’s got my finest coffee beans in it. I wanted to give it to you before the exams… but well, you still have more tests. Don’t let up on the finals.

The Leblanc Charm nulls Sleep. Fairly useless, sorry Sojiro.

The real question is, how do we get info out of Akechi…?

Music: Time to Repent

This means at times, retreating is an effective strategy in order to attack with your next move. It may be good for you to remember that as well.

Will you play a match with me?

Thank you. Please take a seat.

Star Rank 10: Part 127

I’m sure you’ll make a brilliant comeback.

That’s my intention.

A lot of people covered for me by saying that I was just being used by adults. But no, it’s my own fault. I was overconfident. I should have been more objective about my own skill level. I thought I could use my skills to overcome being turned into an idol, so I couldn’t afford to question them. And as for my mother… I can’t really find the words. I’m grateful to you, of course.

You didn’t abandon me, even after you learned about the fixed matches… …Now I know how encouraging it feels to have someone believe in you. At first, this was just a deal… You help me develop new moves and I give you shogi lessons. But before I knew it, you became… someone I couldn’t do without. I’m not gonna pay attention to all the criticism anymore. This time, I’ll earn everyone’s praise… with my own skills!
I believe in you.
The reason I’m able to think this way is because you stuck by my side. …I’m really grateful.
I feel a strong bond with Hifumi…

Music: The Spirit

Well then, on to our final lesson…

Music: Sunset Bridge

I truly hope that you… No…

I’m honored to hear that.
I’d ask how you figured it out, but you’re a semi-genius or whatever, so…
I told you about my mother, and then she changed… What else was I to think?
Yeah, we’re not very subtle.

If there’s anything I can do to help, please know that you can rely on me.

Thanks.

I will support you in whatever you want to accomplish. Now, let’s play a match. I have a lot of new moves I’d like to test out. I hope you’re okay to stay here a while longer. Thank you… from the bottom of my heart.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 11, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I probably missed this, but why does everyone assume the phantom thieves killed that guy instead of him having a stroke or something

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he publicized that he'd gotten a calling card and died in the middle of an apology press conference, which is iconic of someone whose heart has been changed by the Phantom Thieves (ignore that it's happened exactly once before)

also the villain owns the media and is actively working to frame you

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I probably missed this, but why does everyone assume the phantom thieves killed that guy instead of him having a stroke or something

I don't think a stroke (or any medical phenomenon) causes black ooze to come out of your face, so a reasonable assumption is that the supernatural phantom thieves probably did a thing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arist posted:

They revoked her honors status!? This school is so messed up…

Does honours status mean something beyond high grades on the latest report card in Japan? How does that just get revoked?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arbite posted:

Does honours status mean something beyond high grades on the latest report card in Japan? How does that just get revoked?

From what we've seen already, Kasumi's honors status (though I don't think this scene is referring to Kasumi, to be clear) means she has extra leeway for stuff like exam dates and maybe attendance due to strong extracurricular performance. Revoking that status would mean removing those benefits, making it harder for her to stay competitive in gymnastics, for example.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 159: 10/25-10/26: Painted Into A Corner (New)

This update covers content from Part 129 of the original LP.

Anon: world-famous fail loool

Afternoon

The festival seems to be a success.
There’s definitely a lot more people than last year.
Well, yeah. This place got “famous” and all.

Ryuji, I could *hear* the air-quotes around “famous” there. What do you even mean by that?
Uhhh… I dunno…
He’s right, though. After the Phantom Thieves… Kamoshida… the principal… and now, Akechi will be a guest here. There may even be plainclothes police officers attending… We should be careful about what we say.

Acting like normal students is going to be important.
What do you normally do at a school festival?
Look around at the exhibits… and eat stuff?
There’s no set rules for this kinda thing. Walk around and hang out, like when we went to the beach.

Except hopefully very much unlike that in several key areas!

You’re so laid-back… There’s a possibility that your name and Ryuji’s have come up.
A number of the teachers had been questioned before, and even we were interviewed the other day too.
Don’t let your guard down too much.
It’s true that the initial members have been at this for a long time, making it easier to get tracked…
All riiiight…
Now, now. Let’s leave it at that. We just need to be mindful about what we’re saying, correct?

I’m sure everyone here knows what the consequences of letting their fat mouths run will be, right?
*gulp*

You seem to be having quite a bit of fun, Haru. You did mention that you were looking forward to this.
I want to go around with everyone and eat at the refreshment stands.
This’ll be a great change of pace from all the nasty stuff lately!
Shall we head off to the stands then?

I know just the place to start!

“Maid Takoyaki”?

New customers! I’ll show you all to your seats.
…So it’s your class’s stand.

Ann, this isn’t going to work on me. I’m in this class. I know how ramshackle this operation is.
Shut the gently caress up, dude! I earn a commission for every customer I bring in!

It’s like a deserted island here…
Well, I guess it’s good for talking since there aren’t any people here…

May I take your order?

You’re actin’ like a waitress, not a maid!

There are a lot of odd flavors…

We should probably just get a normal one, I don’t have a lotta faith in this place…

I’m so sorry. We sold our last normal one to the previous customer.

It’s like 1 in the afternoon, how is that possible!?

Well then… I’ll have the mentai cheese takoyaki.
I’m sorry. We’re out of cod roe.

For years, I’ve refused to look up what “mentai cheese” is because it sounded gross, especially in the context of octopus, and thus had no idea what it had to do with fish. Apparently, food products made from a species of roe called “pollock” are referred to as “mentaiko” in Japan. I guess you eat those with cheese for the “mentai cheese” aspect? I dunno, I’ve never had takoyaki.

Then, how about the squid—
Um… We’re currently out catching squid. It’ll probably take another five or six hours…
That doesn’t even sound remotely possible! Ain’t this whole menu just a sham!?
Actually, we spent most of our budget on making the maid costumes look nice.

I mean… they’re okay, I guess.

We didn’t put too much effort into the octopus.
I can see that!

I would question many aspects of this operation, but again, I already knew about this disaster, so I can only watch it unfold.

Ryuji, you’re making a scene.

They deserve it!
We’re sorry about him. What would you recommend that’s currently available?
Try the Russian takoyaki!
Do you have anything else available?
No!

We’ll have that, please.
This will take a little time.

…Let’s forget about the octopus and get back on topic.

I can’t believe people are treating Kamoshida like a victim now!
And Goro Akechi certainly seems popular now.
You can blame the Phantom Thieves for that.
Is Akechi comin’ here because he really believes we didn’t kill anybody…?
It’s possible he simply relishes the attention. That could explain his contrarianism as well, now that I think about it…
You know him, don’t you Maaku? Is that like him?
It’s odd… even when we hang out, he comes across as a little too slick. Like he’s putting on a performance even just for me. I wouldn’t put it past him, I suppose.
The hell’s that mean?

We plan on stealing intel, but we might fall into another trap. I’m gonna be bummed if that happens…

I agree, it would be a bummer to go to jail.

Thank you for the wait.
Ooh, it’s fresh made!

Music: My Homie

Lies! I heard a microwave go off!

I’m pretty sure we made sure to only pick the frozen takoyaki boxes with the most freezer burn we could find, for the record.
You’re ruining the magic…

Well, it’s not like I was expectin’ crispy takoyaki at a school festival or anything. So, what makes this a “Russian” takoyaki?
Could there be jam in it as a secret ingredient? That sounds quite delicious.
Well… one of these is “special.”

Special? In what way?
…You’ll see. Enjoy!

You think it’s maybe the ominous red one?
Wait, so the “Russian” part means…
SPIN THE CHAMBER. PULL THE TRIGGER. SEAL YOUR FATE.
Not very suspenseful a challenge, is it?

It’s like, going for the obvious one is manly?
I-Is that so?
I’d prefer the most beautifully shaped one… but all of them are misshapen.

Enough prattle. Eight of us. Eight octopus balls. Who’s getting it?
If you all don’t mind, I think I’ll go for the red one.
Wait, you’re really going to eat it?
I can feel it calling my name… a tantalizing taste of death waiting for me… Also, it looks yummy!

Th-The panel isn’t until tomorrow though…

I came to take a look at the venue. A lot of people will be there and I need to check out any potential vantage points for snipers looking to shoot me in the head.
…Has that happened before?
You’d be surprised.

But, people ended up recognizing me. Everyone bombarded me with questions.

I mean, obviously that was gonna happen…

I grew tired of the baseless rumors they kept bringing up, so I escaped to where there weren’t any people.

*gasp* The “special” one!
Let’s just call this my performance fee. *snarfs it down in one bite*
But—
It’s fine.

Mmm, delicious. I especially love how parts of it are hot and other parts are ice-cold.
…Huh, I guess it was a dud.
Oh, there’s a new flavor coming on, I see. What shall this bring to the tab—

Eating it in one bite is a bad idea…

Ngh… My throat…! Urgh! This is…! Ohhh… Oh, my stomach… It burns!
Are you okay? Do you need water?

Good detail here is that Akechi is currently trembling.

I’m glad you enjoyed it, but Haru was gonna eat that. You should apologize.
Wha… Sorr—Oh god… I need to… see you t-t-t-tomorrow…

And then he walks away like he’s about to poo poo himself.

Ah, good ol’ Akechi! What a funny guy!
Do you think he truly came simply to inspect the venue?
…This isn’t good. I keep suspecting every little thing…
…I know what you mean. I’m doing the same too. I need to do my best tomorrow. We need to somehow get him to be our source of intel…

I’ll make sure to pull it off, everyone!
All right, settle down. You’ve got a whole day left, maybe try to save some of that energy.

That Akechi guy… …When he got here, didn’t he say that everyone’s all here?

You’re… You’re just imaginin’ things…

Yes, but the associated mental fatigue was extraordinary. Being cautious takes a lot out of you…
Seriously. I think I’m as tired now as I am after midterms.
I didn’t mind any of that. I just loved seeing that detective gulp down the special takoyaki…
I had fun as well, since I got to spend time with you all.
What would you like to do now, Haru? Walk around a little more?
I appreciate the gesture, but I’m satisfied with stopping here. Why don’t we go home and rest up? We’ll have to deal with Akechi-kun again tomorrow, after all…
I have to agree. What will his next move be?

Uh, Maaku? Yusuke’s missing.

…Think he’s still checking out all the festival stalls?

Yusuke Kitagawa was found dead the next morning.

*steps closer* My name is Yusuke Kitagawa. I’m a student in the fine arts division at Kosei High. I do apologize for interrupting your day, but ever since Ryuji and Ann first spoke of you, I’ve grown quite intrigued…

Ryu… Oh, Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san?

*takes a big step closer*

*sweating*
Now, teach me how to unshackle the human heart and glimpse into its endless abyss!

How should I put this… Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but I suspect there’s a huge misunderstanding about what I do.
I apologize—I simply couldn’t contain my excitement.

That’s not really allowed, haha…

Oh! But how about this? Why not try out my counseling yourself instead?

Mmhm. Of course, there’s no charge. All you’d have to do is chat with me for a bit.

I’m not sure what you think happens in counseling, but, uh, there won’t be any of that…

Music: Ideal and the Real

It’s in the past.

Well, I’d say this is less “counseling” and more about building a rapport. When someone first comes to see me, we always start with them telling me a bit about themselves.

That’s rather similar to the internal cross-examination I perform when working on my art.

I just do my best to guide patients in a positive direction so they can improve their lives. At the very least, I talk them through their problems so they can make the correct choices for themselves.
I see.

Isn’t that just submitting to another person’s will?

But life in this world confines people to certain frames of mind sometimes, and without them even realizing it. If I can help lift the weight off their shoulders and free their minds, I believe the results are worth it.

Thank you very much for speaking with me. This has been a most valuable experience.

Would it be success as an artist?
No, that’s not it…

I see—then what would you wish for?
I would wish… for the world to see my mother’s painting for the masterpiece that it is, no matter how briefly. And if at all possible, I would also wish to meet a wonderful master—one who would take me in and guide my brush with care.
Ah… I see.
At any rate, I must be going now, so please excuse me. I hope we meet again someday.

Afternoon → Evening

The Legend of the Lost Inari has come to an end!
Where the hell were you? Did you seriously get lost?
I saw a man who resembled Dr. Maruki, so I went to see him.
So he was there? Did you go to see his counseling?
Yes. It was… certainly not what I was expecting. Once this is all over, I think I’d like to go to another session.

Are you still at school, Yusuke?
No, I just got back to the dorm. I’m getting ready for bed.
Already?
Is that unusual? Tomorrow is Akechi-kun’s panel, after all. An early night means he’ll be able to concentrate tomorrow.
That’s true. We’ll need to stay focused tomorrow. We have to stay calm, no matter what he says.
Right. I’ll keep that in mind.

We’ll have to make sure we don’t miss anything.

Man. Even yakisoba looks high-class when Haru’s eating it.
Please, you’re exaggerating… I think this is my first time having yakisoba from a food stand, though. It was more delicious than I’d imagined!
It was! It wasn’t the instant stuff, but still good.
Yeah. Dunno why, but food from a stall is always weirdly tasty. Speakin’ of, where are the pictures of us, Ann?
Hm?
You got pics of us too, right? How about the one you took of Maaku’s yakisoba? With the big red mountain of ginger?
Ohhh!
No, THAT one went straight into the trash. I had dry seaweed all over my teeth!

Criticism against him is not only coming from the opposition, but from the ruling party as well. If the ruling party does split, then a snap election may be a real possibility.
I don’t know a lot about politics, but it sounds like there’s a lot going on in the government.

Let me warn you again: if you do anything this time, it’s over, you hear?

Music: Dark Net

We’re at the final tier and now there’s some stuff we can’t afford, namely the Homunculus, which protects against an instant kill, and the Salvation Crown, which lets a party member use Salvation, which fully heals the party and cures all ailments.

We’ll be buying a Model Gun, a Retail Smile Mask (which gives Evil Smile, a move that can inflict Fear on enemies), a Black Kogatana, the Spirit Camera (which gives Ghastly Wail, which instantly kills anyone with Fear), and a Black Robe.

Now, let’s make some tools.

Music: Everyday Days

The only thing we actually need to make here is the Perma-Pick so we can stop making Lockpicks, but we’ll also make a Hypno Mist (which puts nearby enemies to sleep), 4 Treasure Traps (which increase the spawn rate of Treasure Demons), and 6 Vanish Balls (which let us flee from battle easily).

Maaku gains Proficiency +2 because the double craft doesn’t proc.

Anon: They need to be executed.
Anon: yeah… this is terrorism

We actually get one more of these internet pop-ups than normal, presumably because the next scene has a lot of people it needs to load.

Our guest of honor is Goro Akechi.
I feel kind of bad, considering how many people have gathered… I’m sure you all would’ve been happier to have a singer or a mascot appear, wouldn’t you say?
*audience laughing*

Yes, yes, please continue loving me.

We’d appreciate it if you could tell us about your experiences with the notorious Phantom Thieves. It’d be wonderful if you could let us hear more about your actual investigative process.

Oh, someone’s eager! If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were coming on to me, Niijima-san.
*audience swooning*
Ha. Ha. Cute. Let’s just stick to the questions, okay?

I’m not used to being the one interrogated… so please go easy on me.

How much do you think he knows?
He talks of how the Phantom Thieves are dangerous, yet he says they haven’t committed any murders… Either he has an idea of who the true culprit is, or he has uncovered the identities of the Phantom Thieves.
C’mon, Makoto… You gotta get it out of him…!

Hey, guys… I was just wondering… What’s the actual plan here?
What do you mean?
I mean, do we really think he’s gonna spill any useful info in front of all these people? He’s probably even had media training, for crying out loud! And even if he does reveal something we don’t know, couldn’t it bite us in the rear end just as easily as help us?
Why didn’t you point that out earlier!?
Sorry, I assumed Makoto knew what she was doing. I won’t make that mistake next time.
We’ll just have to have faith in her ability to direct the conversation…
I’m not holding my breath, personally.

As much as you’re allowed to say, would you tell us how far along your investigation is on them?

Cutting right to the chase, then. Well, everything you’ve seen on TV and the internet is all I’m at liberty to share. No leads, no clear method. Can I go now?
Please, stay a while longer. My next question is: the police seem to be largely ineffectual in capturing the Phantom Thieves.
That’s not a question.
Sorry. Why do you think that’s the case?
I mean, we certainly haven’t made much progress yet, I must admit…
Thank you.

By the way, it seems you’ve denied a correlation between the Phantom Thieves and the murders… Why the sudden change? Until now, haven’t you upheld your stance that the Phantom Thieves are dangerous? How are you so positive that they haven’t committed murder?

Whoa, you’re really interrogating me here! Looks like she’s dying to know the answer to this one, folks!
*audience laughing*
Excuse my enthusiasm. I’ve been personally interested in the answer to this question, so I couldn’t help myself…

But won’t you tell us? What reason is there that you’d claim their innocence when you previously stated they were unjust?

Mako-chan’s really pressing for an answer.
She’s pelting him with questions.

Oh, okay. You wanna do this now, in front of all these people? I see. Well, then you leave me no option.
Huh?

Every person whose heart they changed have truly been criminals, including Okumura… Why, then, was he the only one who needed to be killed…?
Why is that?
I must admit, I couldn’t deduce a reason. That’s why I believe that case should be thought of as if a different party is responsible.

Maybe the real culprit is really cool, and sexy, and smart, and he has a lightsaber! Just spitballing here, though.

And if—This is all hypothetical, mind you.

If *hypothetically* the Phantom Thieves are who I *hypothetically* think they are, I *hypothetically* couldn’t imagine they’d *hypothetically* kill anyone.

Music: Tension

Your comment just now… Does this mean the police have already identified who they are?

That was all hypothetical! But also, I have, yes. I haven’t shared my findings with the police yet, though.

He’s gotta be bluffin’!
Pipe down!
He’s lying, right…?
But if it’s the truth…

Niijima-san, you’re suddenly quiet… You’re not going to ask me who they are?
…W-Won’t that have negative repercussions on the investigation?
Eh, I’m sure it’ll be fine. It’s just my personal opinion, so it won’t pose an issue… though it’s possible that everyone here will know the truth before the police or media do.
But if you’re wrong, you’ll be slanderi—
I’m a cop, rules are fake. Just ask already. Unless… you have some reason not to?
Welp, we’re hosed.

If you’re so certain… then very well. I’d like to ask you then: who do you think the Phantom Thieves are, Akechi-san?
That idiot!

She was backed into a corner, dumbass! There was no other option!

No… there’s no way he could have any evidence…
They’re people you all know quite well. The identity of the Phantom Thieves are—

Oh, it’s mine. I apologize for the interruption, but I can’t turn off my phone due to my job. Would you mind if I step away for about… ten minutes or so?
I’m terribly sorry, everyone, but we’ll be taking a break. We’ll resume the panel in ten minutes.

(Audience Member) No promises!

There’s the PE faculty office.

Your friends from yesterday are here, aren’t they? Can you bring them too, if that’s all right?
Did you set this up?
We only have ten minutes, you know.

By which I mean, yes, obviously.

What do you want to talk about?

That’s gotta be ‘shopped!
I have video footage too.

Deepfake! Whatever!

Please, let’s not feign ignorance. All of you can go to that other world too, yes?

Well, if this is the end, I gotta say, I was impressed with that little stunt you pulled back there. Did you plan that in advance? Is there a guy watching with binoculars who you instructed to call you just before you revealed our identities? Because the timing there was just too good. I’m pretty sure you just gave the audience a legendary case of blue balls.
Dude!
Oh, you’re just admitting it. That makes this simpler.
You didn’t answer my question.
*sigh* Yes, there was a guy with binoculars.
Awesome.
You all have mysterious powers that let you infiltrate that other world, don’t you? I found out about that world a month ago, when a mysterious application was suddenly installed on my phone.
The Nav…?
The app activated on its own and I entered that other world. I know you’re the Phantom Thieves… because I have the same power as you.

We didn’t kill anyone!

Well, at least not as the collective entity known as the Phantom Thieves, anyway!
I believe you. Because I saw the true culprit.

Who was it!?

I don’t know… He had a really cool and gritty black mask on, after all. When I went to take those pictures, I entered that world and saw the true culprit. He shot at me when he noticed me, but I escaped.

That’s who killed President Okumura?
Most likely. At the very least, I was almost killed by him. “I can’t die here… I need to determine the truth… When those thoughts overcame me, I awakened to that power—a most fortunate accident.

……
I swear it just talked…

Hm…
That’s Morgana, our teammate. He taught us about the Metaverse.
Truly unbelievable… Did you also teach them how to change people’s hearts, Morgana? I still haven’t figured that part out yet.
Well, it’s a long and complicated explanatio—
No! We need to talk about the culprit!
Ah, yes. You all are clearly innocent of the murders. You simply reform people. But the police don’t understand… they will arrest you, at this rate. I can’t overlook such a grievous miscarriage of justice. So let’s strike a deal. I may be able to help you all.

A deal?
I would like you to cooperate with me on investigating the truth.
And if we decline?
Then I think I’ll have to inform the police about all of you, along with that video I mentioned.
This ain’t no deal! It’s blackmail!
Say what you will. This is the method that I believe is correct. The justice I uphold will not tolerate criminals who kill people at their leisure.
Justice…
You’ve heard that Sae-san is the one spearheading the investigation about you Phantom Thieves, correct?

She is under immense pressure from her bosses to settle the case quickly, by any means necessary. Once they establish causality, it’s over, even without a method. And Sae-san… isn’t behaving rationally at the moment. She may even fabricate a confession, if it came to that.
What…?
So they’re gonna pin it all on us just to make it simpler for themselves!?
But we didn’t kill anyone!
If you’re caught, you’ll be found guilty.

Bullshit! None of that makes any sense!

There’s nothing I can do acting alone to stop this anymore… So please, cooperate with me. In return, I’ll turn a blind eye to what you’ve done.

That said, I ask that you disband the Phantom Thieves after this. Please, think about it.

Well, this sucks.
I’m sure you’ll make the right decision. It’s you, after all. I’m glad we got the chance to talk like this, you know. It’s been a while since I’ve had so much fun.
You’re *blackmailing* us.
I’m sorry, is that not as fun for you as it is for me?

I look forward to your answer. It was definitely worth coming today—for various reasons.

We’re about out of time, Niijima-san. We’ll have to end there, though. My business here is concluded.
I’ll figure something out.
Are you kidding me!? You just told the audience you know who the Phantom Thieves are and then you split!? That audience is out for blood! I can hear them from here! They’re about to start a riot!
Isn’t human nature wonderful?
Huh???

Dammit! He had complete control over us!

Hey, they’re going…

...So we're both in agreement that he was completely full of poo poo back there, right?
Absolutely.
Alright, cool.

I’m sorry about the sudden break. An urgent task came in. So, I truly apologize about this… But I’ll have to end things here today.
*disappointed audience sounds*
To make up for the time that was planned for this panel, the rakugo research club will instead be—
I can’t say anything in detail regarding the Phantom Thieves investigation… But I feel another great stride will occur again soon. I hope you all continue to pay attention to what happens.
Let’s have a big round of applause for today’s guest, Goro Akechi.

This is bad…
I know… I would *not* want to be in the rakugo research club right now…

Was that really our best course of action?
He totally used Makoto’s suggestion against us.
Indeed. We intended to get intel out of him, but to think it would play out like this.
So what? We’ll just accept his deal?
He’s got evidence on us. We really don’t have a choice…
Dammit, what’re we gonna do!?
Calm down, Ryuji.
How am I s’posed to calm down!? What are we gonna do!?
What’s done is done. We’ll have to cool our heads and think more on this. We must make up our minds by the time he contacts us again.
We need to give this a lot of thought…

All these incidents were preceded with the target receiving a calling card. Basically, if you get a calling card from the Phantom Thieves, you’re completely hosed. Might as well have a mental shutdown right then and there, idiot.

(Advisor) If there’s a calling card, the Phantom Thieves were involved. No doubt about it.

I knew it… she’s… Oh god…

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 16, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like that the Russian takoyaki is one of the few times that Akechi truly loses his composure.

His downfall being food items is at least a consistent trend.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

…pancakes…
…waffles…

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Flair posted:

Arist posted:

…pancakes…
…waffles…

…you're not a waffles guy...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Then, how about the squid—
Um… We’re currently out catching squid. It’ll probably take another five or six hours…
That doesn’t even sound remotely possible! Ain’t this whole menu just a sham!?
Actually, we spent most of our budget on making the maid costumes look nice.
We didn’t put too much effort into the octopus.
I can see that!

Everything about this is a disaster. :allears:

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023
Persona 6 let us join a rakugo research club or i riot

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P5 is the only modern game where Joker can't join a school club, because he is a nasty crimeboy.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

…you're not a waffles guy...

please just let me buy stuff from the crepe stand

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

…pancakes…

So, I'm actually not terribly happy with this line and I'm probably gonna change it to:

...So we're both in agreement that he was completely full of poo poo back there, right?
Absolutely.
Alright, cool.

I think this is pretty objectively better.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 16, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 160: 10/26: Dance Your Heart Out (New)

This update contains content from Part 130 of the original LP.

Afternoon → Evening

Sojiro may have discovered our secret, but that’s irrelevant right now. We have a party to attend.

Eh, nobody invited you to it, so let’s just go home.

…Or a party to blow off, at least!

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Hamiru-senpai, aren’t you going to the post-festival party?

Since we’ve run into each other on our own, why not go together?

Let’s get in there, Hamiru-senpai!

The Student Sharing Special!
*disappointed/exasperated moans from the audience*
Buuuuut, before that: we’ve decided to change things up this year! We’ve got a huge surprise for you all!

The audience becomes confused, but still not quite interested.

Members of the dance club, c’mon down!

Music: Uptempo party music

I am just now noticing the banner in the back reads “Syujin.” I already knew that’s how they officially romanize the name or whatever, it’s just weird. Anyway, cool backflip, I guess.

These guys’ moves were not interesting to bother capturing the animation of, on the other hand. Guess they’re the second-stringers. That said, the audience is into it. Like, really bizarrely into it. In the game itself you can just baaaaarely hear a guy in the background shouting “THIS IS AWESOOOOOOME!”

Hamiru-senpai—let’s do it!

I prefer “Let’s bust a move.” as an option, but I felt obligated to pick “It’s showtime.” because that’s the first line of the intro movie for Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight. That game is not very good and neither is the OP, honestly, so I regret this decision.

Maaku does this dumb little fistpump, it rocks.

I really like this little beat. Kasumi doing this awkward little dance in place, looking over at Maaku for approval, trying to work up the will to go bigger…

…And then she does, and all hell breaks loose. One thing I really wish I’d been able to capture here that this animation doesn’t convey is how hard Maaku holds this pose at the end. It’s legitimately hilarious. Anyway, Morgana, you better not have barfed in that bag (again) from how hard Maaku was just killing it.

Music: Slower, softer party music

Hmm… Got it. I’m in!

Just wait here, and watch what happens!

Video: Party

You should probably click on that by the way, I made the decision to only use screenshots to capture it because otherwise it would have been a nightmare of a million animations, and I did the best I could to keep the motion legible, but there’s only so much I could do, you know?

Music: wish come true

Thank you.

(Stunned Female Student) I know, right? I was totally blown away.

Sorry to leave you like this, but I have to get going.

I will! Please excuse me.

See you soon!

Hold that thought…

Music: Break it Down

I tried to think ab0out what happened earlier, but that has gotten me nowhere. So I could use a change of pace. How about it?

Despite Maaku having just thought that it would be best to head home for the night, he immediately gets a text from Haru and accepts her request to go to the party together. Which, fair enough, you don’t wanna upset Haru. The weird thing is Maaku thinking he should head home at all, because not only is going to the party mandatory, the previous scene where he decides to go home was added in Royal, so it’s not even like, an issue where something changed in development or sequences fitting together weirdly.

I’ll be waiting at the gymnasium.

I find it interesting that the MC did, in fact, say that the dance club performed earlier in the original game, so that scene always happened, just without Kasumi. Less coherent is why they have a big banner saying “Dance! Dance! Dance!” if the dance thing was a surprise, but okay.

Everybody give another round of applause!
*scattered, unenthusiastic smatterings of applause*

It’s also funny that people seem to not be into this when they were basically frothing for hot dance action five minutes earlier.

I’m sorry.

Don’t be. It’s not your fault this party sucks. Well, it’s kind of your fault I’m here, so maybe be a *little* sorry? Whatever, it doesn’t matter.
I mean about what Akechi-kun said.
Yeah, we’re kinda hosed. Especially if I’m right about… something.
What are you talking about…?
Don’t worry about it. I’ll tell you if it pans out.

(Post-Festival MC) And now, it’s time for your favorite Shujin tradition: the Student Sharing Special! Round of applause, everyone!

*more light applause*

This is no one’s favorite anything!
Silence! Now, anyone have anything to share? …Anyone at all? No? I’ll just have to pick someone then!
*the sound of everyone in the auditorium simultaneously slouching down to avoid notice*
Hmm, my eyesight’s pretty bad, so I’m just going to pick the person who stands out the most! You! Girl over there in the garish pink sweater!
Garish…?
Yes, you! I’m *pretty* sure you’re not a lamp, so get over here!

Music: My Homie

Wait, really? He picked me…? There’s no way out of this, is there…?
I’ll always remember you.

Um, yes…

(Post-Festival MC) Are you… still grieving…? My apologies… Ugh, this is awkward…
(yelling from audience) Nice one, genius!
(yelling from audience) There is *one* person at this school who wears a sweater like that, moron!
(Post-Festival MC) Please, refrain from criticizing your host! Anyway, Okumura-san… Do you have anything you’d like to share with us?
Um… I like… gardening?
That’s not exactly what I had in mind… We need something a bit juicier! I know! After Akechi-kun had to leave, we were all dying to know what he was going to say about the true identities of those infamous killers! What do you think?
Huh? Infamous… killer??? *ahem* (in overly rehearsed monotone) I do not know the identity of the Odaiba Slasher, why do you ask?
Huh? I was asking you about your *father’s* killers! You know, the Phantom Thieves! Do you think they’re from Shujin? You’re probably the most affected by this, so we’re all dying for your opinion!

Erm…
*audience getting lively*
Haru is in trouble… I need to change the subject…

(shouting from audience) CAN I HAVE SOME OF YOUR MONEY!? YOU DON’T NEED IT ALL, RIGHT!?

Huh!?
Oh my, what drama! A little class warfare courtesy of the infamous transfer student! I’d watch my wallet if I were you, Okumura-san!
(shouting from audience) YOU SHOULD GIVE EVERYONE HERE 100,000 YEN!
*cheering from audience*
Yeah, what he said!
I want some money!
AND THEN GIVE ME ONE MILLION!
*booing*
I’m not doing that!
You ruined it for all of us, man!
(Post-Festival MC) All right, we’ve bullied her enough. Thank you for your time, Okumura-san!

Thank you for that back there. That little joke got me out of a jam.
Joke???
I wouldn’t have known what to do if you hadn’t been there.

You’re a mysterious person, but you’re so reliable. I think the two of us will get along quite well in the future… *giggle* As they say!

I’m still worried about what happened with Akechi-kun… But I had fun at my first post-festival party… And my last, I suppose.

Here, I’d like you to have this.

I… bought it earlier…

Oh boy. I totally know what this is. I can’t wait to… eat… it…?

*giggle* Now then, let’s go home.

Yeah, there’s been a sudden increase.
I bet it’s because of that Phan-Site.
I heard the victims were on the rankings there.
We should really be blaming the people who requested it.

Anon: Are the calling cards fake?
Anon: media’s garbage as expected.
Anon: bring on the breakdowns~!
Anon: typical bandwagon, gg
Anon: “Justice” sounds hollow now
Anon: world-famous fail loool

And that’s gonna do it for this time, but we do have another quick edition of…

Line changes!!!

Haru’s line “Just kidding!” after the post-festival party is now “*giggle* As they say!”, which I think works better in the scene in exchange for being a little weird as a line of dialogue.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 17, 2023

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

I… bought it earlier…

Oh boy. I totally know what this is. I can’t wait to… eat… it…?

hope you like eating mini candied goldfish sculptures, Maaku!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I appreciate that they put Maaku's killer dance moves in a scene where his bag is closed, which sometimes means Morgana hosed off somewhere to let you be alone on your date (like how he's nowhere to be seen in the Haru scene), but also have an animated video to establish that, nope, he was in there.

...Does that mean he's also spying on you at the student sharing special and countless other scenes where Joker is carrying a bag, even if we don't see him?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Formatting issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9sYYqWXVyw

Happy 10-year anniversary to "Winter 2014"