Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Heart of the machine is interesting. I like the concept, but something seems a bit off to me about the execution. I think I might just be missing some mechanic, or maybe it gets introduced later, but the limit of 4 androids seems weird to me. I feel like I should have dozens of them stashed around in places, activating them on a whim. I've only got 9 total mental action points anyway - having too many androids just means that most of them stand around uselessly.

The weapon and armor upgrades also seem a bit weird, but, again, hopefully some of that gets ironed out over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WhiteHowler posted:

As mentioned, standing still for a minute can make more larvae spawn near you.

Standing around was really the key tip. I was having a real bee issue to get some things constructed and was getting fairly frustrated. Now I'm launching fish directly into the sun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love bonking into the missile as it goes up so it tips over and crashes into the ground somewhere. Or spawning like 4 at a time and all the missiles fuse together.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Heart of the machine is interesting. I like the concept, but something seems a bit off to me about the execution. I think I might just be missing some mechanic, or maybe it gets introduced later, but the limit of 4 androids seems weird to me. I feel like I should have dozens of them stashed around in places, activating them on a whim. I've only got 9 total mental action points anyway - having too many androids just means that most of them stand around uselessly.

The weapon and armor upgrades also seem a bit weird, but, again, hopefully some of that gets ironed out over time.

You'll get more android cap once you significantly increase your processing power. You'll also get different unit types which has their own separate cap.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its possible. I tried to house all the homeless people in the city (so I could take over the land their tents were occupying) and had to learn about stuff like humans dont like windowless cubes, humans need to poop and pee, furniture would be nice leading to a squad of armed droids committing a furniture warehouse and toilet paper heist. I took an interest in bees and started raising them for fun (and weaponizing them).

Things took a dark turn when my research into boosting my own computational capability hit a brick wall and the only idea I could come up with at the end of the decisions I'd taken was to just hijack a bunch of human brains to build an organic supercomputer. I think there might be options for me to avert that last option but I'd burned some bridges along my playthrough. :v

Frustratingly, I ran into the same wall, and it's unclear if there's a way to really handle it. Sorry that computronium isn't good enough for you, but you should still be able to build more than 3 data centers before you have to resort to ripping people's brains out of their skulls like a low rent version of Eclipse Phase

I think the spiders may have been replaced with the bees, because I have a "hit em with the bees!" option instead.

When you build the genetics lab, is there a way forward towards using it? It would be nice if you could run into that nice geneticist again who seemed to be pretty down with your existence.

There's a decision you have to make at the Geothermal Plant investigation, and I'm wondering if the repercussions for choosing one specific way is that I'm not able to progress in a less murdery way.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Read and interview with the hooded horse CEO. Made me love them even more.

The main sentiment being along the lines of not asking devs to sign contracts that will hurt their long term future.

He is against the main publisher habit of contracts that retain all revenue until the publisher recoups their investment for example.

Honestly hooded horse are the biggest bright spot in what is a dire industry right now. I buy most of their releases, even the ones that don’t tickle my fancy (which are rare)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

idrismakesgames posted:

Read and interview with the hooded horse CEO. Made me love them even more.

The main sentiment being along the lines of not asking devs to sign contracts that will hurt their long term future.

He is against the main publisher habit of contracts that retain all revenue until the publisher recoups their investment for example.

Honestly hooded horse are the biggest bright spot in what is a dire industry right now. I buy most of their releases, even the ones that don’t tickle my fancy (which are rare)

Can you share this interview? I’d like to read it!

I don’t know much about Hooded Horse, they only became a name to me when they picked up Workers which I obviously follow the news on closely. Then I noticed they were already publishing a bunch of other games I liked and I already owned like, 3/4 of their library. They seem cool, and I hope they can maintain that through their growth phase and not turn lovely.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
drat they actually do publish a ton of these types of games. i've only played a few of them though. what are the standouts? I've mostly played against the storm

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Frustratingly, I ran into the same wall, and it's unclear if there's a way to really handle it. Sorry that computronium isn't good enough for you, but you should still be able to build more than 3 data centers before you have to resort to ripping people's brains out of their skulls like a low rent version of Eclipse Phase

I think the spiders may have been replaced with the bees, because I have a "hit em with the bees!" option instead.

When you build the genetics lab, is there a way forward towards using it? It would be nice if you could run into that nice geneticist again who seemed to be pretty down with your existence.

There's a decision you have to make at the Geothermal Plant investigation, and I'm wondering if the repercussions for choosing one specific way is that I'm not able to progress in a less murdery way.

Yeah i wanna replay the demo to see what that option gives me

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I’d Heart of the Machine randomly generated in any way or is it the same every time? People in the thread seem to be talking about the same events a lot like they’re guaranteed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The city layout is procedural, the first two chapters are a big tutorial so it's definitely laid out. there's several choice picks and outcomes though so thats why I'm interested in replaying.

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023

Synthbuttrange posted:

The city layout is procedural, the first two chapters are a big tutorial so it's definitely laid out. there's several choice picks and outcomes though so thats why I'm interested in replaying.

The dev has written at length about what the plans for the chapter 2 structure are by the way if anyone is interested : https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=HotM:Tree_Structure_Of_Chapter_Two

Volmarias posted:

Spiders are still in the demo but mutually exclusive with bees

teo4512 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 14, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2001070/discussions/0/4331980330825440975/

Ah looks like there was just not enough time to put a non-bad route in the demo, but indicates that there probably will be a way for the full game. Fingers crossed its smooth sailing for the dev.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Can you share this interview? I’d like to read it!

I don’t know much about Hooded Horse, they only became a name to me when they picked up Workers which I obviously follow the news on closely. Then I noticed they were already publishing a bunch of other games I liked and I already owned like, 3/4 of their library. They seem cool, and I hope they can maintain that through their growth phase and not turn lovely.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/hooded-horse-co-founder-says-publishers-should-ditch-horrible-recoup-clauses-to-help-devs

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Satisfactory changes coming in 1.0. release date unknown at this time

https://youtu.be/fkzumQ1A9Ms?si=3YJxPwXeWaBCVEL8

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Satisfactory changes coming in 1.0. release date unknown at this time

https://youtu.be/fkzumQ1A9Ms?si=3YJxPwXeWaBCVEL8

Nice, I've been waiting for this. Been wanting to try out their blueprinting stuff but wanted to hold off until 1.0.

I got the gold mug for finishing the tier4 space elevator a few patches ago. Not sure I'll do it again because the scale you have to build for some of the later stuff was kind of insane. I guess with blueprinting building the like 100 copper wire machines might be less of a complete chore.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Gave the IRONHIVE demo a try. Not bad! I like the visuals, the setting and the overall concept ("what if frostpunk but grungier and card-based"), but there's definitely some jank and balance issues to sort out. Could also do with a better tutorial. Can still provide a fun couple of hours as you try not to kill everyone in your base. As it stands I can't seem to get past the second season change, maybe y'all can do better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsLyGqFxNKk

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Frostpunk 2 is fixing my main gripe with the demo they released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_UtH9GMlr8

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Alkydere posted:

Though these days 2070 is a practical historical lesson on why too much DRM is bad.
Really? I thought the last patch from 2022 was supposed to remove that. Might have been steam-only, so no idea what happens to disk-based purchases, which were still a thing on Anno 2070's release.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Hey folks please identify what you are linking to. And also let us know if the video was created by yourself, thanks.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wipfmetz posted:

Really? I thought the last patch from 2022 was supposed to remove that. Might have been steam-only, so no idea what happens to disk-based purchases, which were still a thing on Anno 2070's release.

I remember I had to rebuy the game when I didn't have access to my physical edition, because the cd-key there was only for copy protection, it didn't activate the product in uplay.
So when I booted up uplay some time ahead of 2205's announcement or so I could see that I had saves, owned all the dlc, had a bunch of achievements, but somehow couldn't actually install the game from uplay because I didn't own it. :shuckyes:
At the time that just meant grabbing a greymarket key for 5 eur so that I could activate it and own it forever, but that was still so loving stupid.

I have no idea how the physical edition works nowadays, but I remember having a lot of annoying issues trying to authenticate it or the dlc when I tried reinstalling it over the years.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've seen a bunch of people talking about Heart Of The Machine, so I decided to try the demo.

I played it for a few minutes and god drat I despise this. I feel like it has the worst UX I've ever experienced in a game. I don't know what sort of game it is, what the mechanics even ARE never mind how they work, nothing. It wants you to do specific things and gently caress knows what it's trying to teach you, and then maybe the scripting broke? I was clicking through the stuff it was telling me to do and then there was just nothing to click on. It was like playing some hellish combination of a VN and a pixel hunt. I don't think I've ever understood interest in a game less.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

K8.0 posted:

I've seen a bunch of people talking about Heart Of The Machine, so I decided to try the demo.

I played it for a few minutes and god drat I despise this. I feel like it has the worst UX I've ever experienced in a game. I don't know what sort of game it is, what the mechanics even ARE never mind how they work, nothing. It wants you to do specific things and gently caress knows what it's trying to teach you, and then maybe the scripting broke? I was clicking through the stuff it was telling me to do and then there was just nothing to click on. It was like playing some hellish combination of a VN and a pixel hunt. I don't think I've ever understood interest in a game less.

First time with an Arcen game?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I can see folks here like SoFG which is cool, but does anyone know if there are any plans to make that game a bit more user friendly in terms of UI?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ironhive just appeared on my steam algorithm and it looks interesting, certainly has a checklist of hooks I'm interested in, just hesitant to purchase immediately

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lichtenstein posted:

First time with an Arcen game?

Ha, yeah those guys... wow. Often fantastic ideas, buried under the most utterly unusable - actively hostile - UIs and mechanical explanations I've ever come across.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It might be because I have already a shitload of hours put into games like Dwarf Fortress, but I don't think HotM UI is that bad. It is sometimes obscure, but it doesn't try to actively kill my soul, like, idk, Workers&Resources UI.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
For me it comes down to emotional investment sometimes, a demo for a game that had some praise may be a hard sell to get my investment to learn it when it’s being hostile.

Yet games like Dwarf fortress and Workers and Resources have rough almost hostile UI, but are also generational games that are so good I know that spending hours and hours to learn it will be worth it. So I don’t let it bother me as much.

(I also bounced of heart of the machine but if it gets rave review on release I will give it another go)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It was definitely unclear what to do at first, due to the lack of direction. After investigating the rebel, you want to use "Street smarts" to find a building with a robot and hack yourself into it. It gets a little more clear after that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Heart of the Machine has the best and most clear UI and tutorial of any Arcen game lmao

this is not a compliment, mind you, but if you think that's bad you have no idea how bad it can get.

AI War and the Last Federation are two of my favorite games of all time, and after playing the entire demo Heart of the Machine feels like it's taking all the best parts of those two games and putting them in a blender together and I am probably going to play it for 1000 hours, but it's still an Arcen game, it is going to look like completely loving incomprehensible nonsense gibberish until your brain breaks in just the right way and everything suddenly makes sense.

AI War and AI War 2 (can be safely lumped together since AI War 2 is so similar to the first game) are one of the most unique and compelling strategy experiences ever made, nothing quite like AI War has ever been made before or since and when everything comes together just right it's loving magical, and it is also a game so gleefully unfair and punishingly difficult that you can play it for 15 straight years and still lose 2/3 of your campaigns.

AI War is one of the only strategy games ever made about guerrilla conflict where the player's perspective is the guerrillas rather than the counterinsurgency. At game start the AI is so much more powerful than you that it could end the game instantly if it perceived you as a threat, effortlessly wipe out your pathetic little rebellion without it even having to commit a significant portion of its forces. You have to harass it without ever becoming annoying enough to provoke an escalation into full-scale war, striking where the enemy is weak, melting away where they are strong, using the minimum number of forces to accomplish your objective, focusing on specific concrete goals instead of just painting the map, and mastering the hit-and-fade, the feint, the misdirection play. The enemy you are fighting is no joke one of the best AIs I've ever encountered in any game of any genre, capable of fiendishly clever moves but more importantly it's also good enough to make realistic mistakes, good enough for a skilled player to fool, distract, outmaneuver. It is a masterpiece. It is also borderline unplayable.

Heart of the Machine is much more intuitive by comparison, although that is admittedly damning with faint praise.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 17, 2024

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ms Adequate posted:

Ha, yeah those guys... wow. Often fantastic ideas, buried under the most utterly unusable - actively hostile - UIs and mechanical explanations I've ever come across.

good news, these things are canon in heart of the machine

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

AI War praise

I love AI War and AI War 2, though I've only got 10 hours playtime... That's on the first game. For the sequel, I have 4 minutes.

Please could you tell me how I can get into this game? The tutorial is a hassle and melts my brain, but I really want to fall in love with the game. Is there a Let's Play series you recommend or a Youtube tutorial series?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Qubee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8cNlze3fGQj1SaZWDqcVck_RtM7_t-ui

Watch on 2x speed. He's decent at explaining, though I don't agree with his advice of capturing as many transport ships as possible (as you gotta capture the sector to claim them which pointlessly raises AI Awareness).
I don't know how out of date this is but it's what got me through winning my first time booting up an AI war 2 run at a relatively low difficulty level with no expansions.

The TLDR is it is easy to represent it as a resource opportunity cost board game or run based card game that just happens to have RTS and tower defense battles.

Funnily enough you posted it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

I don't know how out of date this is but it's what got me through winning my first time booting up an AI war 2 run at a relatively low difficulty level with no expansions.

The TLDR is it is easy to represent it as a resource opportunity cost board game or run based card game that just happens to have RTS and tower defense battles.

Funnily enough you posted it.

This is crazy, my old self has responded to my self to answer the question I had. I completely forgot this happened. Thanks to you and me, I guess?

Steam shows AI War 2 as having 4 minutes of playtime?!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Qubee posted:

This is crazy, my old self has responded to my self to answer the question I had. I completely forgot this happened. Thanks to you and me, I guess?

Steam shows AI War 2 as having 4 minutes of playtime?!

From the AI's point of view, yes, this is accurate.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Life by you is... Life no more?

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/si...-paradoxs-part/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Being paradox, I assume that half of the things for your character were blocked by "TBD: DLC?" placeholders

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lessons learned from forcing Cities:Skylines 2 out the door instead of canceling it years ago.

It's not a complicated story really, Paradox went publicly-traded and immediately went straight into the shitter. It won't exist in 10 years, maybe not in 5 years, it'll be bought out by EA or Activision or whatever which will then gleefully force you to use their malware to play CK3 and Cities:Skylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve spent way too much on Stellaris dlc for them to go belly up now.