Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

I think the divorced ex wife coworker shenanigans felt like a sitcom bit 20 years too late and I'm not sure who is meant to relate to it anyway. I know divorced people and there's not really stereotypical relationship I find between them and their exes, just aren't universal enough experiences.

They demonstrated their relationship ending was about way more than the cheating, but the changes they made to that situation for a troubling Betazed parody change that pivotal event into something... Darker and even less relatable since now there's alien poo poo and what can only appear to be crimes going on.

They wanted the captain to be a divorced guy in a way that wasn't his fault. (Except for neglecting his relationship.) And then he gets stuck on a ship with his ex-wife, isn't that wacky? And she doesn't get to be mad at him or mean to him because it's all her fault.

But then later they didn't want Kelly to be guilty of this "unforgivable" thing that would make some people dislike her. So instead of being a flawed but ultimately heroic character, they retroactively space roofied her so she's just perfect in every way.

Except now there is an entire species of sex criminals everyone seems fine with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Did you watch Stargate Universe? they have body swapping stones in their sex crimes that no one in show comments on. There's far more problematic stuff in scifi.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah they tried to have it both ways by having Rob Lowe be completely oblivious that his species had this affect on people even though they've been in space for a long time. He just thought everybody really liked him and he sincerely apologizes for any misunderstanding!!

But like it does not make any sense. It doesn't hold up.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I definitely prefer the less straight up serious first two seasons and I think that episode is sort of a victim of trying to combine light and funny plots with more serious sci-fi stuff. Ed competing with Kelly for Darulio is funny but then the explanation torpedoes all the plot related to their relationship and makes Darulio an accidental space rapist.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Having it be a first encounter with the species this later found out and he goes there to apologize might have been a better setup then.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TuxedoOrca posted:

The Orville living up to Star Trek by having that one episode we all pretend didn't happen.

Out of all three seasons, Astrology Planet is the only episode I consider flat-out bad. Social Media Planet and Rapey Smurf both had gaping plot holes, but I'm willing to forgive them for being generally awesome.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gynovore posted:

Out of all three seasons, Astrology Planet is the only episode I consider flat-out bad. Social Media Planet and Rapey Smurf both had gaping plot holes, but I'm willing to forgive them for being generally awesome.

I thought Astrology Planet was fine as a setup, but the solution was dumb, and so was the fact that they couldn't rescue their people. Like, gently caress em who cares if you gently caress up diplomatic relations, they sure as poo poo aren't ready to join the Union. What are they gonna do about it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

swickles posted:

I thought Astrology Planet was fine as a setup, but the solution was dumb, and so was the fact that they couldn't rescue their people. Like, gently caress em who cares if you gently caress up diplomatic relations, they sure as poo poo aren't ready to join the Union. What are they gonna do about it?

The point is to not be that violent and be capable of coming up with a solution that involves clever thinking rather than overwhelming force against an underdeveloped society.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point is to not be that violent and be capable of coming up with a solution that involves clever thinking rather than overwhelming force against an underdeveloped society.

They were there for 3 months and the society said "nope, they are in jail for the rest of their lives" with absolutely no headway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

swickles posted:

If it was Stargate SG-1 Jack would have blown up their alien capitol with C4 on the way out from rescuing Sam and Teal'c

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If it was Stargate SG-1 Jack would have blown up their alien capitol with C4 on the way out from rescuing Sam and Teal'c

Stargate Atlantis actually has an episode like this, where prisoners were sacrifices to keep the Wraith away (and ever-increasingly petty charges getting trumped up to "Wraith Meal" to keep the Wraith happy), and it ends with a giant middle finger of the prisoners going free through the Stargate thanks to the main characters and Wraith ships coming into feed on the city as their regular meals are no longer available.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

holefoods posted:

I definitely prefer the less straight up serious first two seasons and I think that episode is sort of a victim of trying to combine light and funny plots with more serious sci-fi stuff. Ed competing with Kelly for Darulio is funny but then the explanation torpedoes all the plot related to their relationship and makes Darulio an accidental space rapist.

No accident, when interrogated he explains that he is in heat and knows that his hormones are making Ed and Kelly have sex with him.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Speaking of terrible ideas, Charly in season 3.

Just like, all of it. New character everyone! With a lame superpower that we suddenly need in every episode! Using our ship-sized supercomputer for simulating geological movements during ages? Or maybe we could have the walking, talking, superior artificial lifeform do it? No, we have a human for that. (This was when I gave up on the season's treatment of Charly getting better)

Also did you know that bullying your coworker into suicide is perfectly fine in the Union? Well, now you know.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stargate Atlantis actually has an episode like this, where prisoners were sacrifices to keep the Wraith away (and ever-increasingly petty charges getting trumped up to "Wraith Meal" to keep the Wraith happy), and it ends with a giant middle finger of the prisoners going free through the Stargate thanks to the main characters and Wraith ships coming into feed on the city as their regular meals are no longer available.

hang on do I need to watch all that Stargate gak

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Your spare time is yours to use as you wish

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

SG1 is really good, atlantis is pretty drat good, universe is 2 seasons.
Orville is like Trek with a Stargate tone.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TheScott2K posted:

It's all streaming on Amazon Prime. Skip the episode Emancipation.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I had always for some reason thought of Stargate as like a Hercules/Xena-tier show, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I did watch it, it's legit.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Winifred Madgers posted:

I had always for some reason thought of Stargate as like a Hercules/Xena-tier show, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I did watch it, it's legit.

huh, that was always kind of my impression too, tbh

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

huh, that was always kind of my impression too, tbh

Yeah well a lot of people think Orville is family guy in space. Most Scifi is often completely different from what people think it is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pixaal posted:

Yeah well a lot of people think Orville is family guy in space. Most Scifi is often completely different from what people think it is.

When I was a kid the SG1 previews on TV made it look low-budget and cheesy, no need to get defensive

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When I was a kid the SG1 previews on TV made it look low-budget and cheesy, no need to get defensive

sorry that's not how I wanted it read, I was trying to show a parallel to this show to encourage more people to enjoy it because it's a good show and I like when people enjoy it, much like this thread likes when someone does a first watch post along.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

no worries. believe me I get that wall too, my a/v is after all from "Rick & Morty but it's Star Trek" :smith:

but yeah based on the last half page of posts SG is on the "maybe I overlooked" list, I'll have to check it out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xarn posted:

Speaking of terrible ideas, Charly in season 3.

Just like, all of it. New character everyone! With a lame superpower that we suddenly need in every episode! Using our ship-sized supercomputer for simulating geological movements during ages? Or maybe we could have the walking, talking, superior artificial lifeform do it? No, we have a human for that. (This was when I gave up on the season's treatment of Charly getting better)

Also did you know that bullying your coworker into suicide is perfectly fine in the Union? Well, now you know.

If you look at her appearances across the season, my theory is still her deliberately-one-season role was just to give her a demo reel for other gigs. See her do drama! Sing! Emote with various ranges! Have a big show on her IMDB credentials!

Hire today!

Signed;

Her partner, Seth McFarlane.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In a lot of ways, Stargate gave us the Enterprise series that Star Trek didn't. Humans go from bumbling around the galaxy by lucking into how to work ancient tech to an interstellar force with their own ships and everything forging complex alliances.

The villains are over the top cartoonish villains but there's a purpose to that since they are playing the role of vengeful capricious gods to keep their populations in line.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

no worries. believe me I get that wall too, my a/v is after all from "Rick & Morty but it's Star Trek" :smith:

but yeah based on the last half page of posts SG is on the "maybe I overlooked" list, I'll have to check it out

I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for much, but Teal'c and Jack interacting is mostly comedy gold. Also you get an episode with a very spoopy thriller about Teal'c.

What I am telling you is that Stargate is fantastic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's also... dated. The first or second episode has Jack Stargate talking about the mission, and he's like "I'm not gonna be in charge?? What man could possibly do a better job??" and of course lol it's a woman! tried to watch it about five years back and it just never grabbed me, too much old 90s jank imo.

The scene where the scientist's parents keep getting crushed to death under papier mache boulders and he keeps having to relive it over and over like "mom, dad, please, get out from under the boulders!" and they're just like "leave us alone son, we like it here" and then lmao the obviously-lightweight rocks come down on their heads

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I started watching Stargate last month and I am up to episode 100 as of yesterday. I really enjoying it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phenotype posted:

It's also... dated. The first or second episode has Jack Stargate talking about the mission, and he's like "I'm not gonna be in charge?? What man could possibly do a better job??" and of course lol it's a woman! tried to watch it about five years back and it just never grabbed me, too much old 90s jank imo.

That's exclusively in the pilot, and even Amanda Tapping in a behind-the-scenes interview said it was a lovely way to write a character that they fixed immediately afterwards.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Further, it has a payoff.

Way, way, way way way way way way down the line.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Phenotype posted:

The scene where the scientist's parents keep getting crushed to death under papier mache boulders and he keeps having to relive it over and over like "mom, dad, please, get out from under the boulders!" and they're just like "leave us alone son, we like it here" and then lmao the obviously-lightweight rocks come down on their heads

Aside from the really weird introduction scene, they play Sam straight and she is portrayed as a hero. It's Daniel that has to over-come Spader.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also broadly-speaking, what makes Stargate really good is there isn't a lot of "technology of the week, just for the week" like in, say, Star Trek Voyager (a big offender). If you see prototype tech turn up, it'll continue to get developed, mass-produced and integrated into their equipment and general knowledge over time, and it's really neat seeing them go from season 1 where they have zero knowledge of Goauld technology or vehicles to having PDA's that'll do most of the work for them, and they know how literally all Goauld technology works. And then get a good grasp on Ancient technology just because they keep tripping over so many experiments and devices left behind.

And then start building their own stuff that's even better, and it's entirely justified from learning how the Goauld technology works. The only tech that isn't theirs is still justified because it's an gift for saving one of their allies asses so many times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's also important to remember that the first half of SG-1 was on Showtime. Which is why there's a few weird sex episodes in the first two seasons before they were able to convince the higher ups that they really shouldn't be doing that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kurieg posted:

It's also important to remember that the first half of SG-1 was on Showtime. Which is why there's a few weird sex episodes in the first two seasons before they were able to convince the higher ups that they really shouldn't be doing that.

A tone that is not repeated until Stargate Universe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only episode of sg1 that always leaps to mind with "aged poorly" was the one where Jack's memories end up in a teen body and he's unleashed upon high school girls at the end. The final line of the episode being (iirc) "go, play" doesn't help.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interestingly enough, that actor also plays the kid in Star Trek: Insurrection and teaches Data how to "play."

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you look at her appearances across the season, my theory is still her deliberately-one-season role was just to give her a demo reel for other gigs. See her do drama! Sing! Emote with various ranges! Have a big show on her IMDB credentials!

Hire today!

Signed;

Her partner, Seth McFarlane.

I know this was the rumour at the time, but was them dating actually ever confirmed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurieg posted:

They still didn't do nudity apart from the pilot so there's this one hilarious scene to me where this evil goddess character is seducing someone and she has this skimpy bikini top on and she slowly unclasps it and then rips it open to reveal a slightly skimpier bikini top that's not even as flattering as the first one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xarn posted:

I know this was the rumour at the time, but was them dating actually ever confirmed?

I didn't think it was. They were photographed at a hockey game together and having lunch together. Things that could be dates but weren't particularly in a romantic context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is actual full frontal nudity in the pilot. Most subsequent distributions have it edited out to some or full degree. I was kinda shocked when I first watched the DVDs.