Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Eeyo posted:

siri should sound like a valley girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
sry for the lovely snipe

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:justpost:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i just know there's people at apple and goog pushing super hard internally for their siri ang google assistant voices to 'sound hotter'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

Eeyo posted:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i use female australian siri, because when i was testing the voices out by manipulating them into saying “buttholes” that voice sounded the most cheerful about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

you can use the accented siri voices for tts on ios. i use the female irish one lol, it's pretty good

yeah i wish android had an irish voice. it's the nicest sounding english accent.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

although as noted earlier itt, who doesn't like a hot girl with a good accent

me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

well-read undead posted:

i use female australian siri, because when i was testing the voices out by manipulating them into saying “buttholes” that voice sounded the most cheerful about it

:hmmyes:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

husband uses australian male because the other accents butcher nz place names like say petone/maungaraki/paekakariki/paraparaumu

i leave it on silent because it's really distracting and id rather just glance at the carplay screen occasionally

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

like, oh my god! totally turn left in 300 metres by the shoe store that had that like really amazing deal on those heels like four months ago! for sure, you just like totally missed it!

mystes
May 31, 2006

As an android user I am using the purple voice for assistant/maps

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

like, oh my god! totally turn left in 300 metres by the shoe store that had that like really amazing deal on those heels like four months ago! for sure, you just like totally missed it!

https://youtu.be/U5_HhqcbF_0?si=BcyvnA2LVIx9ABKn

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

has anyone else noticed that websites are just straight up breaking more often recently? like actual websites you want to use like banking, insurance, etc

yes

my personal opinion is that its because govt and banking and all other such services want to move to the "tech" age with modern web design and apps, but they do not want to pay for the development and maintenance of the shitpile of constantly breaking microservices that is the modern web stack. and nobody is making things simple and resilient these days because why would you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i articulated a theory that disney is imploding over a couple pages in the cjs thread a few days ago, but lol now they're apparently trying to sell ABC

it might take a while but disney as we know it today is finished, donezo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

didnt old dedicated GPS units have aftermarket funny voices for poo poo like this? bring that back

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

didnt old dedicated GPS units have aftermarket funny voices for poo poo like this? bring that back

yes, around like 2008 i had darth vader on my gps

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

yes

my personal opinion is that its because govt and banking and all other such services want to move to the "tech" age with modern web design and apps, but they do not want to pay for the development and maintenance of the shitpile of constantly breaking microservices that is the modern web stack. and nobody is making things simple and resilient these days because why would you

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/mickens/files/towashitallaway.pdf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

yes, around like 2008 i had darth vader on my gps

i have altered the route, pray i do not alter it further.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ETA 12 parsecs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
[presses the start journey button] "punch it chewie"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
tow a poo poo all away.pdf :hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In late 2010, following the DVD release, Daria was licensed as a voice for Garmin and TomTom GPS systems; original putdowns and jokes were recorded.[49]

bring it back you cowards

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
per https://web.archive.org/web/20101122111416/http://www.navtones.com/products/tomtom/ there were also gps voices from: kitt, dennis hopper, burt reynolds, kim cattrall, gary busey, and david hasselhoff

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i have altered the route, pray i do not alter it further.
waypoint missed. you must un-turn what you have turned.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would pay real live dollars for a gilbert gottfried siri voice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gottfried is dead dude

theres prolly enough label data for a nn imitation but come on

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

i would pay real live dollars for a gilbert gottfried siri voice

a streamer I sometimes watch has clips of gottfried doing lines from darkest dungeon that someone got him via a cameo and he uses them for donation alerts lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
company i work for submitted a bid in july to provide some services to a home builder starting in january. they just sent one of our people to a training where they're rolling out a new scheduling/payment system using a third party vendor that all their suppliers must now use.

there is a $100 monthly fee billed to every supplier to keep them active in the system and a $1/transaction fee for every purchase order processed. can't imagine what was going on in the empty skull of the suit who thought that making the jobs of their accounts payable people slightly easier was not going to result in all ~30-50 contractors on a jobsite padding their bids by an extra $1500/yr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gottfried is dead dude

doesn't matter, peep

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just wanted to say I read it all and appreciate links to mickens’ essays. I would purchase a bound collection.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i had john cleese on my tom tom

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quiggy posted:

a streamer I sometimes watch has clips of gottfried doing lines from darkest dungeon that someone got him via a cameo and he uses them for donation alerts lol

lol this owns

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
should listen to mickens's talks if you havent. true comedian's timing, delivery as good in person

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think I’ve listened to one before and was in stitches. Having that one to read really helped me out, though, since I’ve been having CSS problems all day. (Can’t Stop making GBS threads)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Progressive JPEG posted:

husband uses australian male because the other accents butcher nz place names like say petone/maungaraki/paekakariki/paraparaumu

i leave it on silent because it's really distracting and id rather just glance at the carplay screen occasionally

i also find tts really distracting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i had john cleese on my tom tom

i used that one too for a bit

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have never enabled siri or voice assistance on any of my device. no computer is allowed to talk to me. A keyboard and button clicks is as personal as our relationship is allowed to be.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I get particularly frustrated when calling customer service and they have me speak to some voice recognition software because they’re forcing me to talk to a computer I have no intention to talk to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had to enable Siri to get the voicemail transcription thing to work, but have never used Siri as the voice activated whatever