Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yah Danny admitted in an interview that Gibbs was the only one to body him on Old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

Danny Brown just announced some Florida dates for December. :dance: He's loving awesome live, right?

Yes, and I attended one of the "worst" shows according to his opener at the time. He puts on a fantastic show.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

This is weird it says "Produced by FlyLife Beatz (@iAmFlyLife)" but I know for sure that the music for this track comes directly from some electronic album. I can't remember which one it is though, but its definitely not original (although it has been slightly changed and a rap beat's been put in).

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Play posted:

This is weird it says "Produced by FlyLife Beatz (@iAmFlyLife)" but I know for sure that the music for this track comes directly from some electronic album. I can't remember which one it is though, but its definitely not original (although it has been slightly changed and a rap beat's been put in).

so it's a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-A1NyhwoiU

not much difference from Geto Boys vs Isaac Hayes.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 15, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Mannie Fresh posted:

Yes, and I attended one of the "worst" shows according to his opener at the time. He puts on a fantastic show.

I saw him gently caress a show up on the top of a Uniqlo truck in the middle of the street in Gansevoort Plaza back in March, had to help him down off the truck cuz he almost smashed his balls on a trailer hitch lol, he led a haphazard crowd chase up the street ala "running of the bulls". He paused, jukes a few times and cackled like a maniac before running off, nearly caused a loving riot.

thathonkey posted:

Love Return but danny's verse just kinda pales in comparison to gibb's. Still, it's one of my fave songs from this year too.

Agreed although Danny's poo poo isn't bad by any means, it's just hard to out-gangster the Gibbs at any time haha.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yah Danny admitted in an interview that Gibbs was the only one to body him on Old

I wouldn't say BODIED but A$AP came especially hard on Kush Koma, Gibbs does especially murder that verse, even for him...

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

THNDRTHF posted:

I saw him gently caress a show up on the top of a Uniqlo truck in the middle of the street in Gansevoort Plaza back in March, had to help him down off the truck cuz he almost smashed his balls on a trailer hitch lol, he led a haphazard crowd chase up the street ala "running of the bulls". He paused, jukes a few times and cackled like a maniac before running off, nearly caused a loving riot.

Jit not juke

Sheefy McFly(produced for Danny Brown, Boldy James) has an album release party tonight, I guess he's putting out a ghettotech album. Super cool, I've been hoping for a ghettotech revival.

Party's at Nathan's Deli on Jefferson

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Hi NMD rap thread. Thanks for the informative thread so far! I'm trying to broaden my tastes a bit, being something of a musical philistine I never really gave too much thought to music other than 'this sounds nice' until recently, so it's been eye opening to start noticing musical influences everywhere. One of my favourite bands is Arcade Fire, and after reading about the hip hop influences they have used for their new album Reflektor I've been intrigued by rap, hip hop and their importance as a movement in music. Where would you recommend as a good starting point to learn more about the history of it, and who are some good current or new names to listen to,to get a feel for the current scene?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Hello. Your earnest post might have you eaten alive.

But, if you want to dip your toes into rap, try A Tribe Called Quest's first two records. Then Madvillain's only full-length. Then try Company Flow's record. Then The GZA's Liquid Swords. Then Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique. Then Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid M.A.A.D city.

This is my order of rap for you. None of it really sounds like the new Arcade Fire record, except they try to hit a groove and work off similar rhythms. A lot of those records are just as sparse as and low key as Reflektor, also.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Listen to Aquemini.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Deadly Diapers posted:

Hi NMD rap thread. Thanks for the informative thread so far! I'm trying to broaden my tastes a bit, being something of a musical philistine I never really gave too much thought to music other than 'this sounds nice' until recently, so it's been eye opening to start noticing musical influences everywhere. One of my favourite bands is Arcade Fire, and after reading about the hip hop influences they have used for their new album Reflektor I've been intrigued by rap, hip hop and their importance as a movement in music. Where would you recommend as a good starting point to learn more about the history of it, and who are some good current or new names to listen to,to get a feel for the current scene?

I would definitely recommend Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

HorseRenoir posted:

I would definitely recommend Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

:sigh:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Deadly Diapers posted:

Make this the thread title somehow

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you want to check out more hip hop akin to Arcade Fire's Reflektor, might I suggest Daft Punk's new album Random Access Memories?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Thank you everyone for your suggestions :) I will definitely check those out, I have a long coach trip this weeekend so I will queue up some tracks and take it all in.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Listen to Gucci Mane and only Gucci Mane

it is how I became such a powerful and influential poster and music aficionado

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 16, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Gucci Mane is the truth.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Deadly Diapers posted:

who are some good current or new names to listen to,to get a feel for the current scene?

basically 2 key figures -

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's levels to that post.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadly Diapers posted:

Listen to the 1st 4 outkast albums

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

RBX posted:

It's levels to that post.

Considering the first guy is Hopsin, should I take it as a good thing that I can't identify the second guy?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Previous Jesus posted:

Considering the first guy is Hopsin, should I take it as a good thing that I can't identify the second guy?

If you want to disrespect royalty, that's the King of New York, son

It's Papoose

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHGFtaOXEo

tity the god

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Previous Jesus posted:

Listen to Aquemini.

Truth

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

My friend was going through my iTunes a few days back and couldn't figure out why I had "so much music from this one rapper".

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I had to triple check to make sure I was seeing correctly.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress Gucci Man.

For some classic southern rap (other than the previously mentioned Outkast) check out anything UGK, 8Ball & MJG, Get Ya Mind Correct, and especially TI's and Jeezy's first albums.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

RBX posted:

I had to triple check to make sure I was seeing correctly.

such a paltry amount of gucci :colbert:

e: wait holy poo poo thats just 09

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 16, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

John Brown posted:

gently caress Gucci Man.

Hate to break it to you but Gucci Mane is also an important southern artist in his own right

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

John Brown posted:

gently caress Gucci Man.

For some classic southern rap (other than the previously mentioned Outkast) check out anything UGK, 8Ball & MJG, Get Ya Mind Correct, and especially TI's and Jeezy's first albums.

No thanks grandpa

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

:whatup: I've got almost twice as much of Lil B stuff

Also reposting http://diskography.tumblr.com/ because maybe you want the entire Curren$y or Waka or Jeezy mixtape collection?
That's where I got most of my Gucci too, although those links have probably 404-d by now.

Speaking of Curren$y, suggestions for the best mixtapes? Already got New Jet City (great) and Priest Andretti (p. good)

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Angryhead posted:

Speaking of Curren$y, suggestions for the best mixtapes? Already got New Jet City (great) and Priest Andretti (p. good)

all of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vJfnqERuk

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 16, 2013

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Angryhead posted:

Also reposting http://diskography.tumblr.com/ because maybe you want the entire Curren$y or Waka or Jeezy mixtape collection?
That's where I got most of my Gucci too, although those links have probably 404-d by now.

This is awesome, thanks for the link..

These old G-Unit Radio volumes are too good, I used to have hundreds of songs from everyone in the G-Unit camp. Very sentimental poo poo

For Curreen$y I'd definitely check out Cigarette Boats, Verde Terrace, The Pilot Talks, Covert Coup. I also really like Weekend At Burnie's and Muscle Car Chronicles even though they have different feels than his other work.

Just listen to TenaciousTomato and get them all

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 16, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
While we're on the subject of mixtapes and his are all on that tumblr ... where to begin with Danny Brown's? I've only listened to XXX and Old so far from him but very much enjoyed both.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

thathonkey posted:

While we're on the subject of mixtapes ... where to begin with Danny Brown's tapes? I've only listened to XXX and Old so far from him but very much enjoyed both.

all of them. but start with Detroit State of Mind volumes 1 through 4

love when yall make me revisit curren$y and d brown tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBOvFStwNo

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 16, 2013

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
So I'm listening to G-Unit's Terminate on Sight from 2008 for the first time for some reason and...it's pretty good? Like it's typical G-Unit stuff but there are some pretty awesome tracks on there (Piano Man). Their first album was pretty good from what I remember too.

Mostly I just miss Young Buck

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TenaciousTomato posted:

all of them. but start with Detroit State of Mind volumes 1 through 4

poo poo is great so far, thanks man. always wanted to hear someone with skills spit over some Donuts beats (Detroit State of Mind 2).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

thathonkey posted:

poo poo is great so far, thanks man. always wanted to hear someone with skills spit over some Donuts beats (Detroit State of Mind 2).

The tracks I've heard from Hawaiian Snow, the tape he and Yayo did, were pretty good as well.

And I have around 633 tracks for Gucci, but he's the 2nd most listened to artist in my Last.fm charts behind Jeezy. Jeezy used to have a HUGE lead on everyone, but then I heard the truth aka Gucci Mane LaFlare.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

So I'm listening to G-Unit's Terminate on Sight from 2008 for the first time for some reason and...it's pretty good? Like it's typical G-Unit stuff but there are some pretty awesome tracks on there (Piano Man). Their first album was pretty good from what I remember too.

Mostly I just miss Young Buck

Beg For Mercy was a goddamned classic. The beat quality of G-Unit noticeably declines after Buck leaves.

(NY sucks at picking beats)

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Young Buck just got out of prison at the beginning of October. Man, his life has sucked since he stopped working with them.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 16, 2013

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Buck's verse on My Buddy from Beg For Mercy is god drat amazing, the dude generally put out some quality music

I'm glad we can agree G-Unit owned pre-Buck drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Really digging on MM FOOD right now, Guinesses beat is so good to me. Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh, so smooth.

Also, just saw on Twitter that Danny Brown has some meal thing with Adidas right now and I realised that if Adidas did a sneaker collab with Danny that the money would be out of my pocket before I saw the shoe. It could look utter poo poo, like all the Jeremy Scott collab stuff, but I would still buy and rock 'em.

• Locked thread