Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm waiting for someone to re-do the lyrics of Dreamweaver to Dean Demon. True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

McSpanky posted:

The thing with Dean is, though, on some level his macho-man string 'em high :clint: bravado is a coping mechanism, it's how he deals with wading waist-high through the gore and grief and dead friends of a hunter's life. Sure he's hardened by it, especially compared to hug-box Sam and his therapy dogs, but when something truly pushes him to the edge of the abyss (like say, being dragged to Hell or turned into a vampire or afflicted with unquenchable murderlust) Dean still clings to his humanity. He might be a terribly broken person after everything he's been through, but he still wants to be a person -- "This is turning me into something I do not want to become."

There's gonna be hella angst to tap from Demon Dean.

Yeah but that should only hold true up until he actually becomes that thing. Now that he is a demon, he shouldn't care anymore and the macho-man farce should turn into reality.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Yeah but that should only hold true up until he actually becomes that thing. Now that he is a demon, he shouldn't care anymore and the macho-man farce should turn into reality.

Well, not necessarily. My understanding (which admittedly could be COMPLETELY and HILARIOUSLY wrong) is that most demons are "bad guys" and that's why the become demons. It's not like "oh I'm a demon now my personality changes." Dean should still be "Dean." Just a demon now.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Merlinicus posted:

Well, not necessarily. My understanding (which admittedly could be COMPLETELY and HILARIOUSLY wrong) is that most demons are "bad guys" and that's why the become demons. It's not like "oh I'm a demon now my personality changes." Dean should still be "Dean." Just a demon now.

Yeah, the problem is that most demons they run into are all typically simple-minded "bad guys", but they've also shown with Crowley that they have the ability to have a mind of their own.

I honestly don't remember, but Cain was just a normal human before all that poo poo happened to him, right? So there really is no difference between Dean and Cain (:O), and if Cain was able to stop killing because he swore it to his wife, there's no reason Dean couldn't either. Of course this was after a lifetime of being a servant to Hell, so who knows?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Officer Farva posted:

I honestly don't remember, but Cain was just a normal human before all that poo poo happened to him, right?
Not exactly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

McSpanky posted:

Let me rephrase that: I can't stand it when they have secrets that are clearly being mined for terrible maudlin wangst because the brothers never learn anything after nine years. When there's a good plot-driven reason to keep a secret, great. When the only reason nobody spills is "we haven't met the 19-episode quota of choked-back tears and hard stares across the hood of the Impala" it's just aggravating.

This has gotten so bad over the past few years I've watched it, that it's pretty much eclipsed all other cool aspects of the show.

The finale just cemented that the poo poo will never go away, and we're in for another unbearable year of which brother is hiding a secret from the other, who doesn't trust who for reasons.

mcswizzle posted:

I was going to say that for better or worse, it's a mainstay. If you're waiting for a season where ~angst~ isn't the third brother I think it's time you get off the train.

Gettin' off that train. This show doesn't have enough positive to counter all that dumb poo poo.

edit: Also you might as well add Cas to the brother list because he's in that angst circle as well, and is draining all the cool aspects of him away as well.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Doctor Butts posted:

The finale just cemented that the poo poo will never go away, and we're in for another unbearable year of which brother is hiding a secret from the other, who doesn't trust who for reasons.

While I think this is most likely, the show will earn a LOT of good will from me if the first thing that happens next season is Cas FREAKING OUT over Dean's new, erm, condition.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If Dean being a demon means that the dumbass tumblr fantasy of Castiel and Dean becoming a couple :rolleyes: is even less likely to happen, I'm all for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mad Dragon posted:

If Dean being a demon means that the dumbass tumblr fantasy of Castiel and Dean becoming a couple :rolleyes: is even less likely to happen, I'm all for it.

You should know by now that nothing stops them.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

You should know by now that nothing stops them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8gd6UICx4

I miss this.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

cool kids inc. posted:

While I think this is most likely, the show will earn a LOT of good will from me if the first thing that happens next season is Cas FREAKING OUT over Dean's new, erm, condition.

Cas won't even figure it out until halfway through the season.

I mean, he doesn't know it for sure, but he suspects something.

Just in time too: because the drama had subsided ever since Sam came to grips with it after a two minute heart to heart in the Impala about Deans demonyness.

I mean, he doesn't know it for sure, but he suspects something.

See, the thing is, Dean has assured Sam that there's nothing wrong with him and can control it. What Dean doesn't know is that the reason why Sam is seemingly able to accept his new condition is because Sam has hatched a plan with Cas to remove the demony parts.

I mean, he doesn't know for sure, but he suspects something.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't expect Dean to still be around at the start of the season. There's literally no point in Crowley having Dean "undercover" with Sam and Cas. Crowley is craving companionship and wants to play with his new 'enforcer.' Dean is going to help Crowley make hell fall back in line after Abaddon's defeat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bull3964 posted:

I don't expect Dean to still be around at the start of the season. There's literally no point in Crowley having Dean "undercover" with Sam and Cas. Crowley is craving companionship and wants to play with his new 'enforcer.' Dean is going to help Crowley make hell fall back in line after Abaddon's defeat.

I assume that it will be Cas and Sam teamed up trying to save Dean, while Dean and Crowley and doing poo poo.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

I dunno dude, Cain's episode specifically spelled out that the ~power of love~ can break the control of the Mark. Get ready for a summer's worth of shippers excitedly filling in the blanks on that one.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Dean and Crowley spending half a season or more doing demon bro stuff is fine by me. Just think of all the pie.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Coulrophobia posted:

I dunno dude, Cain's episode specifically spelled out that the ~power of love~ can break the control of the Mark. Get ready for a summer's worth of shippers excitedly filling in the blanks on that one.

Sam's gonna get turned into a block of ice :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Writer Cath posted:

Sam's gonna get turned into a block of ice :smith:

Or a pillar of salt. :laugh:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Guys, what the hell happened to Sam's Lucifer hallucinations? It was a huge plot point but I just can't for the life of me remember how they resolved it. Or if they even did. Did they just drop it?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Guys, what the hell happened to Sam's Lucifer hallucinations? It was a huge plot point but I just can't for the life of me remember how they resolved it. Or if they even did. Did they just drop it?

Castiel absorbed that plot point

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Cas 'absorbed' the damage Sam recieved in the cage and for a while he also saw Lucifer but it eventually wore off.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I would love that if one of the side effects of Dean's change is that he starts seeing Head Lucifer. Any reason to have more Mark Pellegrino will work for me, really.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I'm not going to lie, I'm going to be super pissed if the series ends with Adam still stuck in the cage with Lucifer and Michael. I know, he's probably all hosed up even worse than Sam was, but gently caress... what a lovely end to an otherwise innocent character.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Who is Adam?" - Supernatural writers. What I'm saying is be prepared for disappointment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't John still MIA in the afterlife too? And did Mary every get out from being under the control of rear end in a top hat aliens? The afterlife is even crueler to Winchesters then this world is.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't John still MIA in the afterlife too? And did Mary every get out from being under the control of rear end in a top hat aliens? The afterlife is even crueler to Winchesters then this world is.

What :psyduck:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Manos del Sino posted:

I would love that if one of the side effects of Dean's change is that he starts seeing Head Lucifer. Any reason to have more Mark Pellegrino will work for me, really.

Yellow Eyes was his boss when he was working in hell as a torturer, right? Gotta figure he was on the road to demonhood at that point, or even fully there. So old yeller'd be a good choice too. I wouldn't mind some more Fredric Lehne.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

XboxPants posted:

Yellow Eyes was his boss when he was working in hell as a torturer, right? Gotta figure he was on the road to demonhood at that point, or even fully there. So old yeller'd be a good choice too. I wouldn't mind some more Fredric Lehne.

Yellow Eyes was long dead by the time Dean went to Hell. His boss was Alastair.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Yellow Eyes was long dead by the time Dean went to Hell. His boss was Alastair.

Oh well that's even better.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
It's slow going watching Supernatural Babies. I'm only on episode 6 or 7 so I'll probably barely catch up over the summer at this rate. In one season 1 episode, they out a demon by using the "true name of god" and making it hiss in pain, which they haven't done since I started watching the later seasons. Then again they also try to actually exorcise the demon instead of just straight up murdering the host so inconsistency is the norm here.

It still seems like they've been inhaling helium when I watch a season 1 episode after a season 9 episode.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Mad Dragon posted:

Please, if anything its more likely to happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was really late. I think I must of misspelled "angels" badly touch typing and my ipad autocorrected. Or I'm just an idiot when I'm sleep deprived.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I know they're never going to bring this up, but it fits into their twisted mythology that just as Sam and Dean are descended from the line of Cain and Abel (I was disappointed there wasn't even a "Hi great-great-etc. grandpa!" joke in the episode where Cain is introduced) and bred to be the (near) perfect vessels both physically and spiritually for Lucifer and Michael, it's now Dean bearing the mark of original sin that set in motion however many thousands of years ago the pedigree, cultivated by angel and demon alike, which was supposed to enable the Apocalypse.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
IMDB tells me Crowley is 50 today. He really does not look it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rejutka posted:

Speaking of Crowley, if you want to see Mark Sheppard essentially play Crowley but as an insurance investigator you should look into Leverage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

rejutka posted:

I saw him in an early episode of X-files recently and he did look about 35, which would be right. He's been bald for a long time which makes it hard to age someone accurately.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

computer parts posted:

Speaking of Crowley, if you want to see Mark Sheppard essentially play Crowley but as an insurance investigator you should look into Leverage.

He's somehow a bigger dick in Leverage (but he's in far fewer episodes).

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

The Red Queen posted:

It's slow going watching Supernatural Babies. I'm only on episode 6 or 7 so I'll probably barely catch up over the summer at this rate. In one season 1 episode, they out a demon by using the "true name of god" and making it hiss in pain, which they haven't done since I started watching the later seasons. Then again they also try to actually exorcise the demon instead of just straight up murdering the host so inconsistency is the norm here.

It still seems like they've been inhaling helium when I watch a season 1 episode after a season 9 episode.

I believe the idea there is that demons ride their hosts hard and put them away wet, so they're often dead either way.

Plus I don't think they even had a way to kill a demon that far back?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the revelation that they could actually kill demons with the Colt or Ruby's knife were game changers for them.

The Winchesters were just very ignorant and inexperienced with demons early on when the show starts. That Season 1 episode and John revealing that a demon was behind their mom's murder were basically their first interactions with demons. And Bobby was kind of the authority on demons because he'd encountered a few and knew about Devil's Traps and exorcism spells.

Basically the way I've always seen it is that the entire hunter world is pretty ignorant before Season 3. Its said a couple of times that number of demon possessions were peaking over Season 1 and 2 and then when Azazel opens the door to Hell the world is flooded with them. Suddenly its a crash course for hunters on demons and the Winchesters are at the head of the class because of their experiences with Azazel, Meg, and Ruby.

Then a big part of the Winchester/Supernatural story is how hardened they become over time. In Season 1 they're genuinely shocked to realize there's a real "Meg" under the demon and upset that she dies. Its a big point of Season 4 that Sam rationalizes his power stuff because he can save the demonic hosts most of the time. They just get cold and ruthless as time goes on and they go through more poo poo. They rationalize killing hosts as acts of mercy or greater goods. They're probably right sometimes but there's also certainly a pile of victims they never really gave a chance because they were focused on the bigger picture.

In the end the Winchesters are soldiers in a war. And they've made an uncomfortable peace with collateral damage and acceptable losses.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

"What smells like crank and screams like a little girl?" *breaks kneecap*

Great show, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

computer parts posted:

Speaking of Crowley, if you want to see Mark Sheppard essentially play Crowley but as an <blank>, watch him in <other thing he's in>.

• Locked thread