Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

There is still no coldboot hack, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

night slime posted:

Does Brain Age VC go away after you use it for modding? I downloaded it but I don't see it anymore where it was. I want to get smart!!!

Yes, the contents of the DS game are replaced with haxchi

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

azurite posted:

One thing I was never clear on was: Does Atmosphere modify the firmware so you don't need RCM, or do you still need to use RCM to start CFW every time?

I have a feeling it's the latter.

It still works exactly the same as every other cfw, the only advantage Atmosphere has is that it blocks a lot of Switch telemetry reporting. Might make you less likely to get banned, nobody knows for sure

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ah alright. So if I'm already running ReiNX on a totally offline Switch, there's not much point to changing things up.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, just stick with what you've got.

They're working on emunand support which should let you switch on the fly between cfw and stock firmware and supposedly there's a possibility for coldboot in the future, but reinx will probably add that as soon as it's working

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've got an untouched 1.0 firmware switch I'm sitting on until coldboot comes out.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Really hope that's not your only switch, if it is then update without burning your fuses with Choidujour and downgrade when the exploit comes out

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nonviolent J posted:

Really hope that's not your only switch, if it is then update without burning your fuses with Choidujour and downgrade when the exploit comes out

It's not, I have another switch for playing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Finally, the perfect console.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Get some themes happening it's so good

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Any suggestions what to do with my new SXOS switch? I already did the choidujor update to get the exfat stuff and I have set my console to airplane mode since I don't plan on playing online what are some of the fun go to things?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Play backups/homebrew

exfat may corrupt your homebrew if you exit it with the home button, get the homebrew launcher nsp

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

run retroarch.

as stated above don't use exfat, just use fat32.

are there border themes for retroarch? the dead space is lame i'd love some borders like the snes classic had.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You will have to use Linux or find an SD card formatter to do FAT. Windows only does exfat now.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm will let you format large devices as FAT32 on Windows.

Microsoft deliberately prevents its official tools from doing so because they wanted people to switch to NTFS or somesuch.

Though I'm not 100% convinced those don't-use-exFat comments still apply. But I haven't done adequate research, so I won't outright deny them.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The "Don't use exFAT" applies for some stuff, like SD on Wii, or flash carts, but doesn't at about the Wii game juncture. For example: you need the SD as FAT, but don't for an external running WBFS.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The current sentiment is that if you run Switch RetroArch or maybe other homebrew from the Homebrew Channel, perhaps not from installed NSPs, on a card with exFat then the filesystem will become corrupted.

I'm not sure if that was superstition or based on old information that presumably has been fixed since then, but I hear it repeated a lot. It doesn't strike me as a situation which should exist for any appreciable period of time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Switch doesn't use a legitimate implementation of exfat, the same way it doesn't use a legitimate implementation of usb-c, and force-stopping a process that accesses the sd card can corrupt the filesystem. The most common way to access the homebrew launcher is to replace the gallery with it, which the switch just force quits when you exit.

If you've got the homebrew launcher as an nbs file that eliminates that problem, but homebrew stuff also tends to crash a lot.

Since Nintendo isn't likely to ever fix their exfat implementation, best to just go with fat32. If you want to pirate, there are filesplitters you can use to get around the 4gb limit

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 20, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If anyone is struggling with badly distorted audio in the Switch build of Retroarch try this:

Go to the config menu with the gears, choose "Driver." For "Audio Driver," choose "switch_thread."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you want to format a card to FAT and really don’t have any other way, go to Best Buy or an Apple Store or anywhere else that has a demo MacBook Air. I’m on the road with only iOS devices to my name, and discovered you can reformat removable storage to FAT in Disk Utility with the guest privileges on a demo machine. :v:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Can someone help me with a dolphin issue? I cant get the drat software to reconize my xbox one controller, every other software does just dolphin will not detect the gamepad even after a restart, reinstall everything.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is interesting:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmosphere-to-access-full-ram-with-homebrews-without-nsp.5212

Most homebrew setups replace the gallery app with the homebrew loader, but the photo gallery doesn't have access to the full ram capacity of the switch and therefore neither do any of the apps you launch through it. You can get around that by installing a custom-made .nsp and putting the homebrew loader or even the homebrew app right on your game list, but Nintendo will almost certainly ban you if you go online with that setup.

This lets you replace a legitimate eshop game instead of the photo gallery, so you can have full ram access without worrying about your console phoning home and telling Nintendo that you're playing retroarch. It should also help mitigate some of the exfat problems I mentioned in my last post

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do people not actually use the Photo app? Or can you chainload it in custom firmware?

It's by far my most used app.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do people not actually use the Photo app? Or can you chainload it in custom firmware?

It's by far my most used app.

You can chain load it by holding down R when launching it. A lot of people wouldn't though because you have to be online to use it and online paranoia.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I love having the homebrew menu as an nsp

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I have never even opened the photos app.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ColdPie posted:

I have never even opened the photos app.

why the hell aren't you sharing pro Mario Kart vids and hilarious screencaps

wtf

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Well if you're homebrewing you shouldnt be online to share

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
it was very useful in Breath of the Wild for that one shrine where the solution to the puzzle is in another shrine, so you just make a screenshot and saunter over and look at the solution in your home menu

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

why the hell aren't you sharing pro Mario Kart vids and hilarious screencaps

wtf

Because no one cares.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WilliamAnderson posted:

A lot of people wouldn't though because you have to be online to use it and online paranoia.
I think I get it now.

I mostly play exploratory platformers (Metroidvanias) and RPGs. In the past I used to take notes or draw/annotate maps (or find one online to print and annotate) to remember where to backtrack. With the Switch, I do most of that by capturing a screenshot of any "interesting" screen and my position in the in-game map to remember it, and delete the screenshots after I've finished. So my SD card is filled of screenshots of half-beaten games, but I've never shared anything.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

HenryEx posted:

it was very useful in Breath of the Wild for that one shrine where the solution to the puzzle is in another shrine, so you just make a screenshot and saunter over and look at the solution in your home menu

I just took a picture with the in-game camera and pulled it up in the in-game photo viewer. Seems simpler.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

I just took a picture with the in-game camera and pulled it up in the in-game photo viewer. Seems simpler.

IIRC that was about 5 gameplay hours before i got the camera function

i assumed "this is a nintendo launch title it's meant to demonstrate and make use of all console gimmicks so obvs i'm supposed to use the screenshot button on this here controller"

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Whats the most up to date guide to hack a switch? Im new to this and also want to auto crm it, Im worried about sticking a metal wire in my console every time I have to boot it up.
Edit: I'm also curious if anyone here has tried those Chinese rcm injectors that are being sold.

Victorian Gentleman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 24, 2018

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://reinx.guide covers everything you want and more

It's not worth buying an rcm injector unless you're on the bleeding edge of homebrew stuff that crashes a lot and you don't have an Android phone.

Incidentally, I am on the bleeding edge of homebrew stuff and I just had my switch crash while connected to Wi-Fi and got banned. They don't just ban you from Nintendo's servers either, I can't play Fortnite (fine with that) or Jackbox (gently caress you Nintendo) anymore

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Was it worth it?

I don't know, man. I don't know.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Is that an actual switch game or some other emulation shenanigans?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a homebrew port.

The Switch is a wild machine.

e: I've never been banned, but lmao that they remove your acess to the jackbox games, which are like the perfect switch games :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It's real dumb that I'm considering getting a second switch to homebrew it. Real loving dumb.

But I am considering it, because Nintendo sure as poo poo ain't gonna port Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones to the platform any time soon. Even if GBA ain't there yet, it will be pretty quick I think.