Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

His original pitch for his Nighthawk series was:

Which sounds like a hell of a hook but is not something I really think DC would lean into with a character named Batman even if it wasn't Bruce Wayne.

I want to read this so bad omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

yeah this is what i figured. not against a black batman, but i'd be more interested in a black writer's take on batman, rather than trotting out a character for publicity only for wayne to become batman again in a year or two. and i swear to god if bendis is the one behind this

What are you talking about, DC has never featured minority superheroes only to move them aside for more traditional white male heroes

*cracks open new issue of The Green Lantern starring the best Green Lantern Hal Jordan*

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least John's the JL on the Justice League for this series. I'm not sure Hal's even appeared since No Justice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is this the thread for Batman discussion? Just finished Morrison’s Omnibus vol 1 and wtf is a Zurr En Arr? It’s like Batman lost his mind, got a gaudy suit, has a Batman version of the Great Gazoo as a sidekick and is generally just an awesome psychopath. But it felt like pieces of the story were missing. Overall though a great read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batmite predates the Great Gazoo by six years.

Check out “The Super Batman of Planet X” episode of Batman: Brave and the Bold if you want to see what Zurr En Arrh’s Silver Age origins are about.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

chaosapiant posted:

Is this the thread for Batman discussion? Just finished Morrison’s Omnibus vol 1 and wtf is a Zurr En Arr? It’s like Batman lost his mind, got a gaudy suit, has a Batman version of the Great Gazoo as a sidekick and is generally just an awesome psychopath. But it felt like pieces of the story were missing. Overall though a great read.

There's a Batman thread still, I think.

Super-short context for the story: remember a scene where Bruce, in Nanda Parbat, asks the (evil) monk whether it might be possible to create a back-up "operating system" for a human mind in case yours is corrupted? Spoiler: Yes, yes it is.

Super-short meta-context: Morrison decided "Robin Dies at Dawn!" plus like all the other Silver Age stories actually happened, or at least Batman actually remembered them happening (with any given story perhaps thanks to CTE, Joker venom exposure, etc.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I saw the Nanananannnnanan Batman thread looks to be archived. Thanks for the explanations of the Zurr En Arr info; didn’t realize it went back to the silver age.

I’m trying to decide what to read next: I’ve got two volumes of the Knightfall Omnibus that I need to get into, but I’ve also heard good/bad things regarding King’s Rebirth series. How’s Kong’s run?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

chaosapiant posted:

I saw the Nanananannnnanan Batman thread looks to be archived. Thanks for the explanations of the Zurr En Arr info; didn’t realize it went back to the silver age.

I’m trying to decide what to read next: I’ve got two volumes of the Knightfall Omnibus that I need to get into, but I’ve also heard good/bad things regarding King’s Rebirth series. How’s Kong’s run?

A lot of the goofy stuff from Morrison's run has links to sliver age stories that Morrison just turned into Batman's mind palace.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr Hootington posted:

A lot of the goofy stuff from Morrison's run has links to sliver age stories that Morrison just turned into Batman's mind palace.

Wow, that’s a really succinct way to describe the madness I just read. That said, I absolutely love Damian Wayne in his hands and love that little psychopath Robin. He makes Jason Todd look like Jim Gordon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve also heard good/bad things regarding King’s Rebirth series. How’s Kong’s run?

Extremely high highs and low lows, but someone in another comics thread is going through it now and calling it the best ever, so it's worth a try.
Some isolated bits and single issues are really really good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 4, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

Read Knightfall first. The Bane/Batman dynamic is a huge part of King’s run.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, of all the major Batman arcs I’ve read over the years, never did Knightfall. How does it hold up?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

At least John's the JL on the Justice League for this series. I'm not sure Hal's even appeared since No Justice.

My example wasn't a joke, Hal is the lead of The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison (though granted he's becoming a Blackstar in 2 months so he won't be the main GL much longer)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, of all the major Batman arcs I’ve read over the years, never did Knightfall. How does it hold up?

IMO it holds up pretty well but can come across a bit dated. It definitely feels interesting that Batman is treated more like an obsessive flawed human than some kind of hyper trained ninja demigod. Honestly for me 90's Batman is the best Batman for this aspect alone, and the story telling in Knightfall is really tight. It kind of loses a bit of steam after the break though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

My example wasn't a joke, Hal is the lead of The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison (though granted he's becoming a Blackstar in 2 months so he won't be the main GL much longer)

I know. I just meant in Scott Snyder's JL saga.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While I’m discussing Batman, any opinions on the Grayson volumes? I have and have read vol 1 and really liked it. Does the entire story hold up? I need to expand my collection.

And also since I love the Arkham games, how is the Batman Arkham Omnibus? I’ve heard mixed things regarding it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grayson stays great. New writers take over for the last few issues, and they're not as good, but it's well worth finishing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 4, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

IMO it holds up pretty well but can come across a bit dated. It definitely feels interesting that Batman is treated more like an obsessive flawed human than some kind of hyper trained ninja demigod. Honestly for me 90's Batman is the best Batman for this aspect alone, and the story telling in Knightfall is really tight. It kind of loses a bit of steam after the break though.

We can probably blame Morrison mostly for Batman becoming Batgod. Like Superman calling Batman "the most dangerous man alive" when he's the last man standing against the Hyperclan in Grant's JLA was a really cool moment but then it kept going.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh god Legion Millennium is bad. not Age of Ultron bad, but definitely verging on Bendis self-parody

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
DCeased as a tie in one shot today lmao. They couldn't wait for the series to be over. Well it was entertaining like the series has been overall.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So do most of ya'll comic/DC fans collect every issue of runs you enjoy as they are released, or just pick them up later in volume/omnibus format? I'm in the latter camp since I didn't grow up collecting comics. I like having big thick books with complete storylines to read at my leisure rather than read a comic for 15 minutes and be done with it, not to mention how much space that must take up when storing them. Just curious what other folks do these days.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

So do most of ya'll comic/DC fans collect every issue of runs you enjoy as they are released, or just pick them up later in volume/omnibus format? I'm in the latter camp since I didn't grow up collecting comics. I like having big thick books with complete storylines to read at my leisure rather than read a comic for 15 minutes and be done with it, not to mention how much space that must take up when storing them. Just curious what other folks do these days.

I'm an addict and buy single issues. A smart person would trade wait. Plus trades look better on book shelves.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Madkal posted:

I'm an addict and buy single issues. A smart person would trade wait. Plus trades look better on book shelves.

How do you store that many comics? I've seen lots of folks just have boxes and boxes of comics that get filed into the attic or some storage space somewhere. I actually enjoy reading and re-reading the books I buy and I think if I went the single-issue route I'd be more worried about ruining them and storing them than reading them. That's not meant to be a criticism as I find the hobby fascinating.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Trades tend not to have ads in them

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

More comic questions: If I wanted to break into some Superman, where can I find a good "must read" list? I'm talking about the Long Halloweens, Year Ones, Killing Jokes, and Dark Knight Returns of the Superman world. I saw there is an Omnibus on the Death/Resurrection of Supes, is there anything that goes into his origin that isn't Golden Age similar to Year One for Batman? I hope I'm phrasing this ask correctly. My collection is not insignificant but focues pretty much only on Batman and support Batman characters. I'd like to gives Supes a chance. I grew up with the Reeves movies but never got into reading the character.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Comic Book Herald has a great Superman guide, including standalones and his broader history.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Space Fish posted:

Comic Book Herald has a great Superman guide, including standalones and his broader history.

Fantastic, the link even works at work. I'll take a look through this, thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last year I sold what I hope was my final singles collection, nearly 60 long boxes. It's too much effort to move around or search through to find poo poo. These days if I want to read a single issue I buy a digital copy. Trades are the better option because they look good on shelves. I have a somewhat large collection of trades and HCs.

I've since added 4 more cubes of shelving and 600 more books. I might have a small problem here.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good lord that's an impressive an intimidating collection. It also looks like you live in an office building.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's my little dungeon of pop culturey poo poo. The shelves are now littered with figures and random crap. I have to move stuff to read a book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

oh god Legion Millennium is bad. not Age of Ultron bad, but definitely verging on Bendis self-parody

I assume AoU at least had narrative hooks from issue to issue. This doesn't have that, unless you count "This is eventually going to be about the Legion of Superheroes, right?" or "I guess I'll keep reading to see why on earth you picked Rose and Thorn as the protagonist."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rhyno posted:

It's my little dungeon of pop culturey poo poo. The shelves are now littered with figures and random crap. I have to move stuff to read a book.

I just have a small 4x4 "cube" shelf space for my trade volumes/Omnibuses, some figures and some Witcher poo poo ( love anything Witcher related) and it's not even full. Maybe one day!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read singles in digital and if I really love something, I'll double dip with a trade (or preferably hardcover) later. This rarely happens.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Endless Mike posted:

I read singles in digital and if I really love something, I'll double dip with a trade (or preferably hardcover) later. This rarely happens.

I'm definitely moving this way with books in general, but for comics I still like to collect the trades instead of digital. It's good for bubblebath reading. I don't want to gently caress with my iPad in a bubblebath.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Just some random Superman books I enjoyed.

Superman: Birthright is a good, more modern (there's internet, but it predates smartphones) retelling of Superman's origin.

All-Star Superman
Action Comics by Grant Morrison (it's the first 18 issues of the New 52 relaunch, it's available as 3 trades or I think an omnibus)

It's a Bird by Steven Seagle (not really about Superman, but about how we think about Superman)

Up, up and away

Red Son

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I worked comic retail for a long time so my transition to digital was unwilling but man do I prefer it these days. I currently just rock an Amazon Fire tablet to read them and don't see a need to upgrade that since I'll eventually get a trade of the stuff I really enjoy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume AoU at least had narrative hooks from issue to issue. This doesn't have that, unless you count "This is eventually going to be about the Legion of Superheroes, right?" or "I guess I'll keep reading to see why on earth you picked Rose and Thorn as the protagonist."

yeah, I assumed based on the solicitations and PR around this project that there would be some sort of narrative thread connecting these various DC future characters to each other and the Legion, but there simply isn't one, aside from Rose/Thorn showing up in each of them to whine about being immortal

still think AoU is worse, though. at least this is only two issues

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tom Taylor teasing something. From the hashtags, I'm guessing Suicide Squad.
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1169318723397677056

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doomsday Clock is a big ol' mess. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Recapping everything in endless expository dialogue didn't help
Did the second to last issue of Watchmen have Ozy explaining everything for almost an entire issue? He probably felt he had to mirror that.

Lol at the gradual blood drip over the clock in the back covers of the series being revealed to be Superman's cape.

edit: I bet he had to dust his Saturn Girl (also from King's Batman) because of Bendis, and that wasn't the original plan.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 4, 2019