Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vichan posted:

Next time we'll go on a little excursion to Icewind Dale.

Since there doesn't seem to be an actual time limit I might decide to postpone this in favour of the other Region of Terror areas which we've been avoiding until now.

This game is an absolute clusterfuck to LP, the choice paralysis is immense. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

This game is an absolute clusterfuck to LP, the choice paralysis is immense. :negative:

If you prefer, you could always give the thread a few options and put it to a vote. Not for every quest, of course, but it could work for bigger stuff?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CIV - The problem with doing completely stupid things is that yourself are the last person to recognise it, am I right?

Remember when I said we'd be heading to Icewind Dale next? I'm putting that aside for now because it might be best to visit the other locations of the Region of Terror mod first.

We reconnect with Dace while sending Foundling back to the Temple.

We're immediately bombarded with banters.

I hate the 'voice' Roxanne uses for every character, they almost never line up to what the actual character would say.

The beast salivated, its prey was almost ready to be devoured.

We check back with the Thieves' Guild and its a good thing that we did, looks like some old friends will be joining us!

I decided to craft some Shadow Dragon armor in the meantime, when we come back...

I have no idea what he just said but I'm up for it.

Suna Seni is actually in the original game as a random encounter, she was supposed to have a bigger role in the game but was cut for various reasons. More on that later.

I ditched Dace and replaced her with Angelo who will be popping in and out of this chapter.

Whatever you say, we head north and...

Orcs!

Some rogues help us out in this fight.

Anytime, Narlen. :respek:

Score!

Oh, I'm definitely planning on settling down, just not with her. I just make her think that so I can keep the relationship going.

...Oh God, I'm turning into Sandrah. :gonk:

It's back to the Thieves' Guild for now.

It'll be nice to have some pocket change every now and again.

Black Lily is going to be our fence from now on, we'll definitely use this so we can get enough money to go to Spellhold. I do feel bad that it's my fault that they've ended up here... :(

I forgot when we first got the option to go here but it's connected to Region of Terror.

Pretty impressive.

We head for the inn in the middle of town first.

We exchange Angelo for this Xan ripoff.

What is it with mods and overly long bios?

Ha, I got that reference.

Oh crap, this one has a time limit. Might want to get it out of the way right now.

The farms aren't too far away.

Esath managed to beat us here.

The farmers are extremely helpful with their prayers. :rolleyes:

Heading north into the next area we run into some orcs. A bit more beefy than usual but we manage to bring them down.

Further north is the ruined settlement which looks suspiciously like the Xvart village.

Sandrah gained some skills after leveling up.

Next to the settlement is this cave, the interior looks like the Nashkel mines.

It's filled with enemies and one of the traps insta-kills anyone who steps into it.

At the end of the dungeon we find the lich responsible for all this.

Glad we've got that out of the way, let's head back to Arlax.

Christ, this guy's almost as much of a pain as Noober. (I cut it out but you get the 'listen - interrupt - kill' prompt after every line)

This town's got its own sewer system.

Down here we run into a Drow who tells us where to go next.

Randall's out, Angelo's in. Before continuing we should head back to the Thieves' Guild.

We were just about to do that, thank you.

Bah, some goody two-shoes is getting in the way of our profits? :argh:

Cooler heads eventually prevailed, Sandrah's head specifically.

With that out of the way we might as well get some rest at the Copper Coronet.

Elminster teleports in to give us an amulet as well as a new hammer for Sandrah. It does 2d4 + 4 damage and gives a -5 to ThAC0 instead of the old hammer's 1d8 +2 and -3 to ThAC0.

Randall is back in, poor Angelo.

Time to walk willingly into yet another trap.

Sure, why not?

That necromancer seemed to be after Randall. Does anyone care?

Lots of Frost Giants here, they hit like a truck.

Inside the cave are Abishai.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but ever since Sandrah picked up the Golem Construction Manual back in BG1 she insta-kills golems before they can even get in melee range. That makes this area a cakewalk

Seconds after the dialogue ends a Tanar'ri kills her. Or maybe it was a trap? Who the gently caress knows.

Speaking of which...

Hey, I thought we already dealt with this guy before! :(

The guy's way easier to deal with than the previous time, I guess not having Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri around helps.

Imoen's going to love these spells. I'm pretty sure they're new.

We save Regis but decide to send him on his way.

Just in case you're curious, here's his stats and bio.

Vichan's nothing if not honest. :colbert:

That's it for Arlax and this chapter. Next time we'll dive back into vanilla content.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 7, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You know, I USED to like things where maybe a certain party member/set of skills could get you a better or alternate solution to a problem...

I will add: I am glad she's gonna bang Valygar and didn't change his portrait. At least I am not currently being skeeved out by author racism on top of all the bad writing!

And god, of all the portraits for Regis... How do very famous characters get portraits that bad? How much art is there of him? Because it's significantly more than none. There's so many options, and we get that.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 10, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

so it’s actually called Region of Terror? back when it was introduced it very much seemed like the author just misspelled “Reign”.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm starting to burn out on Sandrah. Every banter she has with anyone is completely predictable. Every voice Roxanne gives every NPC is identical. Every pointless interruption to explain the plot to us is completely expected. Oh look, yet another unnecessary overpowered item or skill for the pile. The last actual reaction I had was the retcon where she claims she's the one who killed Sarevok. It's all just so... pathetic.

Vichan, how are you still playing this? I don't know whether to be impressed or frightened.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Vichan, how are you still playing this? I don't know whether to be impressed or frightened.

Honestly these past few chapters have been rough. Sandrah content is mostly limited to banters/interjections and those start to bleed into each other. What keeps me going is the possible return to :eyepop: content further along the line. As far as the big stronghold quests go we only have the De'Arnise Keep, Windspear Hills and Trademeet to tackle with some mod content/companion quests in between. After that it's off to Spellhold where I'm hoping things'll pick up again.

I'm also determined to finish what I started, no matter how bad it's going to get. Time will tell if that determination will hold up in the post-ToB content though. I don't blame anyone for wanting to put the LP aside.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CV - But which mother would cast an eye on her daughter's loved one herself...What a mess life is...

We've got a lot of ground to cover today so let's just get started.

First up is the De'Arnise Hold.

We meet up with Nalia, she'll fill the empty spot in our party.

We follow her advice and enter the keep through the secret passage.

We arrive too late to save the servants, I hope Daleson's okay.

I love how Nalia's noble background shines through here despite her pretensions.

We head for the courtyard to gather some dogmeat.

We also lower the drawbridge while we're at it.

The guards bail just as we enter the keep, cowards! :argh:

Yummy.

We head upstairs to the second floor.

After dealing with this mage we head to the roof through the entrance that's behind him.

While exploring the roof Sandrah talks to us about our future. What is it with castles that prompt these kinds of talks?

Not now, Chloe. Anomen's not here.

'Do not have an advantage' my rear end, Sandrah is by far the most OP character in the game.

Oh boy, here it comes.

Christ, she's insufferable.

We enter the inner sanctum through some hidden doors.

Nothing Sandrah's dispel magic won't fix.

It took way too many playthroughs before I realised this had a peaceful option, I'm an idiot.

We take care of the golems so we can pick up yet another flail head.

After finding the third flail head near the forge one of the better weapons in the game is ours.

Once in the basement I put down the dog stew to lure the Umber Hulks away, not that it's strictly necessary.

Our jaunt through the castle ends with a fight with the troll leader.

While we're dealing with him we spot Nalia's father who seems to have fallen victim to the trolls. :smith:

I think Nalia could use some fresh air.

Wait, another stronghold?

Yep, we're actually doing this.

Oh God, not again.

Good riddance.

Anyway, time for some R&R.

Yes, it's another one of those encounters. You might want to skip these next few images.

Christ, this one was particularly bad.

She suspects nothing. NOTHING.

Let's get some actual rest before moving on.

:suicide:

I'd complain further about this but I'll assume Bioware's Valygar romance would be a better written version of this.

I can't showcase the skill you get from this because it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

While we're making good progress let's keep it going by heading for Trademeet next.

They seem to be having their own set of problems. Let's head straight for the mayor's house.

Trademeet is one of my favourite areas in the game and the architecture plays a big role in this.

We're greeted by the guildmistress but she doesn't have anything to offer just yet.

The High Merchant lets us know what we're dealing with her and points us to the dungeons.

Ah, Cernd. An NPC whose most defining feature, besides his class, is being a deadbeat husband.

No harm in letting him joins us, though. For some reason he's a kitless druid instead of a shapeshifter.

We've seen all of Valygar's Sandrah content so we'll have to say goodbye to him here. :wave:

What a weird-looking cat.

That fountain looks like a great place for some statues.

...What's that commotion nearby?

It's Rasaad! He runs away before we can talk to him.

At least we can annoy the Sun Soul Monks.

...Is that who I think it is?

We give him the letter that we received ages ago and he saddles us with yet another quest. Are we ever going to get to Spellhold? :ohdear:

Rasaad comes back and approaches us.

We'll deal with his quest later, I actually quite like him in BG2.

Before ToB came out people must've been so confused by this.

The innkeeper doesn't want to deal with us but we're able to buy Mironda's requested ale from him.

Let's head for the Druid Grove so we can end these animal attacks.

Ah, the Nalia romance. From what I can remember it was never finished.

Faldorn? Why does that name sound familiar?

I actually enjoyed this talk. Cernd might not have been as bad as I remembered.

...Christ. :cripes:

I always like to let this fight play out so I can easily deal with whoever's left.

To think that I used to have a lot of problems with this fight.

There's that name again, where have I heard it before?

Oh God, it's her! We can't actually deal with her like we normally would so Cernd is just going to have to duel her.

A fair fight as far as I'm conCernd. :imunfunny:

With that out of the way we might as well head ba-

...What is it with you and Anomen!?

While resting outside of the grove we get ambushed by some losers. After Jaheira breaks free they're quickly dispatched. After the fight...

This moment is nice and all but wasn't Jaheira supposed to address us? Did we run into one of many bugs associated with her romance? :cripes:

Oh, false alarm. Turns out one of the gang was hiding out in this corner.

Jaheira's adorable. :allears:

We're summoned to the Harper hideout immediately afterwards. Let's take care of business in Trademeet first though.

I don't recall only being able to start this quest after dealing with the druids but oh well, might as well take care of it now...

...After we've rested up at the inn, that is.

Sandrah's banters are rarely good but I *really* hate this one. :jerkbag:

That was quick, we'll deal with the harpers later.

Let's talk to the genies first.

Sounds easy enough, especially since I know where to go.

I don't know why I passed this house on my initial run through this place.

Let's not spend any more time here than we need to.

Done and done.

:barf:

Reading these just makes me feel uncomfortable, I don't know if it's intentional or not.

Looks like celebrations are in order!

I love this moment, it's nice to get recognized as the heroes we know we are. :allears:

On that triumphant note I leave you guys for today. There are some odds and ends in Trademeet we've yet to deal with but I'm saving that for next time.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 7, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

A fair fight as far as I'm conCernd. :imunfunny:

For this one line alone you deserve everything this awful piece of poo poo mod throws at you. :colbert:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

"Nalia, have you ever considered blowing obscene amount of money on trivial things is good, actually?"

"oh i get it now"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ramc posted:

"Nalia, have you ever considered blowing obscene amount of money on trivial things is good, actually?"

"oh i get it now"

"You criticize my clothing and yet you're wearing clothing yourself, curious." - Sandrah, Turning Point Faerűn

Black Robe posted:

For this one line alone you deserve everything this awful piece of poo poo mod throws at you. :colbert:

I've been holding back puns but this one slipped through.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You only get the quest from Busya when you've done the druid quest, but you can get the quest to kill the Rakshasa from the djinn as soon as you show up. There are also certain party members who will see through the Rakshasa's disguise and let you fight it even if you don't have the quest; Jan for sure, and I think Keldorn as well?

I was expecting Sandrah to somehow help Nalia be a bit more socially conscious, but I genuinely wasn't expecting her to do so by being richer and more condescending than Nalia. I'm not sure how I saw it happening in my head.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
It's "Ho there wanderer! Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." :argh: Bloody mod can't even get that right.

Sandrah is as awful as ever, and now the Beast is after Valygar too. How long before she goes after Mazzy?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Aw, you didn't even use any polymorph or shapechange effects.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

biscuits and crazy posted:

It's "Ho there wanderer! Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." :argh: Bloody mod can't even get that right.

Sandrah is as awful as ever, and now the Beast is after Valygar too. How long before she goes after Mazzy?

In all of her conquests and flirts, has Sandrah ever expressed any interest in dwarves or halflings?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

In all of her conquests and flirts, has Sandrah ever expressed any interest in dwarves or halflings?

no small folk, mercifully.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You only get the quest from Busya when you've done the druid quest, but you can get the quest to kill the Rakshasa from the djinn as soon as you show up. There are also certain party members who will see through the Rakshasa's disguise and let you fight it even if you don't have the quest; Jan for sure, and I think Keldorn as well?

Hexxat does too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Smiling Knight posted:

Of course not, Roxanne doesn't know how to make those races hot by pretending they're just (white) humans so she ignores them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Nalia's headshot supposed to be a kncok-off Lulu from FFX

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Nalia's headshot supposed to be a kncok-off Lulu from FFX

It's not a knock-off, it's the real deal.

One of the first ones you find googling her, as it is.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So Anomen, how does it feel to have a Sir before your name now?

That's my new favorite bug, Chloe's just losing her drat mind. Makes me chuckle every time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I keep thinking it's Morrigan from Dragon Age for some reason.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CVI - Fair and interesting maidens are not only to be found in my home. With the open eyes of a druid beauty can be found anywhere.

Last time I left you we were being celebrated as the heroes of Trademeet.

The town's noble families immediately try to tear us apart but we're not going to get drawn into their schemes. Not yet.

:heysexy:

Not now, I have a date to catch!

We're spared the details for once, thank God.

What am I doing to this poor woman? :negative:

Much better. :)

I really expected Sandrah to be front and center, I'd almost feel disappointed.

Rejiek!? We still have a bone to pick with that guy! :argh:

Looks like we're not the only ones who are after him.

Excellent, all we have to do is finish hi-

Sandrah seems to think something is amiss.

Betrayal! They fall so quickly that they might just as well have been ordinary skeletons.

Yuck.

Good thing we have a cleric on hand.

Now that that's over and done with we can head to the Harper Compound in Athkatla.

Turns out Cernd is also a deadbeat dad.

Cernd's personal quest is the best thing about him, I wouldn't want to miss this for the world. :allears:

Harper Compound first, th-

I have no idea why the messenger uses Nalia's portrait, this'll also have to wait until after we take care of Jaheira's business.

In a game full of hateable people Galvarey is near the top of my list.

No matter what you answer he finds a way to twist it.

With Jaheira on our side there's no way we can lose! :black101:

See what I mean?

Sandrah comforts Jaheira in her time of need.

Upstairs we can find Montaron's body in one of the chests, I wanted to show you guys earlier but for some reason I couldn't go back to the building until now.

The Beast hungers, its victim is almost ready.

You certainly will, Cernd. :grin:

First we attend the funeral.

Lots of people to talk to here.

What a douche.

The apple does fall far from the tree, it seems. At least his dad has some social graces.

Nalia's right, let's blow this Popsicle stand.

This one is from a banter mod, I quite like how well they've captured Cernd's personality.

Yes, 'support', that's why we're doing his quest. Sure.

Nalia's romance continues.

Bernard is a good egg. :)

:allears:

Anyway, Cernd's quest awaits!

His former home is in Waukeen's Promenade.

Catis owns. That last line has to be one of the hardest burns in the series. :allears:

We get in on the action as well.

Fennecia doesn't even want to talk to us if Cernd is in the building.

We manage to get the information we need out of her.

The golem gets struck down as it tries to fetch his master.

As much as I enjoy people dunking on Cernd we should really help him out here.

A lich is spectating, you can actually attack him as well but we're not going to bother.

Great, another baby.

Cernd immediately heads for the Druid Grove, let's follow him.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but Jaheira's romance is way better than I remembered.

Anyway, to the Grove!

...I think I'm in love. :allears: :swoon:

Next time we'll be returning to Waterdeep, hopefully in time to witness the birth of our child!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I cut things off a little bit earlier than usual because I want Waterdeep to be contained in one chapter if possible, whether this means that said chapter'll be very short is still up in the air.

Regardless, you'd best strap in.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah that was probably enough actually good content to prime us for whatever eldritch horror is coming. Sandrah only spoiled one quest, and in a fairly mild fashion, and Chloe just said exactly what I always tell Cernd at the end of his quest, so that's no biggie either.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

loving all these extremely non-psychopathic party members we seem to attract for some reason :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CVII - Hey, loverboy, I have two of that outlets.

I think the birth of my son deserves its own chapter, don't you?

Using the teleport spell we got from Landrel takes us to the gardens of Elminster's estate.

A heavily pregnant Shar-Teel wading through the muck to take out bandits is a sight I would definitely have wanted to see.

We immediately head for Sandrah's room.

Looks like we're right on time!

Here it comes...

...Really? Why is the baby's avatar ZeldaKid from Chrono Cross? Why is the voice coming from a cat?

What is this, Gone With The Wind? I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to say that anymore, let alone to a child.

We're doing Citizen Kane now?

loving ew... :barf: Why don't I get a choice in all this?

Wait wh-

There's so much wrong with this on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin, I'll leave it up to you guys to dissect it all.

Let's not leave just yet.

Time to pay a visit to Shar-Teel's new digs. Before we do so...

Angelo wouldn't have reacted to Shar-Teel's birth but it might be worth bringing him along now.

Now, now, Sandrah. Don't sell yourself short!

All this talk about blood is making me dizzy, let's just move on.

This is the Westgate which can be found east of Elminster's house. I don't get it either.

The little hut there leads to Shar-Teel's house.

We run into these jerk-offs again. They're easily dispatched since there's only two of them.

Oh, hey. It's the house I specifically mentioned liking before! :swoon:

Angelo has this moment even if he'd been present at Shar-Teel's birth. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

:eyepop:

They sure do grow up fast. And he even talks!

After this we fade to black, when we return...

Shar-Teel's so flustered that she's forgotten the name of the city she's commanding.

And that's all we can do here, at least for now.

Shar-Teel has named her dog after Sandrah's mom because of course she did. :jerkbag:

And that's pretty much it for Waterdeep for the moment. Next time we'll continue our adventuring by crossing the last big vanilla sidequest off our list. :)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 7, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

looking forward to Chloe trying to violently murder Vichan for abandoning his child :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dear Roxanne,

https://giant.gfycat.com/HandyDimpledAfricanpiedkingfisher.mp4

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's not Zelda, that's Kid from Chrono Cross. :eng101:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Leraika posted:

That's not Zelda, that's Kid from Chrono Cross. :eng101:

God drat it, I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't place it. I just assumed it was Zelda... :cripes:

Cythereal posted:

Dear Roxanne,

And we're not even at the post-ToB content yet.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What an utterly baffling choice for the baby's portrait.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Roxanne, this is not how babies work, nor is it how women who have just given birth work. I'm also frankly astonished that something in the code didn't spontaneously combust in protest at just how insanely out of character any of this is for Shar-Teel.

The child has obviously inherited Vichan's demon blood and should probably be drowned.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Holy poo poo that was insane, even by Roxanne standards.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Characterization shatters where the Beast walks.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I 100% had forgotten Angelo was Shar-Teel's dad

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So if Cernd can't join us anymore, does this mean that Sandrah lost her chance to add him to the list?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solitair posted:

So if Cernd can't join us anymore, does this mean that Sandrah lost her chance to add him to the list?

It's the greatest kindness any mod has ever done for him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pratan posted:

Holy poo poo that was insane, even by Roxanne standards.

Remember, Vichan's mother is also Sandrah's mother.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hypocrisy posted:

Remember, Vichan's mother is also Sandrah's mother.

And Shar-Teel's dog :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ramc posted:

I 100% had forgotten Angelo was Shar-Teel's dad

Was there an assault plotline or am I confusing this with another trainwreck?