Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

StreamOfTheSky posted:

If there's anything I blame the customers for, it's 4E's insane addiction to patching errata-ing the hell out of the rules. To the point where waves of changes were coming down for the core books even before they were released.

Because all throughout 3E, people complained so freaking much about them not fixing mistakes enough. So they overreacted way too hard the other way, nerfing anything that got complained about even if it really wasn't that bad.

Look, I know they really did drop the ball on 3E errata and didn't even do some books at all. But seriously, give people a microphone, and someone will surely whine about *anything.* There comes a point where listening to your own customers goes way too freaking far, and 4E crossed home plate and kept on running right out of the stadium.

The hard truth is...blatantly broken things are blatantly broken. Some might not realize it when they read it, but if not they will once it's used in game very fast. DMs have never ever had a problem with banning or nerfing things they think are too much, IME. Never. While pun pun may be a blotch to your cred as a designer...no one's actually going to get to use that in a game.
On the other hand, it's a very difficult and touchy subject to get a DM to *boost* something that's underpowered; I'm dreaded too many times wanting to play a monk or whatever and trying to think of how to delicately and politely ask the DM to throw me a bone.

When you errata based on fan outrage and whoever shouts the loudest, guess which of the two situations gets addressed way more often?
Complaining about too much errata is, on its face (given the hilarious state of 3E), kinda funny. Claiming that "DMs can just fix problems thus the problems don't exist" is icing on the cake.

Also, a much worse twofer later in the same thread!

Captnq posted:

OMG.

Is this still going on?

And now we are quibbling over fluff and disintegrate?

Alright, lets try and get back on track here.

All things being weighed, 3.0/3.5 is better then 4th.

Does that mean that You should stop playing 4th? Does that mean you won't enjoy playing 4th? No. Clearly not. but we can measure a wide number of OBJECTIVE evidence and compare the two.

How many books published under 3.0/3.5? How many under 4th?
3rd party support. How much for 3.0/3.5? How much for 4th?

Uh-huh. Thought so.

So does simply having more material make something better? No. but it is a strong factor.

After trying their level best to kill 3.0/3.5, how strong is the community who plays it? Is the 3rd party stuff still going strong?

Oh You BETCHA.

I've got a gift. My Gift is simple. I zone out. I absorb Data Sets. I spit them back out at you. I analyze data. It's what I do. I do it VERY well.

See my sig? I'm up to 80 files of Handbooks either finished, or in the process of being finished. Why? It's what I do. Better then helping banks destroy entire economies. Did I write all that? Hell no. But I am drat good at digging up information.

4th edition just doesn't have "it". People just don't care about it. 3.0/3.5 got the PLAYERS involved in the game. Horribly/Wonderfully involved, but we could give feedback. And if we disagreed, we could make our own rules. If Our rules sucked, the internet would judge us. If we had great ideas, the great ideas would prosper and spread.

Think of 3.0/3.5 as the untamed wilds. Feral magic systems dwelling in the shadows. Books like 101 feats, or 101 spells, or 101 ways to fart would crop up, spread like wild fire, then fall to the wayside. The ideas were mutable and changing. Wotc was like an outpost at the mouth of the Amazon. The lands of RAW/RAI were more like the wild west then civilization. A brave hunter could go forth and explore, or carve his own path.

Some people complained. People who could not stand the wild untamed system. The problem was, they were the only ones who hung out near the city of Wotc. Most of us were having too much fun in the badlands.

So Wotc made a "garden". They added safety bumpers. They made sure only approved foliage could be planted. Only safe, hypoallergenic animals were allowed in. Certainly nothing that came into contact with peanuts.

And when the players said, "To Hell With Your Garden. I like my Jungle." The Lords of Wotc grew angry. They said, "You like fluff? Here's what we think of your FLUFF." And then they sodomized Forgotten Realms Like Steven Spielberg making Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And they made us PAY to watch them DO IT.

It's not that it's a bad system. It's not that it's horrible. The garden is quite nice. It's a little too... Disney for my tastes. But that's not a bad thing. The problem is, the system limits the players and the DM, yet at the same time making them work HARDER. It doesn't make you go, "WOW." It fails to impress.

3.0/3.5 does more work for you. And in the process they screw up more. So it's not quite right. So you have to tweek it, but do you have to create entire powers out of whole cloth? 4th is... It's like... It's like Hero System, but not as play tested or as well loved by those who work on it. Yes, in the end everything is special effect, but do you go to the movies to watch the wire work, or things go BOOM?

As for 3.0/3.5, they could have just come out with 3.6. Hell, what do you think I'm doing with the Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis? When I'm done, I hope to simply be able to say, "Okay, we're playing with X, Y and Z. This will be a normal level campaign, so nothing coded purple. We will be using alternate rules for all Red Entries, but all Orange entries will still be AS WRITTEN. So needless to say, all green and blue are RAW as well. Oh, No tier 1 Classes or Races as well. Get cracking, we start play on Thursday."

Here's the thing. I'm just ONE MAN. I've done what I've done in 2 years, while holding down a 60+ hour a week job, yet I got over 20 handbooks complied with all the data the internet has to offer. Another 50+ in various states of completion. I've had very little help up until the past month. Imagine if I had access to a whole STAFF of Writers with RAW control over the entire system...

I'd knock your socks off.

See, WotC thought the money was in getting us to buy the whole drat game again. It's not. Never was. Microsoft knew what they were doing. Incrimental Upgrades with the occational reintegration/streamlining/optimization. Get people hooked on the operating system, and everyone else will fall over themselves to write "programs" for you.

4th edition wasn't a new OS. It was an attempt to make us by an entirely new COMPUTER. It was naked greed and that naked greed was why 4th failed. Not the fluff. Not the Ease of play. The players did not cause this, they REACTED to WotC. We didn't force WotC to do ANYTHING. I know exactly what they did. I used to do it myself. 12 years of doing EXACTLY what they do. Oh, the company and product changes, but in the end, it's all the same thing.

They brought all this down on themselves.
I suspect they are gearing up to do it again.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

quote:

Yeah, doesn't play anything like an MMO.

Diagonal Speed Boost: In 4th edition. To simplify the movement rules, moving one square diagonally counts as one square, and one square only, leading to the speed boost. Most of the earlier editions have a slight diagonal speed penalty, in that moving one square diagonally counts as 1.5 squares. Because, you know, math is hard.

They Nerfed alignments because morality is hard. You know, Like a MMORG doesn't care about good or evil, just how many points and stuff.

In 4th, every NPC is a Bot who wanders about a preset course. They cannot see through open doorways.

When they fixed and balanced the combat, and REMOVED literally every single part of the game that wasn't combat. You know, like a MMORG.

It's a MMORG. Deal with it. Just accept the truth that 4th was all about the money. 5th edition is most likely all about the money as well.

---
I'll just let this one speak for itself.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Remember when... 3.5 was unnecessary and people didn't need to move on from 3.0? Some kooks said that, right?

Monte Cook posted:

I predict that the majority of existing players out there will buy 3.5, and then house rule some of it back to 3.0. House rules, in fact, will become much more varied and prevalent from this point on -- but that's a whole 'nother article.

Sean K Reynolds posted:

My super-short summary: I think this version changed the game more than it should have. The two versions are not as smoothly compatible as they say it is. I think a lot of people are going to loot 3.5 for house rules but otherwise continue playing 3.0.

{This revision is too much, too soon.}

Yep. Some kooks said that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I still don't get it.

DnDPhilmont posted:

Yes, I'm looking for localization notes for *every* published TSR/WotC setting (not only the few which are widely remembered), in every adventure and sourcebook, and in every setting-based Dragon and Dungeon magazine article.

Plus, the instilling of a homebrew, kit-bashing, reverse-engineering culture into the game by marking all proper names in (parentheses) within any rpg gamebook. Novels excepted.

Plus, "localization notes" for homebrew settings in every adventure and sourcebook, offering three alternate names for every major proper name.

Plus, an explicit "meta-cosmology" which recognizes that the campaigns of all game groups are considered to be alternate, parallel timelines alongside the WotC timeline. This would be supported by the DMG 'expecting' DMs (or gaming groups) to name their campaign "Such-and-such's D&D World of the Forgotten Realms" or "Such-and-such's D&D World of Greyhawk". The full official name of the WotC timeline would "Wizards of the Coast Presents: the D&D World of Forgotten Realms".

Plus, a step-by-step or a la carte Worldbuilding meta-game built into the DMG (or, since the DMG is already printed, in a Worldbuilder's Guide):
A) Patch together your own world out of whatever adventures you happen to run during the course of actual play.
B) And/or choose a theme or themes: Medieval Fantasy, Pulp, Grim & Gritty, Gothic Horror, Extraplanar...

So that through this Worldbuilding meta-game, the DMs and gaming groups are expected to end up, by 20th level, with their own Campaign Setting, with its own name, logo, and PDF worldbook, and which grew organically out of the interplay between whatever adventures were actually played, and on the other hand, any overarching themes which were aimed for from the outset.

The basic 'default' theme would be Medieval Fantasy, and the basic Worldbuilding route would unfold through Gygaxian dungeoncrawling, followed by overland and urban adventures, followed by national, continental, global, and interplanar/interstellar adventures. It would be expected for many campaigns to be organically stitched together from bits and pieces of Forgotten Realms, Golarion, Dragonlance, Dark Sun and what have you...with the actual adventures serving as the formative core.

Throw in a OGL into the mix, and we'd have a free-breathing, radically creative D&D gaming culture. I may have to wait till 7th Edition.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
More opinions on this new "3.5" edition. Thanks, Amazon.com, for trapping grog in amber for generations to see. Same song, different decade. Videogames are destroying our hobby, money-grubbing elf tycoons are destroying our hobby, characters are overpowered superheroes, where the gently caress is my Erol Otus, etc.

quote:

Given the cynical conception of this product, the average D&D gamer - who has already funneled hundreds of dollars into the pockets of this publisher who stupidly bet the ranch on the enduring appeal of Pokemon - may be forgiven a degree of skepticism.

quote:

Wussies of the Coast has completely destroyed the game this time. Their committee approach to game design has resulted in a bland, watered-down, thoroughly boring system. Character classes are now completely meaningless. Humans-in-funny-costumes Syndrome (HifcS) is now complicated by every character having access to every skill and every feat. Why not just play GURPS?

quote:

The spells have been made considerably weaker. A Fireball used to be almost certain death, now it only does a good bit of damage, thus making the Mage one of the most undesirable classes around. It used to be that you became a Mage because if you could survive to about 7th level you could then start to take serious revenge all those who previously tormented you. Now we have the sorceror who is far more powerful than the mage, with no apparent weaknesses(again in terms of survivability I have to ask why be a Mage?) thus creating an unbalanced character.

quote:

As someone who was first exposed to D&D in the late 70s, I have to say that this game is not what it used to be. Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (I love the contemporary "3.5" denotation as if this is computer software) is obviously aimed at the adolescent, power-gaming, comic book-reading gamer. Even the style of artwork suggests it, the D&D of today looking more like an extension of the comic book realm, with superhero player characters and roided out warriors who look like they're out of the pages of Spawn.

It's with a long, wistful sigh that I remember the days of DM manuals with cheesy homebrewed art and the beautiful Erol Otus covers on the game modules. It was the days when D&D was spoken of by the general public as if it was the dangerous pastime of Devil-worshippers and cultists. It was a mature, intelligent game that drew heavily upon the great fantasy realms of Tolkien, Howard, and Leiber, not to mention centuries of old folklore and mythology. Even the language used in the manuals was sophisticated and not easily digested by someone with less than a college reading level. It was a game of substance, a game with real soul. It was geeky and esoteric. It was a lot of fun. You played wizards and warriors, clerics and thieves, and each class had its own drawbacks and advantages. Some were even plainly more powerful than others. That's just the way it was. There was no obsessive attention paid to making every class so perfectly balanced, into turning AD&D into egalitarian fantasy, but since when is everyone in life so equal? Wizards were pathetically weak early on but then turned into the most dangerous of characters at higher levels, undoubtedly wielding the greatest power in the game. Cavaliers were unbalanced too, and barbarians. Yet at the same time the game wasn't so crazy like the D&D of today where suddenly everyone has loads of skills and super abilities and anyone can do anything and the object seems to be making your character into a superhero. But I suppose that's what everyone is looking for nowadays, Diablo II with pens an paper. A pity, because so much richness has been lost over the past 20 years, ever since TSR started cleaning up its image in the mid-eighties and marketing its games towards teenage gamers. That's what big business is about though, and how can a company reap big profits nowadays without going mainstream and catering to the lowest common denominator? And profits are obviously WOC's primary concern. It really breaks my heart though to see what's become of a game that once meant so much to me. At least I still have all my old 1st and 2nd edition books and they'll always be there.

Let me close by saying this to everyone: No one's forcing you to be sheep and run out and spend money on this crap. If you're happy with what you're playing then what's the need to ever "upgrade"? Why not do the truly creative thing and stop buying this garbage that Wizards of the Coast is churning out and use your old stuff (be it 1st or 2nd edition or 3.0) and make your own adventures? And who needs a company's house rules when any decent DM can make up his own? Give me a break people. Think for yourselves and stop being victims of consumerism and slick marketing.

quote:

The skills system is again, frought with problems. A polar bear has no chance to sneak up on you on the frigid flat wastes. Why? Because it needs cover or concealement to "hide". So a bush in the way will do it as will dim lighting but not the fact that its white on a white background. Brilliant move.

quote:

The rules have the atmosphere of medieval superheroes or computer games rather than the original settings based on the writings of authors like Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber and others.

The artwork, while well drafted and in colour, has the feel of a video game.

quote:

Now for the money machine part.

They no longer included a mini-monster manual in the back, so guess what? All of them Summon Spells mean nothing.

Go buy the Monster Manual.

They make vague references to things like magic item creation, and tell you that they are explained in the DM's Guide. So guess what?

Go buy the DM guide.

They completely overhauled the combat rules, and now offer something called Attacks of Opportunity. This required them to write articles on the WOTC home page to explain, and after reading through several BB's and NG's people are still arguing over what they mean.
They tell you that all things are square and that you need a combat mat and miniatures to make sure to get it right.

Go buy a combat mat, and minis.

They made all of the characters so vanilla and equal that there are really only 3 classes now. Fighter, Magic User, and Cleric.

If you want to actually have your character stand out then guess what?

Yep that's right!
Go buy another book (or booster packs as I like to call them). Complete Fighter, Complete Arcane, or Complete Divine.
And if you want to play more than one type of character buy them all.

On a side note, the one thing I really looked forward to was coloring my book. Yes you heard me right! The old books were made of rough paper, and all of the art was line drawings. I loved sitting down with colored pencils, and pastels and coloring the pictures. They have taken that away from me as well....

"I can't color in my DMG!" is one the best complaints about D&D I've ever read. :allears:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

But im a very draconian kind of GM. If i take time of my week to read rules, plan an adventure and reserve 6 to 8 hours of my time to DM i expect the players to do their parts.

If between session a players doesn't tell me what he does with his XP. He cant spend it.

If a player does give RP material about his PCs and others not. Guess who is gonna get more "attention" during the game. I would spend two hours with the player that actually puts the effort i ask of him and barely 15 min to the one who doesn't put any of it.

If a player doesnt learn his own part of the system, im not gonna stop the game for 7 min for him to look up the rules he is suppose to learn by now because if i had to learn an entire rulebook he should at least know his section. What im gonna do is make up some ruling i think is appropriate and continue the game. After the game im gonna study the rule for next time.

But more anything the rule i always make a point of transmitting is "i take time of my week to read rules, plan an adventure and reserve 6 to 8 hours of my time to DM. So im the one doing work here for you to just have fun, if you dont want to contribute the door is right there."

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Given the cynical conception of this product, the average D&D gamer - who has already funneled hundreds of dollars into the pockets of this publisher who stupidly bet the ranch on the enduring appeal of Pokemon - may be forgiven a degree of skepticism.
...given that there are 23 core Pokemon games with two more releasing later this year, not to mention spin-offs, I think he needs to put a few more skill points in prognostication.

More Amazon submitted as Grogtax:

quote:

OK....... I really REALLY REALLY wanted to love this game. To be honest I've been a sucker for every incarnation of DnD that's come out. I liked all of em in their own way. I prebought this one and every 'pre-book' they've put out... We were all so eager for this new incarnation. It read so well. I can't believe this, but this game has actually managed to depress me!! I HAVE played it. Just spent three hours playing, in fact.

When we finished the party reported that they had the distinct feeling that we had just played a board game version of WOW. Now we all LOVE WOW in our gaming group.. but that's NOT what we sat down to play around a table. We saw nothing 'quick' or 'streamlined' about the gaming experience. We moved pieces around a board adhereing to movement rules and 'squares' for this and that in a fashion that reminded me way too much of the old 'Heroes Quest', albeit a complicated version! Were the game mechanics good? Yes. Why did I give it a 'one star'? Because whilst the game is a good miniature warfare game it seemed to rob the flavor of DnD. The character creation was extrememly confined and the selections were limited. Gone was the ability to customize your character to the point that you actually felt like you had something unique. You will feel as if WOC is controlling the direction your character takes. The game DEMANDED a board and game pieces.. I've always felt that DnD's flavor relied on the 'minds eye', which is so much more colorful in my head than staring at plastic pieces on a piece of cardboard. I do realize that the 'original' DnD was just that, a wargame with a fantasy element. But I feel it evolved into so much more... I guess we've 'returned to our roots'... so why do I feel like we climbed back into the primordial ooze?!

A great deal of the time the magic users felt like they were 'hitting the hot button key'. They had one or two actions that they relied on every round to cause the maximum amount of damage. No inovation or imagination. Everything was geared towards 'how does this directly effect combat'.

The DM's guide isn't that bad. Reminds me a LOT of the first edition book. Information on how to be an effective dm, traps, dungeons, and artifacts. Not what 'thirders' would expect, but not bad.

The Monster Manual is awful. A third of the pictures are just rehashed from all the previous Monster Manuals. The book is concerned with stats so you can play your miniature game effectively. Again.... great if your into miniature gaming. The ecology and culture information is virtually non-existant. Make all the arguments you want about this now being in the pervue of the DM.. the honest answer is that WOC is being lazy. You have a vast variety of stats to place against your carefully created stats, but very little flavor to guide you in roleplaying the encounters.

I have read that the streamlined combat will enhance the rolplaying as you'll have more time available.... that was really exciting.. too bad this wasn't the case. Going to miniatures and a combat board, whilst carefully figuring out where your party and the encounter is, everytime combat arose was time consuming. You'll also notice that you'll have to change the map everytime, of course, which is also time consuming.

If you LOVE miniature wargaming. If Warhammer is something you daydream about.... this is the game for you! As a miniature game experience it ranks a three or four...

If you love games that take place in your head fired by limitless imagination then your probably going to be disappointed.

I really feel like power gamers are going to LOVE this game and probably flame me for my remarks. The game is geared towards being 'godlike'. I'm not knocking this. If you love powergaming and twinking then this is DEFFINITLEY the game for you. To each his or her own. You should buy it immediately... and keep DnD fiscally sound enough to perhaps manage an inevitable rewrite that might restore my faith.

Ironically I'll be keeping my set... I think it'll make a great board game for those rare nights when I just wanna run through dungeons killings things and working off frustrations. According to the DMG I don't even need a DM to do this..... Sound like any RPG you ever heard of???? No story teller... no RPG. Just another board wargame.. albeit a pretty good one.

Good day!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, it has been 20+ years since I felt the urge to write a letter to the creators of my favorite game. Back then I wrote to TSR in Lake Geneva to ask a simple rules question and got a hand typed letter back signed by the "Big Guy" himself. I was awed and shocked to get such a response.

Unfortunately this time I feel compelled to write not asking a simple question but to say a complicated good bye.

I have been playing since the very early days of TSR, since that time I have taken my D&D campaign everywhere with me; College, eight years flying around the world in the USMC, through the several moves across five states and now teaching the game to my three children. I am not the streotypical gamer, living in mom's basement and driving a 1977 AMC Pacer-wagon (though my Mom and Dad actually bought a powder blue one when I was in high school, needless to say I walked to school). I am a manager for a multi-billion dollar, multi-national corporation and make a very nice living at it. As such I have been able to collect over the years a rather large RPG library and have sitting on my desk almost every title WOTC has published, with the exception of the Eberron and Dragonlance series which I just not got into for one reason or antoher.

But now it appears that it time for us to part ways.

I purchased the new Fourth Edition rules and devoured them while on vacation. I read the books cover to cover and was completely disheartened at the end of my read. I could have cried. The game that I have played and loved since the 8th grade is dead. It hit me just as it did when GDW switched to the Traveller: New Era rules, the game I loved was gone and the publisher stumbled along with a similarly titled game that was but a shadow of the original.

When my wife, who after a year of MMORPG'ing has only recently switched to tabletop gaming, saw how distressed I was she picked up the books and started skimming through. Although a veteran of only a few D&D 3.5 sessions she too saw this was not the same game we had played with my kids. After an hour or so she looked over the top of the PHB and asked me, "Do you think the guys at World of Warcraft know WOTC stole their game?" We discussed the new rules for quite a while and I began to make a list of what I would need to change in my current campaign so that I could bring the kids into the new edition. That list soon turned into a list titled "GOOD CHANGES" and "BAD CHANGES", thinking I could simply devise some house rules or cobble the 3.5 rules into place where the new 4E rule went against the grain.

As the list progressed I soon found that there was little point.

Lets face it you have shifted your target audience away from gamers like me to the new generation who demand instant gratification and who find that grinding through the lower levels is beneath them. I have had a few of these types play in my games over the years, the "Dave Bozwell type" from Knights of the Dinner Table, who B.A. lures to the gaming table by giving him a +12 Hackmaster Sword as a first-level fighter. As a manager of a business I understand that you have to set your sights on where the money is in the marketplace and it is apparent that you are going after Blizzard's 9-million WoW subscribers.

I am sure you have read many of the naysayers on the forums and reviews of the new books on sites such as Amazon.com. While you will always have those who resist a change from a previous edition, I can honestly say that my objections to 4E are not because of some grognard stubbornness or wistful reminiscences for times gone by, but purely for mechanical and stylistic reasons.

Stylistic? Yes. The theme of the game has changed, the mood, the ambiance if you will. As an example, in the DMG on page 124 under monetary treasure the portion reads, "By the time characters reach epic level, they rarely see gold anymore." Hmmm, so do they shop at Epic Level merchants and eat at Epic Level taverns? When I read this I could just imagine every merchant in town with a hand written sign in their stall at the market "NOTHING LARGER THAN A SILVER PIECE". That would throw a loop into Mr. Tough Guy trying to buy 50' length of rope at the bazaar with an Astral Diamond. Clearly a case of catering to this new generation, and where do I even begin with the pandering to the "It's KEWL to be evil" crowd with the inclusion of the Dragonborn and Tiefling.

After all the years of my mother asking me when I am going to grow up and stop playing games, I am sorry to see that that time is here. I shouldn't say that I am going to stop, that is not true. My campaign will continue, sadly though without your support. I purchased the DMG and PHB the first day they were released with every intention of continuing my support of WOTC and 4E only to find that I was left behind. It all happened so fast I wasn't prepared to say good bye, but now after a few weeks of reading and re-reading the 4E material I have been able to justify my position and can now finally come to grips with the fact that this is the end of an era.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I have played DND in some form or another for over 20 years. I am still running a 3.5 campaign where we advance the story slowly. I will soon be asking my players if they would like to switch to a new system to continue their advancement or stay in 3.5. 4.0 is not and shall never be very good.

The Good:

In line prestige classes -- I always wanted to advance my character and add a prestige class that gave more powers but still advanced my base character class. This is the one of the best things I have found in the new DND.
Dragonborn -- Dragons are cool and this gave a friend a way to play one that was allowable and not extremely onerous.
Changeable feats over time -- feats make sense early make no sense later.

The Meh:

Fast paced -- slows down once you get more then 4 people.
Everyone can always do something and feel like the can contribute to some extent.
Setting -- It is not a good point and is what you make of it.
Cinematic -- Not everyone wants it to be cinematic but WOTC thinks you do.

The Bad:

Overpowered -- Someone proved on straight rolls with a base character class you could single handedly take down a dragon in effectively one turn.
Overpowered -- I consistently threw higher level beasties at my group as we were going through an adventure. They not only decimated them but also walked through monsters who were suppose to be their challenge rating with no problem at all.
Cookie cutter characters -- Build optimizers away
Lack of Flavor -- Gaming mechanics are always odd they have distinctive pieces that make them work. It becomes the flavor of the game. Nothing here because this is written to be a computer game without the computer.
WOW effect -- They even use common reference points for computer game characters to identify each of the classes.
Combat is the only thing -- No actual additional roleplaying needed. Wave after wave of monsters attack and you kill them.
Eventually boring -- We still play then 3.5 edition game because it is much more compelling even through the mechanics.

WOTC needs to put out the relevant creators so all you would have to do is plug in your party stats and they could pump out round after round of action kills.

Pathfinder continues the path of 3.5 and is a worthy successor and Burning Wheel is very different mechanic set.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chaltab posted:

...given that there are 23 core Pokemon games with two more releasing later this year, not to mention spin-offs, I think he needs to put a few more skill points in prognostication.
GURPS nerds have been whining since 2001 about SJ Games producing Munchkin sets at the expense of more GURPS books because it's clear that Munchkin is just a stupid fad that will burn out quick, and then where will SJG be?

SJG forums in 2008 posted:

Priorities people...

Munchkin is fun, once or twice... but it gets old quick. How about shifting the focus back to the real stuff... like GURPS! Seems like whenever the time-budget is running low, Munchkin gets moved to the head of the line and everything else gets pushed back, and back, and back...

RPGnet in 2007 posted:

It still worries me that SJG is so heavily focussed on one product line: Munchkin. When will that well run dry? Frankly, I can't see why people keep buying the same (bad) game over and over again and am amazed that it still continues to sell so well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

TVTropes Tabletop Games forum posted:

I'm running a game where I have both the same problem and a completely different one. At some times, they act completely idiotic, not even understanding basic RPG survival tactics. I'm playing with my brothers, who are 11 and 8 respectively, but I don't think that it excuses the incredibly poor decisions they have previously made. The only reason they've survived as long as they have is because one of them reads Darths and Droids. Here's an example:

The game I'm playing is my own, and i guess you could call what I'm doing play testing. The 11 year old is playing a human archer that happens to be a member of the city guard, the 8 year old as a utahraptor assassin. The human one is supposed to be arresting the utahraptor, when all of a sudden they are attacked be a flock of humanoid pterosaurs called pterosapiens. I throw a few of the things at them to show how tough they are, and then send a huge flock at them, and make sure to leave a door to a conveniently open to an easily protected building. They take the bait, and run to the top floor. They do some fighting, but for some reason think that unless they keep moving then they'll die. So the human one gets the idea to jump OUT THE WINDOW AND USE ONE OF THE CREATURES AS A PARACHUTE. Ignoring the ridiculous idea of jumping out of a four story building and using a struggling creature as a parachute from the perspective of physics, this would put them out in the open, a much less easily defended place. Then the one playing the utahraptor decides to try the same thing. This is even more ridiculous, because utahraptor weighed about HALF A TON. The only reason that they survived is because;

A- Part of the plot involved the flock flying off.

B- If they died ten minutes into the campaign they would never play again. This was the first time I made them come up with a backstory, and to them it was a drat near insurmountable mental challenge.

Part of what made that whole thing so frustrating for me is that usually they're incredibly unimaginative. I have to spell out in golden letters on a mile wide billboard what the best course of action would be. I think I need to find some older play testers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The creator of Coreheim thinks that the Sisters of Sigmar are too unrealistic for the game, attempts to justify it in his FAQ.

Sigmar has been censored because GW.

http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/sistersfaq.htm

quote:

Q: Seriously, why haven't you included the Sisters of [Censored]?

A: Young blond virtuous virgins in a lawless city filled with warring males - we couldn't take them seriously.

Q: But the Sisters of [Censored] are pure and devout while the Witch Hunter Inquisition are corrupted!

A: Oh yearh, pure.

Captured Sister Superior: I am going to tell the Grand Inquisitor that you raped and sacrificed me to the Unholy Gods 18 times.
Satanic Cultist: But we only raped and sacrificed you to the Unholy Gods 17 times?
Captured Sister Superior: Yes, but hopefully it'll be a while until he arrives.

Q: Why is rape funny?

A: Jokes, like dreams, satisfy our unconscious desires. Jokes provide pleasure by releasing us from our inhibitions and allowing us to express sexual, aggressive, playful, or cynical instincts that would otherwise have no outlet in civilized society.

Q: I'm offended that you glorify rape.

A: But we don't glorify rape. We don't say anything positive about it, and if the person in question wants it (such as she does in our story), we're dealing more with something like a kinky sex game than forced copulation. And by the way, rape sucks.

Q: If you don't glorify rape, then why do people scream and bitch about it as if you did?

A: Did we forget to mention that part? Yeah, whatever you try to build or create -- be it a poem, or a new skill, or a new relationship -- you will find yourself immediately surrounded by non-creators who trash it. Maybe not to your face, but they'll do it. Your drunk friends do not want you to get sober. Your fat friends do not want you to start a fitness regimen.

Just remember, they're only expressing their own fear, since trashing other people's work is another excuse to do nothing. "Why should I create anything when the things other people create suck? I would totally have written a a better rule set myself by now, but I'm not going to make something lovely like these guys did! Oh yeah, on second thought, the vanilla rules are just grand, and they can't be improved at all."

As long as these people never produce anything, they kid themselves that they could have done better. If they had actually taken a stab at improving the rules, it would have been amazing. Not like the poo poo we made.

Q: I don't care what you say, I'm just going to repeat the rape accusation forever because if I act like a four-year old, then you're going to have to assume the role of responsible adult.

A: What you're doing is called focusing on the form to avoid hearing the content. Your actual beef is that we made a rule set that you feel threatens something you already know and like. But rather than offer an informed critique, you use the ingenious technique of digging through tangential material until you find a joke that is offensive when taken out of context, and then you talk and think only about that! Well, if a single offensive word can render an entire rule set unplayable, then you're a genius, boy. Great for you.

Q: Ok but I still think you guys are fat ugly virgins who hate women. Rape is offensive to women everywhere!

A: Now you're Focusing on the Messenger to Avoid Hearing the content, lol. Random trivia: There were women on the initial Coreheim design team and they had no problems with the jokes. What's offensive to women everywhere is being reduced to porcelain entities who need men to be offended on their behalf. In fact, grouping people together on the sole basis of their sex sounds and awful lot like sexism to us. People are individuals. They are not their gender or race.

Can we get on with the Sisters FAQ now?

Q: What do you call an Augur with a sex change operation?

A: A tran-sister.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 26, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
In this post, a grognard compares other grognards to the Taliban unironically while spouting copious amounts of :words:

quote:

Wait.. is 5e Making Grognards Suddenly Claim Character-optimization is More Important Than Roleplay?
There's a variety of different demographics that want to be critical about the upcoming edition of D&D. There's the guys who have always hated all versions of D&D and always will because they have some kind of pathological psychosis about that very name. There's the guys (mostly Pathfinder-fanboys now) who got burned by the change to 4e and have something not against D&D as such, but Wizards of the Coast in particular. There's 4e fans (both of them!) who are pissed off that the game they liked was rejected by just about everyone. There is of course the Storygaming Swine who revel in any chance to weaken regular roleplaying. But the one that is of particular concern to me is the Old-School Fundamentalists.

Not all old-school gamers are fundamentalists. Many of them (like me, for example!) are hopeful and enthusiastic with 5e and believe that it represents a return to more old-school values. A significant amount are relatively apathetic: they have the version of D&D they want to play and really have no use for anything else (but I hope to convince this group that at the very least its good that the main public face of the D&D game will again be something they could theoretically stand to play sometimes!). But then there's what I sometimes call the OSR-Taliban; the guys who collect Gary Gygax's used hankies and make shrines out of them; the ones who think that anything published after 1989, or 1983, or 1981, or 1979, or 1974 (or sometimes even 1973!) is "a betrayal of everything great about roleplaying". These are not the open exciting OSR I love, creating amazing new old-school RPGs like "Stars Without Number", "Red Tide", "Dungeon Crawl Classics", "Lamentations of the Flame Princess", "Hulks and Horrors" and many many others: games that take Old-School concepts and do exciting new things with them. That's the crowd I wrote Arrows of Indra for, and who loved it in return.

No, the OSR-Taliban are the guys who only want their exact early version of D&D (be it "oD&D", "AD&D 1e", or "B/X D&D"; pretty much any other edition after that is 'haram', and of course the fans of earlier editions often try to out-extremist the competition, saying that even AD&D 1e was against the 'true spirit' of Gygax's original vision), or who only want precise exact (in other words, worthless and useless) clones of the same. Just to have the same exact thing over and over again, ad naueseum, without any innovation. These are the type of guys who go on long rants about how variable weapon damage is a horrific deviation from the original purity of just rolling 1d6 for everything.

And one thing that Old-school gamers (including the fundamentalists) have always argued for is the fact that the point of D&D (and all RPGs) is to play out your character in a virtual world; its not about 'crafting elaborate pretentious story', but it is also not about making super-complex rules. Nor is it about character optimization; Old-School gamers have ALWAYS defended the criticism presented by some later-edition fans that "old D&D is dumb because there's no feats, skills, etc. so all the fighters are going to be the same" with the point that the difference between characters is not and SHOULD NOT be about what mechanical choices you get to make with the little numbers on the character sheet, that your character should not be unique because of his "Speshul Powerzz", but what should differentiate one character from another is HOW YOU ROLEPLAY them.

So I'm pretty shocked when I see that 5e-antagonism has shifted some OSR-fans, including many (like the fellow RPGsite moderator I'm about to quote) who I think are normally very reasonable sorts of people and not what I'd usually define as "OSR-Taliban", right into the far fundamentalist extreme end of mujahadeen hill-fighters. Witness the guy I'm gonna quote, and keep in mind he's a veteran of 200 flamewars with drooling-character-optimizers bitching to him about how old-D&D hasn't got rules to cover everything and you can't really have the choice of character you want in older editions; and yet here is what he's reduced to when he's talking about the fact that the upcoming D&D Starter Set (which the 5e-negativity brigade is desperate to be able to keep describing as 'crippleware') will not have character-creation rules in the box itself, and instead you will be able to download the complete BASIC character creation rules and more, at no extra cost:

"Which happens to completely miss the loving point of a role playing game and turns it from a game of your imagination into a consumerist item with limited replay value. From an open model into a closed one. And in case you're a bit thick too, the main point here is not the limited replay value in and of itself; it's the actual missing of the entire loving point of role playing games in empowering their users in the first place. So ... fail. Again."

My response to this:
Ok, never mind the fact that if you live anywhere but Burkina Faso or the Disputed Zone where internet doesn't exist, you can in fact create characters with this game, and thus have EVERYTHING you need to run any number of campaigns you want to run forever (with 2 MORE levels than the almost relic-like D&D Basic set of old had). Never mind that. Let's take a look at your statement: are you seriously saying "creating a character is the entire loving point of role playing games"?

So you mean the Denners were totally right? Its been about charop the whole time?
But by that logic shouldn't the "point" then be about having 20000 feats and point-buy options and advancement-trees so that you can map out precisely how your guy will look at level 20 before you've rolled his first stat?

Because if not that, I don't get what you're saying here. The precise argument that many use against how "limited" Old-School D&D character creation is, is what you are now using against the Starter set. They claim that old-school D&D sucks because you can "only ever make one fighter". There's no way to individualize the character, because we all know that individualizing the character is about what mechanical options you get to pick from or generate, right? Is that really what you're saying?

Because I think if I have 5 pregen characters, I hand them out to total newbs at random, and I tell them "Ok, this is a Dwarf Fighter, that's a human cleric, etc. But now you have to decide how they act and what they like and what they think and how they make decisions and how they feel about things.." then THAT, dude, is the ENTIRE loving POINT of Roleplaying games.

The set-up Wizards has chosen will let a group of kids do exactly that, from the moment they open the box. AND it will also let those kids then go on to create characters, and theoretically keep playing this game forever, with everything they need just in the box, without having to ever buy another product again if they don't want to.

That, to me, is the TOTAL loving OPPOSITE OF CRIPPLEWARE. Its something we should be praising WoTC to the loving rafters for. It means they actually got the point this time, and it also must have been a pretty bold and scary move for them, from their point of view: they're betting on actually giving people a game that gives them everything they need for $19.95 (and yes, typing out a URL, which people are suddenly pretending is an immense hurdle because.. what.. we all know 12 year-olds today have no idea how to use the internet and hate to be online??). Instead of going with the (failed) technique of giving them half-a-game and then demanding they pony up money for the full experience, they're going to give them a full game and then trust that game will be awesome enough the kids will want to pay more for other stuff. That's really what they always should have been doing, but we should still be impressed because its been so very long since they had really tried doing it this way. If they only manage to actually promote the starter set in the right ways and to the young-teen demographic, it might even bring a whole new generation into the hobby.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Lorenzetti Oversize + H&H's Beverwyck

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kitten Factories
The Nekomusume species began as an expensive, decadent luxury. Seeing how profitable the sale of custom-grown Nekos was, many of Japan’s largest entertainment, electronics, automotive and media mega-corporations have a division dedicated exclusively to the production of beautiful cat-girls. Ordinary production facilities (formerly dedicated to manufacturing everything from game consoles to compact cars) were repurposed and converted into massive womb-complexes, breeding catgirls by the hundreds.

As kitten factories became more common, the price of cat girls dropped dramatically. But true catgirl connoisseurs will only purchase their glamorous pets from first tier bloodlines, from breeders who have been in business since the catgirl boom of the early 1980s began.

Neko Dream Ultimate
Neko Dream Ultimate, headquartered in the iconic 109 Building in Tokyo’s Shibuya District, was the among the first companies breeding Nekomusume. Neko Dream Ultimate occupies three floors of the chrome and glass commercial tower. The corporation has an unmatched reputation for quality and only sells their submissive, well-trained cat girls to carefully screened and credit-checked buyers. Unlike many lower-tier kitten factories, Neko Dream Ultimate has no interest in producing snuff toys; catgirls are a pleasure to be savored over a lifetime. The company’s advertising image is bound up in the Nekos they produce, and prides itself on producing happy Nekos that go onto happy (if unfree) lives. The office is decorated with glossy photographs and memorabilia to the world famous Cheetah-Ai (NG female idol Nekomusume Bard 9, 1982-2007), the first cat-girl.

Neko Dream Ultimate has exclusively licensing rights to sell kittens (and clones) of Fashion Club Nekomini show winners and first runner ups. The company is unique in that many of its sales staff are Nekos themselves, somewhat more intelligent than the norm, and extremely skilled in negotiations. These Neko sales-ladies are allowed to use their commissions to purchase not only their own freedom, but also stock in the company- making Neko Dream Ultimate one of the only partially Neko-owned businesses on the planet.

The Amakaze own a controlling interest in Neko Dream Ultimate, and their interests are represented by senior board member, Karen Obake (LE female human Wizar (transmuter) 13). Obake was once one of Japan’s secret protectors, but she sold out during the 1970s. She designed both the spells and the gene-treatments necessary to produce a true Neko and was very much the ‘mother’ of Cheetah-Ai and the other first-gen Nekomusume. Today Obake is one of the richest businesswomen in Japan, but she has not left her Chiba mansion (except for high security board meetings) in more than two decades.

Smilodon Risk!
One of Neko Dream Ultimate’s chief rivals, Smilodon Risk! has been in business since the mid-1980s. Also headquartered in Tokyo- in the rambunctious Akihabara District- Smilodon’s success is due to its unforgettable ad campaign. Where Neko Dream positioned its catgirls as elegant and graceful companions to the elite, Smilodon’s hyper-colored, action-oriented advertisements featured lithe, athletic catgirls in action! Karate, kendo, SCUBA diving, skydiving, free-climbing the rock faces of Yellowstone, motocross racing, paintball- Smilodon catgirls could do it all and more! And they were much cheaper than the equivalent Neko Dream kitties, the first mass-market catgirl.

Smilodon Risk! is privately owned by Warren Dunn (N male human Otaku Smart 2/Hentai Hero 3/Modern Spellcaster 2), an American ex-pat who decided to stay in Japan after a summer internship with Neko Dream. The Amakaze controlled mega-corp couldn’t conclusively prove Dunn stole their technology (he didn’t- he was given it freely by Dr. Sukakagi specifically to make trouble for the mega-corp), but they spent over 100 million yen taking his start-up to court in the attempt. The handful of attempts on his life only made him stronger- Dunn was an ordinary mortal, albeit obsessed with catgirls before he crossed the Amakaze. He learned quick though, and proved capable of defending himself. Eventually, he was able to negotiate a truce with Neko Dream’s secret backers- a truce that kept him alive and in business, though what the treaty entailed, he’s never revealed.

Dr. Sukakagi’s Strays
Karen Obake might get all the credit for creating the Nekomusume race- all the press, the glossy magazine covers, the 1983 Nobel Prize for Genetics but she couldn’t of done it without Dr. Gendo Sukakagi (CE male human Modern Spellcaster 13). Dr. Sukakagi went slightly mad mapping the catgirl genome, and was prone to making grandiose statements about how the future of Earth was furred, and that he was the father of a race of feline angels who heralded the next epoch in human evolution! He was also prone to showing up to press conferences without pants and stinking of whiskey and musk, and every time he opened his mouth, Neko Dream’s stock took a big dip.

The Amakaze bought him out. The sum was exorbitant, but Dr. Sukakagi blew through his payday in a few years- spending most of it on increasingly bizarre and fruitless experiments, and the rest on catgirl prostitutes, coke and booze. By the mid-80s, he was broke, bitter and convinced that Neko Dreams screwed him over. To get his revenge, he contacted any half-way competent gene-sculptor he could find and gave them his secrets. Soon, dozens of upstart companies were nibbling into Neko Dream’s markets share, first among them, Smilodon Risk!

Neko Dreams Unlimited weathered the storm, and eventually the market stabilized around a few top tier kitten factories and a plethora of second stringers and imitators. By the mid 1990s, Dr. Sukakagi started working out of panel vans and abandoned buildings, squatting where he could and churning out genetically inferior, ‘quick and dirty’ feral Nekos by the thousands. He created true breeding packs of mentally damaged cat-hybrids in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagasaki and about a dozen other major cities throughout Japan and sat back to watch the fun.

The Akaname in general and Karen Obake in specific, the Tokyo Bureau of Mythological Sanitation and anybody whose autobody work has been shredded by rogue Nekos would all like a big piece of Dr. Sukakagi’s rear end….if they can ever find the malicious old coot.

Dr. Gendo Sukakagi (CR 12)
Medium CE Human (cyborg) Modern Spellcaster 13
XP 19,200
Init +0 Senses Darkvision 60 ft, Perception +17
Languages Cantonese, Dwarven, Draconic, English, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian

Defense
AC Touch Flatfooted
HP 13d6 hp (47 HP)
FORT +4 REF +4 WILL +11
Immune flanking

Offense
Spd 30 ft
Melee +7/+2 shortsword (1d6 slashing, 20/x2)
Spellcasting (CL 13th Concentration +24)
Ninth Gate, Pulse of Misogyny* (W-DC 24), Sadistic Dissection, Mass* (F-DC 24)
Seventh Cure Serious Wounds, Mass, Delayed Blast Fireball (R-DC 23), Form of the Dragon II, Greater Polymorph, Regeneration, Resurrection
Sixth Antimagic Field, Anthropomorphize the Problem… And gently caress It*, Disintegrate (F-DC 22), Repulsion (W-DC 22), Sadistic Dissection (F-DC 22),
Fifth Baleful Polymorph (F-DC 21), Cloudkill (F-DC 21), Corrupting Tentacles* (W-DC 21), Flesh Spasm*, Mage’s Faithful Hound (summons a cat instead), Mage’s Private Sanctum, Polymorph, Urban Stride*, Vibrating Torture* (F-DC 21)
Fourth Beast Shape II, Cure Critical Wounds, Enlarge Person, Mass,
Third Fireball (R-DC 18), Fly, Haste, Keen Edge, Ray of Exhaustion (W-DC 17), Wall of Fire
Second Cat’s Grace, Detect Thoughts, Electrical Transition*, Make Whole, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray (R-DC 17)
First Cure Light Wounds, Enlarge Person, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Mage Armor, POETICA Programming*, Quick Cum (W-DC 16), Stunning Orgasm (W-DC 16), True Strike
Zero (at least his top 5 favorites) Aid, Comfortable Act*, Happy Swell*, Mending, Prestidigitation
*Enchantments of Black Tokyo

Statistics
Str 8 Dex 11 Con 10 Int 21 Wis 16 Cha 14
Base Atk +6 CMB +5 CMD 15
Feats Arcane Strike, Catch Off Guard, Craft Wondrous Items, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Disruptive Spell, Ectoplasmic Spell, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Persistent Spell
Skills Craft (alchemy, electronics) both at +24, Computer Use +24, Heal, Knowledge (arcana, pop culture, technology) all at +23, Linguistics +22, Perception +17, Repair +22, Spellcraft +24
Cybernetics Cyberoptics (Compound Optics Band, Micro Optics, Nightvision Optics), Basic Cyberlimb (right arm, branch type hands), Cybernetic Power Supply (x5), Onboard Computer, Skill Databases (+2 equipment bonus Craft:alchemy, Craft:electronics, Computer Use, Heal, Repair, and Spellcraft checks)
Gear alchemist kit, electronics kit, first aid kit, surgery kit, laptop computer, 3x potions of cure serious wounds, ring of protection +4, multi-terrabit harddrive full of furry and catgirl porno, +1 short sword

Ecology
Environment any urban (in crappy neighborhoods, living out of an old van down by the river)
Organization solitary
Treasure double standard (hidden in the aforementioned crappy van down by the river)

Special Abilities
Cyberlimb (EX)
Dr. Sukakagi replaced his right arm at the shoulder after an industrial accident involving a catgirl, an untested sexual position and an unfortunately non-secured vat of industrial solvent. He can branch his hand (splitting his fingers apart on previously concealed seams into thousands of wire-like manipulators) that allow him to perform Craft checks involving precision work in half the usual time.

Cyber Optics (EX)
The flat band of advanced micro-cameras that replace Dr. Sukakagi’s organic eyes provide him with a 360 degree field of vision. Dr. Sukakagi cannot be flanked.

His advanced optics also provide him with Darkvision 60 ft and a +1 cybernetic bonus on Appraise, Craft, Disable Device, Heal, Linguistics (forger), Perception checks, thanks to his micro-vision optics.

Modern Spellcaster (SU)
Dr. Sukakagi can cast any spell in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook, D20 Modern FX rules or other source, from any class list. If a spell is available to multiple classes, Harrier can learn it at the lowest level possible. Dr. Sukakagi is a spell point-based spell caster – to cast a spell, he must spend a number of spell points equal to the spell’s level (including any metamagic level adjustment). He can also attempt to cast spells beyond what he safely can cast, called overcasting, but at great personal risk.

Dr. Sukakagi can safely cast up to 7th level spells.

Eight hours of sleep or restful calm allows Dr. Sukakagi to recover 36 spell points, or he can spend an action point to instantly recover 2d6+2 spell points as a full round action.

Overcasting (SU)
Dr. Sukakagi can attempt to cast spells beyond 7th level, including those enhanced by metamagic. Doing so is risky. Dr. Sukakagi must succeed at a WILL save (DC 15 + spell level) or the spell is not cast. Furthermore, Dr. Sukakagi suffers 1d10 points of damage per level of the failed overcast spell. In addition, if Dr. Sukakagi fails his WILL save by 5 points or worse, he expends every spell point remaining in his pool, suffering +1 hit point damage per spell point expended.

Roleplaying
Dr. Sukakagi is crazy as gently caress.

The ‘father’ of the catgirl race is a wild-eyed, frizzy haired, Japanese mad man in a stained white lab coat. His right arm and his eyes have been replaced by bulky cybernetics- he could of easily afforded fully humanistic prosthetics, but he choose obvious chrome cybertech because it ‘looked cooler’. There’s a 50 percent chance he’s wearing trousers on any given day, and if he’s not, it’s a good bet his ‘little lab assistant’ is poking out of his Hello Kitty boxers.

He’s prone to grandiose statements and grand pontifications that cat-girls are the most highly evolved race in the galaxy, and that the future of humanity is FURRY!! YIFF! YIFF! He’s especially poetic and enthusiastic when he’s drunk, which is most of his waking life. The quintessential mad scientist, Dr. Sukakagi is prone to abducting pretty college girls and office ladies in an attempt to genetically rebuild them into whatever cat-girl Messiah he’s having visions of this week. His schemes are bold, impetuous and very poorly thought-out. Most of his big ideas begin life as doodles on a bar napkin. He lives in a crappy panel van down by the river and squats in abandoned buildings, which he converts into laboratories that even your average meth-cook would find unsanitary.

In battle, he’s Mr. loving Blasty-Mage. He will overcast the nastiest combination of metamagic enhanced combat magic he can dream up. Suck down an Empowered, Maximized, Disruptive, Persistent Disintegrate, rear end in a top hat! There’s a very good chance he’s going to cook himself by overcastting before the player characters can shoot him themselves. Which is good, because as crappy as Dr. Sukakagi’s combat abilities are, that might be the only kill he scores the entire fight.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is the #5 hottest today(26th May 2014)?

If it was actually turned into satire and made to fit into most DW games without making focus on the character force discussion in a certain direction, it'd be pretty cool. Coulda been used to portray veterans turned bards from a time of major racial war or a , but nope has to be google minus, blogging, true gaming bingo bongo what's immersion.

It's too unsubtle for satire and is only like 10 moves long, and the mechanics are kinda misordered. You need at least level 2 to use the class beyond set games, and like level 6 to avoid being That Guy nearly automatically by using this playbook (and why would you that). If someone does manage to take and play this with what can be considered and average DW group without either killing or pissing off the group, in a game not tailored around this playbook, then good on you.

On the other hand, FATE core or accelerated are pay-what-you-want, as is Beyond by Zero Point Information (no association), Always/Never/Now by Will Hindmarch(no association), or even a ponyfinder expansion or two (no association, again). Each of these can be easily used to explore the themes this is trying to, but better and cheaper. Do yourself a favour and celebrate terrible designers by picking up work by good designers and enjoying a good game while laughing at the bad ones.

2/5, some of the moves are kinda cool and I laughed, but so much wasted potential. Keeping the review short to avoid grog.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Catgirls. It always comes back to sexy catgirls. Nerds will never change.

Grogtax:

quote:

I give this a single star on principle, as this entire fiasco is essentially a pay-per-view slap fight.

I will never use any of this content in a Dungeon World game because it's so ludicrously topical and trite it may as well be a glorified Facebook post. That they asked for money at all is in insult - professionalism is absent from this.

I am ashamed as a tabletop hobbyist and saddened to see such pettiness and rank immaturity between publishers.
Does DriveThru require people to have actually purchased a product before rushing in to give it 1/5 stars?

Olympia
Jan 9, 2014
Level 36 Jock

RPGnet 1001 things found in an alley posted:

3 - about 10 large card bored boxes.

31. a condom, used

Why would you need a list for stuff like that?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So the D&D Next team have put out a press release. Mining the comments is probably easy mode, but still.

quote:

So, starting from the very first announcement, their release structure already makes no sense!

We have Basic - which is apparently free and not the real game - and then the 3 core books - in August - and something called the Starter Set - which is being released in July, and is what, exactly? How can there be something between a free download and the actual books? Will the Starter Set have more or different stuff than the core books? What in the world is it for? Are the core books not enough? IT IS ALREADY CONFUSING. Please don't release twelve different colored "boxes" that all have different rules and different pieces to the same large puzzle!

Have you considered chilling the gently caress out?

Also? If you like brony pathfinder bullshit you're not allowed to like my ghost game. Or any of my games. Fuckin' bronies.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Well, that was nice while it lasted.

Let me be clear: I've been a rabidly committed fanboy from day one. I think going for a new 'clean' edition of the game was necessary. I think most of the design decisions Mearls et. al. have made have been excellent.

until now. They blew it. The big one, the absolutely crucial design choice, the one which positively dwarfs niggling little questions of Vancian vs AEDU powers, or martial healing or whatnot.

you guys had ONE JOB: save the hobby. Because make no mistake, ONLY D&D has the name recognition and cultural cache to save the hobby before it ages out of existence. And this was its last shot. Ten years from now, the aging geeks who grew up in the 70s and 80s will be gone, their kids too old to introduce to the hobby. You needed - we needed - a product which would grab at least 5 million twelve-year-olds, new players to revitalize this decaying game.

Do you know how long the 1st ed AD&D players handbook is? 120 pages. And it got slammed, is still slammed, for its part in making the game too complex to be approachable, of creating a mountainous barrier to wide adoption by the masses.

Do you know how many 12-year-olds would like to slog through almost *a thousand* pages of rules? For any game? Even if you paid them?

NONE OF THEM!!!
You killed it, Mearls. It was vibrant and beautiful and alive, and you killed it. Forever.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Remember 2008?
D&D 4e’s Out… And It’s Awful. Here’s Why

Highlight from the above:

quote:

Many people love to attack the bearer of bad news, so let me be clear about my background. I’m not one of those D&D-haters, or someone who has only played Third Edition and therefore can’t believe anything might be an improvement. I’ve gamed since the early 1980s, starting with Star Frontiers and quickly moving to the D&D Basic set, and happily migrating to AD&D first edition, AD&D second edition, and D&D third edition. Each time, the new version of D&D, with its improved elegance and increased options, easily sold me on being an improvement on the previous version, and I was happy to upgrade!

GorfZaplen posted:

or even a ponyfinder expansion or two (no association, again).

Here's the million dollar question: Was that supposed to be a burn, or does he legit think ponyfinder(sp?) is good?

Selachian posted:

NONE OF THEM!!!
You killed it, Mearls. It was vibrant and beautiful and alive, and you killed it. Forever.
New thread title?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sabbatron posted:

Why would you need a list for stuff like that?
DTRPG is jam packed with useless D100 tables for sale. I counted almost 500 products starting with "100", "1000", or "101".

Gygax put a lot of D100 tables in his products, so they're considered "Gygaxian". They also appeal to the sort of sandbox gamer who likes their world procedurally generated (or are so lacking in imagination that they need to consult a chart any time someone asks then what the name of the innkeeper is). Finally, they're the ultimate bottom-feeding low-effort product from wannabee nerds who then get to call themselves an Professional RPG Publisher because they uploaded a pdf of 100 kinds of dwarf bread or something.

Also: One very reliable grog tic is the way they all feel the need to recite their grog lineage at the start of every discussion, rattling off which edition of D&D they started playing with and how long ago that was - as if the revelation that they started on Holmes Basic was the ultimate trump card in a grog discussion.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 27, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

FMguru posted:

DTRPG is jam packed with useless D100 tables for sale. I counted almost 500 products starting with "100", "1000", or "101".

Gygax put a lot of D100 tables in his products, so they're considered "Gygaxian". They also appeal to the sort of sandbox gamer who likes their world procedurally generated (or are so lacking in imagination that they need to consult a chart any time someone asks then what the name of the innkeeper is). Finally, they're the ultimate bottom-feeding low-effort product from wannabee nerds who then get to call themselves an Professional RPG Publisher because they uploaded a pdf of 100 kinds of dwarf bread or something.

Also: One very reliable grog tic is the way they all feel the need to recite their grog lineage at the start of every discussion, rattling off which edition of D&D they started playing with and how long ago that was - as if the revelation that they started on Holmes Basic was the ultimate trump card in a grog discussion.

YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A GROG AUDIT

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gareth Michael-SkhasRPGnet called lately not that I care posted:

Looked at RPGnet thread of gamers actually *complaining* about free D&D PDF.

Don’t worry RPGnet, I’m not laughing at you…

OK, yeah I am.

those two guys five or so posts in a 90-post thread full of effusive praise sure are emblematic of rpgnet as a whole :downs:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

The rules are the only things we know about D&D. Classes are the only way we know of describing D&D characters. Hit points are the only way we know of describing their health.

If we don't assume that the rules we know about are the ones that determine everything that happens in this fictional world, then what does? At that point, we must conclude that there is another separate set of rules for how the D&D reality works. Are those simply the rules of the real world? Obviously not, since there are deities and alternate planes and magic. So, if the PHB is not a worldbuilding manual, we now must wrap our head around three different realities: the real world, the PCs' reality, and the rest of the D&D world, which apparently has rules that are not described anywhere and that no one knows about.

Talk about "secret backstory".
Going back a bit. I've figured it out. This bit of ridiculous nonsense? I am afraid I might have started it.

A ways back I posted this on both GiantITP and ENworld, intended as fun antigrog.

quote:

I remember a random little thought experiment I read somewhere as the basis for this, but wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole we could go. I'm personally very comfortable with games where the rules are not the world's physics, and instead represent kind of a narrative layer on top of the fiction...

...But in higher-sim games, this is not the way of things. And, if the laws of physics are reflected in the rules of the game, I started thinking about wizards. This is intended kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Okay. So there's some wizards of varying levels in a wizard's tower somewhere. They are indubitably intelligent - smarter than we are - so they start experimenting with the laws of the universe.

(1) They know that their members can prepare X, Y, Z spells of I, II, III levels, and that these are always distinct quantities in a regular progression. They have at this point figured out the spell chart.

(2) The ranges and areas of effect of their spells increase in distinct, quantized measurements - usually 5' or 10' each* - and that this increase corresponds with the number of spells prepared.

(3) These gains only come in specific units. At this point, these Wizards have figured out Levels as a fundamental feature of the universe, and can even engineer out their specific levels through use of (for example) spell ranges.

(4) By blasting damaging spells at uniform targets of specific kind - like walls and blocks of wood - they can determine the percent of the time the item is blown up. By letting Wizards of different levels do this, they can further chart the efficacy - the block of wood is destroyed X% of the time by a Fireball spell by a wizard of Y level. At this point, they can figure out Hit Points as a fundamental feature of objects.

(4a) If they're particularly unethical, they can figure it out about goblins or kobolds, too.

(5) By the same token, they can determine that the probability of destroying targets is shaped in a curve best represented by Xd6, where X is their Level.

(6) With repeated uses of spells like Charm Person on each other, they can determine (a) saving throws, (b) Wizards' Will save progressions, (c) the caster's Intelligence bonuses, and (d) the targets' Wisdom bonuses.

(7) By doing this against (for example) town guards, they can further work out non-Wizards' Will Save progressions and Wisdom scores.

(8) The Wizards can get people to lift heavy things. They notice the maximum amounts their subjects can lift are, in turn, quantized into distinct units of measurement instead of smooth. By casting buffing spells, they can work out the progression and notice that it matches at every step. They have just worked out possibly as much as the entire 3-18 or 3-22 scale for Strength and can refer to it by a number.

Okay. So at this point, these Wizards can speak about Levels, Saving Throws, Wisdom Bonuses, Strength, and Hit Points. What else can they do? Can they - from the spell list in the PHB - figure out the entire rules of the game in which they are characters?

I didn't expect anyone would take this as a manifesto. :gonk:

Grog, in the same vein...

Saelorn posted:

It would be consistent to narrate Hit Points as such, if you were inclined to do so. All Hit Points are always plot armor, and any injury sustained is precisely cosmetic with no correlation to Hit Points whatsoever.

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to have physical and non-physical Hit Points that act the same. Personally, I don't see how a character could be aware of quantized luck, divine favor, etc. while it is critical to the game that characters are aware of the information which corresponds to Hit Points (or else they'd have to behave the same at 1/60 as they do at 59/60). That's why I explain all Hit Point loss as physical in my own games.
In other words, we need to care about not just what the players think, but also what the characters - who aren't real people - might know about their (imaginary) health. Because saying, "hey cleric, I need a heal," is awful metagaming otherwise. And it's definitely sillier than Bob Fighter actually getting hit by 20 arrows and not slowing down.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

dwarf74 posted:

It's definitely sillier than Bob Fighter actually getting hit by 20 arrows and not slowing down.

That's a low bar to set.

Grog Tax:

Exalted Grog posted:

Sidereals are over powered imo anyway...

They never got decimated like the solars & lunars did...
When they exalt they get a job in heaven with benefits...
They have the most powerful martial arts...
The crap they can do with fate is just weird, confusing and nasty...
They have access to way more divine backing than any other kind of exalt period...
They have their freaky little hands in everyone's cookie jar...
They get trainers and have a easier time at life period compared to other celestial exalts...

& my ST loves them to death and they are usually the powers that be in some of his games
and end up fuckin with me and mine and i cant remember who it was because of their screwy
memory thingy thing... you ever want to kick someones rear end but didnt know who's & even if you
did they just break out prismatic arrangement of creation style and 50 form charms at once...
and your like... dude i am essence 2!!!! I exalted like 3 weeks ago... stop picking on me!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
In other news, the Eclipse Phase RPG writers got sick and tired of Men's Rights Activists making GBS threads up their site, and their lead designer issued a statement banning them from the forums and not wanting them as fans of Eclipse Phase.

Rob Boyle posted:

There have been some heated discussions on our forums over the past few months involving several self-defined "men's rights activists" (MRAs). We here at Posthuman have steered toward a low-key moderation policy in the past, but these discussions (among others) have prompted us to take on a more direct role. After some further deliberation, we've decided to just come out and make something clear.

Every single one of us at Posthuman Studios stands in support of feminism's basic principle: treating women as people. As can be gleaned from our books, we're a fairly left-wing group, and we don't hide our politics or claim to be unbiased. We believe we live in a world where patriarchy and male privilege are real, ongoing problems, and equality for all people, regardless of sex, is a worthy goal.

As a group, we at Posthuman find the politics of MRAs to be toxic, offensive, and completely removed from reality. We have also found the conduct of MRAs on our forums to be far from ideal. We do not appreciate that MRAs are driving other fans away from our forums.

We want the Eclipse Phase community to be one that is inclusive of all viewpoints, but we must draw a line when there is a viewpoint that insists on attacking and offending others as an essential aspect of its existence. We are looking forward with Eclipse Phase, not back -- towards the future, not the retrograde gender divisions of the past. No matter how MRAs may like to cloak their beliefs in the language of inclusiveness and equality, they support neither, and instead fulminate against the loss of privilege long afforded one half of society at the cost of another. Those who must attack the idea of another's equality to better preserve their own benefits are not the sort we wish to encourage. They're likely to do more harm than good in their toxic concern trolling and false equivalencies. So, we, the principles at Posthuman, are making clear our stance on the issue and the type of community to which we would like to belong.

Here's our stance: If you self-define as an MRA, please fire yourself as an Eclipse Phase fan. We don't want you. We want our forums to be open and inclusive, and we don't see the point of debating with you anymore. You have other places on the internet where you can wallow in the awfulness of your male privilege.

While we will not be actively rooting you out, be forewarned that spouting offensive MRA bullshit will get you banned from our forums.

Rob, Brian, Jack & Adam
Posthuman Studios

(Note: We actually wrote this several weeks back, and were just waiting until we had finished recruiting some new moderators to post it. The recent attacks by Elliott Rodger just reinforce our stance on this matter and MRA politics.)

Slith posted:

Hey, cool. Just heard about this, been supporting you guys for the past five years or so.
You can write me off as a customer for good now.

I don't even consider myself an "MRA" I'm about as politically moderate as you get, but you don't beat bigotry with more bigotry and intolerance - You might as well have just said you don't want blacks purchasing your game.

This isn't the company I supported five years ago.

The struggle of MRAs-just like those of black people.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

quote:

I don't support the MRA but when will the hypocrisy of we want "tolerance and inclusion" end? You can't say that and then exclude an opinion for whatever reason you come up with. Do what you want with your forum but don't try to bullshit your paying customers - that's bad business and no better than the behavior your supposedly againgst. Total bs (but nothing knew). Tolerant as long as you obey and agree.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

Um... Lee's Lists is a bunch of people here (not including me), set up as a joke and making silly amounts of money on dumb lists, and it's not really groggy at all?

grog!

quote:

Im sure as hell not buying it.

In fact I will probably get it through underhanded means, to even see if it is worth playing. They damaged my trust with 4E and they cant just get it back without proving themselves worthy of it again.

The skill system better be as simple as it was in 4E though, that was the only thing about 4E that I liked. Pathfinder and Star Wars came a little closer but they still had too many skills.

====

Im also a firm believer in Spells which cost a fixed amount of Mana, and you have a Mana pool to cast from. You can make it refresh every hour if you want to keep the spellcastors on a shorter leash, but this is what I expect from a competent game manufacturer. Its simple and straightforward and doesn't play shenanigans. Only time D&D has ever acknowledged this was with psionic power points and the spell points variant from unearthed arcana, and both were still pathetic by their complexity.

(you should have to write down both the spell chosen, and in parenthesis how much Mana it costs. This way you can have spells which are really powerful or large for a given spell level but compensate by costing more than usual)

If they want to make ME happy, they will have done this, and abandoned both their Spell Slots and Powers bull.
"They damaged my trust with 4e by changing a bunch of stuff. But what they REALLY should have done is [this thing that's even further from anything that's ever been the norm in D&D]"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Libertad! posted:

In other news, the Eclipse Phase RPG writers got sick and tired of Men's Rights Activists making GBS threads up their site, and their lead designer issued a statement banning them from the forums and not wanting them as fans of Eclipse Phase.

:mrapig: :mrapig: :mrapig: :mrapig: :mrapig:

quote:

quote:

And it spreads.

I don't consider myself an MRA but I dislike seeing this kind arbitrary censorship in the name of PC. OF course, its the companies and their to select traffic and customers. I can't say I see the point. Aside from blocking conversation on their forums I don't seem how the "firing" of MRA players will be enforced.

I guess that is their privilege as the patriarchs of their site. :D

quote:

I wonder how the saints over at Posthuman Studios will deal when one of their own gets slammed in divorce court and loses access to their children?

It's amazing how many "I never thought about Men's Rights until..." stories you hear about when hanging around in the family law circles and divorce courts.

All that "I'm pro-feminist" talk gets blown out the window when the ex-wife accuses the hubby of molesting the kids in order to maximize child support. And not just the ex-hubby. The "anti-feminist" stance expands out to family members and friends of the fathers who suffer at the hands of the divorce courts. You get grandmas, sisters and female friends in shock that courts could sever a father from his children with no evidence and thus you get MRA support.

Just like the anger by family and friends spread when they see the injustice of fathers abandoning their kids and stiffing the moms with zero child support when they are living great...which fuels lots of "MRA hate" too.

However, I do support Posthuman for trying to keep their forums focused on gaming, but their anti-MRA stance comes out of a lack of understanding of very complex, very convoluted and difficult issues. "Man bad", "Woman good" isn't useful for men or women, and especially bad for kids caught in the mosh.

quote:

quote:

Yes, apparently. I don't frequent those boards, but this was apparently initiated because a group of MRAs were starting flamewar after flamewar over there and didn't seem to be arguing in good faith.

Personally, good faith argument is fine with me unless someone is arguing for something ludicrously evil (like Nazism or NAMBLA or something). But bad faith argument frustrates the hell out of me, and it's frequently engaged in by MRAs.

Then why not ban the trouble makers than a entire view point? I've seen self labeled "feminists" doing much the same thing on some boards or any other number of movements.

quote:

As far as feminism and MRAs? Old-school radfems (especially TERFs) and MRAs sometimes have stuff in common, though that's not really a compliment to either. Liberal feminists and advocates for men's issues usually have more in common, and that is a compliment.

The problem comes in because not everyone draws the same distinctions. "MRA" is attached to anyone discussing men's issues like "Femnazi" is used to slander people interested in women's issues.

The "other side" becomes the enemy to be drown out at all cost. I don't know if Posthuman Studios is going that route but its all too common, IME. Like certain feminist groups and self styled feminists that treat it like a zero sum issue. Its difficult to cut through the bullshit from all sides

Desborough made a recent, relevant blog post, but it's not grog since it's mostly just pseudo-intellectual :words: about culture at large, peppered with very clever pop culture references. I highly recommend it if you enjoy his special brand of long-winded stupid; it's easy enough to find.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Libertad! posted:

I was just about to post that but was already beaten! Still, that site is a goldmine for MRAs apparently. :psyduck: So I looked around to the usual dredge of scum in the magic forums of mtgsalvation to see if there was anything similar:

quote:

That feminists would use a seriously mentally ill person as their biggest figure head of misogyny is such a low blow and characterizes a lot of what is wrong with feminism.

Holy poo poo. Yep.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:mrapig: :mrapig: :mrapig:

quote:

I…I don’t know how to feel. I want to say I feel cheated or outraged, but I don’t think those words fit. It’s funny how much I love writing, but at this moment can’t find the right word.

I am a huge fan of the Eclipse Phase tabletop roleplaying game. Many of my earlier posts document the very first campaign I ran in that system. I am looking at their hardcover books on my shelf right now as I write this. I watched their recent kickstarter like a hawk and gave them as much money as I could afford back then to support the production and release of Transhuman. I love this game.

After the recent events at UCSB, where a man who’s name you can Google (since he has already gotten too much fame from this) stabbed his roommates and then went on a short shooting spree, the Eclipse Phase forums released a statement detailing that, and I quote:

“If you self-define as an MRA, please fire yourself as an Eclipse Phase fan. We don’t want you. We want our forums to be open and inclusive, and we don’t see the point of debating with you anymore. You have other places on the internet where you can wallow in the awfulness of your male privilege.”

How does any of this relate to MRA’s exactly? I have been doing my research and the UCSB Killer is continually cited in articles as being an MRA (Men’s Rights Activist) or being ‘influenced’ by MRA forums. This is patently false and easily proven. He was a member of an Anti-PUA site, but never in his 140 page manifesto did he say he was an MRA. Not only that, but near the end of his manifesto, his beliefs go so far into the deep end that they don’t mesh with MRA beliefs or those of the MRA Strawmen that gets thrown around. Instead of oppressing women, as it is believed he wanted to do, he actually wanted to neuter all of humanity and remove sexuality from it.

Apparently the Eclipse Phase forums were having heated debates between MRAs and Feminists. I remember distinctly a lot of drama over a certain work of art in their most recent book a while back. It is stated in their post that they had this written up several weeks earlier and were waiting to hire some new moderators before dropping this post, but then the UCSB happened and it forced their hand and now those who type, ‘offensive MRA Bullshit’ will get banned from the forum. What counts however as ‘offensive MRA Bullshit’ is unfortunately anyone’s guess at this point. I have seen other websites follow similar codes of conduct only to go on witch-hunts banning those who even critique the idea of getting banned, or critiquing the stuff that is ban worthy.

Their message however hit me hard. I am not an MRA, but I do believe that there are issues they bring up that should be looked up. After all, both sexes are screwed up and the world wont be a better place until we fix both sides. Just like how I agreed with the first wave feminists getting the right to vote, but currently have criticism on the state of modern feminism and its habit of resorting to mob mentality and blatant hypocrisy and ignorance.

Because of this I most likely fall into the category of being worthy of getting banned on the Eclipse Phase forums, and that their message of ‘Please Fire yourself as a Fan.” is directed at me. It hurts knowing that I supported them only to be told that I as a fan am not wanted, and that I can only post on their forums if I kept my mouth silent about my viewpoints.

A part of me wants to keep playing the game, ignoring the political views of the creator, but another part of me is reminded that I supported them with my voice, my time, and my money, and now I am being told to go. When I think about that, a line often used in movies comes to my mind: “You can’t fire me, I quit.”

I don’t know what side of that I will fall on yet, but I guess I’ll know by the time their next kickstarter begins.

quote:

quote:

Posthuman Studios, makers of the pen and paper RPG Eclipse Phase, have released a statement on their forums that boils down to this one quote:

quote:

If you self-define as an MRA, please fire yourself as an Eclipse Phase fan. We don’t want you.

This is just asinine and petulant. Good show you bunch of rotten pricks.

quote:

I think they might be shooting themselves in the food. Love the game, though I’ve only ever played one session.

However, they are calling out one type of bigot, and I think it’s a slippery slope.

quote:

Let me preface this by saying that I’m a fan of Eclipse Phase and Posthuman Studios in general. However comma:
Posthuman’s singling out of MRAs is a knee-jerk reaction to the Elliot Rodger shootings, and was the absolute wrong thing to do from an ethical standpoint. I’m not going to argue that most MRA groups aren’t full of dirtbags, but there are plenty of “feminist” organizations that can be more properly classified as female supremacist organizations. Neither of these groups is interested in equality.

From another angle, I’m also not going to try and argue that inequality between the sexes doesn’t exist; it definitely exists, and it truthfully goes both ways. I agree that solving this problem should be a priority, as many of our practices stand in direct offense to the idea that all humans are created equal.

What I’m arguing is that Posthuman Studios should not have chosen a side here; they should have taken the position that they will not tolerate hateful or discriminatory behavior of any kind, from any perspective. THAT would have been a move worthy of praise.

:suicide:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh apparently it was part of a larger quote: :aaaaa: You never actually wear a fedora - you are a fedora.

quote:

I never said I related to or sympathized with his aggravation over his sexual experience. As a matter of fact, I openly cited that that was one aspect I could not relate to. That is what makes him absolutely crazy. Indeed, it also makes him interesting but crazy = interesting.

Seriously, it is sickening how feminists take every opportunity to make everything about themselves and try to reduce individuals to a one dimensional character. There is so much more to Rodger than misogyny. He was a kid who struggled to talk to people, who could not take social cues, who was bullied, who had serious social anxiety to the point of going to 3 different high schools, who took walks in the park alone because he had no one to talk to... And let's not forget that Rodger also hated men who had sex and was racist.

Rodger hardly interacted with women because of his insecurities and for the life of me could not understand how they manage to frame themselves as "victims". He wasn't a person who sexually harassed them as some women have compared him to sexual assaulters or rapists. He just never put much effort and blamed them for not interacting with him. Rodgers real victims were mostly those around who lived around him. Mostly men who were unfortunate enough to admit they had lost their virginity. Out of Rodger's murder victims, 4 were men and only 2 were women. 3 were his roommates.

I don't even think Rodger has much to his misogynistic message outside "women should have sex and fawn over me", which hardly all misogynists could relate to. Outside his constant obsession with having sex, he doesn't have much misogyny about him compared to actual misogynists with more multifaceted views about women.

And you have to give Rodger a slight pass over this (in terms of misogyny) because he was mentally ill, seeing a psychiatrist since he was 8, with other absurd viewpoints. This was a man who expected everything to be handed to him in the world so much that he believed he was destined to win the lottery. Naturally, Rodger would want to be handed sex as well. I'm not sure Rodger has the mental capacity or clarity to use him to claim as a figure of misogyny.

That feminists would use a seriously mentally ill person as their biggest figure head of misogyny is such a low blow and characterizes a lot of what is wrong with feminism.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plague of Hats posted:

Desborough made a recent, relevant blog post, but it's not grog since it's mostly just pseudo-intellectual :words: about culture at large, peppered with very clever pop culture references. I highly recommend it if you enjoy his special brand of long-winded stupid; it's easy enough to find.

D'oh'p!

Desbo-kun posted:

If you'd bothered to read properly you'd have noted I was expressing exasperation at both AVFM and GMP as they exist at polar extremes. Revenge fuelled scalpers on the other hand and timid gender quislings at the other.

I don't identify as an MHRA primarily because there's too many jackasses there who are fuelled by bitterness and revenge (hmm... much like feminism) but also because it trends to the libertarian right while my criticisms and problems with NuFem come from the anarchistic left.

In the post 'Nowhere to Abide' I'm bemoaning the fact that there is no discussion going on, that dissent to the mainstream feminist view is virtually non-existent and/or demonised and that the only available options appear to be severing ones cock and balls and offering it up to Athena, or becoming a bitter old 'MGTOW'.

EP attracted these kinds of people because there's a massive libertarian side to transhumanism, fixated upon personal liberty and autonomy and many MHRAs associate feminism with the state and transhumanism and post-scarcity culture as a way to escape into a Randian wonderland.

Cocks.

Desbo-sama posted:

Either way, this is loving stupid and if there were any consistency they'd also be banning feminists, but there isn't.

I sure wish people would stop painting with such a broad brush where the bad apples spoil the MRA bunch.

PS Ban all feminism please.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Personally, I find Posthuman Studio's behavior absolutely disgusting. They have no more ability to fire their MRA fans than I do. It's an empty gesture that they are using to gain notoriety off the deaths of innocents. As for MRA discussions on their forums, I was curious so I searched. There were three threads including the thread that spawned this thread. They made a setting that is a loving paradise for MRAs. Take a bunch of beta and delta forks of women and you have your own airhead harem. It doesn't take much to push EP into the "ick" zone.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

quote:

However, they are calling out one type of bigot, and I think it’s a slippery slope.

First they banned the misogynists, and I said nothing...
Then they banned the racists, and I said nothing...
Then they banned the homophobes, and I said nothing...
Then they banned me.

Grog Tax:

quote:

If you build your entire being, and invest your sense of self worth into some sword you found under a pile of manticore poo poo, then you deserve your mental breakdown when a rust monster eats it.

Building a D&D character around equipment? loving lame. Weapons are tools, and a good warrior uses the best of what's available in a given situation.

Once you start putting "build" resources into assuming specific equipment, there comes with it a side helping of entitlement that you will never have to be without your kewl toys or in situations where they will be of no use.

When that kind of poo poo gets ridiculous enough then you get 4E/ WOW game physics which make everything attackable at melee range because we can't have melee focused characters feeling like chumps in a ranged situation.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Getting into melee range isn't an issue since flying creatures can only "hop" in combat. Sustained flight is called overland flight and if a creature tries to so much as chew gum while overland flying it crashes.

So the traditional flyby strafe of dragons fire doesn't happen. If a dragon wants to breathe then it must land at the end of its turn.

This convention is simply stupid and exists only because there are melee focused "builds" that couldn't meaningfully contribute at missile range due to challenge level creep.

Characters must choose a basket and put all of their eggs into it in order have any real impact on anything. The world then conforms to ensure that they get to look awesome all the time
Why do people love to pretend they're experts on games they clearly haven't played?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One of the reasons I pointed this out is that my players have called BS on the simple rolling of Survival to find food and killing a creature in the process. The way I look at it, it's cheating. Creatures have hit points and saving throws, and they don't die unless those are overcome. They have free will, and won't do something suicidal unless it makes sense through their decision-making process (which is perhaps what you're suggesting; I can't tell). It's a perfectly fine sort of cheating of the sort most of us do all the time, but it's really against the, as they say, rules as intended.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
That's not what I'm suggesting, though. That is, I'm not saying a foraging ranger should roll every attack against a minor forest creature he's hunting. I'm saying that, in theory, said attack exists. If the creature died, it's because someone rolled attacks, hit its AC, and removed all its hit points, because that's how things work.

Whether we actually play that out "onscreen" as it were is an entirely different matter. I'd say that a lot of that stuff is checks that we don't bother rolling. It's in that category of rolling a Dex check to tie your shoes: you could, but why bother? Nor do I as a DM play out all the battles that have occurred in the world before the campaign started, even though I assume that they happened and that all the rules were engaged in determining their outcomes. In fact, I'd argue the appropriate resolution is for the DM to dictate the results of the hunting, with everyone understanding that the combat mechanics were in play if we really wanted to use them.

The part that is problematic to me is not the idea of forgoing the attacks, but of substituting a skill check for them. After all, if I can roll a Survival check to hunt for a deer and come back, why can't a roll a higher DC and bag a dragon? Or a human? The solution in my mind is that the skill check can't directly cause the outcome of some creature being dead. There are a variety of indirect mechanisms that could cause this outcome of course, but those weren't evident to me in the example under discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

What you are saying you read in the books literally is not in those books. You are presenting your unusual, perhaps unique house rule as RAI and RAW, and it is neither.

Here's one bit I was thinking of:

quote:

Originally Posted by DMG p. 16
Normally, NPCs should obey all the same rules as PCs. Occasionally, you might want to fudge the rules for them in one way or another (see DM Cheating and Player Perceptions, below), but in general, NPCs should live and die-fail and succeed-by the dice, just as PCs do.

Still, NPCs are people too. Don't let it be obvious that a particular character is "just an NPC", implying that what he or she does isn't as smart or important as what a PC does. While that might be true, it shouldn't seem to be true. In order to make the game world seem real, the people who populate it should act real.

The important idea is that everyone should follow the same rules. Thus, if a human ranger can go out and kill a deer with a Survival check, it would also be reasonable to expect that a Red Dragon could go out and kill a PC with a Survival check. Comparable scenarios.

Is that what you think should happen? I'm guessing if your PC died that way, you wouldn't be thrilled.

To me, the idea of killing a creature by hunting, would be (potentially) an example of where the DM might want to cheat. That is, when I go and say that the players found some food and include a living creature that was killed as part of it, I'm cheating a bit. That's the houserule. The idea of Survival not killing people is the default.

• Locked thread