Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Pacho posted:

A physician arrives at the Cour floor, where the debate was still heated, holding a feather. The King looks at it, silent and the Cour follows

I'll amend my judgment one last time but I'll let you know that, by your own choice, I'm King of all of you, loyal and traitors, and I love you like my own children even if I have to punish you. Now I'll retire to my quarters because I have to mourn and make war. Lord willing, you'll be standing by my side when it comes

*Frowns*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Pacho posted:

The Princedom of Outrejordain will be granted to Berengere of House Margrave

The king is wise, long live the king!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
e: my bad, I didn’t realize my character’s mother was in the rebellion.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 15, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:As the great lords of the ream are currently imprisoned, legislative proceedings have been suspended and the King rules as a Tyrant:siren:

Chapter 18 – The Fourth Crusade – 1178 to 1190

On an unusually chilly August morning, the ringleaders of the civil war were rounded up and gruesomely executed – not because I was cruel or sadistic, but to send a message. Those who sought to tear Jerusalem asunder would meet that same fate.

And with that, almost eighteen years of war were brought to an end. Peace was always temporary, however, and efforts were quickly undertaken to expand Jerusalem’s military infrastructure.

The decades-long project dubbed the House of Groves was also completed. The palace complex was meant as a meeting place for the Haute Cour, but with the greater part of the nobility rotting in dungeons beneath Jerusalem, it would have to serve as a passable royal residence.

The realm was at peace, tensions were easing, and gold was flowing…

But something just wasn’t right. Even as I walked the serene gardens, sounds of battle raged in my mind. Where youths sparred in the courtyard, I saw only desperate struggles for survival. As lovers shared giggles and kisses, I was haunted by friends and brothers dying on the field. I needed to get away from this… this peace.

And just then, the perfect excuse came calling.

The Pope had initially called a crusade for Greece, but envoys from eastern Catholic kingdoms convinced him to turn his attention on Asia Minor instead, where Anatolia had been overrun by the ambitious Sultan Tawfiq.

Like I said, the perfect excuse, so I promptly joined the crusade for Anatolia while simultaneously declaring a personal war for Syria. With any luck, it would be years before the fighting ceased and I had to return to Jerusalem.

The levies of Egypt and Hejaz amounted to a measly 5000 troops, but together with Jerusalemite levies, Mamluk mercenaries and Knights Hospitaller, the early months of 1180 saw an impressive 16,000 troops gathered near Tripoli.

And within weeks, scouts sighted a large Syrian army further north. We had the advantage in numbers, so a forced march and decisive battle quickly followed, the enemy forced to retreat with heavy casualties.

That army hadn’t been led by Sultan Tawfiq, however, that legendary Muslim leader was battling the Italian, German and Egyptian crusaders that had invaded his Anatolian territories.

Once word of our victory near Tripoli reached him, however, the Sultan gathered the entire strength of his empire – over 25,000 ghazi who’d fought with him since the very beginning – and marched on our positions.

Famed for his tactical brilliance and holding a decisive advantage in numbers, something had to be done to even the odds…

Messengers were dispatched to Christian spies in Syria, with orders to finally spring their plot…

Tawfiq’s towering ambition and endless wars had made him many enemies, and finally, in a fortress thought safe and secure, the greatest Muslim of his era was assassinated at the hands of his own allies and vassals.

This was a plot that had stretched across decades and suffered setbacks at every turn, but it had all been worth it, because his successor turned out to be an utter imbecile – one that was now leading 25,000 Muslims into battle against Christendom.

And we were ready to meet him, with Muslim and Christian clashing near a small town called Famia.

They still had the numbers, but we had the pick of the battlefield and the advantage in tactics – and that would make all the difference, as the infidel onslaught was met and stemmed in April, 1181. Over the course of a day’s fighting, the enemy were slowly pushed back until their line was teetering and swaying, on the verge of collapsing…

It was then, in the midst of the blood and bodies, that a hotheaded fāris led a desperate counter-charge, piercing our lines before wheeling his mount and turning… on me. A heartbeat passed and the hulking Syrian was on me, his sword crashing down.

Within moments, my knights had him surrounded and butchered, but it was already too late. The strength of his blow sent me reeling, dropping into the sand and dust with a hand clamped over my bloody face.

Fortunately, this desperate attempt to turn the tide of the battle was futile. I was blinded in an eye and severely injured, but the day ended with a Jerusalemite victory, as the broken forces of Syria fled with their Sultan at their head.

Disfigured, one-eyed and severely injured... I was barely alive, and so my son and heir, hardened by his experience in the Varangian Guard, took charge of the armies.

Under him, Jerusalem swept into Syria and pursued the infidel as far as Palmyra, where they were pinned and crushed once more.

Key fortresses and cities fell in the weeks that followed, and after his capital at Aleppo capitulated in the spring of 1183, the weak-willed Sultan Sharaf finally surrendered.

Syria, the heartland of Tawfiq and renewal of Islamdom, was broken. Sultan Sharaf was a far cry from his celebrated father, and his crushing defeats to Jerusalem were quickly followed by devastating losses in Anatolia, where the Fourth Crusade was still raging. Finally, in the winter of 1185, he admitted defeat and withdrew to Mesopotamia.

Behind him, the crusaders met in a great conclave to decide on the partition of land. The Fourth Crusade had come at an inopportune time for much of Europe, which was embroiled in plague and civil war, so the chief contributors were actually the Papal States and – surprisingly – the Nile Republic, and in return for vast sums of gold, the latter agreed to support the Pope as he proclaimed Anatolia to be part of his domain.

And with that, in the space of just seven years, the maps of the Middle East were drastically redrawn.

The news swept southward, where I was still struggling to survive the injuries suffered at Famia. It would be another year before I was fully recovered, and the only solace in those long, painful hours were found in a bottle.

Constantly in pain and stinking of infection, I was desperate to take up the sword and take the fight to the infidel. They would pay for my shattered body.

And so, with a truce still intact between Jerusalem and Iraq, I turned my sights on Rum. The Turks had managed to conquer Greece, but they were overwhelmed with pretenders and rebellions, making them the perfect target.

War was declared and 10,000 levies mustered, sailing from Jaffa in the summer of 1186.

We landed at Crete a few weeks later, and finding the Christian populace very receptive, most of the island was quickly subjugated. By the end of the year we were sailing again, this time landing near Athens, where the Turks had made their new capital.

Unfortunately, there wouldn’t be an opportunity to meet them in battle, because their Sultan was murdered in a palace coup as we approached the city. A mere boy was installed in his place, with his corrupt regents immediately surrendering Crete in return for peace.

The surrender was accepted, but my appetite for war wasn’t sated, not by a long shot. That’s when the Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller approached me with an interesting offer.

Desiring a personal domain for his knightly order, the Grandmaster offered a tidy sum of gold in return for the island of Crete. A very tidy sum…

That was immediately used to order an attempt on Sultan Sharaf’s life.

I admit, I was a bit tipsy when I gave the order... Truth be told, I only realized what I’d done when emissaries showed up at my palace a couple months later, with word of a murdered Sultan and promises of retribution.

The assassination of Sultan Sharaf, so soon after the killing of his father and losses of his western domains, finally plunged the Arab kingdom into civil war. And with a child succeeding to the sultanate, well, this was the perfect opportunity for another campaign.

Orders were given and messengers dispatched, and on the summer solstice of 1188, an army of 25,000 levies, knights and mercenaries crossed the Euphrates River, trailed by camp followers and supply trains (stocked with plenty of alcohol, of course).

A pitched battle at Bichri attempted to halt this tide of steel and iron, but the enemy was decisively defeated and thrown back.

A few days later, scouts tracked another Arab army to the north. Wasting no time, we waded into the fighting and engaged the infidel, catching them by surprise and seizing another crushing victory.

Finally, about a fortnight later, the largest of the Arab armies were sighted to the east. At a disadvantage in numbers and morale, they were engaged and routed in the twin battles of Tella and Mosul… but only at immense cost.

One-eyed and disfigured, I wasn’t exactly the picture of physical excellence, but that didn't stop me from wading into battle at any opportunity, and finally, I paid the price. Darting from duel to duel in the heavy fighting around Mosul, I finally met my match in the form of an Arab prince, who quickly left me a mangled mess.

I was dragged from the field by my Knights Solitary, and though the battle and war ended in another Christian victory, I knew it would be my last.

King Severin, Coeur de Lion to some and Tyrant to others, was dead by day's end.

Slowly but surely, the many Princes and Counts and Barons made their way to the House of Groves, to Jerusalem. Severin was dead, his heirs were scattered across the world, and they were ready to take charge once more.

Wary of the power that Severin had accumulated over the years, the nobles elected a Count of the holy land to the throne for the first time – Archambaud de Brienne. Long live the King!

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

That was a long update and there's a ton of deaths, so I'll post the Casualties tomorrow with a fully updated castpost.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

quote:

The loyal lords Geoffroy of House Marash, Jaspert of House Rammala and Sigerda of House Oegstgeest will get first choice of land and titles we gain in the future, be it diplomatically, by revoking even more unwise rebels, or in our upcoming wars, including the one with Syria

In accordance with the will of King Severin, Geoffroy of House Marash claims the Kingdom of Syria as first choice of the lands and titles conquered.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can we get a final map, please?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can we get a final map, please?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Partition of Syria

When the might of Syria was broken and all the lands west of the Euphrates were conquered, King Severin decreed that these territories be partitioned as follows:

Pacho posted:

The loyal lords Geoffroy of House Marash, Jaspert of House Rammala and Sigerda of House Oegstgeest will get first choice of land and titles we gain in the future, be it diplomatically, by revoking even more unwise rebels, or in our upcoming wars, including the one with Syria

Therefore AJ_Impy, TheFlyingLlama and Pakled can choose any titles within the Kingdom of Syria as their own, from the county of Aleppo to the kingdom itself.

The duchy-level titles are Antioch, Aleppo and Palmyra. The kingdom title is Syria, however claiming this title means that you pass out of the realm, and therefore can't use that character as your avatar in the Haute Cour.

If your claim isn't made within 24 hours, it is forfeited to the waiting list.

Next, the duchy of Mudar was conquered in holy war, and goes to the waiting list. Zikan has first rights, and if the title isn't claimed within 24 hours, it moves down the waiting list to Vinny Possum, then megane and etc.

Please detail your character's name, dynasty, culture and religion when claiming the title.

Finally, there are many counties available in the newly-conquered territories. With exception to the duchy capitals of Antioch, Aleppo and Palmyra, I'm opening all other counties to the waiting list. Make your pick, and detail your character sheet when you do.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I'll take the duchy of Aleppo

EDIT: And I guess the capital county, idk if I need to ask for that separately or what

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Baroness Sigerda will take The Duchy of Antioch (with the county of Antioch as her capital, if that's allowed)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
In the absence of an Empire title, Geoffroy of House Marash will claim The Duchy of Palmyra, with the line of House Marash Having first dibs on the Kingdom of Syria once we form an Empire. We remain loyal to Jerusalem, we remain a part of Jerusalem, now and in perpetuity.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

We remain loyal to Jerusalem, we remain a part of Jerusalem, now and in perpetuity.

Hear! Hear! A toast to we loyal survivors and the late good king Severed!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I will take the Duchy of Mudar

Name: Juicaël
Dyansty: Cornouaille
Culture: Breton
Religion: Catholic

Zikan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 19, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

AJ_Impy posted:

In the absence of an Empire title, Geoffroy of House Marash will claim The Duchy of Palmyra, with the line of House Marash Having first dibs on the Kingdom of Syria once we form an Empire. We remain loyal to Jerusalem, we remain a part of Jerusalem, now and in perpetuity.

Just a heads up, you claim now and never. A different King won't grant you these titles, and can't unless we have another tyrant, since it would need to be legislated away.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 19, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Better a Duke in Jerusalem than a King without. It is enough that the gambit was possible. Let the Kingdom title suffer the fate of that of Egypt.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

All character sheets are updated.

Casualties:

- Severin, King of Jerusalem, succeeded by Prince Svend.
- Almodis, Princess of Tripoli, succeeded by Princess Garcenda.
- Vakhtank, Prince of Galilee, succeeded by Prince Margos.
- Abianos, Prince of Ascalon, succeeded by Princess Radiya.
- Gerberge, Princess of the Sinai, succeeded by Prince Humbert.
- Humbert, Prince of Alexandria, succeeded by Prince Centule.
- Antoninu, Prince of Cairo, succeeded by Angiolina.
- Mathieu, Prince of Faiyum, succeeded by Princess Eve.
- Edda, Princess of Aswan.
- Geoffroy, Count of Aintab, succeeded by Count Richard.
- Gauthier, Count of Beersheb, succeeded by King Archambaud.
- Bohemond, Count of Al-Mafraq, succeeded by Count Louis.
- Huang, Count of Amman, succeeded by Count Fan.
- Berengere, Countess of Kerak, succeeded by Prince Barthelemi.
- Meir, Count of Bilbays, succeeded by Countess Beila.
- Julien, Count of Kolzum, succeeded by Countess Melisande.
- Leopold, Grandmaster of the Knights Hospitaller, succeeded by Grandmaster Godafres of the Knights of Krete.
- Nadbor, Doge of the Nile, succeeded by Doge Aimery.
- Przybor, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Imram, succeeded by Patrician Gontzal.
- Sieciech, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Hanri.
- Farag, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Apas.
- Mehtar, Patrician of the Nile Republic, succeeded by Patrician Habil.
- Abdul-Razzaq, Doge of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Mukhtar.
- Ragnar, Patrician of the Oresund Republic, succeeded by Patrician Frode.
- Gunnar, Patrician of the Oresund Republic, succeeded by Patrician Ezra.
- Poul, Patrician of the Oresund Republic, succeeded by Patrician

Extinguished Dynasties:

- House d’Este, as Edda d'Este was succeeded by her grandson, Prince Mathieu of Damascus, who was borne of a non-matrineal marriage with House Blaiddyd.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 20, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Thermidors are staying Mercator

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The new characters will be added to the castpost, but just to make sure

- TheFlyingLlama - Aleppo
- Pakled - Antioch
- AJ_Impy - Palmyra
- Zikan - Mudar

And it's been pointed out to me that the counties in these duchies are kinda useless, but the only other available counties are a few to the distant north, where the Prince of Edessa waged a holy war for the duchy of mesopotamia and is now a double-duke:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The Zahums are staying with Mercator Dei

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
House Mersir will remain within Mercator Dei

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Prince Richard de Marash of Palmyra will uphold his father Geoffroy's legacy in ECO.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

House Toulouse remains with ECO.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I have a lotta notes from my dad so I'm staying in the Illuminated!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Prince Svend will honor his father and will seek to further the splendor of Jerusalem in the Illuminated

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

House Cornouaille will remain with the Jerusalem Independence Party.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kolzum stays with Mercator Dei

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
:rip: Oh well, I had a good run. Re-adding myself to the waitlist.

Name: Kristof
House: van Rheineck
Culture: Dutch
Party: The Illuminated

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
House Erez Sender remains with the Illuminated as the angel has advised.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Von Margraves remain an ECO house.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Prince Humbert of Sinai joins the PRC

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Count Louis of House de l'Ours joins the PRC.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Countess Angiolina will be joining Mercator Dei.

Ignore the scribbling, that's just the tallying of accounts, yes...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Our liege is amongst the living, but given the change in the political landscape, best to make it clear: House Melikah stays with the Illuminated

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
We remain with JIP!

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Radiya ad-Daula, and everything, is Illuminated.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Hashim posted:

And it's been pointed out to me that the counties in these duchies are kinda useless, but the only other available counties are a few to the distant north, where the Prince of Edessa waged a holy war for the duchy of mesopotamia and is now a double-duke:

If there's literally no one else who wants these, could I ask that one be given to the son of my character who's in the same dynasty, just so that there's a (admittedly less profitable place than Cairo) remnant for the Torchitoriu de Ugunales? Preferably Khliat.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Jossar posted:

If there's literally no one else who wants these, could I ask that one be given to the son of my character who's in the same dynasty, just so that there's a (admittedly less profitable place than Cairo) remnant for the Torchitoriu de Ugunales? Preferably Khliat.

If nobody claims it, then sure I'll toss it your way

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Due to the Interregnum, ALL FACTION MEMBERSHIP has been reset. Please have posted in the thread since the latest update (or at least restate your preferred faction's role in the Discord (click)) to re-enter a faction.

Faction Tally leading to the 1190 Session

Mercator Dei (Economy, Merchantry)

Leader: Wali-Patrician Abu (Gigagar)
Members: Patrician Apas (Grizzwold), Patrician Hanri (Thordain), Countess Melisande (Slaan), Countess Angiolina (Jossar), Caradog Cynwrig (megane), Wali-Emir-Spymaster Majid (Ralepozozaxe), Countess Adeliza (Technowolf), Michael ben Asher (Hattie Masters), Princess Sigerda (Pakled)
# of members/votes: 10 members, 28 votes

The Illuminated (Illuminati + General Tolerance)

Leader: Prince Svend (Pacho)
Members: Princess Beila (Xelkelvos), Prince Arsenios (Rody One Half), Prince Radiya (Angstrom Gothington), Count Fan (QuoProQuid), Prince Érrard (Erwin the German), Doge Aimery II (Clayren),
# of members/votes: 7 members, 27 votes

Ecumenical Crusaders of Outremer (Expansionism & Military Spending)

Leader: Prince Richard (AJ_Impy)
Members: Princess Garcenda (Lord Cyrahzax), Prince Barthelemi (Captain Mediocre),
# of members/votes: 3 members, 16 votes

Jerusalem Independence Party (Anti-China, Imperial Jerusalem)

Leader: Princely Grandmaster Godafres (Top Hats Monthly)
Members: Prince Juicaël (Zikan), Prince Jaspert (TheFlyingLlama), Count Diogo (Frionnel),
# of members/votes: 4 members, 15 votes

Pro Regno et Civitate (Internal Realm Cohesion & Development)

Leader: Prince Mathieu (Mirdini)
Members: Prince Humbert (Flavius Aetass), Count Louis (Luhood), Prince Centule (Freudian),
# of members/votes: 4 members, 15 votes

Society for Heavenly Harmony (China-flavored Tolerance)

Leader: Prince Margos (Flesnolk)
Members:
# of members/votes: 1 member, 4 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: King Archambaud (i81icu812), Prince Fursu (sheep-dodger), Princess Eve (Obliterati), Prince Boson II (Yavuz), Countess Stephani (Snipee), Count Josselin (HiHoChiRho), Countess Peronelle (CapFalcon), Count Alderic (Soup du Jour), Captain-Advisor Haroun (Kangxi), Wali-Patrician Mukhtar (mcclay), Wali-Patrician Taimur (WilliamAnderson), Vincenç de Montségur (Vinny Possum), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebos), Jovani Giaguro (JT Jag), Bogdan Ryba (fish and chips and dip), Count Mohammed (habeasdorkus)
# of members/votes: 18 members, 48 votes

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

House FitzWalter stands with Mercator Dei