Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah I've been playing the HBS Shadowrun games after my last playthrough of POE and I really do prefer turn based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You need to be pausing the game constantly to evaluate what's going on and issue commands. Also play around with the auto-pause options to see if any clean up the experience for you.

You can make a pretty effective team of non-micro managed characters and avoid pausing a LOT. Wizards, for example, can be replaced with Ciphers to a surprising degree for less burst but more sustain (and confuse is SO useful). Chanters provide good low level healing and buffs/minions. Rangers got those modals that'll turn a blunderbuss into a funderbuss. Fighters never die anyway and are otherwise boring/hands off.

It's less.... visceral than running around with wizards and druids, but it's still very effective.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nasgate posted:

Agreed. Also Abydon, Galawain and Eothas are the only ones that actually have the interest of Kith at heart from what we've seen.

I mostly agree but I really dislike that Eir Glanfath is hosed if you don't temper Abydon.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Traxis posted:

Is there a console command to activate the level scaling in WM1? I want to head there in early act 2 to grab party members and return later and play with it upscaled. Is that possible?
Yes. The console command for upscaling WM1 is "ToggleScaler PX1_HIGH_LEVEL"
Here are all the scaler variable names.
Act3: ELMSHORE_HIGH_LEVEL
Act4: ACT4_HIGH_LEVEL
WM1: PX1_HIGH_LEVEL
WM2: PX2_HIGH_LEVEL

The "ShowScalers" command can show you which scalers are active. This console command isn't a cheatcode, so it won't affect your achievements. Only "iroll20s" will do that.
I'm not sure if activating the upscaling will affect any area you have already visited though, so be careful about which areas you load on your first visit.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 24, 2018

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Maximize Intellect.
Might and Perception are also good. Which one you'll want to prioritize will depend on what Phrases and Invocations you pick to some extent. Most likely Might, though.
You can drop Dexterity a little although I would never dump it.
Some Constitution can be nice for melee Chanters because without extra Health they can force rests annoyingly often.
So, be Kana, I guess. His stats are actually pretty close to optimal for Chanters that don't want to tank imo.

Alternatively, do this but leave Con at 10 and take the Wound Binding talent. At 10 Con baseline Wound Binding's 40% once per rest health heal is equivalent to 8 points of Constitution, IF you're only after the max health increase and don't care about max endurance or the increased fortitude defense. It's really good at keeping melee chanters who have low max health totals, but decent regeneration abilities in ancient memory/beloved spirits, from running out of health at inconvenient times.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Torrannor posted:

I mostly agree but I really dislike that Eir Glanfath is hosed if you don't temper Abydon.

Eir Glanfath's slavish devotion to the Engwithans' legacy - while having no idea what that legacy actually is - has no value and should be purged. Hopefully they as a people can make that transition without losing their culture and identity along the way. With how deeply ingrained it seems to be, though, I don't hold out much hope. The Engwithans probably doomed them in the long run.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 24, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wizard Styles posted:

How do you use the Cipher/Priest? Like, just from an order of operations point of view. Shoot from stealth, cast Priest buff(s), then spend Focus? I've never tried a multiclass like that because it just seems like you'd want to do more than you actually have time for.

The way it's setup now is my Cipher/Priest is also my scout so she'll get into sneak mode, approach the enemies, alpha strike with her Arquebuse and run back. The pack is then intercepted by the front-liners. She then casts Blessing pretty quickly and then does whatever is best depending on the situation - usually an Eyestrike or a Mental Binding if somebody slept through the cracks. I gave her Arms Bearer and it's pretty fun to chain shoot poo poo initially but I've realized that 1) it takes a lot more micro management (I sometimes forget if I switched her to her third set of guns) 2) That generally gives me too much focus anyway.

It's probably not super optimal but it's pretty fun to play so far.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Furism posted:

The way it's setup now is my Cipher/Priest is also my scout so she'll get into sneak mode, approach the enemies, alpha strike with her Arquebuse and run back. The pack is then intercepted by the front-liners. She then casts Blessing pretty quickly and then does whatever is best depending on the situation - usually an Eyestrike or a Mental Binding if somebody slept through the cracks. I gave her Arms Bearer and it's pretty fun to chain shoot poo poo initially but I've realized that 1) it takes a lot more micro management (I sometimes forget if I switched her to her third set of guns) 2) That generally gives me too much focus anyway.

I've always liked the idea of the "brace of pistols" style of fighting and you're making me think that a cipher multiclassed with a martial class (fighter, ranger, and rogue would all work well I bet) is probably a great fit for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Also, if you're supposed to pause every time anything happens then I don't see why the games couldn't just be turn-based, but I guess that's my own pet peeve and it's neither here nor there v:v:v

The beauty of RTwP that you can play it like a turn-based with constant pauses, but once you get a handle on things, you can play it as fast as you would like, but in a turn based game you always stuck playing on slow-motion mode.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Turn-based is only slow-motion if the developer makes it that way with a bunch of padded animations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Everyone acting at the same time makes a rtwp game flow very differently even if you did pause every “turn”.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

The only problem with this is that arquebus/blundy/pistol doesn't leave you a non-Piercing damage type option.

oh and as awesome as this is

It would probably be more legible if gold paint was used instead of white paint

Your Computer posted:

It's still a lot to process :shobon: It doesn't help that so far the game has been easy enough that even with the dozens of options available to me, just clicking the enemies and auto-attacking them seems to be enough to end most encounters without too much issue. I just feel like the game hasn't been very good at introducing/explaining mechanics or teaching the combat.

Also, if you're supposed to pause every time anything happens then I don't see why the games couldn't just be turn-based, but I guess that's my own pet peeve and it's neither here nor there v:v:v

The trick is having a few characters (usually fighter, ranger, chanter etc. types) who you can just park on autoattack and not really do much with, so you're only actually micro'ing a few specific characters (wizard, priest, cipher).

the real reason is that turn-based is an inherently superior design structure BUT nostalgia for prior RTwP games was a primary funding driver in the initial kickstarter.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 24, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Your Computer posted:

Because RTwP and Turnbased are two completely different things entirely and the notion of just making it turnbased because you find pausing it annoying makes no drat sense.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I, personally, do not believe turn based is inherently better. It’s just different. I do prefer RTwP personally because then the combat is just tactical as turn based but I can dictate the pace.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Avalerion posted:

Everyone acting at the same time makes a rtwp game flow very differently even if you did pause every “turn”.

There are turn-based systems where actions are executed simultaneously, although they don't seem to be very common in the RPG genre.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

chaosapiant posted:

I, personally, do not believe turn based is inherently better. It’s just different. I do prefer RTwP personally because then the combat is just tactical as turn based but I can dictate the pace.

I enjoy both, and which one I prefer seems to change every month or so :shrug:

It'd be cool to see what PoE could've looked like with a turn-based combat system, but I'm not mad at what we got.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

I enjoy both, and which one I prefer seems to change every month or so :shrug:

greetings future arcanum fan

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only problem with this is that arquebus/blundy/pistol doesn't leave you a non-Piercing damage type option.

That is indeed the curse of ranged characters :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Furism posted:

give me a handcannon that fires cannonballs
e: what am I saying I can give that to myself, hold on

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

Turn-based is only slow-motion if the developer makes it that way with a bunch of padded animations.

So every turn based game ever then? Turn-based always results in time wasted watching the screen instead of playing the game.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Exactly, I can always make RTwP slower, I cant speed up Turn Based.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The fire emblem games for example just let you autoskip the animations, and you can just opt to skip through the enemies turn entirely.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Turn-based always results in time wasted watching the screen instead of playing the game.

Unlike constantly pausing? :confused:

Also it's not like turn-based has to mean "input all player actions - wait for all enemy actions". Even in a game like this, everything happens in a certain order (for example, if two attacks hit an enemy at the same time they have to be calculated one after the other) and that could be your turn order. I think FFX had a system sorta like that, where faster characters essentially got more turns.

Anyway I didn't mean for this to derail, like I said it was just a dumb thought I had. Didn't know it was a can of worms :v:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No? You pause when you need to input commands - that’s playing the game. :)

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

:thunk:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

calling it now
beast of winter is going to be survival focused and introduce supply management for the zone
seeker slayer survivor is going to be either combat arena or bounties
forgotten sanctum is going to kill another archmage

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I am extremely down with figuring out more of Rymrgand's deal, he's always seemed like an oddball of the pantheon.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

calling it now
beast of winter is going to be survival focused and introduce supply management for the zone
seeker slayer survivor is going to be either combat arena or bounties
forgotten sanctum is going to kill another archmage

lol

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-2-dlc

pcgamesn posted:

Beast Of Winter launches in July, and takes you to an island inhabited by a mysterious doomsday cult who are hiding an ancient secret. You'll also get to explore The Beyond, a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and devilish challenges.

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor drops in September, and is a combat-focused expansion set on an undiscovered island. Your party's martial prowess will be tested, as will your skills as a commander, in a mission to wrest ancient relics from the grip of Eora’s most skilled and savage.

The Forgotten Sanctum will be available in November 2018, and will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? Your decision will ripple across the Deadfire Archipelago.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lt. Danger posted:

That is to say that turn based is slow motion if the game’s to have marketing appeal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

not found "an expansion that allows you to craft your own islands for unlimited adventure potential"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Yep. See Slay the Spire for a good example of fast turn-based combat. I think turn based RPGs are hampered by the expectations set by their ancestors where you've gotta have incredibly flashy attacks every time, but, realistically, the utilitarian presentation of something like Slay the Spire does just fine and doesn't unnecessarily slice away at your time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Your Computer posted:

Unlike constantly pausing? :confused:

Also it's not like turn-based has to mean "input all player actions - wait for all enemy actions". Even in a game like this, everything happens in a certain order (for example, if two attacks hit an enemy at the same time they have to be calculated one after the other) and that could be your turn order. I think FFX had a system sorta like that, where faster characters essentially got more turns.

Anyway I didn't mean for this to derail, like I said it was just a dumb thought I had. Didn't know it was a can of worms :v:

A couple of things that should help get used to combat:

1. Go into your options and set combat speed to "slow."
2. Set the game to auto-pause on enemy sighted, secret found, and trap found. You can select anything else you want to, but those will stop the game whenever you need to make a decision.
3. There are a few basic AI routines you can assign to your team, use them.
4. Play on easy (but not story or you won't learn anything) and just take your time going through the motions and learning the spells.

As mentioned above, certain classes are more micro intensive than others. Fighters and other martial classes tend to do fine on auto pilot, so let them go unless you want to jump in and use their abilities. Eder's knockdown is a great one to practice with. Learn what engagement is. And lastly, take a look at your spells and see what looks interesting. Don't worry too much about stats and numbers at this point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

No just gun characters

Bows do slash/pierce now, and sceptres do crush/slash, so it's just guns that get forked over by damage types. What I generally did in the beta was go dual blunderbuss / quarterstaff, but I might grab arms bearer and go arquebus / blunderbussi / quarterstaff. Pity you can't take Quick Switch as a Cipher.

What I'm hearing is

quote:

Beast Of Winter launches in July, and takes you to an island inhabited by a mysterious doomsday cult who are hiding an ancient secret. You'll also get to explore The Beyond, a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and devilish challenges.

Honest Hearts?

quote:

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor drops in September, and is a combat-focused expansion set on an undiscovered island. Your party's martial prowess will be tested, as will your skills as a commander, in a mission to wrest ancient relics from the grip of Eora’s most skilled and savage.

Dead Money?

quote:

The Forgotten Sanctum will be available in November 2018, and will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? Your decision will ripple across the Deadfire Archipelago.

Old World Blues?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No just gun characters

Bows do slash/pierce now, and sceptres do crush/slash, so it's just guns that get forked over by damage types. What I generally did in the beta was go dual blunderbuss / quarterstaff, but I might grab arms bearer and go arquebus / blunderbussi / quarterstaff. Pity you can't take Quick Switch as a Cipher.

Ugh.

Is pierce still the most resisted damage type? I'm getting the feeling that someone on the dev team really doesn't like guns.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

On the other hand everything is moddable now so w/e.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Zore posted:

Ugh.

Is pierce still the most resisted damage type? I'm getting the feeling that someone on the dev team really doesn't like guns.

Uhhh I don't think the dev team would give the ability to PIERCE THE VEIL to a weapon type they weren't fond of...

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

bongwizzard posted:

Exactly, I can always make RTwP slower, I cant speed up Turn Based.

That's not the only difference between RTwP and Turn-based. In TB you have to think about all the possible moves the enemies will make at once and you can't react to each of them as they happen. It takes much more planification than RTwP where you just react to each action as it happens.

Both are great, and I love that PoE is RTwP, but I also love XCOM (especially XCOM2). One isn't inherently and objectively superior to the other, they both have qualities, they are just different kind of gameplay.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dairy Power posted:

Uhhh I don't think the dev team would give the ability to PIERCE THE VEIL to a weapon type they weren't fond of...

Yeah that was true in like the PoE1 beta and literally every change to the first game after that nerfed the crap out of guns.

And they got exactly 0 interesting uniques or soulbound weapons. Also incredibly few uniques overall.

There are 3 unique Arquebus for instance and one of them is just a 'fine' enchantment and one just has 'reliable'. :effort: Then you get things like Powder Burns which is just a lol 'capstone' ability, especially when it was competing against Twinned Arrows. And the way Durgan Steel worked meant it did literally nothing for guns.

Considering they made damage type immunities/resistances more common in 2 and the fact that all other ranged weapons got a bonus damage type and guns are all stuck with just pierce, I forsee that trend continuing.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Zore posted:

Yeah that was true in like the PoE1 beta and literally every change to the first game after that nerfed the crap out of guns.

And they got exactly 0 interesting uniques or soulbound weapons. Also incredibly few uniques overall.

There are 3 unique Arquebus for instance and one of them is just a 'fine' enchantment and one just has 'reliable'. :effort: Then you get things like Powder Burns which is just a lol 'capstone' ability, especially when it was competing against Twinned Arrows. And the way Durgan Steel worked meant it did literally nothing for guns.

Considering they made damage type immunities/resistances more common in 2 and the fact that all other ranged weapons got a bonus damage type and guns are all stuck with just pierce, I forsee that trend continuing.

Well, let's be fair. The very first unique you run across in the game is a gun :smuggo:

Edit: Also, just to be safe: I was joking about the pierce the veil thing. They really hyped that up in the kickstarter and such, but it was such a non-issue in 99% of fights.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

It's just the curse of guns. I think Hunting Bows and War Bows are now best of Pierce/Slash and at least two of the implements have best of damage.

• Locked thread