Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

One youtube video shows an SXM fence surfer standing behind a jet when it is taking off. The genius then loses their grip on the fence due to jet blast, falls down and cracks their head against a cement road barrier. They must have been liquored up. There are warning signs everywhere not to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
27 years ago today, comrades!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Loving that kid with the toy gun.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Boomerjinks posted:

27 years ago today, comrades!

And 25 years ago he stabbed a female co-worker for rejected him. 13 years since he was caught for shoplifting and 9 years since the last fraud conviction. Kid was loving lucky with that failed suicide.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sir Cornelius posted:

And 25 years ago he stabbed a female co-worker for rejected him. 13 years since he was caught for shoplifting and 9 years since the last fraud conviction. Kid was loving lucky with that failed suicide.

Seriously, reading his story about that flight, there were at least 10 times he should've been shot down. And of course, landing on that bridge the one day all the utility wires were taken down for repair/replacement.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jealous Cow posted:

There's a video of this approach where they go to go-around power right at the fence and it fucks some people's poo poo up.

...and yet you didn't post it? For shame. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
reminder:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

oops

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Then an F-4 got jealous and did it:

And then there's this rear end in a top hat :pwn:

Just kidding it was asymmetric tests

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Silly airplane, hand signals are for the road, not planes.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I was at Roll Out 2014 in Västerås, Sweden last weekend and

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Groda posted:

I was at Roll Out 2014 in Västerås, Sweden last weekend and

North Korean super secret rocket revealed.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
D:pwn:NG

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

N:pwn:t-S:pwn:-L:pwn:ng-D:pwn:ng

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Actually, NG-D, the 'tail number' on the right is always reverse order.

e: Which is 604 Squadron ('NG'), Aircraft 'D', 604 being Royal Auxillary Air Force "County of Middlesex" based in Hendon

And it's a "fake spitfire" with a US engine (Merlin 266) that was regarded as a bag of poo poo at the time.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 29, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SybilVimes posted:

Actually, NG-D, the 'tail number' on the right is always reverse order.

Still says DONG on the side of the plane, what kind of twelve year old are you?

brains
May 12, 2004

with enough thrust, anything will fly :911:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

What was photoshopped out of the sky? Lots of smudge tool under the plane.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

PhotoKirk posted:

What was photoshopped out of the sky? Lots of smudge tool under the plane.

Given the pattern, probably someone wrote on the photo with a marker or something when they sent it to a friend.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

One of these episodes took place on 23 August 1960; a Crusader with the wings folded took off from Napoli Capodichino in full afterburner, climbed to 5,000 ft (1,500 m) and then returned to land successfully. The pilot, absent minded but evidently a good "stick man," complained that the control forces were higher than normal. Also evidently and collectively absent minded, but performing as a team up to a fault, the ground crew helped the ace pilot to his most momentous stint.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Still a longer wingspan than the F-104

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

And then there's this rear end in a top hat :pwn:

I like that rear end in a top hat. It's loving laughing at the F-35 from the future.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm headed towards Hungary/Czech Rep, and possibly Poland, old soviet-bloc countries; are there any particularly interesting aerospace museums (or better! boneyards) full of strange cold-war relics I can't see anywhere else in the world?

Something like this: http://englishrussia.com/2010/12/03/aircraft-graveyard-not-far-from-moscow/

I would settle for a bunch of MIG-21s or whatever, or a Tupolev Tu-95. Anything crazy worth seeing?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

If you are near krakow, poland: http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/indexen.php

They have Pope John Paul II's chopper there atm apparently.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, this is a long-shot, but I figured I'd ask here. I'm in Detroit, and a little jet I couldn't identify just zipped over the house. About the size of a bizjet, straight wings with something like narrow pods or tanks on the tips, V-tail, no visible engines but I got the impression that it/they were mounted below the tail. It was dark colored, maybe blue. It was heading roughly south-southwest, so in the direction of City Airport. I know that's not a lot to go on, but does anyone have any idea what it could have been?

Also, apropos of nothing, it must have been low approach day at DTW last night, 'cause I'm about 30 miles from the airport and two or three liners came in so low over my house it sounded like they were gonna land in my street.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, this is a long-shot, but I figured I'd ask here. I'm in Detroit, and a little jet I couldn't identify just zipped over the house. About the size of a bizjet, straight wings with something like narrow pods or tanks on the tips, V-tail, no visible engines but I got the impression that it/they were mounted below the tail. It was dark colored, maybe blue. It was heading roughly south-southwest, so in the direction of City Airport. I know that's not a lot to go on, but does anyone have any idea what it could have been?

Also, apropos of nothing, it must have been low approach day at DTW last night, 'cause I'm about 30 miles from the airport and two or three liners came in so low over my house it sounded like they were gonna land in my street.

Fouga Magister is a V-tail trainer with straight wings and engines in the wing roots and wingtip tanks. There are quite a few of them in the US.

Much longer shot would be a Cirrus Vision.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

^^^I'm not so sure of that; sure there are a number of Magisters out there but it is exceedingly unlikely, as is the Vision SF50. Gonna go with T-tails on this one.

If it had big tip tanks and a short, fat wing it was a Learjet. If it had small tanks and a (relatively) long and thin wing, it was probably an Eclipse 500.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 31, 2014

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

This beauty flew the Japanese soccer team into Tampa on Friday to play a friendly match here against Costa Rica. Unfortunately, the right wingtip clipped one of the ARFF trucks doing the water salute and broke off the wingtip so it's stuck here until they fix it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The only v-tail business jets I can think of are the Cirrus SF50 and the Eclipse 400, neither of which are in active service.

The straight wing made me think of some Cessna Citations, and the tip tanks made me think of Learjets, though tip tanks can be fitted to all sorts of airplanes.

quote:

30 miles out is a bit far for them to be too terribly low. Maybe weather was causing diversions or an unusual runway configuration you don't normally get around there?

Slo-Tek posted:

Fouga Magister is a V-tail trainer with straight wings and engines in the wing roots and wingtip tanks. There are quite a few of them in the US.

I think this is an excellent guess as well, I didn't know of it previously.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 31, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

It was definitely a V-tail, I know the difference between a V and a T at a glance, and this was pretty low and I got a good look at it. Also, it didn't have side-mounted nacelles, the fuselage was a long, smooth pointy oval shape, like the Magister's. It may have been a Magister, it looks about right. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a Magister kicking around here, there's all kinds of weirdo aircraft squirreled away at City or over at Willow Run.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

30 miles out is a bit far for them to be too terribly low. Maybe weather was causing diversions or an unusual runway configuration you don't normally get around there?

Yeah, 30 miles is pretty far out. It was a clear night with good visibility, though. It could have been something weird with the wind that just made it sound really low. It was loud and distinct enough that I could hear both the general jet noise and that high-pitched whistle/whine (compressor?) that some engines make. I'm not too up on the internals of jet engines unfortunately, so I can't describe the sound as well as I'd like.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Yeah, 30 miles is pretty far out. It was a clear night with good visibility, though. It could have been something weird with the wind that just made it sound really low. It was loud and distinct enough that I could hear both the general jet noise and that high-pitched whistle/whine (compressor?) that some engines make. I'm not too up on the internals of jet engines unfortunately, so I can't describe the sound as well as I'd like.

What cardinal direction are you from Detroit Metro?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We've been discussing it in the Space Thread and I thought it could deserve a repost here because hey, it has (3d printed titanium alloy) landing engines!

SpaceX Dragon V2. A spaceship for the 21st Century. Seats seven astronauts and has a fold-down touchscreen control display for the pilot.

The unveiling event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQrmDoIRO8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That's neat and all, but on the other hand it's SpaceX. I don't have much respect for them or their snivelling little bitch of a founder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Those controls don't look very sturdy.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

What cardinal direction are you from Detroit Metro?

Northeast.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hrm, not so sure really. Regardless of Detroit Metro's traffic flow, everyone should be at least 6,000ft MSL in that area, which isn't super high but not low enough to really cause a lot of noise either, plus arrivals would presumably be at a lower power setting than departures, and departures should be on their way up to cruise by that point.

Maybe some spurt of traffic going into Oakland County airport (PTK)?

It's just fun to speculate but I have no idea :)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nah, PTK is really small - bizjets, cessnas, TV station choppers, stuff like that. It may have been heading to City (DET). I'm about a stone's throw from City and they can handle big planes, although they don't get a lot of traffic.

You're right though, it's fun to speculate. Especially about something mundane like this. There's a fair amount of air traffic over our house, which allows me and my oldest daughter to sit in the back yard and do some planespotting, so I'm always curious about where these aircraft are going to/coming from.

poo poo, PTK isn't the airport I was thinking. I got it confused with VLL (Oakland-Troy). I used to work at a photo studio that backed up to VLL, and that's the airport I always think when someone talks about Oakland Co Airport.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 31, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
May I suggest a laptop and flightradar24 or flightaware or something similar?

Take a look at your local sectional charts on skyvector or the approach plates for your local airport and you'll have a better handle on how traffic flows in from different J routes and merges into the approach pattern(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh, I'll definitely check that out. It'll go great with the Live ATC app and the antique MonitorRadio I use to listen to aircraft radios.