Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

We did well in our first attempt, so let's keep that winning streak going!

Oh yeah we're in a time loop apparently. This is Anime Werewolf Groundhog Day, sort of.

Music: Suspicion

This time we're starting out in Main Control. This is where most of our loops will dump us.

We've got the same five people as before, and as before there is just one Gnosia. Therefore, it makes sense to assume that SQ is Gnosia again and we can just ditch her and move on...

...but this would be a pretty boring game if things were that simple! We know we're not Gnosia, but any of the other four, including SQ, could be Gnosia.

Apparently not... In that case, any of us, including me, could be infected.
What about everyone except for me being Gnosia? Is that a possibility?

You asked what we should do now.
Well... There are general procedures for instances of Gnosia infection. I think we should follow them. As you know, Gnosia infectees eliminate a single human each time we warp. So... Before we warp, we suss out one suspect... The person most likely infected will be put into cold sleep.

You ask what happens if we are unable to put the Gnosia into cold sleep.

Well, what if the one to suggest this "better way" was Gnosia? We'd end up falling right into the enemy's trap.

You asked what Setsu means by "compromise".
Once Gnosia infection has been detected onboard... LeVi is no longer obligated to ensure the survival of the crew. Conversely...

Hm... So whether we live or die is left up to an AI? Well this is certainly cause for concern.

You stated that you understand the situation.

So like, we just need to vote for whoever's like, sketchiest, then?
Well, since we don't have a better plan, this will have to do for now.

So...it looks like there are no objections. LeVi, can you approve the procedure I just described?

OK then, let's get started. We have to find our enemy... the Gnosia.

Do you have all that? This is basically the justification of why we have to play Werewolf to eliminate the Gnosia. Or at least, this is according to Setsu.

Though if Setsu was Gnosia, of course they wouldn't want to bring up better methods of exposing the Gnosia...

Anyway, things are about to start as usual, but first let's go ahead and get this one little question out of the way. It'd make sense to know what the hell our enemy is before we fight it.

You asked what Gnosia is.

The alien lifeform, Gnos...
Apparently nothing much is known about this Gnos. Some say it's an unknown intelligent lifeform, others say it's a god from another dimension... It's all speculation.

Oh, Raqio.

Anyway, there's little known about Gnos and the lifeforms it affects and turns into Gnosia. All we know is that Gnosia are the enemies of humankind, and thus we must stop them.

I don't have a single reason to trust Cassidy, personally.

Round 2 is Gina putting our trust in us. We don't have to say thanks, but it's the polite thing to do.

And of course Setsu also joins in on trusting us.

As fun as it would be to have people keep telling us how awesome we are, it's time to go on the offensive. Raqio is acting very aggressive towards us, which could very well be a Gnosia tactic to take the heat off themself. Let's get this taken care of.

Riiight?! Raqio is sooo suspicious.

So we've started to add some doubt onto Raqio. Only one round left, and no need to keep laying it on and make people suspicious of us, so...

So, I guess I'm in the way, huh?
Setsu isn't the one we should be suspecting right now. I mean, come on... really?

The last part is Gina casting suspicion on Setsu, though Raqio isn't buying it.

Of course, there's no real info to take advantage of in this first night, at least for now, so we're all just kinda going with our guts.

And we have our first tie! Which means a revote!

In case of a tie, we get an extra two rounds of debate. We can only vote between the people who tied, in this case SQ and Raqio. With larger groups of ties, the suspected can still vote, but here it's pointless since SQ and Raqio will just vote for each other (and no, you can't vote for yourself).

Raqio... Yes, Raqio. Something certainly feels strange.
You stated that you too had been doubting Raqio.
Huh... Are you really doubting me?
I've got Raqio's back. If you're gonna go after Raqio, then I'm gonna push back.

So far, seems like Raqio and Setsu are allies for now. SQ and we are against Raqio, leaving Gina as the swing vote...

Oh, so like, it's all on me now...?
Personally... I want to trust SQ over Raqio.
You stated that you too trust SQ.

That said, it's looking like Gina's gonna join our side.

Music: Voting

And unsurprisingly, it's Raqio that's going to the fridge.

Again.

You can say goodbye to people voted into cold sleep. It doesn't seem to do anything, but again, if you're feeling nice, or want to pretend you're being sarcastic, it's an option.

At any rate, Raqio's taken care of.

At this point, LeVi's going to give us a nice guided tour of the ship. Might as well learn more about this ship we'll be hanging out in for awhile!

Music: Enjoying My Routine

Here you can enjoy different types of indoor recreation. If you have any requests, I can generate equipment immediately.

I feel like all of us here are pretty big fans of games, so let's go with those!

You replied that you like video games.
Ah, in that case... How about this game?

Pressing the buttons will cause dopamine to be released inside your brain.
Depending on how you press the buttons, you can experience many different types of pleasure. Experts have called this the greatest game ever to...

Alright, shall we move to a different room?

Here in the cafeteria, the crew can take meals as they please.

I envision Cassidy as being a Ramen fan myself.

You replied that you like ramen.

Unfortunately, there is no time to eat right now. If you like, I can show you around the lower floor.

LeVi seems friendly enough for an AI.

The lower floor contains environmental maintenance facilities and interstellar travel equipment. It's known as the heart of this ship, the D.Q.O.

One of the other crew mates happens to be here, it seems...

Music: Remind Me

You know, we've learned a good bit about Setsu, SQ, and even Raqio, but Gina's been mostly in the background. Now's a good time to learn a bit more about her.

You joked that you're the Gnosia.

For instance, we've learned that she's not a big fan of dumb jokes.

Raqio has gone to sleep... I made sure of it.

If our plan for cold sleep were to fail, if the Gnosia were to take over this ship... What would they do?

Some infectees show tendencies for extreme violence. Others use humans to satisfy their animalistic instincts. There are many cases that even I, as an AI, wish that I could erase from the records in my memory...

So yeah, we probably don't want the Gnosia to get away with taking over the ship. Maybe it's best to reassure Gina.

You stated that it will be OK.
I hope...

Cassidy, Gina. It is almost time to warp. Please return to your respective rooms.

This Gnosia... I think I may know who it is...

What makes her so sure?

At any rate, I guess we'll find out. And at least this time we know for sure that SQ didn't repeat as a Gnosia!

This also means that Raqio wasn't Gnosia either, since the loop hasn't ended yet. Therefore, it must be Gina or Setsu...

Music: Suspicion

Please listen to what I have to say.

Well, Gina seems convinced she knows who the Gnosia is. Which, to be fair, is probably going to be Setsu if she trusts us enough to fill us in on her plan, but let's hear her out anyway.

So last night, before we warped... I configured the equipment to examine Setsu's dimensional waves. These can be analyzed during the warp.

And now we learn about this game's first role, the Engineer. There's only one, and they can choose a person each night before warp to determine if they're human or Gnosia.

LeVi... Can you confirm that I am the Engineer?

But you can't confirm that it was me?
That's correct... It is possible the crew members' personal data has been corrupted, so I am not able to confirm whether said Engineer credentials are yours or not.
OK, I see... Well then... Cassidy.

So even though Gina has claimed to be the Engineer, she may not actually be the Engineer. Thus...we've gained no new useful knowledge whatsoever. Either Gina is right and Setsu is the Gnosia, or Gina is lying and thus she is Gnosia. So, the exact same situation as before, and we're pretty much stuck on which we trust more.

While this report is useless for this loop, the Engineer Report is incredibly useful for keeping track of who pointed out what in larger loops. It's one of your handiest tools in sussing out Gnosia.

The top-left part shows that Gina reported that Setsu was Gnosia. It doesn't mean that Setsu actually is Gnosia, just that they were reported as one.

Anyway, it's time to make our decision. Gina or Setsu? Both are suspicious. Setsu was a lot more aggressive in helping us out during the first loop, while here not so much. They also allied with Raqio, who was pretty aggressive against us, and only covered us after Gina did. Meanwhile, Gina has been against Setsu from the start, even before she made her report, but was it all a ploy to fool us into joining her side? Is Gina capable of such deceit...?

There's no good answer, but I do think Gina may actually be honest here. Setsu may have saved us before, but that doesn't mean Setsu may not be Gnosia again, and that they may have their own agenda going on...

We're given the option to skip to the vote, but I don't see the point here. There's a very small chance we could learn more information from these last two rounds. Unlikely, but you never know...

Apparently I seem suspicious.
You refuted the doubts against Gina.

That said...

Setsu is lying. I can tell.

We don't learn anything new of substance.

Well, all we can do is go with our gut. Goodbye, Setsu.

That's the end of the loop. Either Setsu was Gnosia and the humans win, or Setsu was human and the Gnosia equals humans left.

Music: The Silver Key

You believed me when I said I was the Engineer.

You replied that you're grateful as well.

Alright, I'll be going back to my room.

Well, looks like we did it. Setsu was Gnosia, and humans win again. We're getting pretty good at this!

Oh dammit. I hosed up!

There are times where a character says something, and then something triggers to show the character is lying. Higher Intuition triggers the probability of this happening more often, but even then it's a weird stat where you kinda have to go all-or-nothing on it. Also, other characters have their own stats, but we won't get to see those for awhile.

Anyway, it turns out SQ was the Engineer and Gina played me like a fiddle. Well done, Gina! Never forget that Gnosia can also claim to be the Engineer.

Oh well, maybe next loop things will work out better! Until then!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU