Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

For the uninitiated, what stereotype are those guys in the penultimate panel?

It's a group of morris dancers. They are the embodiment of Englishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Thank you for that, here is the funniest one imo

And 8 Ace was brilliant. I remember seeing the first one and just knew it was going to be a classic.

I'm guessing its a cultural thing, but I don't get any of these comics you guys are linking from the UK. I wouldn't think that something commonly funny in a country could be niche humor but I think it qualifies.

Kinda like the Dutch or what ever those comics were back on page 6 or 7 that required a translation from the poster.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kasan posted:

I'm guessing its a cultural thing, but I don't get any of these comics you guys are linking from the UK. I wouldn't think that something commonly funny in a country could be niche humor but I think it qualifies.

Kinda like the Dutch or what ever those comics were back on page 6 or 7 that required a translation from the poster.

That one in particular is poking fun at readers of the Daily Mail.

The equivalent here in the States is Fox News watchers. Replace all the various Eastern European ethnicities with Mexicans, Muslims, and African Americans and you'd be spot on, pretty much.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
As Pilchenstein said, Viz is very up and down. Their quality control department must look like the Drunken Bakers shop. Most of the crap jokes are just silly puns, though. I have a soft spot for them, and own the original for 'Would you like to see the specials?' (Sorry for the crap photo. Of a crap joke. It's all I have on this computer.)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Kasan posted:

Did you seriously not understand the drunk bakers strips?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kasan posted:

The last one wasn't very funny, just mildly humorous. :thejoke:: Man is hell of racist, thinks everyone he meets is a monstrous minority even though they're not (:newlol:), the most unmistakably British ones (in British folk dress) mug him but he still blames it on dirty foreigners (:newlol::newlol::newlol:)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Heresiarch posted:

Did you seriously not understand the drunk bakers strips?

To be fair, the humor is extraordinarily dark. Good god.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kasan posted:

I'm guessing its a cultural thing, but I don't get any of these comics you guys are linking from the UK.
I guess you're lucky I couldn't find "Garry Bushell the Bear" or "Robin Hood and Richard Littlejohn" then. :colbert:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

To be fair, the humor is extraordinarily dark. Good god.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

The last one wasn't very funny, just mildly humorous. :thejoke:: Man is hell of racist, thinks everyone he meets is a monstrous minority even though they're not (:newlol:), the most unmistakably British ones (in British folk dress) mug him but he still blames it on dirty foreigners (:newlol::newlol::newlol:)

Huh, I thought the joke was that he'd actually been attacked by Albanians in traditional garb but because he was a racist shithead no one believed him. I guess I don't know what the gently caress traditional British folk dress looks like, I also didn't find any of the drunken bear strips funny though, so I guess I'm just a humorless prick. I'm okay with this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

whoda thunkit posted:

Huh, I thought the joke was that he'd actually been attacked by Albanians in traditional garb but because he was a racist shithead no one believed him. I guess I don't know what the gently caress traditional British folk dress looks like, I also didn't find any of the drunken bear strips funny though, so I guess I'm just a humorless prick. I'm okay with this.

Albanians called Fred and Bert.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is like... actual comedy. Are you sure it's from Viz?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I'd never heard of Viz until I went to a UK-cuisine restaurant/pub in NYC called the Chip Shop whose bathroom walls are plastered with covers from it. Glad to see it has its moments; those covers looked pretty godawful.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I've read viz when I visited the uk. I also find the idea of a man with a hitler stache getting attacked by people in traditional Albanian dress really, really funny, so that is a good alternate ending.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I've read viz when I visited the uk. I also find the idea of a man with a hitler stache getting attacked by people in traditional Albanian dress really, really funny, so that is a good alternate ending.

Oh come on don't :hitler: this up that's clearly not a Hitler moustache.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Viz is very much supposed to be awful, and it is very very British. If the humour isn't gallows-black it's a simple cock and balls/poo poo/fat slags joke. That's who we are as a people.

The drunken baker strips are phenomenal, keep posting!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lenoon posted:

Viz is very much supposed to be awful, and it is very very British. If the humour isn't gallows-black it's a simple cock and balls/poo poo/fat slags joke. That's who we are as a people.

Yes but it's also mostly incredibly tedious.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes but it's also mostly incredibly tedious.

That's who we are as people!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

lenoon posted:

The drunken baker strips are phenomenal, keep posting!

I love two fat slags. I'm not supposed to, but I do

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

lenoon posted:

It;s also a pardoy of both a) very British things and b) classic British comics - so if you aren't familar with them, you aren't going to pick up a lot of a humour.

Leon Black
Sep 2, 2004

Say whaaaat?

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I love two fat slags. I'm not supposed to, but I do

You'll love this then, they made a movie! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382028 :(

Content: Kate Beaton!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

It;s also a pardoy of both a) very British things and b) classic British comics - so if you aren't familar with them, you aren't going to pick up a lot of a humour.

Classic British comics are usually also very very bad.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Classic British comics are usually also very very bad.

Well, they're no confession bear, I'll give you that.

I love all the Viz comics that's been posted (except the pun ones). Keep them coming.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I've always been partial to this one. Not technically a comic strip but might as well be.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Anyone who doesn't like Viz is a oval office.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It does help that a lot of Classic British humour is poo poo, with occasional wonderful moments. The goons, python, Moore*, the two ronnies, carry on**, a real mixed bag of crap and genius.

*except all the Arthur streeb-greebling sketches they're all quality

** nearly all poo poo but I will fight to the death to defend the hilarity of "infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me!" And Barbara windsors bra flying off, these things are comedy gold

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

lenoon posted:

** nearly all poo poo but I will fight to the death to defend the hilarity of "infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me!" And Barbara windsors bra flying off, these things are comedy gold

You forgot Carry On Screaming.

(complete agreement otherwise!)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

There's also the fact that in some cases Viz goes for the parody over comedy thing with all the British comics is satirizes. In some cases you could take out the swearing and it'd be impossible to tell whether it was parody or genuine.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Whatever terrible comics the British have to admit to, at least they don't have to try and account for The Family Circus.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Family Circus

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
See? Even third party edits can't make them funny.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Theglavwen posted:

It's not an edit :ssh:
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/11/what_in_gods_name_just_happened_on_family_circus.php

Tracula has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jun 12, 2014

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

:what:

Well poo poo. There's my surprise for the year.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Theglavwen posted:

That's not an edit.

But for funny 3rd party edits try Scott meets the Family Circus

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

That's not an edit.

But for funny 3rd party edits try Scott meets the Family Circus

:downsrim: One man's humor is another man's toilet bowl.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

http://www.humo.be/jeroom

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Flemish comedian Jeroom started translating his comics into English. Gallery:

http://imgur.com/gallery/yWPTy

edit: never mind, just look at post above

particle409 has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Jun 14, 2014

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

What a lame comic, he's clearly a Bing, not a Frank.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Love this one

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

This comic is basically perfect.

• Locked thread