Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm Jedi Spartacus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm Jedi Spartacus

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spergatory posted:

Here's a potentially useful exploit; your Force powers don't use meter outside of combat. The tell is the meter itself; you can only see it when an enemy has noticed you and is moving to engage. Fortunately for you, the range of your Force powers is greater than most enemies' aggro range, so you can actually use the Force to kill a lot of them for free if you play it right.

The mind trick is actually using Force Push on little parts of the brain to cause mini-strokes before the enemy recognizes you.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Actually the purpose of out of combat force powers is to make Cal look at his hand with great confusion while waiting for the elevator

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I just started playing last night, and is it just me or is the control remapping totally busted? The default controls have some buttons serving multiple uses, i.e. a combat action and a navigation action. But when you remap the button it removes it from both actions, and if you try to double bind a button it will remove it, so there is no way to truly rebind the controls, since there will always be an action or two unbound. Am I doing something wrong, or is this poo poo just bugged?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I think...it depends on which buttons you want to double map. I rebound just about all of my controls (using a DS4) and I remember having a few conflicts and picked some alternate things. Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful, maybe give us a specific example of a binding you want?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

el oso posted:

I'm Jedi Spartacus

I'm Darth Spartacus :twisted:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

mellowjournalism posted:

I think...it depends on which buttons you want to double map. I rebound just about all of my controls (using a DS4) and I remember having a few conflicts and picked some alternate things. Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful, maybe give us a specific example of a binding you want?

Im trying to set the shoulder buttons to be lightsaber attacks (L2 block/parry, R2 attack, R1 force attack, L1 dodge) and face buttons for jump and force powers, but doing so removes the ability to climb (L2 default) and drop down (O default)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Hmm yeah it doesn't seem to like using O for both drop and a force power (probably so one of the force aerial moves doesn't conflict). Drop isn't a particularly critical button though so can you live with it being on L1 or something?

I was able to get it to use L2 for both block and climb, so if you still can't do that it might be a bug?

I'm on PC using a DS4 through Steam fwiw.

(If you're still having trouble, you can do what I did and set Climb to R3 and call it a day)

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 14, 2019

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Switching attack to R1 was a life saver for me.

Got the platinum last night. Loved everything except getting the terrarium to grow.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
gently caress that extended Gorgara on Dathomir QTE "boss fight" was awful. I figured out what I was in for when I noticed I wasn't losing any health the first couple of times I missed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dillbag posted:

gently caress that extended Gorgara on Dathomir QTE "boss fight" was awful. I figured out what I was in for when I noticed I wasn't losing any health the first couple of times I missed.

Yeah...it wasn't enough to ruin the game or anything, but it very much had that feel of the devs really wanting that sequence in whether or not it really worked gameplay-wise.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah...it wasn't enough to ruin the game or anything, but it very much had that feel of the devs really wanting that sequence in whether or not it really worked gameplay-wise.

The planet in general feels a little "light" compared to the others. Like it was the last map they worked on and didn't have time to really flesh it out. Not as bad as, say, Chinatown in Vampire: Bloodlines, but still noticeable.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, just finished it.

That last section was pretty much the highlight of the whole game.

There needs to be more stuff establishing that Darth Vader really is an unstoppable monster who hung around with Jedi who were Legends in of themselves amongst those who can use the Force. It would put into context why, when watching them in the movies, they seem all just as competent, yet everyone just absolutely runs from him when he's Vader.

I think some of the animated shows treated him like this too and it was pretty great. It really helps reinforce how the Empire was able to just dominate everybody.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just got this game for 45% off and still not very happy with it. The controls aren't responsive enough for this sort of game and the frame rate is hella choppy on the Most Powerful Console in the World(TM).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I never had a problem with controls but two things I had to get used to was not being able to cancel attacks with blocking or dodging and that you cant block as fast as you can press the button. If you miss a parry at the start of a quick string of attacks just keep blocking.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Kin posted:

Welp, just finished it.

That last section was pretty much the highlight of the whole game.

There needs to be more stuff establishing that Darth Vader really is an unstoppable monster who hung around with Jedi who were Legends in of themselves amongst those who can use the Force. It would put into context why, when watching them in the movies, they seem all just as competent, yet everyone just absolutely runs from him when he's Vader.

I think some of the animated shows treated him like this too and it was pretty great. It really helps reinforce how the Empire was able to just dominate everybody.

Rogue One has a scene where he is basically Jason Vorhees and the pencil & paper game has stated if Vader is currently on the same planet as you, you die. They did eventually release full stats for him.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm fighting in some arena after being captured and I cannot for the life of me beat this poo poo. The stupid big spider guys are impossible to manage when you also have one of those giants attacking you and random bugs showing up stunlocking you.

I could drop the difficulty down from Jedi Master for this one fight but I don't want to god dammit :argh:

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm fighting in some arena after being captured and I cannot for the life of me beat this poo poo. The stupid big spider guys are impossible to manage when you also have one of those giants attacking you and random bugs showing up stunlocking you.

I could drop the difficulty down from Jedi Master for this one fight but I don't want to god dammit :argh:

Parry the giant spider's come at me bro attack.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, whenever the spiders raise their legs to attack you, you can parry them for an instant kill (and a full force bar).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Parry the giant spider's come at me bro attack.

Jesus Christ one button away and I beat it :reject:
Ty

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad some of the more irritating enemies do have OHKO moves if you parry correctly

The Deathclaws on Dathomir have something similar if you parry them three times in a row

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Got tired of Deliveryman Simulator 2019, so I booted up Fallen Order again to see how it felt having a better idea what I was doing. drat, it's fun to just clown on Second Sister in the intro fight once you realize that Matrix dodging is viable rather than rolling around everywhere.

"Ah, perhaps you've had some training after all!" *Cal just starts effortlessly sliding away from every strike*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/vg247/status/1207262893013684224

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I hope they make this one actually good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

Im honestly impressed that your personal Salt Mine with this game hasnt given out yet.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I know! It's very tiresome

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Looking like it's a race between Fallen Order and the Mandalorian for Best Star Wars content this year. :toot:

Can you imagine buying one of the most popular, enduring, and beloved IPs in the world, jettisoning 90% of its canon, and then running it into the ground because you have no actual plans or good ideas of what to do with it? Incredible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JBP posted:

I have the same response when I see you've posted in a thread. Still hoping.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Looking like it's a race between Fallen Order and the Mandalorian for Best Star Wars content this year. :toot:

Can you imagine buying one of the most popular, enduring, and beloved IPs in the world, jettisoning 90% of its canon, and then running it into the ground because you have no actual plans or good ideas of what to do with it? Incredible.

So you think The Last Jedi was fantastic then since it has a 91% on RT?

Also "90% of its canon" being... What? The New Republic falls within Luke and Leias lifetime? Han and Leia's son turns evil? The Emperor Returns? Thrawn?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Don't forget those extragalactic aliens that came in with their plant technology and threw a moon into Chewbacca

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So you think The Last Jedi was fantastic then since it has a 91% on RT?

Posting the RT page is an easier shorthand for "people didn't like this" than posting the Twitter hashtag, which probably has a bunch of spoilers. But if it helps; we're getting to the point where normal people have watched the movie as well, and they didn't seem to like it very much either. :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

Also "90% of its canon" being... What? The New Republic falls within Luke and Leias lifetime? Han and Leia's son turns evil? The Emperor Returns? Thrawn?

Literally everything except the movies, including both KOTORs. Look, I'm not saying all that stuff was great, but you know, they could've been a little more selective in what got the axe. Why not just kill all the post ROTJ stuff? It seems like a really easy solution and a great way to, like, not spit in the face of long time franchise fans while still leaving yourself plenty of room to do your own thing.

Of course, that still wouldn't fix the problems with the sequel trilogy, which boils down to them having no plan or vision or artistic integrity of any kind. Everyone complained about episode 7 being too similar to 4? gently caress! Throw out all the stuff that was setting up, give the sequel to a different guy and take it in wildly new directions! OH poo poo, everyone hates it, go back, go back to the previous guy! Course correct! Course correct!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the prequels had a consistent vision and they sucked rear end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Back to the game for a second, I was extremely disappointed to find you can't skip cutscenes, I absolutely thought I remembered being able to do that after the intro section. That's just unacceptable for a modern game, I guess it apparently didn't bug me much the first time around since I was engaged by the story, but it kinda kills my interest in going back to do a quicker run any time in the near future. Much better to let you just go back to dabble in the gameplay and exploration while skipping all that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Reminder that Lucas' vision for a sequel trilogy was an Osmosis Jones style adventure through the microscopic world of midichlorians.

The sequel trilogy may go down in the books as uneven and on the balance bad, but at least we have a good streaming show to watch.

LOL that with a bounty hunter show enrapturing hitherto disillusioned fans EA shitcanned it's big AAA bounty hunter open world game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dreylad posted:

the prequels had a consistent vision and they sucked rear end

But the memes! The memes are good!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The sorting algorithm of quality goes

BEST
Consistent vision, also good.
Inconsistent vision, still good.
Consistent vision, but bad.
Inconsistent vision, also bad.
WORST

TROS seems to fall squarely in the bottom category.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hobbesmaster posted:

But the memes! The memes are good!

Getting kicked out of the COMPNOR rally by the non-irony-poisoned Imperial loyalists who don't like my signs I printed off from the dankest holonet memes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Posting the RT page is an easier shorthand for "people didn't like this" than posting the Twitter hashtag, which probably has a bunch of spoilers. But if it helps; we're getting to the point where normal people have watched the movie as well, and they didn't seem to like it very much either. :shrug:

Literally everything except the movies, including both KOTORs. Look, I'm not saying all that stuff was great, but you know, they could've been a little more selective in what got the axe. Why not just kill all the post ROTJ stuff? It seems like a really easy solution and a great way to, like, not spit in the face of long time franchise fans while still leaving yourself plenty of room to do your own thing.

Of course, that still wouldn't fix the problems with the sequel trilogy, which boils down to them having no plan or vision or artistic integrity of any kind. Everyone complained about episode 7 being too similar to 4? gently caress! Throw out all the stuff that was setting up, give the sequel to a different guy and take it in wildly new directions! OH poo poo, everyone hates it, go back, go back to the previous guy! Course correct! Course correct!

The RT score is critics.

Also the EU was loving awful. Disney is doing exactly what you are saying and keeping parts of it and that is part of the problem. The old EU had like four good ideas most of which came from one trilogy of books

It also doesn't help that if they do something different people scream angrily about how they are murdering their childhood. Pretty much all the complaints about ROS are "this film puts pleasing fans and being safe over being a good stand alone film." Which sucks if you wanted something else but was inevitable after TLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The complaints I'm seeing also run the gamut of "Abrams wanted to do episodes 8 and 9 so he just crammed his episode 8 into episode 9 and it shows and it suffers for it." They should've either given him the entire trilogy and let him make dumb popcorn fun, or followed through on the pivot of TLJ. Instead, they just pivoted again. Nobody likes a double pivot.