Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Glumslinger posted:

No, it was actually asked a ton during Watergate and that is when the current precedent comes from

How many members of today's SCOTUS were in their seats 44 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Petr posted:

Every Republican I've talked to thinks it's a nothingburger or bad for Democrats. People really do live in separate realities.

it's not separate realities, it's that they don't live in reality.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Skex posted:

Why do you think that being under oath would result in him being more honest than otherwise?

It's not like an oath is a magic truth serum. Honestly I doubt that a narcissistic compulsive liar like Trump is even capable of telling the "Truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

Someone like Comey or someone with experience with places and situations as well as a real understanding of the legal consequences of perjuring themselves will be careful to tell the truth in the strictest legal sense. He's a lawyer he's been trained in that. Trump is a conman, lying is what he does and to be honest it's worked for him so why should he stop?

Besides he's already publicly admitted to obstruction and gotten away with his, what's a little perjury?

perjury is provable and comes with consequences - if not legal, further deterioration of the administration and its abilities to poo poo on people, as well as continuing to pull the gop down with it.

lying worked for him to get elected. hasn't really worked since.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
the NYT opinion piece is actually some of their better stuff and pretty relevant

Covok
May 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Petr posted:

Every Republican I've talked to thinks it's a nothingburger or bad for Democrats. People really do live in separate realities.

Not different reality, comrade. Merely glorious republic of Russia!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

He might just be that dumb

http://www.newsweek.com/bill-o-reilly-fox-news-email-leak-sexual-harassment-587406

quote:

It has been a turbulent week for Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly. On Wednesday, following multiple allegations of sexual harassment against him, parent company 21st Century Fox said the star host wouldn’t be returning to the network. (He reportedly received a $25 million payout thought to be equivalent to one year of his salary.) Now, leaked emails have shown that only the day before, O’Reilly’s legal team were contemplating a last-ditch attempt to save his job.

On April 18, O’Reilly’s lawyers at New York law firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman were discussing whether their client had been the victim of a liberal smear campaign. In the message chain—which a member of the team mistakenly forwarded to Politico's Joe Pompeo—the lawyers debated showing Fox News an April 13 email in which the Democratic fundraiser Mary Pat Bonner announced two conference calls with the president of Media Matters, an organization that monitors and corrects “conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.”

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think it's a perpetually relevant topic. Maybe at some point when the important journalism about Trump/Russia/Comey isn't happening everywhere except the Times?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm looking forward to 2028, where demographic change will be enough for a Kamala Harris/Ru Paul ticket to run on a platform of open White Genocide and win. I'll be bummed at the folks I gotta share the camps with though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Eh, if you've already committed obstruction (and possible, actual treason) what's a little perjury on that rear end in a top hat poo poo salad? I mean, that's just a crouton in the grand scheme of things!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think it's a perpetually relevant topic. Maybe at some point when the important journalism about Trump/Russia/Comey isn't happening everywhere except the Times?
C'mon now, dude, pretty sure whomever wrote that thinkpiece isn't in charge of ALL RELEVANT JOURNALISM REGARDING THE CURRENT SITUATION WITH THE PRESIDENT and took away valuable time from the latter to work on the former.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey now, you're an All Star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

C'mon now, dude, pretty sure whomever wrote that thinkpiece isn't in charge of ALL RELEVANT JOURNALISM REGARDING THE CURRENT SITUATION WITH THE PRESIDENT and took away valuable time from the latter to work on the former.
Do you understand how editorial works?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SubponticatePoster posted:

Eh, if you've already committed obstruction (and possible, actual treason) what's a little perjury on that rear end in a top hat poo poo salad? I mean, that's just a crouton in the grand scheme of things!

if anything i'd like to hear the long list of things pence has to pardon him for get longer

obstruction
treason
fraud

perjury in this instance is like adding bacon. indulgent and unnecessary but come on man you know you want it and it;s only like fifty cents

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

skylined! posted:

perjury is provable and comes with consequences - if not legal, further deterioration of the administration and its abilities to poo poo on people, as well as continuing to pull the gop down with it.

lying worked for him to get elected. hasn't really worked since.

You know that, I know that, Comey knows that. But I don't think that Trump knows that. I think that he's literally incapable of even understanding the idea that he's not invulnerable.

My point is that I wouldn't expect Trump to be any more honest under oath than he is when he's simply bloviating at random.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm looking forward to 2028, where demographic change will be enough for a Kamala Harris/Ru Paul ticket to run on a platform of open White Genocide and win. I'll be bummed at the folks I gotta share the camps with though.

We are a violent race
and we deserve what we get

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
At this point the GOP should impeach trump on something unprovable so then when even more clear proof comes out later that they can do some "we aren't going to do this again, we had the trial already, move on"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Just because you're having trouble with the analogy, doesn't mean that this is the extremely woke thinkpiece you're claiming it is

Eh, I think it's a pretty tortured analogy that only works on a superficial level, though. What Comey's going through is not really all that much like what women go through when they're left alone in a room with a powerful man who is known to sexually harass people. Comey is himself a powerful man, both physically and politically, and I don't think he ever once feared for his personal safety from Trump. Yes, people are asking him similar questions, like, "Why didn't you just quit?" or "Why didn't you report him to your supervisor/HR/the White House counsel/whatever?," but that's kind of where the similarities end, IMO.

Sexual harassment in the workplace is an extremely important topic, and it does belong on the front page of the NYT and other major papers. I'm just not sure that this was a particularly deep or well-thought-out way to address it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/GOPSenFinance/status/872906043264782337

don't think they thought this all the way through

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/girlziplocked/status/872643779081244672

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Eh, I think it's a pretty tortured analogy that only works on a superficial level, though. What Comey's going through is not really all that much like what women go through when they're left alone in a room with a powerful man who is known to sexually harass people. Comey is himself a powerful man, both physically and politically, and I don't think he ever once feared for his personal safety from Trump. Yes, people are asking him similar questions, like, "Why didn't you just quit?" or "Why didn't you report him to your supervisor/HR/the White House counsel/whatever?," but that's kind of where the similarities end, IMO.

Sexual harassment in the workplace is an extremely important topic, and it does belong on the front page of the NYT and other major papers. I'm just not sure that this was a particularly deep or well-thought-out way to address it.

No, it probably won't be on the shortlist for a Pulitzer, I agree.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oof, gotta proofread yo poo poo

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yes? Susan Chira appears to be a reporter at NYT who writes articles regarding women and current events. Pretty sure she pitched the idea to her boss who said "sure, write an article about it" and they put it on nytimes.com. Not sure what that has to do with people assigned to working on the Comey hearing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I agree with the sentiment but perhaps this is not the right time and place to be using it for clicks??

No one died, so I don't get the "too soon" thought

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

What a weird issue to go hard on man

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

We are a violent race
and we deserve what we get

Yes. For evidence,

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Majorian posted:

I think that it actually has more power as an analogy because it's a way to relate the experience of women dealing with sexual harassment and victim blaming to people who view themselves as powerful. If someone as powerful as the 6' 8" director of the FBI can be subjected to victim blaming what protection do women have when dealing with men who are both financially and physically able to cause them harm.

I think that it also points to the fact that victim blaming is a Republican go to. That they by nature consider abuse of power as being appropriate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TheScott2K posted:

Oof, gotta proofread yo poo poo
That's Orrin Hatch's face. lol at the intern/staffer who actually wrote that tweet because somebody on Twitter is gonna point out what a huge fuckup they just made.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/GOPSenFinance/status/872906043264782337

don't think they thought this all the way through

my pocket book has been extra heavy lately

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Rigel posted:

No one died, so I don't get the "too soon" thought

It's rear end in a top hat code for "I don't get it and I don't like it so I better deflect to something I can bark about with authority."

Saw a lot of em in response to (jokes about) Chump's song and dance routine on memorial day

Edit for clarity

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Place your bets now on how long they can keep him off Twitter.

Social media review may totally be one of Trump's lawyer's terms of representation. If he was wise.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

I'm guessing you're a dude because I shared that article on my FB and it's already been reshared several times by women who are like "this is spot on"

that's not proof of anything but i guess I'm saying maybe examine your biases

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skex posted:

You know that, I know that, Comey knows that. But I don't think that Trump knows that. I think that he's literally incapable of even understanding the idea that he's not invulnerable.

My point is that I wouldn't expect Trump to be any more honest under oath than he is when he's simply bloviating at random.

Thing is, under oath, the other side gets to as questions and he has to answer. Frame the question the right way and he will admit to anything. You could get Trump to admit to murder by asking him if he knew some people said he would be bad at murdering.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thing is, under oath, the other side gets to as questions and he has to answer. Frame the question the right way and he will admit to anything. You could get Trump to admit to murder by asking him if he knew some people said he would be bad at murdering.

trump's previous testimony transcripts seem to show he knows how to babble but say nothing, but that may have been before the dementia really took hold

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Place your bets now on how long they can keep him off Twitter.

Actually if he thinks he's in the clear he might be celebrating and won't feel the need to use those thumbs. He doesn't understand how government works so this is entirely possible.

I'd also like to remind everyone that the current approval polls will likely slip into 37%/56% approval disapproval by next week after the Comey hearing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Glumslinger posted:

No, it was actually asked a ton during Watergate and that is when the current precedent comes from

Actually it was asked a ton during Watergate and never settled because of the resignation/pardon outcome.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It occurs to me the Trump legal/political defense is going to literally be "what investigation?"

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I see my "devils advocate" friends (aka, parrot GOP talking points) saying that Comey perjured himself. They're saying he said he released the memo in response to a Trumptweet, but the tweet didn't come until days later.

I have no idea what they're referring to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Serfer posted:

I see my "devils advocate" friends (aka, parrot GOP talking points) saying that Comey perjured himself. They're saying he said he released the memo in response to a Trumptweet, but the tweet didn't come until days later.

I have no idea what they're referring to.

Your friend is wrong, Trump's lawyer was completely incorrect, the New York Times has clarified with verifiable information.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

:stare:

You have got to be kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
No analogy is going to 100% mirror this, but I think Comey's experience is close enough. I see nothing wrong with that NYT article.

• Locked thread