Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Drifter posted:

You don't actually seal anything by frying, you just create additional flavors. I'd say give it a nice sear, just don't cook the inside at all. And then make a fond with the searing pan and pour that into the slow cooker as well.

edit:Just follow the instruction in the order they have it, should be fine.

And I think you should also be sure to put the chicken on top of everything, right?

Cheers thanks for the tip! The chicken kind of sunk to the bottom but I'll keep an eye on it :)

Boris Galerkin - It's really rich in flavour, I kind of think it tastes like the meat it comes from but just... super rich. I haven't had it that much but it's glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
RE: What does bone marrow taste like?

Unctuous. Soft, fatty, spreadable delicious. Rich. Mouth coating, but in a good way. Hard to describe in really concrete terms.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Mister Macys posted:

Besides miso tofu soup, what else can I use miso paste (dashi type) for?

Nasu Dengaku! There are about as many ways to make it as there are Japanese people, but this is the way I was shown by my Japanese, non-animu friend.

Slice up some aubergines into thickish slices, soak or salt them for a bit to draw out the bitter nastiness. Score, oil, grill/broil for about ten mins (or 200cish oven for 15 mins)

Mix up about a third of a cup miso paste with 1-2tb sake/sugar/mirin (if you have it). Adjust these to taste. Some people use a lot of sugar. Feel free to grate in a bunch of ginger, it's delicious.

Slather mixture all over slices, grill 2-3m until delicious. Top with sliced scallions and white sesame seeds, if you have them on hand.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 12, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Happiness Commando posted:

Green cabbage is on sale for 25 cents a pound. Obviously I want to buy some. I can't do fermented foods for REASONS, so kimchi and kraut are out. What should I make?

Stuffed cabbage. Lots of soups from Poland, Russia, etc make use of cabbage. I just did some take on this http://trustinkim.com/tag/mennonite-cabbage-borscht/. Bigos rules, but I don't know how it would taste without kraut.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Green cabbage is on sale for 25 cents a pound. Obviously I want to buy some. I can't do fermented foods for REASONS, so kimchi and kraut are out. What should I make?

http://www.sailusfood.com/2012/04/18/cabbage-vepudu-recipe/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

AlistairCookie posted:

RE: What does bone marrow taste like?

Unctuous. Soft, fatty, spreadable delicious. Rich. Mouth coating, but in a good way. Hard to describe in really concrete terms.

The marrow will be melted all the way through the bone when roasting it correct?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does marrow taste like?

Meat butter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

The marrow will be melted all the way through the bone when roasting it correct?

Close to it, yeah. If it's running like milk or something it's been overly long in the cooking process. I don't think it 'ruins' itself, though.

Marrow is buttery in texture. It's very rich, like a liver pate with butter mixed in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Braise a cabbage and a pork

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dear friends, my CSA box this week came with four motherfucking feet of sugarcane. It looks like a bunch of bamboo. What on earth do I do with it?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cut a piece off and suck on it (really! It's great, as a kid I loved it). Maybe you could also grill something on it, after that I kinda run out of ideas without a way to mill it.

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
Any recommendations for a Japanese-centric cookbook? Most of the ones I see are all about the sushi, but I know drat well there's more to Japan than that.

The more in depth it is, the better. The Japanese cuisine equivalent of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" is basically what I want. :P

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

D-Rider posted:

Any recommendations for a Japanese-centric cookbook? Most of the ones I see are all about the sushi, but I know drat well there's more to Japan than that.
I bought Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen after mindphlux recommended it and amazon immediately started recommending pocky and those pillows with anime girls on them so it's p authentic I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Corned beef is going on sale in advance of St. Patricks day so maybe keep an eye out for that and try some corned beef and cabbage in addition to the other good suggestions.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like green cabbage in vegetable soup, personally. Just cut it into strips and chuck it in with whatever else looks good in the produce department that day.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

Dear friends, my CSA box this week came with four motherfucking feet of sugarcane. It looks like a bunch of bamboo. What on earth do I do with it?

Cut sticks of it and use it as a swizzle in mojitos.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Does anyone happen to have a really good recipe for bay scallops? My local place has a sale on them and I've never messed with bay scallops before. I think I've cooked sea scallops once or twice but I assume there's a difference in cooking technique considering the size difference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shred it, saute it and serve stir-fry vegetables on top of it

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Hack the sugar cane into more manageable pieces, discard the tougher joints, and strip off the hard exterior. Then you can cut the inside portion into strips. Smaller strips you can use as swizzles in cocktails. You can chew on them.

You can also use them as "skewers" to pack ground meat mixtures around and grill, there is a Vietnamese shrimp based one.

You can take the pieces and juice them by blitzing in food processor or blender and squeezing. Drink as is or mix with some sort of citrus.

From my icsa street food:

Chạo tôm: Shrimp on sugar cane

The sugar cane stalks were used for a dish where a shrimp paste is wrapped around the stalk and then fried or grilled. The sugar cane imparts a subtle flavor to the shrimp and then you can chew on the sugar cane stalk and suck out the juice.

Shrimp paste:
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 Tb shallot, finely minced
2 tsp fish sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp white pepper
1 tablespoon minced pork fat (or oil)

Other ingredients:
sugar cane sticks
oil for frying or grilling

1. Coarsely chop shrimp, and then add all of the ingredients of the shrimp paste except for the pork fat into a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Add the pork fat and pulse a couple times to mix in. Set the mixture aside for a half hour in the fridge.
3. Once the shrimp paste has rested, cut pieces of sugar cane into half-inch wide sticks until you have twelve pieces and blot dry.
4. Take two tablespoons of shrimp paste and form a circle of paste in the palm of your hand. Place a sugar cane stick in the middle and then wrap the paste around the stick, using your hand to form the paste around the stick. Wetting your hands can help prevent the mixture from sticking too much.
5. Deep fry or steam the shrimp paste on sugar cane for 3-5 minutes, until cooked. Steamed shrimp paste on sugar cane can then be finished off by frying or grilling, or stored and refrigerated before frying or grilling.

The shrimp on sugar cane can be served alone with fish dipping sauce, wrapped in rice paper rolls, eaten in rice noodle bowls, or here, I chose to place each skewer in a lettuce leaf with some rice noodles, pickled carrot/daikon, scallions in oil, and a drizzle of nuoc cham.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I'm making a birthday cake this weekend, and the request is for a chocolate, strawberry, vanilla mousse cake.

I've got a cake base and a chocolate mousse recipe in mind, and we're going to use a Saveur recipe for the strawberry mousse.
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Strawberry-Mousse

My problem is I cannot find a vanilla mousse recipe without it being involved with cheesecake or something. Does anyone have a recipe or an idea for how I can swing this? Otherwise, I think I may just top it with whipped cream.

Also, does that strawberry mousse recipe read like it will hold up in a cake form if I chill it in a springform pan?

Thanks so much.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I'm not a moose man at all, but can't you just swap out the strawberries for the vanilla beans for the vanilla mousse?

That mousse definitely looks like it'd be solid enough to hold a shape, yes, but as a topping, not any sort of weight bearing device.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Is there a thread on food photography? I seem to recall seeing one once upon a time but I can't find it now. If not, does anyone have any tips on taking pictures? My camera is total poo poo so it needs all the help it can get.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I never use a slow cooker for anything other than dips, but my wife put together a simple lemon rosemary chicken recipe that says to cook on high for 4-5 hours. I came in at the 2.5 hour mark and the liquid (chicken broth) was simmering. I stuck my Thermapen in the breasts and they read about 200 degrees. Dinner is in a couple of hours. Should I do anything other than turn the crockpot down to low (or off)?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Is there a thread on food photography? I seem to recall seeing one once upon a time but I can't find it now. If not, does anyone have any tips on taking pictures? My camera is total poo poo so it needs all the help it can get.

It's still on the front page when I came in here, but I think it's mostly devolved into some weird satire at this point. There was a thread that was posting pictures of Doobie's Hotdogs and corn chips in a toilet, I thought. Oh well. This one seems legit.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533835

The earlier pages might have some actual information to be gleaned for your purposes.

SassafrasGumipants
Dec 26, 2013

Nuts.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

There is also this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577140

Submit your pictures and you'll get feedback.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SassafrasGumipants posted:

There is also this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577140

Submit your pictures and you'll get feedback.

Ahaha That's the one.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mich posted:

Hack the sugar cane into more manageable pieces, discard the tougher joints, and strip off the hard exterior. Then you can cut the inside portion into strips. Smaller strips you can use as swizzles in cocktails. You can chew on them.

You can also use them as "skewers" to pack ground meat mixtures around and grill, there is a Vietnamese shrimp based one.

You can take the pieces and juice them by blitzing in food processor or blender and squeezing. Drink as is or mix with some sort of citrus.

From my icsa street food:

Chạo tôm: Shrimp on sugar cane

The sugar cane stalks were used for a dish where a shrimp paste is wrapped around the stalk and then fried or grilled. The sugar cane imparts a subtle flavor to the shrimp and then you can chew on the sugar cane stalk and suck out the juice.

Shrimp paste:
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 Tb shallot, finely minced
2 tsp fish sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp white pepper
1 tablespoon minced pork fat (or oil)

Other ingredients:
sugar cane sticks
oil for frying or grilling

1. Coarsely chop shrimp, and then add all of the ingredients of the shrimp paste except for the pork fat into a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Add the pork fat and pulse a couple times to mix in. Set the mixture aside for a half hour in the fridge.
3. Once the shrimp paste has rested, cut pieces of sugar cane into half-inch wide sticks until you have twelve pieces and blot dry.
4. Take two tablespoons of shrimp paste and form a circle of paste in the palm of your hand. Place a sugar cane stick in the middle and then wrap the paste around the stick, using your hand to form the paste around the stick. Wetting your hands can help prevent the mixture from sticking too much.
5. Deep fry or steam the shrimp paste on sugar cane for 3-5 minutes, until cooked. Steamed shrimp paste on sugar cane can then be finished off by frying or grilling, or stored and refrigerated before frying or grilling.

The shrimp on sugar cane can be served alone with fish dipping sauce, wrapped in rice paper rolls, eaten in rice noodle bowls, or here, I chose to place each skewer in a lettuce leaf with some rice noodles, pickled carrot/daikon, scallions in oil, and a drizzle of nuoc cham.

That looks amazing, thank you! I'm going to have to get one of those bigass cleavers to do this, huh?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
No you can peel and cut sugarcane with a regular chef's knife. It's just that chefs that know what to do with sugarcane are more likely to use a chinese cleaver than most folks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Easychair Bootson posted:

I never use a slow cooker for anything other than dips, but my wife put together a simple lemon rosemary chicken recipe that says to cook on high for 4-5 hours. I came in at the 2.5 hour mark and the liquid (chicken broth) was simmering. I stuck my Thermapen in the breasts and they read about 200 degrees. Dinner is in a couple of hours. Should I do anything other than turn the crockpot down to low (or off)?

If your slow cooker is anything like mine, there should be a "warm" setting which should keep the food at serving temperature. Failing that, "low" would be your best bet. Off would probably get you into the danger zone as far as food safety goes.

Ninja: I see you posted this yesterday. How'd they turn out?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Just want to run a couple of things past the pro's... please give me any hints, tips or comments!

here's what i want to do:

I bought squid tubes, they're in my freezer now:

The plan is to transfer them from the freezer to the fridge on Friday-morning,
then to prepare them on Sunday afternoon....
(would that be a problem?)

Next, I would like to make this:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/335618/squid-with-brandy-and-cream
I got a bottle of cognac, that's brandy, right?
How important is it to bake/fry the squid before stewing it?
Any additional suggestions to the recipe?

Also, i'd like to know if it screws up the stew when I reheat it the next day?

(in short: I'd like to make this beforehand, for the BF....the most important thing is that I do not
want to kill him (just yet). Any tips to make it taste better, are welcome as well, but less important
(as most of the bottle of cognac will not be directly used in the stew))

tyvm in advance

paraquat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 13, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

paraquat posted:

Just want to run a couple of things past the pro's... please give me any hints, tips or comments!

here's what i want to do:

I bought squid tubes, they're in my freezer now:

The plan is to transfer them from the freezer to the fridge on Friday-morning,
then to prepare them on Sunday afternoon....
(would that be a problem?)

Next, I would like to make this:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/335618/squid-with-brandy-and-cream
I got a bottle of cognac, that's brandy, right?
How important is it to bake/fry the squid before stewing it?
Any additional suggestions to the recipe?

Also, i'd like to know if it screws up the stew when I reheat it the next day?

(in short: I'd like to make this beforehand, for the BF....the most important thing is that I do not
want to kill him (just yet). Any tips to make it taste better, are welcome as well, but less important
(as most of the bottle of cognac will not be directly used in the stew))

tyvm in advance

I'll try and go through these point by point, but it sounds like you're on the right track overall.

Yes, you should be fine defrosting your squid tubes starting Friday night and using them on Sunday.

Yes, Cognac is brandy.

The point behind frying the squid before putting into the stew is to give it some extra flavor through browning. Think of it like searing a roast before putting it into the oven. The browning will add some extra flavor. In this recipe, the steaming/stewing is to finish cooking.

Big note: When the recipe says simmer gently, they mean it. Squid will turn to rubber if you overcook it, so take it pretty easy. Check it a little before the 40 minute mark. Take a piece out and check it for texture and taste. If it seems way underdone, keep it on the heat and check again in a few. If it's a little underdone, maybe give it one-two more minutes and check it again.

As far as re-heating the next day, it should taste fine. Many soups, stews and chillis taste better after a day or two in the fridge. Probably don't want to re-heat in the microwave, but heating back to serving temp on the stove would probably work best.

One small note, I can't actually see the picture of what you posted for your squid, but from your description I'm guessing it's packaged IQF squid tubes. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as you have about a KG (~2 lbs) of the stuff, the recipe should work as written.

Other than that, personally I'd probably serve it on top of fettuccine.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks, I really appreciated your answers and additional helpful comments!!

your Big note will be taken very seriously (!),

the other things you said made me feel more at ease with the whole project (I'm actually looking forward to trying this)
(and yes, it's a 1 kg bag of individually quick frozen squid tubes, you totally made me look up "IQF",
and no, no microwave will be involved in the making or reheating of the stew)

Oh, and I wasn't going to eat it with rice like the recipe suggests, but with bread...your fettucini will definitely be taken into consideration, sounds even better!

thanks again

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I recently made a big pot of chicken stock and froze part of it, roughly a gallon in quart-sized mason jars. Problem: I didn't leave enough head space in a couple of them, and now those two jars have cracked. Is there any way to safely get the frozen stock out of them without getting little bits of glass in it? I thought about thawing it out in a bowl with a sieve over it, then transferring the thawed stock to another bowl through a cheesecloth, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Meaty Ore posted:

I recently made a big pot of chicken stock and froze part of it, roughly a gallon in quart-sized mason jars. Problem: I didn't leave enough head space in a couple of them, and now those two jars have cracked. Is there any way to safely get the frozen stock out of them without getting little bits of glass in it? I thought about thawing it out in a bowl with a sieve over it, then transferring the thawed stock to another bowl through a cheesecloth, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Everywhere I've read has suggested just throwing away the entire thing. How cracked are you talking about? Like it shattered, or it's just a hairline fracture? Because if the crack is clean, I don't think it'd be a problem.

There are other ways you could probably strain it, but it's too much of a hassle for the gain. Just call it a loss, and don't do it again. Also, ziploc bags work good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 14, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
THROW IT OUT. The dangers of ground glass winding up in your body are too numerous to bother with.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Use quart freezer-safe delitainers next time, they're great

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

THROW IT OUT. The dangers of ground glass winding up in your body are too numerous to bother with.

THIS THIS THIS.

I use freezer ziplocks for stock, myself. They stack nicely in bricks.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Yeah - you don't gently caress with broken glass, period. Not even the chance of it. Cut you to ribbons inside and you won't even know it right away.

CzarChasm posted:

Big note: When the recipe says simmer gently, they mean it. Squid will turn to rubber if you overcook it, so take it pretty easy. Check it a little before the 40 minute mark. Take a piece out and check it for texture and taste. If it seems way underdone, keep it on the heat and check again in a few. If it's a little underdone, maybe give it one-two more minutes and check it again.

Your advice was spot on, the entire post...except this bit. Squid can be cooked for no more than three or four minutes; or at least 30-40, depending. In between, it's rubber. Your advice makes sense in the first scenario, but this recipe is definitely the second. Once it goes from just-cooked-through to (temporarily) "overcooked," at about the four minute mark, you have to cook it another 30-40 minutes to break down the collagen. Once that happens, it's "perfectly cooked" again, like a piece of smoked pork. The only danger then is cooking it to mush, which isn't "one-two minutes" temperamental. As soon as it's tender again it's ready. It will hold pretty well as you said, both at temperature and for reheating.

A finer point, but just wanted to add to an otherwise perfect post.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
So I am making some asian glazed chicken and the recipe is for wings, but I have cut chicken breasts into .25-.5 inch strips about. It says to bake the wings at 400 fahrenheit for 45 minutes.

How long should I cook these strips for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

So I am making some asian glazed chicken and the recipe is for wings, but I have cut chicken breasts into .25-.5 inch strips about. It says to bake the wings at 400 fahrenheit for 45 minutes.

How long should I cook these strips for?

Since there's no bone to have to compensate for and it's pretty thin I'd say around 350 F for maybe 12-15 minutes (probably closer to 15). Check it every minute or two after that. You probably won't have to go over 20 minutes.

edit: once the internal temp hits 155-160 you can pull them out.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 14, 2014