Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm working on Signals of War right now, and since it's written by a collaboration of a British and an Argentinian expert I was expecting it to be far less... hilariously negative for the Junta I guess? Might be a good starting point, might not, but it's fun to read at least.

Nice, always wanted to read a good book about that conflict myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm working on Signals of War right now, and since it's written by a collaboration of a British and an Argentinian expert I was expecting it to be far less... hilariously negative for the Junta I guess? Might be a good starting point, might not, but it's fun to read at least.

Apart from a blind raving hatred of Thatcher... why would you expect the history of an unprovoked invasion undertaken by a brutal military junta to be anything other than "hilariously negative" towards said junta? Like seriously, why would you expect a sober history of the Falklands War to paint the Argentine leadership in any sort of positive light?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

There's the old "let's throw away a bunch of tanks because we are Russians and we want our men to die" cliche, then the Soviet team traps the protagonists in a church, and then instead of collapsing the thing on top of them with a loving KV-2 and IS-2 that they have, the scriptwriters unzip their pants and urinate on my culture for several minutes, at which point the protagonists win.

So it's like that movie where 300 men couldn't take out 1 medium tank even though they had plenty of anti-tank weapons and could flank it from any direction?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Something close to $125. So basically Wolf Pelion on Ossa got around $187,000 for "nothing particular".

Nice work if you can get it. I wonder if he was a distant relative of the Kardashians.
Ossa's pretty interesting; he hated another colonel named Franz Peter Koenig von Mohr and accused him of having been bribed to sell the fortress he commanded to the Swedes. In response, Mohr hired assassins to murder Ossa. Like you do, I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Apart from a blind raving hatred of Thatcher... why would you expect the history of an unprovoked invasion undertaken by a brutal military junta to be anything other than "hilariously negative" towards said junta? Like seriously, why would you expect a sober history of the Falklands War to paint the Argentine leadership in any sort of positive light?
By "hilariously negative" I mean that the Argentinian author doesn't even manage to make a case for there being any legit claim on the islands. It reads as a pro-British, almost "just war" kind of book.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Taiping Tianguo

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Close call at Huazhou
The army that would give the God Worshippers their first true fight was not originally sent to deal with the movement, but instead to deal with various bandits and triad groups that had crossed the line from lawless mayhem to outright rebellion. At 30,000 strong, the army is not large by Chinese standards, but should be up to the task. The God Worshippers ranks are alos swelling with Hakka bretheren fleeing the violence, as well as pirates and bandits fleeing the government troops, bringing their numbers up to 20,000. Of the pirate bands, however, most will later defect to the imperialists, with the exceptions of famous captain Luo Dagang and the aforementioned woman bandit Su Sanniang (legend says these two would later marry).

The imperial forces, tasked with restoring order, finally turned to God Worshipper territory. In response to several small skirmishes, Li Dianyuan led a force to the village of Huazhou and placed it under a siege cordon, seeing no reason to rush in immediately. Unbeknownst to him, Hong Xiuquan was staying in the village at this time. As soon as he hears the news, Yang Xiuqing rapidly organizes a volunteer army to rescue the Heavenly Younger Brother. Led by Meng De'en, a brave leader and hero of an earlier skirmish with government troops, they move rapidly to save their leader. A serious battle results, but the society is victorious and the siege is broken. Among the dozens of dead is Zhang Yong, deputy magistrate, and the first government official killed in the Taiping rebellion. If the movement had not passed the point of no return already, it had now.

Rumble at Jintian
Following these events, Manchu lieutenant general Ikedanbu is tasked by imperial commander Zhou Fengqi to lead a larger force to put down the movement. On December 31, 1850, one day before his arrival, the God Worshippers society get an unexpected surprise. Nearly 10,000 of their bretheren have finally answered the call and arrived at Jintian, ready to help however they are needed. Those fit for service are rapidly integrated into the army and final preparations are made for battle.

The rebels choose their ground well. They line up for battle on the road to Jintian. Hong leads personally in the center. Yang positions his troops to the left flank along Thistle River to the north. Xiao Chaogui takes the right flank onto a strong position on Pangu hill to the south. The rebels have already set up a system of signal flags to coordinate their actions in battle.

Perhaps the Qing troops are careless, not expecting organized resistance on the scale they are to encounter. Maybe they simply scout poorly. Or maybe they see the formidable rebel army and figure they can handle it anyway. For whatever reason, on January 1 they choose to attack head on towards the Taiping center. It does not go well.

The rebel flanks close in as planned and the Qing troops are soon panicked and disordered, retreating in a general rout. Ikedanbu's horse slips while crossing a bridge and he is decapitated by the rebels (Ikedanbu, not the horse). Zhou Fengqi arrives the next day with reinforcements, but he can do no more than rescue a beleaugered group of survivors who had dug in on a hilltop position before retreating himself.

And So it Begins
January 11th is Hong's 38th birthday. A proclamation is declared listing five rules of the army. I've yet to see two sources translate these the same way, so I'll give my own gist.
1. Obedience to the 10 commandments
2. Separation of men and women. There is no sex in the heavenly army.
3. Obey all laws and regulations (dont be a pillaging, peasant slaughtering dickhead)
4. Be chill and harmonious, dude (harmony involves not having private property and obeying your officers)
5. No retreat, no surrender!
The victory at Jintian is celebrated along with the birthday, and it seems as good a time as any to declare that the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom has arrived. They will not formally change the calendar until later, but when they do, 1851 is year 1.
Short on food, the army moves to the nearby city Jiangkou, rich in supplies, and also the home of Wang Zuoxin, the official who started the persecution of the God Worshipper's society. Immediately fleeing the rebel approach, Wang leaves the rest of his clan behind and at least eighty members are killed. Wang himself escapes the rebels only to end up ignominously murdered by bandits.

------
There's something I came across while making the beautiful map up above that I want to point out.

I've mentioned a lot of the unattractive weirdness of the Taiping leaders, and it might seem like a safe bet that religious fanatics who started a war that killed 20 million are the "bad guys" as far as popular history is concerned. This is emphatically not how the rebellion is actually viewed in China. For example, the Jintian Uprising is one of 8 events commemorated on the Monument to the People's Heroes in Tiananmen Square.

Non-communist historians as well are often surprisingly sympathetic to the movement. For all of their faults, and overlooking the horrific human cost of their crusade, the Taiping goal of overthrowing foreign domination, eliminating corruption, and modernizing a nation that was rapidly falling behind remain laudable. Their egalitarianism, their respect for women's capabilities, their dedication to building a utopian future all resonated with China's later revolutions. The Taiping Revolution is in this view a double tragedy; both because it happened, and because it failed.

Anyway, sorry for the short post. Next time I'll get into where the Taiping went next, and hopefully a little background on why the imperial army sucks so bad and gets wrecked so often.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

By "hilariously negative" I mean that the Argentinian author doesn't even manage to make a case for there being any legit claim on the islands. It reads as a pro-British, almost "just war" kind of book.

Well, if you invade an island filled with people who don't want you there and have repeatedly said that they don't want you there (to the tune of 99% negative) because the islands were technically part of a nation that you were part of several hundred years ago then yeah, I'd say your claim is kinda sketchy. I frankly don't get the moral stance that Britain wasn't in the right in the Falklands. Their sovereign territory was invaded and their citizens were taken under hostile occupation. That is as clear cut a casus belli as you are ever going to get. It wasn't like the British had thrown the Spanish of the islands ten years prior or like the Falklanders (or even a significant part of them) desperately wanted to join Argentinia and were kept from doing so by the brutal boot of British oppression. How else was that book supposed to lay out the case?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds pretty accurate, then.

ArchangeI posted:

Well, if you invade an island filled with people who don't want you there and have repeatedly said that they don't want you there (to the tune of 99% negative) because the islands were technically part of a nation that you were part of several hundred years ago then yeah, I'd say your claim is kinda sketchy. I frankly don't get the moral stance that Britain wasn't in the right in the Falklands. Their sovereign territory was invaded and their citizens were taken under hostile occupation. That is as clear cut a casus belli as you are ever going to get. It wasn't like the British had thrown the Spanish of the islands ten years prior or like the Falklanders (or even a significant part of them) desperately wanted to join Argentinia and were kept from doing so by the brutal boot of British oppression. How else was that book supposed to lay out the case?

-B-but... Thatcher! Tories! It involved them so Britain must have been at fault!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Thatcher may have been in the right but operation Black Buck is completely inexcusable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Thatcher may have been in the right but operation Black Buck is completely inexcusable.

Cool as poo poo, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Cool as poo poo, though.

:qqsay: But my logistical chains!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So the wikipedia article for Black Buck says that the US flew B-52 raids against Iraq from the Continental US, and I'm pretty confused as to why, given all the regional allies. Are all B-52s considered a strategic asset that can't be based outside the US or something?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hey great stuff as usual. Chinese history has always been a big gaping gap in my knowledge. What kind of sources are you using for these posts? In some ways your posts remind me of a lot of the Chinese historiography I've read on earlier periods, with a lot of care taken to describe the actions and motives of particular leaders, for example in Arglebargle's posts on the Three Kingdoms. I've heard this tendency to focus on individuals in modern accounts comes from the long tradition of Chinese Chronicles, which are our main sources for most significant events in Chinese history. So basically i'm curious how theTaiping Rebellion was recorded at the time, and how the tradition of Official Histories influenced modern social and Marxist historians interpreting these events.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Strategic bombers had been based outside the US throughout the Cold War, although in peacetime it was more of a thing with the earlier B-47 which lacked true intercontinental range.

B-52s plastered Vietnam from regional bases as soon as they got the logistics in order, and that was pretty much what happened after a while in Desert Storm too: tons and tons of bombs transported to Saudi. At least the fuel was already there!

With the WoT B-52s and B-1s have been flying out of the Gulf and Diego Garcia, although a couple of 'kick in the door' type ops were done from the continental US (Serbia, Libya) with B-2s involved. The latter are nowadays able to forward deploy from Diego and Guam IIRC (check the clamshell hangars in Gmaps) so I'd pose that US 'strategic' assets have very much kept up with being stationed outside the country.

Do note that tens of thousands of nuclear warheads and the whole gamut of delivery systems - Missiles, jets, rockets, artillery, ships, subs, hell even backpacks - were deployed in Canada, Greenland, Europe, North Africa, and East Asia. And some those those things still haven't been removed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So why on earth would you fly a B-52 mission against Iraq out of CONUS? Or is wikipedia full of poo poo, and those were just the ferry flights or something?

On the other hand, the B-2 is actually only supposed to operate from American soil (including overseas possessions like Guam) right?
e: Nope, apparently they've operated out of RAF Fairford and Diego Garcia. Still crazy that they were flying strikes in Kosovo and Iraq out of Missouri.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 2, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ArchangeI posted:

How else was that book supposed to lay out the case?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

-B-but... Thatcher! Tories! It involved them so Britain must have been at fault!
Basically what I expected, at least in part, given that even April just gone there were some rumblings over it, was that there'd be some attempt to present the Argentinian case as something more than just insane posturing. They even seemed to hint that the Junta based their entire thought process when predicting British responses on stereotypical "latino machismo" and dismissing Maggie out of hand because "women don't stand up to REAL MEN".

I mean, it totally gels with what I already knew myself, but I was really not expecting it from an Argentinian.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

So why on earth would you fly a B-52 mission against Iraq out of CONUS? Or is wikipedia full of poo poo, and those were just the ferry flights or something?

No, Wikipedia isn't full of poo poo. It was done for various operational, logistical, and security reasons which I for the most part really don't remember. Basically Desert Storm was a pretty rationally run thing from the air side at least, but they still developed their planning with a healthy mix of Cold War heritage thinking (CONUS basing is more secure from interdiction), convenience of running at least the initial missions with full domestic log support to get a feel for things (I want to say including contractor stuff regarding certain munitions), and waiting how the dice rolled wrt local basing (do we want our showpiece murder machine operating from Arab soil? Will the Germans open up their bases so our ammo stocks there can be used? - yes to the former no to the latter).

quote:

On the other hand, the B-2 is actually only supposed to operate from American soil (including overseas possessions like Guam) right?
e: Nope, apparently they've operated out of RAF Fairford and Diego Garcia. Still crazy that they were flying strikes in Kosovo and Iraq out of Missouri.

You fly from the place where you're set-up and prepared. And it wasn't that hard to pull off with the big boys compared to the absurdity that was Black Buck.

We should probably get iyaayas here to explain.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
We continued to do this throughout the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan. On a fundamental level, the idea was that adding a dozen hours to a flight mission was less of an issue than adding to the already overburdened logistical requirements within the operational theater. They couldn't be based in Iraq itself due to safety concerns, and to the extent that allied NATO and regional nations were willing to host aviation assets conducting active bombing strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan, those hangars were dedicated to shorter-range aircraft that required them. Also there's the whole nuclear-capability issue. It's inefficient, but it's just easier than staging an entire heavy bomber wing in Germany and constantly soothing political feathers.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 2, 2015

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Arquinsiel posted:

They had no "legit" claim on the islands. Hitler had a 100x more legit claim on all of Europe than the Argentinians did for the Falklands to put it in perspective.

bloodsacrifice fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 2, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bloodsacrifice posted:

They had no "legit" claim on the islands. Hitler had a 100x more legit claim on all of Europe than the Argentinians did for the Falklands to put it in perspective.

Really? :allears: Please tell me more.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The best (and saddest) part of the entire war was when Argentina lost their precious battleship and tried to hide the fact with a heavy dose of censorship. Of course that didn't work out as planned, since it's hard to hide thousands of dead people in a war revolving around some really small islands. :allears:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

bloodsacrifice posted:

Congratulations on your terrible post.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Its a terrible post but strip out the hyperbole and I have a hard time arguing with a statement like "Argentina had as legitimate claim on the falklands as Hitler did on Paris". Given the legitimacy of both claims is exactly zero.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
That was my point but if you look at it as pedantically as possible you can read it as "Hitler was Awesome"

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

"He had no right to kill that dude. To look at it from another perspective, Hitler was 100x as justified to kill the Jews."

"dude what"

"obviously I'm saying neither was legitimate you pedantic fuckstain"

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Freudian posted:

"He had no right to kill that dude. To look at it from another perspective, Hitler was 100x as justified to kill the Jews."

"dude what"

"obviously I'm saying neither was legitimate you pedantic fuckstain"

It was really obvious what he meant, dude. Jfc

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I agree with bloodsacrifice. Hitler was excellent.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hitler's stated claim on Paris was "those darn poles... 'attacked' us, then these darn French declared war in support". Whereas the junta's claim was "uh our ancestors found the place about 300 years ago, also it's closer."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

You're telling me this anime is actually less historically accurate then world of tanks. :psyduck:

I didn't think that was physically possible. :froggonk:

How unrealistic is World of Tanks? I haven't played in a long, long time.

EDIT: To be clear, besides the engagement ranges and the lack of infantry.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 2, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

gradenko_2000 posted:

WoT uses the thickness of the armour on the tiger II to model it's toughness without taking the whole awful metallurgy into account. It also includes the leopard with the design requirement specs, even though the tank never actually existed and would not have been capable of meeting those requirements. wehraboo wet dream simulator.

Ensign Expendable is the one to post about it though, he's done several posts on his blog about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Your tank doesn't fire on the crosshairs but instead somewhere within a cone of inaccuracy, no matter how stationary you are. Everything about armor pen, modules, and damage is a dice roll.

Also they have neatly-appointed battles with two teams of equal size where you can have as many tigers on the field as T-34s. Those T-34s by the way can fire every two seconds from the 57mm gun, and the tigers about every eight from their 88mm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Your tank doesn't fire on the crosshairs but instead somewhere within a cone of inaccuracy, no matter how stationary you are. Everything about armor pen, modules, and damage is a dice roll.
Oh. Huh. Yeah that'd about do it all right. Thanks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well I think the main thing is that it treats tank combat as a game of hitting each other repeatedly to deplete hp, and not 'get hit in the wrong place and you're hosed'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

Well I think the main thing is that it treats tank combat as a game of hitting each other repeatedly to deplete hp, and not 'get hit in the wrong place and you're hosed'.

That too. Just kill a tank by plinking away at its leading road wheel.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Are there any good realistic tank videogames? Or has nobody done it because the reality is tank warfare is boring and poo poo?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Splode posted:

Are there any good realistic tank videogames? Or has nobody done it because the reality is tank warfare is boring and poo poo?

There's a line past which realism stops being a worthwhile addition to gameplay, things like your tiger crew being a bunch of green-rear end kids with a handful of lovely shells because the Reich is loving collapsing, or spawning as a tank crew waiting on the side of the road for retrieval within friendly territory because you had a gasket blow out and then stripped a bunch of teeth off the transmission coming to a halt, or in a DD Sherman that capsizes in the surf 300yds from shore at Normandy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Wasn't there that one Sherman roguelike?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Splode posted:

I kinda like how it's done in Men of War, though it intensely understates how hard it is to repair a tank, and the training requirements to drive one.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Splode posted:

WoT uses the thickness of the armour on the tiger II to model it's toughness without taking the whole awful metallurgy into account.
It also only takes into account the effective thickness of sloped armor and not the additional effects it has on shells. For example in the game the T-54 turret is stronger than hull despite the opposite being true in real life.

E: Here's a chart from Technology of Tanks to demonstrate what I mean:

T___A fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I went looking for Ensigns Expendable's tank blog and it's :krad:.

I'm kinda curious though, does Ensign run any other blogs?

By the way, your English is excellent.

• Locked thread