Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!
Got Microcosm with two other people, on balance I like Cooperative Focus but the Vex mind fight in Ascent is absolutely bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ponzicar posted:

Splintered is the most elite title. Lots of people want to get raid loot. But do you know how hard it is to find a buddy to grind out dozens of a very specific public event on Europa?

You don’t need a buddy, just do vanguard ops and every time you get one on Europa, gently caress off and look for brigs u til you get joining alliesed!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We were doing the final raid boss with 4 titans and it was very hard

and then we swapped to 4 hunters and it was very easy

I like the reverse Kingsfall they did here where we beat a raid boss and he just fucks off to go fight us for real in the story mode

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We were doing the final raid boss with 4 titans and it was very hard

and then we swapped to 4 hunters and it was very easy

I like the reverse Kingsfall they did here where we beat a raid boss and he just fucks off to go fight us for real in the story mode

So what's the go with that? Like why are Titan's struggling so much with it compared to Hunters? And also what are Warlocks doing no one is talking about them at all lol

I get that Hunters running Nighthawk GG + Wild Hunt is the EZ GG build, but what's going on that's pulling back Titans? Is it the lack of applicable supers? Or some other things going on? Genuinely curious to what you think.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

syntaxfunction posted:

So what's the go with that? Like why are Titan's struggling so much with it compared to Hunters? And also what are Warlocks doing no one is talking about them at all lol

I get that Hunters running Nighthawk GG + Wild Hunt is the EZ GG build, but what's going on that's pulling back Titans? Is it the lack of applicable supers? Or some other things going on? Genuinely curious to what you think.

Yeah, I think it's the lack of supers that titans can use during the fight. His last stand in particular is brutal. It feels like it's half as long as a usual last stand! Burst supers are really important for it.

The fight is long range, so basically every titan super is worthless against him, and they even gave the witness a special attack that bypasses sentinel shield and kills anyone trying to hide behind it

I don't want to sound overly dramatic here but it feels like the witness fight was designed by somebody whose dog got run over by a titan

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like lack of burst and ranged supers and heavy focus on roaming supers has been a complaint in general for ages, especially for Titans. I remember everyone losing their minds when Arc Hunters got a non roaming super lmao

Honestly it's a bit of a sore point how little choice folks have with a lot of subclass supers. I would've thought at least one ranged and one roaming would be standard by now.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Witness's last stand is absurd. Tons of HP for a short time period, after a brutal fight where you're almost certainly short on ammo. If you're not real familiar with the dance you're also probably short a guardian or two since the DPS phase plays like an old arcade game designed to eat quarters.

Practice and having reasonable surges is gonna do a ton for the clear rates.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

surges are getting removed so no they will not

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Surely they won't remove our leg mods that make the gun shoot harder.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

At least now I can be insufferable and tell people that I Remember when you had to match a Surge to clear a raid hoh hoh you casuals have it too easy.

While leaving out that I basically only swapped in Cloudstrike, still died way more than I should have, and still noted how bullshit that Final Stand is when we wiped to it the first time.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kith posted:

surges are getting removed so no they will not
Turns out the surge thing is even worse than we thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGULbeAiBQ

According to Aegis, who does damage testing spreadsheets and late-game meta setups, the -5 + surges are actually dropping your DPS to 70% or so of what it was pre TFS. Even with the rotator surge, you're still down by 15% damage from what you were doing pre TFS because of the -5 LL cap for outgoing damage. In practice, this means with matching surges, leg mods, and well of radiance, you need about 50% more ammo to kill a boss than before (calculated using Xenophage as a baseline).

Turns out we got hit by a LL nerf and a survivability nerf pre TFS which hosed up normal raiding pretty badly. As Aegis puts it, all this change really did was mandate that we just have one of each flavor of a weapon - a sword boss is still a sword boss whether you're running an Abide the Return, a Bequest, or a Falling Guillotine.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Bungie has no sense of humor, if it was up to me I would have a random weapon that no one would try do like 500% damage more on the witness for the lulz

Ex:

Truth
Fighting Lion
Salvation’s grip
The Queenbreaker
etc…

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Question about Epic and Steam ownership for this.

When I played before I owned Forsaken on Steam. Then I got the Legacy Collection 2023 on Epic for free in December. I see that comes with Shadowkeep, Beyond Light, and Witch Queen. I'm interested in the raids, so would I play on Epic and work through those raids and then when it's time for Lightfall, I buy that on Steam and start playing there again? Same for Final Shape?

Sounds like dungeons are a new thing that I haven't seen before. Are those actually challenging 3-man things compared to Strikes?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sestze posted:

As Aegis puts it, all this change really did was mandate that we just have one of each flavor of a weapon - a sword boss is still a sword boss whether you're running an Abide the Return, a Bequest, or a Falling Guillotine.

This is how I feel like 68% of the time, but also you end up with things like the Witness fight where some surges have an outsized benefit compared to others. Yeah you can swap from an arc linear to a solar linear, but getting a juiced GG & Still Hunt is worth a hell of a lot more than a surging Gathering Storm!

There are a million different activities and types of Boss DPS in the game, so I don't really mind when a surge is better for some activities than others, but there are a few outliers where the winning play is "Wait 1-2 weeks until it is Easy"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KingKapalone posted:

Sounds like dungeons are a new thing that I haven't seen before. Are those actually challenging 3-man things compared to Strikes?

More or less, yeah. The mechanics are more complicated than strikes and you have to understand what you're doing to make progress, but they don't wipe you on failure (for the most part)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are simplified mechanics compared to raids, and the major difference is there are no enrage timers or anything. Dungeons are designed so you can solo them if you want, so if you need 10 damage phases to kill a boss it will let you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Strike: shoot the boss a lot. it goes invulnerable. shoot the key enemy. boss is vulnerable again, shoot it some more. if you gently caress this up, respawn yourself and keep going

Dungeon: the boss is invulnerable. shoot the key enemy. find and shoot the second key enemy. you get a symbol. find and stand on the symbol. now you can shoot the boss for 30 seconds. if you gently caress this up, someone will rez you and resume from step 1

Raid: player 1 shoots the key enemy and calls out the thing it dropped. player 2 finds the corresponding other thing and dunks it. player 3 stands on the plate the dunk unlocked. players 4, 5, and 6 are simultaneously doing a different variant of this. if you both finish at about the same time, you may shoot the boss for 30 seconds. if you gently caress this up all of you die and the encounter starts over

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is how I feel like 68% of the time, but also you end up with things like the Witness fight where some surges have an outsized benefit compared to others. Yeah you can swap from an arc linear to a solar linear, but getting a juiced GG & Still Hunt is worth a hell of a lot more than a surging Gathering Storm!

There are a million different activities and types of Boss DPS in the game, so I don't really mind when a surge is better for some activities than others, but there are a few outliers where the winning play is "Wait 1-2 weeks until it is Easy"

You're simply too much of a coward to get the World's First 6 Queenbreaker Witness Kill.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just don't have that dawg in me

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!
(That was a joke but Queenbreaker is a cool gun and people should use it more)

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
What are people's favorite unpopular exotics?

Mine's Vexcalibur, love using it when not doing Well but I still want to be support

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TurkeyFried posted:

Mine's Vexcalibur, love using it when not doing Well but I still want to be support

If we're including armor I love trick shotting with Athrys' Embrace

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

TurkeyFried posted:

Runious Effigy.

So much fun :allears:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TurkeyFried posted:

Telesto

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've always liked Skyburner's, even for the multiple years it was so bad I wouldn't even use it as a joke.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I haven't been super wow'd by Ergo Sum yet but I will say that the Riskrunner version is completely insane in content where you take arc damage!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

syntaxfunction posted:

Lack of relevant abilities. Titans only have one burst damage super (Twilight Arsenal) and it's not very good on the Witness -- they're prone to tracking to his hands instead of his weak spot, and even if you hit, the axes stay out at a distance so you can't re-throw them. His attacks penetrate both Banner Shield and Bubble. And the inability to melee means you can't start any relevant ability loops (Banner of War, etc.)

So, as a Titan, basically all you can contribute to Witness damage phases is gun DPS. At best, if you're running Void, you can drop a barricade behind you to grant people a very miniscule smidgen of overshield.

To be clear, gun DPS can be fine, if you're not an idiot and can dodge attacks and hit crits. I was consistently doing 3-4M DPS this week with Reeds Regret, swapping to Still Hunt when I ran out of heavy ammo. But it's not going to contribute as much to the fireteam overall as a Warlock (who can drop a well in the center or throw out a long-distance melee to grant Radiant, while they shoot their gun) or Hunter (undisputed burst DPS kings).

e: One option, if you're fast, is to run Bubble with Saint-14 Helm and drop it on the platform before it starts rising; it will rise so that only your feet are in the bubble, enough to pick up Weapons of Light and a minor overshield. But that's committing to a non-neutral exotic to give something that's worse than well. Just run a Warlock or Hunter instead.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 24, 2024

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

aledesma posted:

Bungie has no sense of humor, if it was up to me I would have a random weapon that no one would try do like 500% damage more on the witness for the lulz

Ex:

Truth
Fighting Lion
Salvation’s grip
The Queenbreaker
etc…

While we're at it:

Denouement: White Quality Damaged Travelers Chosen will one shot the Witness.

My favorite hated/least used exotic is Jade Rabbit. With the catalyst done and at the right distance in PVP it performs so well as its type that I would name the exotic perk "gently caress around and Find Out." Wish it was that good in PVE but I use it anyway.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 24, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I refuse to use The Queenbreaker until they rename it back to Queenbreaker's Bow and make it special ammo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ullerrm posted:

Lack of relevant abilities. Titans only have one burst damage super (Twilight Arsenal) and it's not very good on the Witness -- they're prone to tracking to his hands instead of his weak spot, and even if you hit, the axes stay out at a distance so you can't re-throw them. His attacks penetrate both Banner Shield and Bubble. And the inability to melee means you can't start any relevant ability loops (Banner of War, etc.)

So, as a Titan, basically all you can contribute to Witness damage phases is gun DPS. At best, if you're running Void, you can drop a barricade behind you to grant people a very miniscule smidgen of overshield.

To be clear, gun DPS can be fine, if you're not an idiot and can dodge attacks and hit crits. I was consistently doing 3-4M DPS this week with Reeds Regret, swapping to Still Hunt when I ran out of heavy ammo. But it's not going to contribute as much to the fireteam overall as a Warlock (who can drop a well in the center or throw out a long-distance melee to grant Radiant, while they shoot their gun) or Hunter (undisputed burst DPS kings).

e: One option, if you're fast, is to run Bubble with Saint-14 Helm and drop it on the platform before it starts rising; it will rise so that only your feet are in the bubble, enough to pick up Weapons of Light and a minor overshield. But that's committing to a non-neutral exotic to give something that's worse than well. Just run a Warlock or Hunter instead.

I spent a couple minutes on youtube trying to confirm if it is even possible for six titans to defeat the Witness and could not find anything to support it. I'm genuinely unsure if you can do his last stand with gun DPS alone!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

TurkeyFried posted:

No Backup Plans with Lord of Wolves.

They updated NBP to key on "Void super" instead of "Void subclass" so you can run it with prismatic, where Asset of Purpose ensures that you'll keep up the overshield and damage bonus as long as you keep slaying out. It's not good, but it's a lot of fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I haven't been super wow'd by Ergo Sum yet but I will say that the Riskrunner version is completely insane in content where you take arc damage!

Does the sword proc arc conductor when you take damage too? I know you can activate it with a heavy swing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Wave Frame Telesto ("Unplanned Reprieve") in void is fun, it also kills fliers and witches.

So far I am in too in love with Khovstov and Microcosm to use it as often though~

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I spent a couple minutes on youtube trying to confirm if it is even possible for six titans to defeat the Witness and could not find anything to support it. I'm genuinely unsure if you can do his last stand with gun DPS alone!

https://youtu.be/6dmElmvIjuE?si=P-JE1H104QaB7qEo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does the sword proc arc conductor when you take damage too? I know you can activate it with a heavy swing.

Yeah the offensive part of the ability is great & does not require you to take any arc damage. The exotic is just even better when you get to extract benefit from the defensive part of the ability, too!

(for reference, you proc the exotic ability for 6 seconds by landing a heavy attack, and during those 6 seconds you have 50% DR to arc damage, and also you pulse lightning bolts all around you every 1.5 second)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hahaha god drat, that answers that! Weapons are definitely enough for last stand.

At the same time, it's rather telling that they basically got no utility from their class/subclass/exotic during DPS and did the entire thing on the back of cloudstrike & a cascade point grenade launcher. You could do this same thing, as warlocks or hunters, and get it done in fewer phases or maybe even as a 2man!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I just don’t think Titans are a real class

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

they're not

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress, I need to hurry up and kill the bad dude so I can get the one fragment I need to make yet another stupid build lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

I just don’t think Titans are a real class

That’s right.