Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

So... feel good social justice paragraphs: Real growth or corporately mandated penance for -2 STR females?

The real thing I'm looking forward to is rape references in the half-orc section in a game marketed to twelve year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The real thing I'm looking forward to is rape references in the half-orc section in a game marketed to (mentally) twelve year olds.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
110 pages.

71 uses of "magic"
11 uses of "magical"
185 of "spell"/"spells"
18 uses of "cast"/"casts"

0 uses of "fight"/"fights"
0 uses of "punch"
7 uses of "sword"
64 uses of "weapon"/"weapons"

12 uses of "wizard"
6 uses of "fighter"
13 uses of "cleric"
6 uses of "rogue"

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 4, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

petrol blue posted:

They managed to put 'transsexual' alongside 'ladyboy elf' and 'bearded lady dwarf'. I don't think too much thought went into it.

ehh, it's all loving with 'traditional gender norms'. I'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt on this one.

if nothing else.

Dec 26, 2012

petrol blue posted:

They managed to put 'transsexual' alongside 'ladyboy elf' and 'bearded lady dwarf'. I don't think too much thought went into it.

Also, can anyone think of a reason why D&D uses 'always round down'? It annoys the crap out of me, and I don't know enough about game design to tell if there's a legit reason to do it.

ill give them the benefit of the doubt for attempting, if poorly

re: rounding, just chopping the decimal off every number is faster than processing whether to round down or up. alternatively its tradition but thats a good reason if they need one to steal

LongDarkNight posted:

Fake daddy took away the Monk's cellphone. His enjoyment of Next has diminished significantly.

this is what happens when you dont have proficiency with playing cards

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Yeah, you're right. Regardless of motive, it's a Good Thing to have in the book, I shouldn't be checking teeth on the only horse for miles around.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Generic Octopus posted:

So the question I have in my head now is: Why would anyone play a fighter? Like, really, what does it have that anyone would look at it and go "Yes, I want to play as this."
new players
the majority of new players, probably
will play this boring poo poo, and then never play rpgs again

Dec 26, 2012

people who "play" d&d (ie make the dirt simplest class ever and tune out with a laptop out) will probably find no fault with the fighter, i mean whats the big deal anyway? if i wanted a complicated class id make a wizard

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I will give the developers credit on one thing.

This was probably a loving nightmare behind the scenes. Staff leaving, disastrous early reports, fighting the Grognards over every loving little thing- I think they were finally given a hard deadline, little time to meet it, and came up with some tweaking to rules that already existed.

Basically this was the RPG equivalent of the fourth season of Community.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
yeah, they sure fought the grognards over heaps of stuff

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
when i think of people with convictions and/or some sort of creative vision that they're willing to go to ground for i think of mike mearls and his merry men

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, though- they had to even over the tiniest concessions to the 4e crowd. Things like Second Wind and DoaM (if it's still anywhere in the game) would not have fixed this, but HOLY loving poo poo the flame wars.

Dec 26, 2012

mike mearls, furiously tapping away at a DOS word processor for that original d&d 'feel', THIS MACHINE KILLS GROGNARDS emblazoned in a blood-gravy mixture on the back

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing, though- they had to even over the tiniest concessions to the 4e crowd. Things like Second Wind and DoaM (if it's still anywhere in the game) would not have fixed this, but HOLY loving poo poo the flame wars.

those things are just there so they can be removed to flatter the community

damage on a miss, for instance, IS still in the game. wizard cantrips get it at level 6

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, Mearls does have a 'creative vision', it's just that it is called 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons. First he fought hard to turn 4e into it with the re-introduction of martial automatons and finally got a whole new edition to realise his big dream.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
granted I'm fairly sure this all started when Heinsoo was forced out. In retrospect I don't think 4 would have been abandoned if he were still there, Pathfinder or no.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Littlefinger posted:

Oh, Mearls does have a 'creative vision', it's just that it is called 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons. First he fought hard to turn 4e into it with the re-introduction of martial automatons and finally got a whole new edition to realise his big dream.

more specifically it's called "the past". even 3rd edition, on its own, had some kind of driving force behind it towards standardization, customizability, etc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Littlefinger posted:

But this isn't even third, in all its folly. It's the least offensive to the largest number version of "traditional" D&D rules.

It's Mike Mearls' Dragon-Related Entertainment Product.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

yeah, they sure fought the grognards over heaps of stuff

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

petrol blue posted:

Y'all seem to have missed the fact the Warlord's retarded cousin is the defender - from the maneuvers:

:saddowns:
lol i just remembered something

fighter powers require both a hit (at least in some cases?)

and a saving throw for them to have their effect
it seems fighter powers give you

two chances to miss

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Ferrinus posted:

when i think of people with convictions and/or some sort of creative vision that they're willing to go to ground for i think of mike mearls and his merry men

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I've said this before, but I really think this version is substantially worse than 3e.
3e at least felt mutable, the way that so many things were split up into feats, and how you got a sense that you could yank things around. You could make changes to the standards for skills, or add new feats, and it would trickle into the martial characters.
Here, everything feels like you can't see the seams, can't figure out how to change anything, since it's just this one solid mass. Features like that fighter's completely bullshit "jump a little further" just solidfy the standards of how the world works. Before, you could change how far a roll of 20 for jump got you, if the default was too little. Now, you also have to change this loving bullshit fighter feature, which is almost just there to really drive home exactly how (un)impressive a fighter of that level is supposed to be and exactly what kinds of adventures and characters you're meant to be dealing with.

This is not a game that makes sense as having 20 levels and describing high level characters as having adventures that shake the fabric of the multiverse, and it really bothers me just how static the fictional representation is meant to be.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
...I've just had a great idea for a game:

game posted:

Friend Computer has assigned you a very special task!

Edition 253 of "Commies & Catastrophies" has sparked a civil war, with the citizens of block TSR refusing to co-operate with those of PAI and WTC! Luckily, you're going to be heroes, and make a new edition! A better edition! One which will have all of everyone's favourite rules! We've made your email addresses public, and you have several thousand new mails, so get cracking!

Ultraviolets are so grogs.

e: Oh, and good luck balancing the Hygiene Officer.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 4, 2014

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

A Catastrophe posted:

two chances to miss

i love that it doesnt affect anything like saving throws and doesnt have a punishment effect either, so the victim is still free to use things that dont require attack rolls on whatever he wants

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

LongDarkNight posted:

For anyone interested in what the other "Warlord" Fighter Archetype looks like.

http://imgur.com/9EMBw2f

http://imgur.com/XM3b1Os

http://imgur.com/pZ5wmdn

yeah srsly check it for most maneuvers
you have to not only hit your target, but hope that they don't save well

what do you think are the odds of ever actually knocking somebody prone or something when two d20 rolls each have to swing your way?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

So... feel good social justice paragraphs: Real growth or corporately mandated penance for -2 STR females?

They figured worst case it'd be the only thing worth praising in the entire document.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

01011001 posted:

people who "play" d&d (ie make the dirt simplest class ever and tune out with a laptop out) will probably find no fault with the fighter, i mean whats the big deal anyway? if i wanted a complicated class id make a wizard

no, really, fighters are a hugely popular class for first timers, and most first timers never play again

to say nothing of the legion of people who 'play' and never really play, or act out or drop out, or never turn up, or all the other things 'bad players' do (often because of bad design)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

A Catastrophe posted:

two chances to miss

man, two chances to miss was literally from the original ycs. how far we've come

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Don't forget it has no effect on targets that already have disadvantage on the attack roll, which casters will obviously be MUCH better at applying to targets.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

A Catastrophe posted:

yeah srsly check it for most maneuvers
you have to not only hit your target, but hope that they don't save well

what do you think are the odds of ever actually knocking somebody prone or something when two d20 rolls each have to swing your way?

it'd approach 100% if fighters were allowed to do it at-will, luckily they have to expend their per-encounter pool of dice to even try

Dec 26, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

no, really, fighters are a hugely popular class for first timers, and most first timers never play again

to say nothing of the legion of people who 'play' and never really play, or act out or drop out, or never turn up, or all the other things 'bad players' do (often because of bad design)

yeah i was more talking about the second part, which is like 3/4 of the people i gamed with in college

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

there is no evidence that they ever did anything but hurl 4e fans under the train as quickly and as often as they could

people keep re-calibrating and chifting the goalposts and saying 'at least' but that's a fraudulent process
in reality, this is nothing like 4e, and in no way an effort to make room for players of 4e

they were working as hard as they could to ignore 4e and it's fans for the better part of 4 years
occasionally, for about 5 minutes, they would sit down and write a lie in one of their colums about how 'fighters are really good now' or 'this is like 4e'.
what remains of 4e isn't fought over territory, it's the very least they could get away with

even the occasionally good things in the system aren't from 4e in any real sense!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
5e fighters spend 4e power points to activate 4e at-wills

Dec 26, 2012

01011001 posted:

yeah i was more talking about the second part, which is like 3/4 of the people i gamed with in college

who were ardent anti-4e, and are now pro-PF, i should add

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

d&d 4e is much harder to pretend to play than any previous edition

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying Mearls is some kind of frustrated artist, I'm saying the entire process was almost guaranteed to produce a mediocre-at-best game.

He is Jean Douminian and this is SNL 1980.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Attorney at Funk posted:

it'd approach 100% if fighters were allowed to do it at-will, luckily they have to expend their per-encounter pool of dice to even try
even if you could hurl 2 attacks a round at say, proning something, what are the odds of both hitting, and them failing the save?
because both those dice have to fall in your favour

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

01011001 posted:

AND 3/4 OF THOSE PEOPLE WERE LIKE THAT BECAUSE OF poo poo CLASSES

First game they ever play: Boring poo poo where only the wizard gets to do anything
Second Game: They search a room for an hour
Third Game: They try something clever but well, mister carter can't have that

9th Game: Dice out Laptop out semi-absentee player 4 lyfe

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

d&d 4e is much harder to pretend to play than any previous edition

at one point the most "experienced" one in the group was asked by the dm where his wizards spellbook was. he held up the phb quizzically and there was a moment of confusion before everyone started screaming at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It shouldn't be too hard to rejigger 4e so that one of the at-wills is the fighter's normal attack, so if the lazy guy wants to just attack over and over you just use that power again and again.

Won't be as good as someone who actually uses all the powers they have access to, but you can at least train them from that. "Hey, this might be a good opportunity to do this instead."

• Locked thread