Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think you're all losing sight of what's really important when it comes to Superman: whether or not he would beat up Goku in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think you're all losing sight of what's really important when it comes to Superman: whether or not he would beat up Goku in a fight.

He would because Dragonball is stupid and Superman is a real American hero

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cellophane S posted:

He would because Dragonball is stupid and Superman is a real American hero

He's an illegal alien.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's an illegal alien.

Naturalized Citizen thanks to being adopted.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Naturalized Citizen thanks to being adopted.

Where's the Birth Certificate?!

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Lex Luthor's blog says there isn't one!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wouldn't need one according to the Child Citizenship act of 2000; he would fall under an IR-4 visa (orphan, non-hague country). Alternately, assuming the Kents don't mention the baby is a space alien they'd be adopting a recordless orphan who would be presumed a natural born citizen.

The point here is that Superman should superrun for office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barudak posted:

The point here is that Superman should superrun for office.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 14, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anything that was part of the Armageddon 2001 line needs to be ignored and didn't happen. Not comic book didn't happen but comic book double didn't happen.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Holy poo poo that scene of him flying over the field needs to be seen in IMAX

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dirk Digglet posted:

Holy poo poo that scene of him flying over the field needs to be seen in IMAX

I've never seen a non-doctumentary motion picture in IMAX before.

There's a first time for everything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Were any scenes filmed with IMAX cameras?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 15, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My favorite Superman story is probably a silver age story I think entitled " The girl who didn't believe in Superman". Basically it was the story of a blind girl who didn't believe in Superman and Superman trying to prove that he was Superman. Eventually he gives up takes her to a hospital reads all of the medical texts and then operates on her brain and cures her sight to prove that he is Superman.

That's the Superman I want to see in films.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollis posted:

My favorite Superman story is probably a silver age story I think entitled " The girl who didn't believe in Superman". Basically it was the story of a blind girl who didn't believe in Superman and Superman trying to prove that he was Superman. Eventually he gives up takes her to a hospital reads all of the medical texts and then operates on her brain and cures her sight to prove that he is Superman.

That's the Superman I want to see in films.

Did he then super yell her deaf right before flying out the window to torment Jimmy Olsen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

Did he then super yell her deaf right before flying out the window to torment Jimmy Olsen?

It was not torment. It was to teach him a lesson, like always knock before you enter a room or do not yell.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler about Jimmy Olsen, click if you wish.

http://i.imgur.com/NAoDXXp.jpg

I mean JENNY OLSEN :3:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Pretty sure that's on sone superman comic book somewhere.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Yep, Jenny Olsen isn't without precedence.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yeah, that's not the first time something along those lines has occured.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I'm sad about is that they didn't make Jimmy a redhead.

Come on, he's ALWAYS a red head regardless of what he turns into!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd even settle on a blonde since we've got Amy Adams fronting the redhead department.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

PaganGoatPants posted:

My favorite part is how "Oh, for gently caress's sake, get out of my way." the woman immediately behind Jenny is in this.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The trailers are all pitching Superman as a Messiah-like figure here to inspire humanity to greatness. But it turns out that using Superman as a role model discourages people because they don't think they can match up to him. I think the comic books have understood this for a long time, because it's been a while since this theme appeared. I remember in Infinite Crisis or something that the Batman said "the last time [Superman] inspired anyone was when [he] was dead."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes but that was also dark uber Batman era when every writer took Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and drove Batman into the ground, burns left and right and doing poo poo not even Superman could do. To the point that Frank Miller's All Star Batman drove the piss out of Batman in part as a comment of what Batman had become.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a whole lot of correlation and not a lot of causation going on in that study.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

PaganGoatPants posted:

To be honest, that's not the worst thing to happen to Jimmy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is that the first piece of media with Fishburne in it? I don't recall seeing him in any trailers or other promo photos.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fishburne lookin' chuuunky.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is that the first piece of media with Fishburne in it? I don't recall seeing him in any trailers or other promo photos.

No, I've seen him somewhere else too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fishburne lookin' chuuunky.

He's been fat since the Matrix Reloaded.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Yeah, he's been in the trailers running from Metropolis getting wrecked.

Personally, if it makes fans happy just pretend that Jimmy transitioned to Jenny. (He said, knowing full well how shockingly regressive fans can be.) I mean, if any character's going to have those tendencies it'll be Jimmy. There could even be a good story in it - having Jenny be blackmailed by, say, Luthor in the sequel where he's threatening to reveal who she used to be, and the tide only turns when Superman or Clark or Lois convinces Jenny that people will accept her even if they know she's trans.

Also, I think it's kind of neat that between Faora, Martha Kent, Lara Lor-Van, Lois Lane and Jenny Olsen there are a lot of female characters in this movie. There should be. It's 2013.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

He's been fat since the Matrix Reloaded.

Yup.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Women who can pull off short hair look so drat good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

S.J. posted:

No, I've seen him somewhere else too.

He was in the very first full-length trailer, in a quick shot running away from some destruction in the city.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Women who can pull off short hair look so drat good.

Amen to that. I also like that her chest shield almost looks like an "F", it's just missing a teeny bit of extra stylization to connect that last dot.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 16, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is anyone a big enough fan of Jimmy Olsen to care about this? I mean, really?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Jimmy Olsen brought us Darkseid. :colbert:

(No.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So is it bad that I'm ridiculously stoked for this movie? I haven't been this excited for a film in years.

I'm so jaded from earlier burns though. :ohdear:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Is anyone a big enough fan of Jimmy Olsen to care about this? I mean, really?

Anyone who's a big enough fan of Jimmy Olsen to care should be more than capable of rationalizing it vis-a-vis the Silver Age. A better question might be "are they actually going to do enough with the Olsen character, whatever his/her gender may be, to make this change relevant?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thwomp posted:

So is it bad that I'm ridiculously stoked for this movie? I haven't been this excited for a film in years.

I'm so jaded from earlier burns though. :ohdear:

I've got a near permanent nerd boner for this movie. I'm right there with ya buddy.

• Locked thread