Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who said anything about SAS?

I'd maybe like to see another mode that holds your attitude with respect to the horizon, rather than infinity/absolute. It could be a gimmick for aircraft-like pods maybe. As is, I don't get the feeling that trim works with SAS either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I figured out that CKAN just doesn't like the x64 version which is a little disappointing, so I just went with ATM x86. Sadly the IRC channel seemed dead and I couldn't find a decent answer so, can you just jam mods into the CKAN folder and have it see them or something? I wanted to stick in a couple of mods it doesn't have that I really like.

Also I haven't played since like 0.25 but I wanted to try out remotetech. Any recommended videos or something to walk through usage? I threw up a couple satellites in sandbox mode and they don't seem to be controllable even if they appear to be daisy-chained together so I'm a little lost there.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Synnr posted:

So I figured out that CKAN just doesn't like the x64 version which is a little disappointing, so I just went with ATM x86. Sadly the IRC channel seemed dead and I couldn't find a decent answer so, can you just jam mods into the CKAN folder and have it see them or something? I wanted to stick in a couple of mods it doesn't have that I really like.

Also I haven't played since like 0.25 but I wanted to try out remotetech. Any recommended videos or something to walk through usage? I threw up a couple satellites in sandbox mode and they don't seem to be controllable even if they appear to be daisy-chained together so I'm a little lost there.

Just put whatever non-CKAN mods you want into the GameData directory along with whatever mods CKAN's installs - same folder. Even though CKAN won't recognize it, Kerbal will and it'll load like normal. I don't use the x64 version of ATM either.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Huh, looks like the features video for 0.91 is out:

click here oh my god im so excited

I'm really liking the look of the changes they're making to how ISP works between space and sea level, will really let them open up more engines without making them all seem the same.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
5'd...again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Who said anything about SAS?

I'd maybe like to see another mode that holds your attitude with respect to the horizon, rather than infinity/absolute. It could be a gimmick for aircraft-like pods maybe. As is, I don't get the feeling that trim works with SAS either.

I did.

SAS Isn't great for planes but it has it's uses getting particularly finicky craft off the runway sometimes.
I tried it with my wrong-o-plane and it went kind of nuts.

An avionics / basic autopilot for planes would be so useful. Flying places on Kerbin seems to consist of getting the plane to the target altitude, getting the velocity, heading, pitch etc. right and then doing the awful grind of tweaking it whenever it drifts too far or just starts doing something for some reason.

The inability to have planes do that is why ages back in KSP I got good at launching ICBMs. It was easier to slap together a crude rocket and pretty much send it on a ballistic suborbital trajectory than spending 1/2 hour plus flying a plane to drop something off.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
KSP now locks up when I mouse-over the contracts toolbar button in-flight.

I can't figure out what's causing it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So if I go out and install all of roverdudes modes, life support, some other of his reccomended stuff, that will give me the ability to mine multiple resources, ship parts and such to bases for repair and things, set up orbital bases, build resource chains and all that? Jesus christ it sounds amazing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spookydonut posted:

KSP now locks up when I mouse-over the contracts toolbar button in-flight.

I can't figure out what's causing it.

I was having that issue after I installed coherent contracts. Uninstalling it fixed the problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
1 Minmus mission fulfilling 2 survey contracts. ~850 science and somewhere around 700K funds :toot:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

M_Gargantua posted:

I was having that issue after I installed coherent contracts. Uninstalling it fixed the problem.

For me it was apparently Contract configurator/Contract Pack:RemoteTech

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Drone_Fragger posted:

This is how 2001 should have ended.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Otacon posted:

Just put whatever non-CKAN mods you want into the GameData directory along with whatever mods CKAN's installs - same folder. Even though CKAN won't recognize it, Kerbal will and it'll load like normal. I don't use the x64 version of ATM either.

Solid, I'll have to find updated mods and see if that welding one is still getting fan updates!

As an aside, can anyone explain to me what the B9 guy is talking about saying the stock drag model is no longer supported? I don't care for FAR or NEAR and I'm just going to yank it out and ignore all the new stuff there if it seriously is just going to gently caress up when I try to use it.

e; Uhhhh my rockets will not launch. I thought maybe the upgraded pad was clipping into the nozzles and holding onto them but I bought the gantry and my rockets just kind of stay in position. Has anyone encountered this before?? Its just mods available on CKAN at the moment and I reaaallly don't want to go through all of them to see whats up with it. Just the first stage engines won't move, after that they will move but get all wonky and won't fly straight.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 13, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spookydonut posted:

For me it was apparently Contract configurator/Contract Pack:RemoteTech

Might have been the same for me then. I updated those at the same time I removed coherent contracts. Problem is still "Fixed" for the moment.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Synnr posted:

e; Uhhhh my rockets will not launch. I thought maybe the upgraded pad was clipping into the nozzles and holding onto them but I bought the gantry and my rockets just kind of stay in position. Has anyone encountered this before?? Its just mods available on CKAN at the moment and I reaaallly don't want to go through all of them to see whats up with it. Just the first stage engines won't move, after that they will move but get all wonky and won't fly straight.

I get the sticky launchpad glitch pretty often, 90% of the time using the red launch struts fix it for me.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Synnr posted:

Super-basic check, are you triggering the launch clamps in the first stage so they actually release? All of the times I've had sticky launchpad issues post-0.90 the clamps have fixed it.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I lost three brave kerbals on the Mun, trapped on a slope which had tipped there craft over they pleaded for rescue. I took one of them on a 2km journey to find a flat area for the rescue ship to land. This is important.

Rescue arrives, lands right where I need it to, first kerbal is rescued. Second kerbal leaves their old ship and successfully navigates the downward slope to safety. Third kerbal leaves their old ship and engages jetbacks like he was controlled with strings by some insane impatient god. Plowed that kerbal into the ground too fast, he dead.

Rescue ship takes off, makes it back to the home planet. The crew is ecstatic, parachutes deploy, not enough parachutes. The passenger module I was carrying is destroyed on impact. All the rescued kerbals are dead.

I really like this game.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into orbit with enough fuel to make it anywhere past that second moon (Munin?). I build my rockets larger but they don't seem to ever make it to orbit with enough fuel/stages to make it Duna and land. It is most distressing. What's the advice for making it to another planet?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

I get the sticky launchpad glitch pretty often, 90% of the time using the red launch struts fix it for me.

Yeah thats what I meant by the gantry. Was a no-go.

Supraluminal posted:

Super-basic check, are you triggering the launch clamps in the first stage so they actually release? All of the times I've had sticky launchpad issues post-0.90 the clamps have fixed it.

It isn't that gantry isn't letting go, the first stages just don't seem to be projecting any force. When I release the clamps, it just sits there at full blast until i trigger the next stage. I was wondering if I was mis-guessing my mass but nope!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's almost certainly possible to do it that way (building everything into one rocket and shedding stages) but if you're feeling ambitious and have the parts you can try assembling a craft in-orbit with docking ports.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get RoverDude's Packrat rover to work properly. But I want it to work so badly (SO CUTE :3: )

I've tried a whole bunch of different deployment scenarios at the launchpad, and they all gently caress up for one reason or another:

Try to put rover in the deployment cage with a stack separator on the roof rack. Rover doesn't drop when I separate. If I EVA and push on the cage, the rover drops but has wacky physics interactions with the (now moving) cage.

Try to put rover in deployment cage with two clamp-o-trons holding it up. When I tell the clamp to separate, the game drops to 0.1 FPS for some reason.

Try to put rover parts in KAS storage modules and build it on the pad. I put down a ground pylon and fix the front section to it (just as he says in the mod's thread). I pick up the front chassis, and I don't get any "attach" action with it for some reason.

When I try to drive the rover around the launch pad area, the game gets really strange and the camera doesn't want to track it properly. Something makes the camera point at the rover, but it only positions itself halfway between the rover and the pad, so as I drive away I get too tiny and can't steer anymore.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hatesfreedom posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into orbit with enough fuel to make it anywhere past that second moon (Munin?). I build my rockets larger but they don't seem to ever make it to orbit with enough fuel/stages to make it Duna and land. It is most distressing. What's the advice for making it to another planet?

How to solve problems in KSP:

Can't get to orbit? Add more boosters.
Ship falling apart? Add more struts.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

hatesfreedom posted:

A lot of KSP is in doing things in the most efficient ways. There's a zillion ways to go about it, but a few things:
-Send the smallest ship that will do the job. Before sending a three-kerbal expedition to Duna or Minmus or wherever, try a single kerbal in a small lander can. If you're comfortable with docking*, try leaving the interplanetary stage in orbit while you go to the surface, then meet back up with it later (think of how the Apollo landings worked). That way, you don't have to haul all that hardware and extra fuel down to the surface and back. Having smaller ships will also let parachutes do more of the slowing down so you can save more of your fuel for the return to orbit.
-Make sure you're starting your transfer at the right time. The Mun is easy because you just wait until it comes over the horizon. Interplanetary is trickier. When Duna is about 45 degrees ahead of Kerbin (in relation to the sun), it'll be the easiest--you still need about 1200m/s of delta v to do it from low Kerbin orbit, though, and you need to burn at a good angle on the dark side of Kerbin.

*note: try docking two things from separate launches in Kerbin orbit before you try it on Duna. Rendezvous and docking are tricky.

Thesoro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 13, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
For the sticky pad issue, also make sure you're not clipping into the floor of the VAB. I've moved my rocket around sometimes and did that, and it didn't spawn properly when I tried to launch--it was clipped in, so nothing was leaving the ground (unless maybe I staged, but that won't let me Go To Space Today). As long as the engine bells have at least a few meters of clearance I was OK.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone_Fragger posted:

This guy is a gift

The return of :okpos:POTT MANLEY:okpos:

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2015

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

OAquinas posted:

For the sticky pad issue, also make sure you're not clipping into the floor of the VAB. I've moved my rocket around sometimes and did that, and it didn't spawn properly when I tried to launch--it was clipped in, so nothing was leaving the ground (unless maybe I staged, but that won't let me Go To Space Today). As long as the engine bells have at least a few meters of clearance I was OK.

Well like I said, I'm familiar with the sticky thing and it being a clipping issue. In this case it's just not generating force or something I dunno. My tiny rocket just floated above the pad blasting at full power and not going anywhere after releasing it from the gantry. I'm trying to figure it out, its just tedious as hell.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

FuSchnick posted:

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get RoverDude's Packrat rover to work properly. But I want it to work so badly (SO CUTE :3: )

I've tried a whole bunch of different deployment scenarios at the launchpad, and they all gently caress up for one reason or another:

Short version: On that fancy cage, add a decoupler. Attach the TOP of the roll cage to the decoupler. Then add the front of the rover. Then the rest of the bits. Profit.

Side note - that top node is precisely the right size that if you use docking ports on the cage and on the packrat's roof rack, your rover can dock and undock with a bit of wiggling.

queeb posted:

So if I go out and install all of roverdudes modes, life support, some other of his reccomended stuff, that will give me the ability to mine multiple resources, ship parts and such to bases for repair and things, set up orbital bases, build resource chains and all that? Jesus christ it sounds amazing.

Yup. My stuff plus TAC-LS and Extraplanetary Launchpads will get you rolling.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

hatesfreedom posted:

Other people have spoken to this a bit, but basically bigger isn't necessarily better. You have to burn fuel to lift everything on your craft, including the fuel you haven't burned yet. Depending on how you stick everything together and set up your staging, you can actually make things worse by adding more boosters and engines and stuff.

So it's important to focus on efficiency. Design the last stages of your rockets first, make them as small as possible. Consider learning about/Googling up transfer windows so you know the most fuel-efficient times to head out to other planets.

If you aren't already using one, you might look into mods like MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer which give you lots of useful stats about your rocket. It's super-helpful to have immediate feedback for your changes in the VAB. (MechJeb also has automated transfer planning tools, as a bonus.) This makes it possible to know if the boosters you're strapping on will actually make your rocket go any farther or if they're just bloat.

In general, when building launch vehicles you're trying to find a sweet spot for each stage: Enough engines to lift everything on top fairly briskly, and enough fuel to run the engines for a reasonable length of time. This tends to lead to each stage being exponentially larger than the one above it. This is part of why people like using docking to build larger craft in orbit - it means you can do a two or three smaller launches that are easier to design and pilot instead of one monster rocket.

Not that monster rockets aren't fun in their own way. There's plenty to learn about how to build big rockets so they actually work well, and it's satisfying to push a complete space station into orbit in one go. It's just usually harder than doing it the small-but-efficient way.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

RoverDude posted:

Short version: On that fancy cage, add a decoupler. Attach the TOP of the roll cage to the decoupler. Then add the front of the rover. Then the rest of the bits. Profit.

Side note - that top node is precisely the right size that if you use docking ports on the cage and on the packrat's roof rack, your rover can dock and undock with a bit of wiggling.
I'm messing around more on my work computer (fresh install with just your mods and the others I consider "necessary"). Things are working much better, including using docking clamps. Whatever problems I'm having at home must be due to other mod interactions. I'm going to have to weed out my mod list :(

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Does it ever make sense to bring along a tiny probe on manned missions? I mean, it seems like an easy way to get some extra science by having them hit extra biomes you won't have enough fuel to land on anyway.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

karl fungus posted:

Does it ever make sense to bring along a tiny probe on manned missions? I mean, it seems like an easy way to get some extra science by having them hit extra biomes you won't have enough fuel to land on anyway.
Not only does it make sense, it actually has a real-life precedent, though it was only a satellite, not a lander.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

After 3 or 4 days of experiencing exploding space stations, I took a deep look through Google and finally found out that I should try turning off the reaction wheels in my capsules/orbiters before docking.

Works like a charm. My space station no longer goes flying off as soon as the dock completes!

I now have 6 extra-large tanks of fuel orbiting Kerbin attached to a small science station and crew cabin, with its own escape pod and a docking port. Time to get ready to explore the outer solar system!

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

karl fungus posted:

This is particularly good where there's an atmosphere. The probe can be even tinier--probe core, enough fuel to deorbit, a parachute, antenna, power source, and instruments.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

karl fungus posted:

I bring tiny probes everywhere I go! I have whole ships with tiny probes*

*ships not yet tested.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
I've been recreating the Ares 3 mission from the book The Martian for the past couple weeks on KSP-TV. It's been huge fun.

The mission profile has several aspects I've never done before in KSP which is why I wanted to do it. A completely separate vehicle for ascent and descent, with the ascent vehicle leaving behind a fuel processing stage. A base constructed 100% in-situ using KAS. Rovers with no solar panels that dock to the base to recharge after each use. An unmanned "presupply" probe with most of the base materials sent with a lithobreaking landing. So many fun little things to do to recreate this mission!

I've only done the craft designs and Duna transfers so far. Hopefully all of the landings and in-situ operations will be next week!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now recreate the rescue ascent, complete with exploding doors.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Devnote Tuesday is up, along with a bigass post about aerodynamics.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Synnr posted:

I've only ever used CKAN with the 64-bit version, the 32-bit version doesn't have enough address space for all the mods I use. It works fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Devnote Tuesday is up, along with a bigass post about aerodynamics.

I hope they don't put too much effort into making sure that existing spaceplane designs continue to work the same.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

withak posted:

I hope they don't put too much effort into making sure that existing spaceplane designs continue to work the same.

They addressed that in the comments, it appears what Harv meant was more the existing spaceplane designs provided by the stock game should still work. IE, if you design something that looks like a plane, it'll probably fly, even though in reality it might not.

I'll be very interested to see how this new addition to the game goes, I'm always happy to reduce the number of mods I have installed.

Maxmaps - something I didn't see discussed was Kerbin's atmosphere. Is it going to remain "pea-soup", or end up closer to something like FAR? Changing it is going to obviously throw the current balance out the window, but that wouldn't be difficult to solve. Leaving it the same might also throw out the balance. If rockets handle a bit more realistically (ie no rapid 45 degree turns at supersonic speeds), it'll probably end up being quite a bit more difficult to get to orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

hatesfreedom posted:

I haven't bothered with rendezvous (I know I'll have to look into it to do a return trip to Eve though,) but going to Duna and back is pretty doable. One thing that really helped me was finding out about asparagus staging, so if you haven't looked into this, you should prob watch Scott Manley's video explaining it. Nuclear engines also help a whole lot, since (iirc) a single big tank combined with one engine is enough to do all the transfer burns you need to get there and back. Other than that all you need is enough boosters on your lander to get into Duna orbit if you want to return, and you can reuse the nuclear engine you used to get there in the first place (remember to turn it off for the boost off Duna's surface.)

Like others have said, though, there are plenty of ways to do it, and I'd wager mine is one of the least elegant ones.