Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So that cutscene (singular) went dramatic character reveal -> character death (which wasn't even a death since we knew Kenny was alive) -> dramatic character reveal -> character death reveal (riderman) -> character death. It's like they had an idea for this cutscene and then just kept writing and writing and writing.

Inferior posted:

The discussion of space battles reminds me that in Star Ocean 5 there is an equally lengthy clash between ships, but because they had no budget for CGI there's no cutscene. Instead the whole thing is just the heroes sat on their ship's bridge, talking about what's happening outside. Very dramatically. For twenty minutes. It's great.

Is it too late to change my vote to Star Ocean 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

No, I don't want my Internet friends wateyad and porklift to suffer through more Star Ocean

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so5 is irredeemable

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

so5 is irredeemable

The map alone is just the most horse poo poo thing I have ever seen. I put the game down for a few months half way through, and I will never be able to find my way around ever again. The in-game log of the plot doesn't even suggest in the slightest what to do. I hate it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I wanted to see lim standing on top of the ship throwing exploding dogs at other spaceships.

But only if it would have made the cutscene shorter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pacing? What the gently caress is that?

e: Though I did like that they stopped giving a gently caress about Faize like two minutes after finding out he died.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 11, 2017

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Did we ever find out what the deal was with the red eyes, or was that just another plot thread set adrift in this STAR OCEAN?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Did we ever find out what the deal was with the red eyes, or was that just another plot thread set adrift in this STAR OCEAN?

You mean on Faize? It's explained in the Dictionary.

quote:

50. Faize Sheifa Beleth (2)
---------------------------
Faize's firm convictions give him difficulty dealing with people who behave unreasonably, which can easily irritate him. The DNA of all Eldarians is modified to allow them to live as efficiently as possible in their planet's extreme conditions; it is perhaps these modifications that have given him such a slavishly logical frame of mind. One notable quirk of his altered DNA is his eye color, which changes as he tries to suppress moments of extreme stress of emotion, suggesting that the genetic modification has had an impact on his psychological makeup. His firm resolve and preference for group harmony has made him a trusted partner for Edge, who sees him almost as a younger brother.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

NikkolasKing posted:

You mean on Faize? It's explained in the Dictionary.

Jesus it's dumber than I thought.

STAR OCEAN 4!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was honestly expecting it to be some sort of hivemind thing that would give him the power of every Eldarian, so finding out it's essentially nothing is pretty disappointing.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 86: Acting in Private One More Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTTEO39-yY

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wateyad posted:

Episode 85: Gratuitous(ly Drawn Out) Space Battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPR4cLcATs

I'm a bit late to the party, but this is the video made me realize that I've wasted close to two days of my life on this game.

The way they dealt with the drawings to me is the absolute worst part of this video*. I didn't see it coming either, but I also feel like what really should have happened after the dramatic landing and meowmix's cut is . . . nothing. Instead not only do we get Lyml revealing what just happened, which ok I guess that isn't out of character; but we get to spend a full minute of narration making absolutely sure it's not lost on us exactly what just happened. Literally the worst possible way to handle what could have been a genuinely good narrative point.

(*ok, maybe second worst. If we're all running around with black hole superweapons absolutely nothing about the battles and tactics we've seen in this game makes sense)

Is this where we start the pool on how long the ending cutscene is going to be? If this was 35 minutes it has to be at least an hour, right?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 12, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Momomo posted:

I was honestly expecting it to be some sort of hivemind thing that would give him the power of every Eldarian, so finding out it's essentially nothing is pretty disappointing.
I assumed the Missing Procedure or whatever was controlling him somehow and there would be a payoff, but nooooopppeeee

Really amazing all of the completely unnecessary side plots this game has, between Nazi Earth and almost everything on Roak, where the plot basically ground to a halt.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assumed the Missing Procedure or whatever was controlling him somehow and there would be a payoff, but nooooopppeeee

Really amazing all of the completely unnecessary side plots this game has, between Nazi Earth and almost everything on Roak, where the plot basically ground to a halt.

This game absolutely has an overall narrative arc that both Nazi Earth and at least most of what happened on Roak are integral parts of. It's incredibly stupid and a story that kind of didn't need telling but it exists.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Chuu posted:

Is this where we start the pool on how long the ending cutscene is going to be? If this was 35 minutes it has to be at least an hour, right?

Remember how the Lord of The Rings trilogy ended?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I hope Riderman is the final boss.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Forgall posted:

I hope Riderman is the final boss.

That's genuinely what I expected before the thread mentioned the actual cause of the eye thing, though maybe like a mid boss that gets redeemed right before we fight the actual final boss.
I assumed a bit of evil god from the ritual or some Grigori influence had gotten into an emotionally weakened Wallpaper and he was eventually going to betray someone and be a boss that the party shouts at trying to make him good again and Limb has to actively confront things.

Now, I don't really know. This seems like the kind of game that would go either way in it's search for emotional pathos.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I'm not sure that this game understands that it's supposed to be searching for emotional pathos so much as that it's going through motions JRPG plots go through in some sort of bizarre fit of cargo cult writing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A good way to put it is it is looking for pathos but has no idea what it looks like so it's looking everywhere, under the couch cushions, behind the fridge... everywhere but where it would actually be.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Star Ocean 4: Looking for Pathos in All the Wrong Places

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

Episode 86: Acting in Private One More Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTTEO39-yY

For the record, there are three hidden gathering points on Nox Obscurus. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That BoobElf-Wet cutscene was something

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

This is by far the horniest video of the thread, and perhaps the horniest video of any LP we've done.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pork Lift posted:

This is by far the horniest video of the thread, and perhaps the horniest video of any LP we've done.

He's not called "Edge" Maverick for nuthin', lemme tell ya

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Eroge Maverick

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

We could have maintained this level of horniness if you guys had voted for Catherine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pork Lift posted:

We could have maintained this level of horniness if you guys had voted for Catherine.

EdiT: Didn't really say anything but editing it out due to not wanting to start something again.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pork Lift posted:

Catherine is kinda good but ultimately boring in terms of gameplay tho.

"EDGE"

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Catherine is kinda good but ultimately boring in terms of gameplay tho.

"EDGE"

That sounds fair.

BLUE DRAGON? MORE LIKE BLUE BALLS

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pork Lift posted:

That sounds fair.

BLUE DRAGON? MORE LIKE BLUE BALLS

Consider it a pizza break in the middle of your orgy. A nice firm, seminutritious break from the shame and humiliation to prepare yourself for the next round of bad behaviour :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For the next vote I preemptively choose "Kidnap Apples to finish recording Zael's Butt"

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 87: Higher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP3DTmMvFg

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At least the layout seems... fairly straightforward? Even with the dumb gimmick with the bubbles that feels ripped from a Kingdom Hearts game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm pretty annoyed that my copy of Persona 5 didn't arrive before the Easter weekend, so I sympathise with past Pork Lift's Switch situation, or "Swituation", as I like to call it.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 88: Vile Goop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMbWS9xOvM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

And wateyad reveals his true form - Beaker from the muppets. "What are you doing?" "MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!"

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The bubbles are pretty inarguably bad, if they spawned continuously or at least predictably it'd be less obnoxious. And yeah I think that one on the left just can't be used for landing on the platform anyway, it's just an additional gently caress you.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I really, really hate this planet. The bubbles are obnoxious and there's a more annoying part we've yet to get to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Making them irregular is just spiteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
*watches cutscene* "I wish we'd get back to the gameplay already.*
*plays game* "I wish we'd get back to the cutscenes already.*
*repeat 100 times*