Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest issue is the weight of the clutch. The BRZ clutch is so light and effortless. The WRX clutch is a leg press by comparison. That, combined with a less progressive catch point on the WRX clutch means it's really easy to stall it after getting back in.

I wouldn't really say the BRZ clutch has more play though. In fact, the clutch travel in general is much shorter than the WRX, the grab point just isn't as abrupt.

Clutch travel in ASCII art, * denotes grab point.

WRX:
|-***------------|

BRZ:
|--*******--|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

I've been an rs-3 fanboy for the past year or so, but if you aren't taking it out to the track/canyons/etc, they make for a pretty expensive consumable compared to the rest of the street tires out there(and even r-comps - hoosiers are maybe $40 more per set D:). The v2s are great, and I can't wait to burn through my last set of rs-3's to buy a couple more sets.

They grip well, communicate well, and handle heat extremely well without getting greasy. They just wear so drat fast.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a big fan of my RE760s for street use so far. At first they seemed like a pretty lame tire, but after they've had a few miles on them they don't feel much less grippy than the RS3s did on the street.

No idea how they'd do at an autocross, but they're certainly harder-wearing than the RS3.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Love my continental extremecontact DW set.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Anyone replace the o ring for the steering pump? I've got occasional shuddering and proper fluid levels/no leaks. I'm reading it's a common problem.

Pep did not have the ring so I'm close to ordering a bag of 100 from Amazon ugh.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You might also want to do the whole hose from the reservoir to the pump. It gets old and hard and air starts leaking in there too.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I've had the dealership tell me twice now that:
my accessory belts are cracking/cracked
my P/S fluid is too dark

Another shop said this about my accessory belts when I had them do an oil change for me.

I've looked at my acc belts, pushed on them from various angles. I don't see any cracking. Is there some sort of technique that I'm not aware of to identify camouflaged cracks in them? They look fine to me.

I was under the impression the P/S fluid in newer Subarus (all Subarus?) was a lifetime fluid, not recommended/needed to be replaced. This is a 2009, and I'll admit, it's dark looking like it's dirty/contaminated. Does this indicate that something is allowing contamination into the system that needs to also be fixed?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sten - Check RockAuto to see if they have a Gates PS rebuild kit for your PS pump. Sometimes they do, the last one I bought was like eight bucks and had all the o-rings with it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For an 03 wrx I get pn 348564. Special order from my distributor that lists it, somewhere close to $30.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

si posted:

my P/S fluid is too dark

Another shop said this about my accessory belts when I had them do an oil change for me.

I've looked at my acc belts, pushed on them from various angles. I don't see any cracking. Is there some sort of technique that I'm not aware of to identify camouflaged cracks in them? They look fine to me.

I was under the impression the P/S fluid in newer Subarus (all Subarus?) was a lifetime fluid, not recommended/needed to be replaced. This is a 2009, and I'll admit, it's dark looking like it's dirty/contaminated. Does this indicate that something is allowing contamination into the system that needs to also be fixed?

Subarus just use atf fluid for steering. It isn't lifetime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There also really isn't a change interval specified in the manual either.

si
Apr 26, 2004

nm posted:

Subarus just use atf fluid for steering. It isn't lifetime.

bull3964 posted:

There also really isn't a change interval specified in the manual either.

Right, I know it's just your basic ATF fluid, but there's no service interval or even a service indicator (replace when X)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

si posted:

my P/S fluid is too dark

My 08 with 90k miles steering fluid is dark as hell for whatever it's worth and I wondered the same thing you did - how'd it get dirty? If you plan to keep you car for many years I don't think it's a bad idea to replace it but I'm not a mechanic.

Inspecting the belt is straightforward. Look at it closely with a flashlight on the inner side and if there are cracks you'll see them. You can even flex the belt with your hand to see if any open up.

Jamal & SSS - thanks for the info. My mechanic is very fair and I do not have much free time with a baby at home so I may just talk to them about hose and o-ring or whatever they see fit. The bag of 100 from amazon is less than $5 but it just seems absurd to me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN0VCY/

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

si posted:

Right, I know it's just your basic ATF fluid, but there's no service interval or even a service indicator (replace when X)

If it's like my Subaru then you don't need to change the fluid. It will leak out on its own.

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
Hey guys, I'm in the market for something all terrain and with good gas mileage. From your collective experiences, is the XV a solid Subaru? I like that it's a light crossover and has good ground clearance. My current jalopy is an '01 Isuzu Rodeo that's in the shop for the 2nd time this year.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Miskatonic posted:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for something all terrain and with good gas mileage. From your collective experiences, is the XV a solid Subaru? I like that it's a light crossover and has good ground clearance. My current jalopy is an '01 Isuzu Rodeo that's in the shop for the 2nd time this year.

I believe the Crosstrek has the same ground clearance as an Impreza, so I think you might want to look at Outbacks.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

I believe the Crosstrek has the same ground clearance as an Impreza, so I think you might want to look at Outbacks.

The Forester, Outback and XV Crosstrek all have the same ground clearance at 8.7" vs. the Impreza's 5.9".

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

The Forester, Outback and XV Crosstrek all have the same ground clearance at 8.7" vs. the Impreza's 5.9".

Oh hot drat, then. My fault!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Miskatonic posted:

I had a Crosstrek as a loner once and I couldn't wait to get my Impreza back from the dealership. It was nowhere nearly as nimble as my Impreza as the steering felt more vague and the ride was not as firm. It was even less forthcoming when it came to power though both were equipped with CVTs. The Outback I was once given as a loner had a better ride but was too big and not as maneuverable. If the Forrester handled as well as the Outback, I'd out for that over the Crosstrek in spite of the higher cost. Besides, there is the option of the 250 hp Forrester XT if you want something with more power.

I'd still do a test drive first. I heard the new model year Crosstreks had received steering and suspension improvements so the ride may be better. Plus, I haven't driven or ridden in a Forrester so I don't know how it handles.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FYI I did the tests to check for head gasket failure on my gfs brother in laws Subaru. Every thing turned up negative. The coolant levels havent changed a drop in 2 weeks. I dropped by an Indy shop friend and he did a cooling system pressure test and it turned out fine too.

The car was in for warranty work, is the Subaru dealer being a bunch of douches or a tech that didn't know anything? 99 outback with a 2.5 for any one who cares.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Edward IV posted:

I had a Crosstrek as a loner once and I couldn't wait to get my Impreza back from the dealership. It was nowhere nearly as nimble as my Impreza as the steering felt more vague and the ride was not as firm. It was even less forthcoming when it came to power though both were equipped with CVTs. The Outback I was once given as a loner had a better ride but was too big and not as maneuverable. If the Forrester handled as well as the Outback, I'd out for that over the Crosstrek in spite of the higher cost. Besides, there is the option of the 250 hp Forrester XT if you want something with more power.

I'd still do a test drive first. I heard the new model year Crosstreks had received steering and suspension improvements so the ride may be better. Plus, I haven't driven or ridden in a Forrester so I don't know how it handles.

The XV has different gearing than the Impreza to overcome the bigger tires. The suspension is more geared towards off paved road. Also it has a stiffer body, and some heavier other parts, and is allowed to tow up to 1000 lbs while still under warranty.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BrokenKnucklez posted:

FYI I did the tests to check for head gasket failure on my gfs brother in laws Subaru. Every thing turned up negative. The coolant levels havent changed a drop in 2 weeks. I dropped by an Indy shop friend and he did a cooling system pressure test and it turned out fine too.

The car was in for warranty work, is the Subaru dealer being a bunch of douches or a tech that didn't know anything? 99 outback with a 2.5 for any one who cares.

Might be when they changed the oil there was some emulsion in there from condensation and it was enough they thought the head gasket had gone? If an engine is only used for a lot of short trips you can build up a lot of moisture in the motor because it never gets up to temperature for long enough to evaporate it all and push it out the breather valve.

I've seen it on my KTM, nearly shat myself when I spotted cream in the oil sight glass the first time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If the 99 is a phase two motor (single overhead cam) than the typical way head gasket leaks are detected are by looking for oil leaks underneath the engine where the head meets the short block.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You know... It's just an in town car so I bet that was the part that made think head gaskets. I'll double check the head/short block mating area tomorrow when I get a chance and see of there's leaks.

But then again all the Subaru people in the area aren't super fond of the dealer, so that might be a sign too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But then again all the Subaru people in the area aren't super fond of the dealer, so that might be a sign too.

I just refuse to take anything that's not in warranty to a dealer shop any more, and advise all my friends likewise.

I've just started going to a shop so indie he doesn't even have a sign.

EDIT: Although, now I think of it, without the dealer shop quoting my PO over a thousand pounds (2kUSD) to do a cat, a CV boot and a crank shaft seal, he wouldn't have sold the car to me for a hundred quid, so these places have their uses :)

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 27, 2014

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I'm gonna be auto crossing my 2003 WRX with 125k in a month, any tips so that I don't break something?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yakattak posted:

I'm gonna be auto crossing my 2003 WRX with 125k in a month, any tips so that I don't break something?

Keep an eye on your oil levels.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Pretty excited, installed my short shifter (<3 jamal) a few weeks ago, feels pretty good. Now, sitting in a pile I have: front and rear Kartboy shifter bushings, TIC replacement shift linkage, Fumoto drain plug, and a big ol' jug of some Royal Purple w/ a filter. Next up for the pile is some fluid for the transmission, then it's time to rent a bay somewhere around Seattle to blast through an oil change, tranny fluid change, and the tranny upgrades. Woo! Realllly curious to see what the Fumoto's like, been half wanting to grab one for a while now. Guess I won't really know for another 5-6k miles. Hopefully.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nur_Neerg posted:

Pretty excited, installed my short shifter (<3 jamal) a few weeks ago, feels pretty good. Now, sitting in a pile I have: front and rear Kartboy shifter bushings, TIC replacement shift linkage, Fumoto drain plug, and a big ol' jug of some Royal Purple w/ a filter. Next up for the pile is some fluid for the transmission, then it's time to rent a bay somewhere around Seattle to blast through an oil change, tranny fluid change, and the tranny upgrades. Woo! Realllly curious to see what the Fumoto's like, been half wanting to grab one for a while now. Guess I won't really know for another 5-6k miles. Hopefully.

The Fumoto is like "why do they not hand these out with drivers licenses?" It's really the greatest thing ever invented.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Yakattak posted:

Check your fluids, brake pads, battery tie-down, and safety gear. You can also find the club's tech sheet and double check those things if you want to, but other than that, just have fun!

ps: bring lots of water if you're unsure if they'll be providing any onsite

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

The Fumoto is like "why do they not hand these out with drivers licenses?" It's really the greatest thing ever invented.

The most worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting to do their own oil changes. The OEM way seems so uncivilized afterwards.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Is posting about selling a car kosher here?

I have it on craigslist now, and will likely put it on the Subaru forums soon, but I figured someone here might be interested.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hillridge posted:

Is posting about selling a car kosher here?

I have it on craigslist now, and will likely put it on the Subaru forums soon, but I figured someone here might be interested.

Paint it pink and post it in the craigslist thread.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Anyone on here have a '15 WRX yet or are the inventory levels still low. I'm curious to see what people are doing with them and how they like them.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Didn't somebody here get one a few weeks ago?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm thinking of renewing the struts on my '96 Legacy AWD 2.0 if the car turns out to be solid. The internet seems to think I can throw the same era Outback struts in and get an easy 1.5inch lift.

Is it really as simple as that? The extra clearance would be nice for my use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't that put the steering linkage or something at a weird angle on that generation of car? IIRC it causes something to rub and steering gets a bit notchy. somebody (jamal) come in here and correct me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

To me it seems like it would put all kinds of things at unintended for long term angles. Steering components, drive shafts, axles, cv joints. I don't know, wouldn't putting the wheels at a different distance from the body effect everything between the body and the wheels?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That would be my intuition too, which is why I thought I'd ask here. Mind you, it's not a huge bump in height.

I live in a pretty rural area end up in a lot of damp, lumpy fields thanks to several hobbies. I'd just like to minimise my chances of grounding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

FogHelmut posted:

To me it seems like it would put all kinds of things at unintended for long term angles. Steering components, drive shafts, axles, cv joints. I don't know, wouldn't putting the wheels at a different distance from the body effect everything between the body and the wheels?

It's not like Subaru hasn't done that in the past from the factory, for minor lifts off the the Impreza and legacy platforms it's not much more than taller springs and struts, in larger lift cases they usually throw in an inch or so spacer between the subframe's and body.

Honestly don't think a mild height increase is going to do much harm.