Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nucleic Acids posted:

What Trump's trying to do (if this is real) is get denied a visit with the President of Mexico, so that he can scream about it to his base.

Yeah, this is no different than the black outreach. He's not trying to talk to Mexicans, and no doubt the Mexican government will not even receive a formal request. But his base will eat it up, and his intention is to make himself more palatable to undecided voters.

Of course he fails completely, buy that's Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol Grayson lost his primary for the Senate and his new wife lost her primary for his House seat.

:byewhore:

Good, hopefully he just fades in to obscurity but we aren't that lucky are we?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'd celebrate harder if he wasn't defeated by total empty suit candidate Patrick Murphy.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Yeah, this is no different than the black outreach. He's not trying to talk to Mexicans, and no doubt the Mexican government will not even receive a formal request. But his base will eat it up, and his intention is to make himself more palatable to undecided voters.

Of course he fails completely, buy that's Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...424d_story.html
Nieto publicly invited him (months ago), they're in active discussion about making the trip. Given the suggestion came from Bannon, I'd hazard a guess he's going to....no, i have no loving idea what the point would be.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
e: nvm

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

HorseRenoir posted:

Robert Costa tweeted and then deleted this:

Anyone know what this is about?

Probably trump planning a visit to Mexico City to meet the president down there per twitter

Which won't loving happen

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"It's just a general purpose meeting so we can meet each other."

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is the yang to the thigh melon crushing's ying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Remember, "sought a meeting" is invariably followed with "and didn't get one", we learned this from hillary's state department poo poo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

D'Souza shoulda just released this as Hillary's America

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

He must have known he was unelectable against Rubio. Why do politicians try to sabotage their own party like this?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the thought of hillary clinton with the for-profit education industry's balls in a vise

my fetish

also my fetish

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 31, 2016

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Crows Turn Off posted:

Link? I've seen people chat about it but haven't seen it yet.

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_DS_13/filters/LIKELY:1/dates/20160730-20160830/type/day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

neoliberal posted:

You know Clinton lost 11 points week to week on a Reuter tracking poll that was released today.

All these tracking polls are giving absolutely bizarre numbers

Reuters/IPSOS didn't like that they were running ahead of everybody else's numbers by a few points so they changed their whole methodology halfway through, then didn't say anything until people dug info up on it

Basically they're now assuming that the white share of the electorate will be higher than it has ever been and the minority share will be the lowest ever. It's pretty questionable unless they're getting ahead of anticipated ballot burnings and minority voter intimidation plans and trying to factor that in

And he's still losing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

What's with the AP's recent Clinton hateboner? Are they really that mad that they had to go to court to get her meetings records?

They also published (and then deleted?) a total puff piece on Trump about 10 years ago, apparently.
(A Central Asia (!) watcher that's I've been following recently to get a sense of what's up in Uzbekistan pointed it out, and compared to some of the stuff
published there...)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

awesmoe posted:

Nieto publicly invited him (months ago), they're in active discussion about making the trip. Given the suggestion came from Bannon, I'd hazard a guess he's going to....no, i have no loving idea what the point would be.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/770801716635631616

It's unclear at this point what is really happening. Have to wait until the press gets tomorrow's itinerary.

I just don't know the angle here other than the optics of successfully getting the president of Mexico to fit you into his schedule.

It also gambles on his ability to not make a fool of himself.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Pleeaaaaaaaase let this just be an opportunity for the president of Mexico to tear Trump a new one in front of some press :unsmith:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

awesmoe posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in light of his speech tomorrow. One of the local radio stations had an analyst on during the drive home who said to basically expect the same basic plan but with a "softer tone."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

El Chapo's complex master plan is finally entering it's end gaem.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Jesus - I hope nieto has no political aspirations after 2018 because Trump is probably the most hated person in all of Latin America and there will be protests out the wazoo especially in the DF.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Sometimes I wonder if Trump is just trying to find the cutoff for total outrage fatigue, after which point each scandal and gaffe produces no additional outcry because the public is fully saturated. His entire candidacy seems to be built to asymptotically approach that limit.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe it's Trump's last chance to get elected. Cartels kidnap him and the American people vote him in as a hero.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

neoliberal posted:

Jesus - I hope nieto has no political aspirations after 2018 because Trump is probably the most hated person in all of Latin America and there will be protests out the wazoo especially in the DF.

Protests aren't the worst your typical Dwarf Fortress will see

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hillary should send Kaine to meet with the President of Mexico along with Trump so they can talk poo poo in Spanish while Trump turns from orange to purple and his head explodes

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Epic High Five posted:

Welcome to Post Trump America. Hope you like Miasma

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/770809100460367873

Good poo poo good poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This time 4 years ago, Clint Eastwood was yelling at a chair to an audience of millions of people who would largely go on to vote for one Willard Mitt Romney

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maybe it's Trump's last chance to get elected. Cartels kidnap him and the American people vote him in as a hero.

It would be peak irony if after escaping the cartels he had to desperately border cross back into the US.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Given that Nieto had a bunch of striking teachers mowed down this summer it makes sense that his advice would be highly coveted by a Republican presidential candidate.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Given alt-righters, isn't this a compliment?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

This time 4 years ago, Clint Eastwood was yelling at a chair to an audience of millions of people who would largely go on to vote for one Willard Mitt Romney

And to think how innocent and simple those times were compared to now.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sword of Chomsky posted:

It's unclear at this point what is really happening. Have to wait until the press gets tomorrow's itinerary.

I just don't know the angle here other than the optics of successfully getting the president of Mexico to fit you into his schedule.

It also gambles on his ability to not make a fool of himself.

It's reassuring to see chaos still reigns

The angle he might be going for is to stare Nieto down and tell him to his face that theres gonna be a wall, you'll pay for it, you need to stop sending your rapists and murderers and instead you should send your best, blah blah blah then come back and tell his base about it

Of course the other hot take (given the invite came from Nieto recently - not months ago, I misunderstood) - is that Nieto is trying to bury local news and trump is just playing into it because he's...not very good at this.

e: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/770811688966770689

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 31, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A woman set herself ablaze in Rep. Danny Davis's office today. He represents IL-7 in Chicago.

It seems like it was a case of severe mental illness rather than an explicit protest of any kind, but jeez.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

This will be...interesting.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

It could also just be the desire to appear a more mature, presidential figure.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Epic High Five posted:

The problem is that either you let Trump build his Legendary Leather Wall or you lock him in the tanner's shop until it passes and hope he doesn't pull the whole fortress into a tantrum spiral when you let him out afterwards.

And by then, you're looking at a lose-lose situation.

Fell moods. Not even once.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

awesmoe posted:

The angle he might be going for is to stare Nieto down and tell him to his face that theres gonna be a wall, you'll pay for it, you need to stop sending your rapists and murderers and instead you should send your best, blah blah blah then come back and tell his base about it

Of course the other hot take (given the invite came from Nieto recently - not months ago, I misunderstood) - is that Nieto is trying to bury local news and trump is just playing into it because he's...not very good at this.

LOL this reminds me of who they had Sarah Palin meet with in 2008 to tout her foreign policy chops...Alvaro Uribe.

Shame it wasn't Trump instead It would of been insane to see him go head to head with an actual proto-fascist manipulative monster.

Wait Trump is going to travel to Mexico in less than 24 hours?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horking Delight posted:

The problem is that either you let Trump build his Legendary Leather Wall or you lock him in the tanner's shop until it passes and hope he doesn't pull the whole fortress into a tantrum spiral when you let him out afterwards.

And by then, you're looking at a lose-lose situation.

Fell moods. Not even once.

oh please, someone like loving Trump would take over a magma forge and start tossing in other dwarves

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

awesmoe posted:

I'd love it if the Mexican President turned everything around and said that if Trump gets elected it will be he that builds a wall to keep the racist trash in the US from coming into Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does Trump know any non American language?

Maybe the meeting will end up like a recent Daily Show bit where the Asian Corespondent told a Trump Staffer to gently caress off in Chinese.

Except in Mexican.

• Locked thread