Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0lives
Nov 1, 2012

this is my anime posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

like seriously i don't fuckin get the people who bitch about the matrix software remakes and then say that FF9 looks great, those remakes are totally just a low-polygon version of FF9's art style

Hint: they're not talking about the DS games, they're talking about the iOS ports of say, FF6

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hahaha people are gonna be so pissed but cool, cool :cool:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rodyle posted:

Hint: they're not talking about the DS games, they're talking about the iOS ports of say, FF6

oh, fine, but that's a 2d remake

the FF7/FF8 ports were fine

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I don't personally think there'll be any real issue either.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hello Jason

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Hahaha people are gonna be so pissed but cool, cool :cool:

Lmao that second runner up in best story

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Dan it's not satire if you do it for real

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Noxville posted:

Lmao that second runner up in best story

Bleeeeh Cibele? Nina Freeman tries to get laid story? Im assuming Austin went all in for that to stay on the list.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Got to Novigrad last night, so far so good. If I have one quibble with the game it's that the double cross/deception twists lose their effect when it's like EVERY person/thing trying to gently caress you over

e: Except Johnny. Johnny's my boy

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cat doter posted:

oh I'm not disagree with you, my "main" dual wields rapiers

that's good you dont want to see what ahppens when you disagree with me

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Toxxupation posted:

the only thing people poo poo themselves over with those ports were the weird always online drm poo poo

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Hey good, Vinny knows how to properly cut an onion and make a good breakfast. My day's made!

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Yeah tbh it's basically only the 2d ones with Major issues but good lord those UIs (and sprite mixing but you know, 3d)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it occurs to me that if they just had four runners-up instead of two we probably wouldn't get the wailing and gnashing of teeth that we do

this is a strange epiphany that i have just had and now i no longer want to debate these awards. i am freed of my burdens in this thread and shall ascend to the posting heavens

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I think their choices for today were solid, although I don't know how or why Cibele made it as a runner up to the best story, but I am not at all familiar with the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I think their choices for today were solid, although I don't know how or why Cibele made it as a runner up to the best story, but I am not at all familiar with the game.

These two things are probably related

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

f#a# posted:

Hey good, Vinny knows how to properly cut an onion and make a good breakfast. My day's made!

It looks good but also about 20x more effort than I would ever want to put into a breakfast meal, maybe I'm a goon I dunno

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

Throwing Austin a bone

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yo I realize you're all goony fucks, but cibele is a pretty great story that a ton of people resonate with and relate to.

e: The video today is top loving notch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm really glad SOMA got some recognition. I would not have picked it over Witcher personally, but I do think it's got a very cool story and some of the best atmosphere I've ever seen in a game. In terms of an underwater setting it makes Bioshock look like a complete joke. I also very much appreciate that it's not traditionally scary so much as existentially horrifying and good at really getting under your skin - those later underwater parts are harrowing as gently caress.

Man it's so cool, that sort of 80s-style biotech body horror is pretty much my favourite thing.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I want Vinny to cook for me

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have the same knife Vinny does.

Knife bros.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
rip undertale

also gently caress OFF YOU PIGS IM JUST TRYING TO EXPLORE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, I just made it to Jeff's Fallout 4 rant. All his stick-in-the-mud antics of the previous deliberations are forgiven. As are future ones. I appreciate Austin trying to play the middleman there, but expecting the same old jank from a company who makes nothing but these type of games just isn't acceptable. Vinny's idea of putting something around the starting area to prevent that kind of nonsense from happening is a good idea. In fact, it can be done. Witcher 3 handling the starting area thing perfectly by making it its own separate zone that eased you into the different mechanics and exploration without overwhelming you.

When I first played it, I could agree with Austin's assessment of the settlement stuff but as I played it more, I realized I was just doing it for the sake for doing it. All of it didn't tie into anything other than feed into itself and got boggled down in busywork as you continued to found settlements and work on them.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Hakkesshu posted:

It looks good but also about 20x more effort than I would ever want to put into a breakfast meal, maybe I'm a goon I dunno

I mean, I typically have half a chopped onion in my fridge and I don't make my own tortillas, so really it's just a question of shredding potato and throwing poo poo in a pan (I also use a loooot more spices than Vinny does but yeah). Grind yourself up some coffee while you're doing it and it's a satisfying way to spend a morning.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My main problem with Soma winning is that the story to that game is made so much worse by how incredibly stupid the main character is, and how much slower he comes to realize things after the player does.

The ending did not resonate with me in the slightest for this reason and it left a huge sour taste in my mouth for the whole game.

f#a# posted:

I mean, I typically have half a chopped onion in my fridge and I don't make my own tortillas, so really it's just a question of shredding potato and throwing poo poo in a pan (I also use a loooot more spices than Vinny does but yeah). Grind yourself up some coffee while you're doing it and it's a satisfying way to spend a morning.

Lol just LOL if you don't make your own homemade tortillas every single morning using a smoking hot Plancha

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 31, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SOMA is also a really good companion piece to The Fall and in that context it's easy to see why GB liked it so much.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I ended up not being able to think of 10 games that came out this year that I liked. I'm only 5 hours into Witcher 3 and it has been pretty suck so far. HuniePop should be number 4 but changing stuff seemed like a lot of effort after I remembered it existed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SOMA is crazy frustrating to me because absolutely nothing it did struck me as thought-provoking or innovative and yet it apparently blew a number of people's minds

that doesn't happen to me often, usually it's the other way around!

i can't make any judgements on the game's quality for that reason, though i maintain that the stealth was tedious and the player character was friggin awful

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

kater posted:

I ended up not being able to think of 10 games that came out this year that I liked. I'm only 5 hours into Witcher 3 and it has been pretty suck so far. HuniePop should be number 4 but changing stuff seemed like a lot of effort after I remembered it existed.

Lol guild wars 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Heart of Thorns is a strong contender for my worst game of the year, how does it end up on someone's top ten list

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kater posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That first part of the recap video with all the Dans on the Tricaster :stonk::cry:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

SOMA is crazy frustrating to me because absolutely nothing it did struck me as thought-provoking or innovative and yet it apparently blew a number of people's minds

that doesn't happen to me often, usually it's the other way around!

i can't make any judgements on the game's quality for that reason, though i maintain that the stealth was tedious and the player character was friggin awful

The only reason it isn't higher on my list is because I really didn't like the stealth, it feels very out of place and is mechanically unsatisfying.

But it definitely resonated with me. I don't think it's particularly innovative or thought-provoking, but it sets up a really evocative framework and then just runs with it, exploring every facet of its internal rules and concepts to the utmost horrifying ends. I've already said I don't find the character dialogue to be all that great either, to me it's very much an atmospherically focused game that stimulates your imagination, planting a ton of creative ideas and your experience consists of seeing where they go with them. It's basically the crux of what makes a good sci-fi short story to me.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That first part of the recap video with all the Dans on the Tricaster :stonk::cry:

These GOTY video segments have all been great.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

What the gently caress is this list?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm gonna be super bummed when "tfw meme mondays" isn't a regular site feature in 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

haha, that buu, he loves his candy, what a whacky fella

• Locked thread