Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

coupedeville posted:

this was not a good night to pick for goon theft auto :negative:

:(:respek::(

thanks for nothing ********

why yes, I had forgotten they censored their own name. hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Psion posted:

:(:respek::(

thanks for nothing ********

why yes, I had forgotten they censored their own name. hilarious.

makes complete sense if you read about Sam Houser

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Medullah posted:

I don't see myself ever buying shark cards for GTA, but it really is a simple equation -

Time to acquire the funds buying shark cards compared to what you value as your hourly rate. If you make $100k a year and have no bills, and $100 to get enough in game money to last you a while rather than spending 40 hours in game to grind it, go for it.

Back when I was playing Everquest I bought platinum a few times - $20 to save myself 8 hours of sitting in the same spot so I could spend that 8 hours sitting in a different spot was a fine decision for me.

Hell, it's the same logic I use for paying for a lawn service. I COULD spend 3 hours a week mowing my lawn and save that $30 I spend to get it taken care of, BUT I feel my time is worth more than $10 an hour. :D

Here's a crazy thought: if the game is so unfun to you that you would rather spend your time at work rather than play the content of the game, maybe you won't suddenly like the game once you've become digital rich.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's a crazy thought: if the game is so unfun to you that you would rather spend your time at work rather than play the content of the game, maybe you won't suddenly like the game once you've become digital rich.

I don't think that's true of folks who either bought shark Cards or glitched their own dead hookers or got handed money bags by cheaters. The game is fun, but it's more fun if you don't have to worry about cash. Real life works largely the same way.

The entire business model is to have fun things you can do with in game money, then have a less desirable part of the game that you can bypass in exchange for real life dollars so you can get back tot he really fun stuff. They only make money if there is a grindy part that some people will be willing to pay to bypass while the grindy part is not so onerous that people that don't want to or cannot pay real life cash to bypass it don't quit the game altogether. It's an unfortunate reality of online games since the subscription model basically died.

I play on ps4 so there are no hackers dropping moneybags, and there hasn't been a dead hooker glitch in a good long while.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I got BB's back because he is nice and cool but I must disagree with you here. I actually like grinding missions and stuff. I guess it could feel like a chore when you're saving up to buy something but I've got enough money to hold me over. Once you buy all the cars, clothes, and houses you want there's nothing left to do but grind with em'. Grinding IS the game and I love it.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

coupedeville posted:

for real tho wth rockstar

:sigh:

even when trying to quit out of GTA it was timing out :argh:

this was not a good night to pick for goon theft auto :negative:

edit:wrong first pic

Right? Super irritating..

Oh well, try again tonight?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Shark cards are cool and good because they bring out judgmental weirds. Game is both grindy and fun, I would have probably bought one if I wasn't gifted money.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I woke up to a filled honeypot, praise Mendoza!

I'm going to hug the mumble crew because you guys coming out of the woodwork to support shark cards still don't get it.

Nothing we do for fun requires more than a level 0 character with like, what is it to join a game? 500$?

But you do you.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You know what's better value than a shark card? A PC copy of the game so you can play with us.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I have a gold plane and have used it maybe twice.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

hellfaucet posted:

I have a gold plane and have used it maybe twice.

drat dude that's two more times than I've used my gold luxor

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zigmidge posted:

I woke up to a filled honeypot, praise Mendoza!

I'm going to hug the mumble crew because you guys coming out of the woodwork to support shark cards still don't get it.

Nothing we do for fun requires more than a level 0 character with like, what is it to join a game? 500$?

But you do you.
You don't have to feel threatened, just don't be butts to people that like to spend money to support a game you play.

I don't want to know how much money I wasted upgrading a 20 car garage one upgrade at a time as they all became available. Plan your money spending wisely! :argh:

Or just buy shark cards.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I have a secret: I have purchased a shark card before. :toot:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

hellfaucet posted:

Thank you for the free updates. :patriot:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So you can either spend $100 on shark cards or prepare to spend countless hours grinding mission after mission after heist after heist. And then you blow all of your hard-earned work on modding just one car in 5 minutes.

Praise be to the money wizards, for their works are Good and Just.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

hellfaucet posted:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
My cool friends posting all over this thread & not a single poster answers my question...

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So I guess the only ways to get a yacht are to hack, pay for $50 worth of Shark Card, or to have played the game and saved your money up for at least two years?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

I am RPing at a buddy's tonight, but I should be back around 10ish EST. We failed super hard at PD2 last night so I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

King Vidiot posted:

So I guess the only ways to get a yacht are to hack, pay for $50 worth of Shark Card, or to have played the game and saved your money up for at least two years?

Kind of, yeah, except it should only take a few months instead of a couple years.

Or you could run all of the heists in order with the same group over 2-3 days and come out with like $13 mil if you haven't already.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, at the rate I play the game (like twice a month) it'd probably take me two years.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Cage posted:

Thank you for the free updates. :patriot:

The updates aren't good!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If your argument for buying Shark cards is that they help support content like the Lamar missions, you hosed up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Buschmaki posted:

If your argument for buying Shark cards is that they help support content like the Lamar missions, you hosed up.

How about "they bring Rockstar enough money to work on Red Dead Redemption 2"?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Buschmaki posted:

The updates aren't good!
The tampa is a badass car decked out in steelies and black paint and is good.

Also Hunting Pack is the best game mode, its a shame no one plays it anymore.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Well, I would assume the money from one of the biggest videogame launches in the world did that.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Cage posted:

The tampa is a badass car decked out in steelies and black paint and is good.

Also Hunting Pack is the best game mode, its a shame no one plays it anymore.

It's not that no one plays it anymore, it's just tough getting a full 8 person group together except on weekends. If we could get a group of 8 every single night this poo poo would be played daily.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Look cage is right, this poo poo sucks and i'm not helping. When I get home this evening I'm going to put a bullet in this stupid derail started by bitbasher's awful humblebrag with some footage I've got saved up.

I hope we endeavour to go back to that. This thread loving owned when it was screenshots, videos and goon run events. I'm also gonna cook something up while I pray for death out of boredom at my folks' place this mother's day.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

Well, I would assume the money from one of the biggest videogame launches in the world did that.

Yeah, they could basically shoot live action cutscenes on the moon for the next installment with the money they've made, supposedly around $2.3bn since launch.

On the other hand, IIRC they considered Shark Cards to have missed the mark because they'd only sold like $130m worth within the first few months. At this point they've raked in more than half a billion on the loving things.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hmm it looks like Grand Theft Auto has released a digital item. They made it super expensive and the only way I can get this item is to actually play the game for a really long time! Well I don't want to play the game, I just want to have a completed digital collection of pointless poo poo that I will never actually use, just look at. I know, I think I will reward Rockstar with $100 to get digital content for a game I don't even like to play! Once I get these digital goods, my enjoyment of the game can finally start! I have made a wise investment.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hmm it looks like Grand Theft Auto has released a digital item. They made it super expensive and the only way I can get this item is to actually play the game for a really long time! Well I don't want to play the game, I just want to have a completed digital collection of pointless poo poo that I will never actually use, just look at. I know, I think I will reward Rockstar with $100 to get digital content for a game I don't even like to play! Once I get these digital goods, my enjoyment of the game can finally start! I have made a wise investment.
People spending money on something that I, literally the smartest, would never spend money on? Better shitpost.

Come on man, you're just being dumb and rude at this point because people are spending money on something that doesn't interest you at all and doesn't affect you. You're not any more of a gta fan #1 because you spent a lot of hours earning money instead of buying it instantly.

Look at ya'll grindin poo poo out in GTA

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My point is

Zigmidge posted:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A yacht copy-pasted from an existing in-game model shouldn't cost more than the entire base game to buy. I am fine with shark cards in principle. In practice they cost ten times what is reasonable, and they might have dropped to a sensible price if so many dickheads with no sense of value hadn't bought them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
No one said that until Zigmidge did, though.

Someone says: Hey I get it, here is why people might buy shark cards
You and others: LOL enjoy your digital 1s and 0s on a game you don't even like
*dumb argument follows*

No one ever said you should buy a shark card to have more fun with goons, and its a real dick move to poo poo on people for spending money on a game they enjoy.

I fire up the game just to drive around sometimes. I like to play car dress up and totally kit my cars out. I'm level 155 or so and I have less than 1.5 million in the bank because I buy/mod/sell different cars so often. Thats not even enough money to buy the most expensive super cars. Why wouldn't you want me to have the ability to spend some real cash so that I can play digital hot wheels easier?

edit: I didnt buy a shark card, and don't plan to. Would never try to make someone feel lovely for buying one though. :shrug:

Cage fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 6, 2016

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

If you play around for a bit, some hacker will end up giving you millions anyway. It's not even like someone spending money on the cards is even getting something anyone can't get with a little time.

People are probably just more angry about the monetization of all sorts of stuff you used to take for (rightfully) granted in a video game. Hopefully, rockstar does something cool with all the extra money instead of buckling down and becoming the next Ubisoft or whatever

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

My cool friends posting all over this thread & not a single poster answers my question...

of course

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I would understand the hate if people could buy-pass the minigun rank lock or buy a kuruma without doing the heist or something.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

God dammit coupe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just don't understand people's reactions. I see a billion dollar yacht in the store that I can't afford and I think "gently caress you Rockstar, predatory assholes. This is overpriced and this store is poorly designed." I don't think "oh the logical solution to this problem is $100".

Every other game gets slammed for this behavior but for some reason people DEFEND it as a GOOD CHOICE in GTA Online

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That makes a lot more sense than "if you spend money on this game you don't like playing it", thanks. :)

Other games get slammed for being pay to win. Spending money on better items that you can't get by playing the game.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread