Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Or done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Fables is a great example of why I tend to avoid serialized fiction. Eventually, the plot becomes more important than the setting or atmosphere.

Fables would have been fine as isolated noir stories around its theme of fairy tales in New York, but it eventually became this bloated generic fantasy war story.

I also do not get why Fantasy and Sci-Fi are so interested in series. I keep adding your recommendations to Good Reads and keep seeing almost everything is Book 1 of something series.

I feel like stories and fiction in general works much better as a single isolated expression of an idea rather than a drawn out over-narration of a setting. Its very strange to me to see how few Sci Fi and Fantasy stories are comfortable existing in isolation.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also do not get why Fantasy and Sci-Fi are so interested in series. I keep adding your recommendations to Good Reads and keep seeing almost everything is Book 1 of something series.

Partially Lord of the Rings conditioning fans to buy multiple books to get the full story, mostly :capitalism:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, Fables is definitely not a fairy tale.

From a sufficiently archetypal viewpoint, everything is a fairy tale. Miss Wonderly is little red riding hood, Sam Spade is the lumberjack, Gutman is the Big Bad Wolf, and the picnic basket is the Maltese Falcon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From a sufficiently archetypal viewpoint, everything is a fairy tale. Miss Wonderly is little red riding hood, Sam Spade is the lumberjack, Gutman is the Big Bad Wolf, and the picnic basket is the Maltese Falcon.

Ok there Campbell

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol I'm really sorry for not enjoying American Gods and not falling in line with 'millions' of true literati.

in a thread that regularly describes litRPG as a legitimate genre

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 7, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Everything being a series is a plague and a half. Just recently I finished City of Stairs and I liked it despite some misgivings and yet was left with little desire to read the inevitable rest of the inevitable trilogy. I wasn't surprised to discover it had been written as a standalone.

In general the flight of imagination (fantasy) or exploration of an idea (SF) is only a sort of target ideal of what they're about, the nuts and bolts is delivering something familiar and accessible to reliable buyers because

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What even is litRPG

Like, I recognize the parts, but cannot think of how they might make a whole

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

gonna hack mel's goodreads and put a ton of isekai LNs on his list

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peel posted:

gonna hack mel's goodreads and put a ton of isekai LNs on his list

I am gonna assume that's bad

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What even is litRPG

Like, I recognize the parts, but cannot think of how they might make a whole

There are two definitions of litRPG. One refers to any fantasy or sci-fi story set in an RPG world like Ready Player One. The other definition refers to a very specific subgenre of books written by and for...a very specific kind of person and mindset, where you are treated to endless descriptions of stat blocks, modifiers, combat rolls, and the main character's inventory management. I wish I was making that poo poo up. I tried reading one of the most recommended litRPG novels, and it was literally three hundred pages of "I swung at the wolf and hit, doing nine thousand points of damage. I searched its corpse and found 3 wolf bones, 2 wolf sinews, and 1 wolf pelt. That was good because I needed 4 more wolf sinews to upgrade my bow. I saw that my harvesting skill had increased by one point. Now it was at 28 points. I approached the next wolf." Yes, there is a market for this. No, I don't know why.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What the gently caress.

Give me a title, I need to go see this for myself

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Patrick Rothfuss, Name of the Wind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it meant Dungeons & Dragons novels :stonk:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Liking fairy tales is kinda compulsory for reading fantasy. That and classic mythology.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Peel posted:

Everything being a series is a plague and a half. Just recently I finished City of Stairs and I liked it despite some misgivings and yet was left with little desire to read the inevitable rest of the inevitable trilogy. I wasn't surprised to discover it had been written as a standalone

To be fair, the next two books have different protagonists (the 2nd follows Mulagesh, the 3rd is Sigrud) and pretty large time jumps between them, especially for the third. It's a pretty loose trilogy, especially in this day and age. Also, the follow-ups are super super good and if you liked the first one, you really should finish it out.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am gonna assume that's bad

https://twitter.com/hiren_trip/status/809513573105995776
'Light Novel' is a Japanese fiction category consisting of short books with anime-style illustrations aimed at the teenage/YA market. It's uncannily like western fanfiction in its trends and also average quality level and is a big proportion of the source material for contemporary anime.

'Isekai' ('alternate world') is a popular LN genre in which the relatable highschooler hero travels to a generic fantasy world just like a videogame and owns villains/picks up anime chicks with his super skills. Like if ready player one/armada were less full of explicit references but also an entire genre.

but now people are bringing out the litRPG so i can't really compete

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What the gently caress.

Give me a title, I need to go see this for myself

Try this:

AlterWorld (LitRPG: Play to Live. Book #1) by D. Rus on Amazon.

It's one of the bigger hits back in Russia and the first one is currently free. The appeal is mostly the ridiculous levels of wish-fulfillment and pandering that the premise allows. I must admit I kinda sorta enjoyed it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 7, 2017

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
litfairytalerpg.

"I looked at my character sheet. [full-page table of badly-formatted stats] My nose length stat had increased by 1.3%. Only 3.2cm more to go and it would count as a finger, and I could equip another magic ring! But which ring? I considered the rings I already had. [half page breakdown of rings and their effects] I saw that I had two unspent points from my last level-up, and put them into dexterity, increasing my dodge chance by 7%. Soon, I thought, soon I would be powerful enough to take on Grey Wolves, the larger and more powerful version of Gray Wolves, and my rate of pelt-gathering and experience gain would double."

litrpg is awful and I am perversely glad it exists, but I have no intention of reading more. I'm just so happy there's a hosed-up spreadsheet genre about being forced to mine ore in everquest 1.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 7, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Basically stories about people being trapped in places just like popular videogames, trapped in places that literally are popular videogames, or just playing popular videogames is a big category all over the world right now, which isn't surprising when you put it that way but is still kind of amazing in how terrible it tends to be.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://twitter.com/BrianTMcClellan/status/861259059483115521

If anyone is interested.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This empire, is it solar?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, trapped in a video game isn't exactly a new contrivance.

It's the narration using d20 rules that fascinates me

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kesper North posted:

This empire, is it solar?

It's not LitRPG of an RTS game, no.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When you refer to series, are you specifically referring to books where you must read all of them in order to be able to follow the narrative arc, (like with Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings or whatever) or would you also place something like Discworld, which has a persistent setting but mostly self contained stories, in that category?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

When you refer to series, are you specifically referring to books where you must read all of them in order to be able to follow the narrative arc, (like with Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings or whatever) or would you also place something like Discworld, which has a persistent setting but mostly self contained stories, in that category?

The second.

The one in which the first story is pretty clearly self contained and then becomes an expanded series/world if it becomes popular

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Audiences like the familiar.

Agatha Christie has Poirot and Miss Marple.

Tom Clancy has Jack Ryan.

Clive Cussler has Dirk Pitt.

It makes sense in so many ways for an author to continue writing books in a universe that readers enjoy, and that the author is already familiar with enough to not have to reinvent too much.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah I don't like those stories either? I prefer my fiction self contained.

If you are gonna do a sequel, do something like Plague of Doves and The Round House by Louise Erdrich

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are gonna do a sequel, do something like Plague of Doves and The Round House by Louise Erdrich

Well, that's certainly an opinion you are allowed to have.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chairchucker was specifically talking about works that are self-contained but share a setting, though? Discworld, Poirot and Marple are all "series" in the sense that they have recurring characters and are all set in the same world, but you can also pick pretty much any of these books off the shelf and read it without having read any of the others and it'll stand on its own.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StonecutterJoe posted:

I tried reading one of the most recommended litRPG novels, and it was literally three hundred pages of "I swung at the wolf and hit, doing nine thousand points of damage. I searched its corpse and found 3 wolf bones, 2 wolf sinews, and 1 wolf pelt. That was good because I needed 4 more wolf sinews to upgrade my bow. I saw that my harvesting skill had increased by one point. Now it was at 28 points. I approached the next wolf." Yes, there is a market for this. No, I don't know why.

Jesus H Christ. I remember back in the days of the TV Tropes threads we were mocking one of their "writers" who was having trouble with his fantasy novel because it started off with fighting a monster that would give the protagonist his girlfriend as a rare drop but he was only starting out with 3 health potions and that wouldn't be enough or some poo poo like that and we thought that was HILARIOUS.

People actually write poo poo like that?

People actually buy poo poo like that?

God almighty just when I think the world can't possibly get any stupider.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Chairchucker was specifically talking about works that are self-contained but share a setting, though? Discworld, Poirot and Marple are all "series" in the sense that they have recurring characters and are all set in the same world, but you can also pick pretty much any of these books off the shelf and read it without having read any of the others and it'll stand on its own.

Yeah, I guess my issues isn;t so much connected universes or series as much as it seems to be the expectation in genre fiction that a successful book should have a sequel or series attached to it whether the narrative actually justifies it or not.

Ender's Game comes to mind.

Runcible Cat posted:

Jesus H Christ. I remember back in the days of the TV Tropes threads we were mocking one of their "writers" who was having trouble with his fantasy novel because it started off with fighting a monster that would give the protagonist his girlfriend as a rare drop but he was only starting out with 3 health potions and that wouldn't be enough or some poo poo like that and we thought that was HILARIOUS.

His girlfriend was a rare drop?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 7, 2017

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Just to check again had anyone read Andromeda's Fall by William C Dietz ?

I put it on my Kindle after a recommendation from here or the space opera thread and so far it's not great and I'm wondering if I should give up or keep going.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to remind you that the best LitRPG novels are the Caverns and Creatures series by Robert Bevan.

It's 80% dick jokes, and every character lead (cept maybe Julian) is an rear end in a top hat. It's a wonderful series :allears:

Basic premise is rear end in a top hat C&C players (cause it's not dungeons and dragons, you see) get trapped in a game and end up having what can only be deemed misadventures if you have no soul.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

drat that's a very good price. I already bought it a few weeks ago and don't regret it though. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There should be a horror LitRPG where someone gets trapped inside a game and then discovers it uses FATAL

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His girlfriend was a rare drop?

Oh yes; he phrased it as exactly that. And everyone on the thread thought it was the most hideously, hilariously grognard thing we'd ever read.

Apparently we were wrong all the time and he was actually pioneering a new genre. Jesus gently caress.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd like to remind you that the best LitRPG novels are the Caverns and Creatures series by Robert Bevan.

It's 80% dick jokes, and every character lead (cept maybe Julian) is an rear end in a top hat. It's a wonderful series :allears:

Basic premise is rear end in a top hat C&C players (cause it's not dungeons and dragons, you see) get trapped in a game and end up having what can only be deemed misadventures if you have no soul.

Endorse, but the first book is a bit slow. From the second in they are hilarious. If I need a good, cheap laugh I just check the titles of his short stories set in that world. Multiple Orc Chasms, Probing the Annis, Genital Harpies, and Naga Please are personal title favorites.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh yes; he phrased it as exactly that. And everyone on the thread thought it was the most hideously, hilariously grognard thing we'd ever read.

Apparently we were wrong all the time and he was actually pioneering a new genre. Jesus gently caress.

No, I mean, obviously its loving weird but...

How does someone get a girlfriend as a rare drop like even by his own ruleset

Was his girlfriend eaten by a monster? Was the monster apparently able to produce girlfriends for people who killed it? Did she only promise to date him if he killed the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I read the first two of those (and the first short story collection) earlier this year, and I'm still not sure what I think about them or whether I'll go back to them. Like, the situations they find themselves in, and their solutions to those situations, are often hilarious, but the characters themselves are a group of terminally unfunny assholes who probably deserve to spend several books being hosed around by a vengeful wizard god, and that drags it down pretty heavily for me.