Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Credit cards are usually no questions asked. Debit cards with large banks (us banks chase etc) there is a much greater burden on you to resolve the situation.

Both my roommate and I had a chase for the same scam on appear on our debit cards for 10 dollars, and my cu wanted me to call this scammer place and ask for a refund, and my roommates (chase) just said “no”.

Don’t buy online with debit if you can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DamnGlitch posted:

Credit cards are usually no questions asked. Debit cards with large banks (us banks chase etc) there is a much greater burden on you to resolve the situation.

Both my roommate and I had a chase for the same scam on appear on our debit cards for 10 dollars, and my cu wanted me to call this scammer place and ask for a refund, and my roommates (chase) just said “no”.

Don’t buy online with debit if you can help it.

It's what I've got at the moment. USAA - or at least their customer service - seemed willing to help, and I made sure to get an email in requesting a refund, so I've got documentation that I've done things properly, so to speak.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Real Grades. They take three or four times as long as a HG. And you can get most of them off Amazon for under 30$

Perfect, thank you!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's what I've got at the moment. USAA - or at least their customer service - seemed willing to help, and I made sure to get an email in requesting a refund, so I've got documentation that I've done things properly, so to speak.

Perfect, thank you!

For Real Grades, I'd recommend the Gundam MKII as your starter kit. It's really well designed and the only fiddly bit is getting the piping done on the rear calves.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's the best overcomplicated kit on the market that will take days and days to finish, that also doesn't require getting into painting or electrical bits? I want a nice snap-together kit that'll take me ages to finish. Bonus points if it's less than 100$, or better yet under 40$. I'm probably not going to pick up anything until this is resolved, but... let me know what to stock my wishlist with. (Outside of just picking the prettiest kits!)

You can get basically any kit you want for 100 bucks, but I'm seconding the recommendation for RGs. The Gundam Mk 2, 00 Raiser and Unicorn are my favorites.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You can get basically any kit you want for 100 bucks, but I'm seconding the recommendation for RGs. The Gundam Mk 2, 00 Raiser and Unicorn are my favorites.

Thirding, especially the Mark II rec, it's an easy build and in my opinion is one of the few that looks better than the master grade.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boo on rg's! get the mg nu gundam ver ka or spend a bit more than $100 and go for the sazabi ver ka. Go big or go home!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Get the Mechanicore Ziegler.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

Get the Mechanicore Ziegler.

:ohdear:

I'm not ready to spend that much on a kit, or get into electrical stuff in a kit, either!

Monaghan posted:

boo on rg's! get the mg nu gundam ver ka or spend a bit more than $100 and go for the sazabi ver ka. Go big or go home!

Hahaha. My brother got me a MG for Christmas and I'm still waiting for it to arrive on the slow boat from Japan. I tell you if I had the budget for it I'd be buying MGs monthly, they sound like they take forever and are lots of fun to make.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
For RG's the best that I've built are: MK2, Unicorn, Strike Freedom, Wing Zero Custom, 00 Raiser

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

asterioth posted:

For RG's the best that I've built are: MK2, Unicorn, Strike Freedom, Wing Zero Custom, 00 Raiser

This plus the Build Strike and Astray Red Frame.

I think there are only a few bad RGs to avoid. The Sinanju's infamous for being difficult to pose without poo poo falling off (although it looks drat nice one you get it set up and never touch it again), and the Destiny is the only RG that I regret.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

RG Gold Frame is awesome.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Agreed that the Sinanju is awful and also the best. I kind of want to get another one, so I can do a better job of it.

Also, I already have the HG Kshatriya, but am considering also getting the Kshatriya Repair to go with the RG Banshee. This will end with me building the Neo Zeong in a homeless shelter, I just know it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love you guys.

"what kit should I get?"

"all the rgs, starting here, here and here, also the most expensive and complex one ever"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love you guys.

"what kit should I get?"

"all the rgs, starting here, here and here, also the most expensive and complex one ever"

Nah, Kotobukia Gojulas kits are hard to get ahold of now so we wouldn't recommend them :v:.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I had a great time with the RG Exia. My robot son is very beautiful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love you guys.

"what kit should I get?"

The RG Unicorn is pretty amazing. I wouldn't necessarily start with it, but it's a very neat build.

I'd start with the 00 or the Mk. II, but the Unicorn is a nice item on the long term list.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Quanta more than the 00. The big folding shoulder thing is better than a space plane

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Few questions while I wait for my next paycheck to get airbrush stuff

Last build I just spraypainted the armor bits and just drybrushed joint-y looking bits of the frame as I went. This time around I wanna do it up right and fully paint everything. One thing I've noticed is that the frame parts tend to be smaller and less obvious than the armor parts (this big leg armor plate is obviously a big leg armor plate, while this tiny frame part with a nub and a hole for the left arm looks almost the same as this tiny frame part with a nub and a hole for the RIGHT arm but they're different actual parts). Is this ever an issue for anyone or do you just do something like separate all the parts into bags by runner letter and use your eyes figure it out from there? Or do people assemble chunks separately first (I've seen a lot of bare frame pictures online)? Also I'm assuming obvious stuff like polycap runners just don't get painted at all.

I'm thinking since I'm doing actual paint I should do the panel line wash instead of just markers, after watching some videos it seems like it'd actually be less of a pain in the rear end. Is it okay to do the enamel wash (looking at the Tamiya stuff) over acrylic (Vallejo air)? And that goes after a gloss coat, right? So:

Vallejo Primer (do I need to thin this for an airbrush?)
Pre-shading with black Vallejo air/air mecha/whatever
Actual color with Vallejo air paint
Decals
Gloss coat (can I just use Vallejo Gloss Varnish? Is this okay in an airbrush? Do I have to thin this?)
Panel lining
Weathering
Final topcoat

^ does that look about right?

chiasaur11 posted:

The RG Unicorn is pretty amazing. I wouldn't necessarily start with it, but it's a very neat build.

I'd start with the 00 or the Mk. II, but the Unicorn is a nice item on the long term list.

RG Unicorn was my second build and I have zero coordination and shaky hands and it turned out fine. There are a few really tiny pieces and the green clear helmet thing snapped on me but it still turned out fine

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A happy ending: the company refunded me the money, I didn't have to get my bank to back me up (although they were prepared to) and all is well.

Time to purchase a kit from a reputable store! :D

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Recently I've had much more time to buy kits than I've had time to build them and as a result, I've contracted chronic backlogitis. :gonk:

I actually completed the Nu Gundam but it's box is currently serving as home to a limited edition Zeta Plus that came with a messed up box. If you can stretch for it the Nu Gundam Ver. Ka is pretty darn pretty, though the LED unit is practically inaccessible once the model is completed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, from one observer to another, the RG Unicorn is dark wizardry that you really need to know RGs a little better to understand just how goddamn genius and magical it is. Great kit, terrible first kit.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

garfield hentai posted:

Vallejo Primer (do I need to thin this for an airbrush?)
Pre-shading with black Vallejo air/air mecha/whatever
Actual color with Vallejo air paint
Gloss coat (can I just use Vallejo Gloss Varnish? Is this okay in an airbrush? Do I have to thin this?)
Panel lining
Decals

Gloss coat
Weathering
Final topcoat

^ does that look about right?

I fixed your order. You'll want to use gloss as a protective layer to protect the work you've done incase you need to remove something and only remove what you need.

Know that if you use acrylic for everything, including gloss coat, If your stripping whatever layer you run the risk of removing all the layers.

For gloss it doesn't hurt to use a lacquer based paint, but that is very noxious due to the solvents needed to thin it for airbrush use.

I just use a cheap spray can and do light coats. Lacquer will also dry rock hard.

Also rule of thumb for any coverage that you do is as thin as you can. It's easier to add paint than it is to remove excess paint that has bunched or pooled.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The November-January C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge is complete! The theme was "The Nixon Years" and boy did people rise to that challenge.

Congratulations to all the completed entries!

But it's February now, and that means the new C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge has begun!

The theme this time is Historical Empires!

What would it be like if Ogedai Khan had piloted a robot instead of riding a horse? Can a Gundam be a trireme? Imagine the Soviet Unions rolling into Hungary in Guntanks instead of regular tanks. Whatever you can come up with, as long as it's in some way related to an empire from history, it's fair game!

The challenge runs for two months, so we've got lots of time. Get your entries in by March 31st!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What would it be like if Ogedai Khan had piloted a robot instead of riding a horse?

Something like this, I think.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I knew having a horsey gundam in my backlog would pay off eventually.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The November-January C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge is complete! The theme was "The Nixon Years" and boy did people rise to that challenge.

Congratulations to all the completed entries!

But it's February now, and that means the new C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge has begun!

The theme this time is Historical Empires!

What would it be like if Ogedai Khan had piloted a robot instead of riding a horse? Can a Gundam be a trireme? Imagine the Soviet Unions rolling into Hungary in Guntanks instead of regular tanks. Whatever you can come up with, as long as it's in some way related to an empire from history, it's fair game!

The challenge runs for two months, so we've got lots of time. Get your entries in by March 31st!

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bandai's official HGUC Gundam (Ground Type) revive page is up!

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/2228/

The accessories look fairly similar to the original (the backpack pieces are almost identical in fact), except now it also comes with the beam rifle too. Still no GM head though, which is disappointing considering how good Bandai has been about extra head bits these days.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 1, 2018

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Can anyone think of any cheap HG kits with spears or non-beam swords in em?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punchymcpunch posted:

Take a look at the System Weapon 004 accessory set if it's just the weapons you're after.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

punchymcpunch posted:

It's kinda hard to find non-eastern weapons, TBH. Your best bet is to go to dalong.net and look at the HGs, and look at the weapons kits in the BF section. This is the only spear I've found in a quick glance through. Lots of axes and katanas around, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ICR1WL8/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCF1B6N/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS949M6/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QKFANG/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNNG6C4/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VPYN2C/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

The Dreissen and the Rising Gundam come with Naginatas, and the Gyancelot has a big complicated Zeon spear.

The Exia, 00, and Quanta family line has all manner of physical swords. If you want something less sci-fi You could probably get away with just painting the beam part of the Gyan or R-GyaGya's swords

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
These things probably wouldn't look too crazy if they were just painted grey

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Take a look at the System Weapon 004 accessory set if it's just the weapons you're after.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's kinda hard to find non-eastern weapons, TBH. Your best bet is to go to dalong.net and look at the HGs, and look at the weapons kits in the BF section. This is the only spear I've found in a quick glance through. Lots of axes and katanas around, though.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Dreissen and the Rising Gundam come with Naginatas, and the Gyancelot has a big complicated Zeon spear.

The Exia, 00, and Quanta family line has all manner of physical swords. If you want something less sci-fi You could probably get away with just painting the beam part of the Gyan or R-GyaGya's swords

thanks!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oh, right, IBO is a thing that exists.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

These things probably wouldn't look too crazy if they were just painted grey

The only problem with this HG kit is that it's freaking 40$+ and damnit, I can buy a RG and a half for that kind of money. :argh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
IBO is where you wanna be.

The Grazes have axes (plus a fancy broadsword for the Graze Ritter). The Graze Ein has two gigantic axes. The Gundam Barbatos has an enormous mace and slightly less enormous odachi. The Gundam Barbatos Lupus has a great big sword. The Barbatos Lupus Rex has a loving huge mace. The Hyakurens have big knives and knuckledusters. The Kimaris has a lance and folding knife. The Kimaris Trooper has a really big lance and a flat-tipped broadsword. The Vidar has a fencing epee. The Kimaris Vidar has a drill-lance and a katana. The Grimgerde has two very fancy arming swords, as does the Gundam Baal. The Helmwige Reincar has a fuckoff huge sword and a mace, which can combine together at the handle to become a colossal sword-spear. The Gundam Astaroth has a knife and a giant folding box-cutter-like sword. The Astaroth Rinascimento ups that to two knives. The Astaroth Origin has a katana that can become a hammer. The Hugo has two giant shotels.

Then there’s the MS Option Sets. MS Option Set 3 has a cleaver, a two-handed axe-flail, and an axe with a variable-length handle that can turn it into a halberd. MS Option Set 4 has a large broadsword. MS Option Set 5 has two short-handled maces and a giant fuckoff weapon like Cloud’s Buster Sword with a handle on the back. MS Option Set 6 has a bladed baseball bat. MS Option Set 7 has two evil-looking kukri-like knives. MS Option Set 8 has a one-handed and a two-handed pickaxe.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
If you're willing to look outside of Bandai, Kotobukiya MSG weapon sets have some really good stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My first MG is here, and. I thought it would be of a comparable size/part count to the RG I did, but sweet moses. :stare: So many runners! So many pieces! I'm going to be working on this for weeks!

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

mikeycp posted:

I had a great time with the RG Exia. My robot son is very beautiful.

I picked up the RG Exia and, in a fit of insanity, paid eBay markup for the Astrea conversion kit.

Worth every penny.