Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Sometimes I want to cast Bulwark Against the Elements and lure an enemy into a fireball trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AngryBooch posted:

Sometimes I want to cast Bulwark Against the Elements and lure an enemy into a fireball trap.

Galaxy-brain: party of pale elves

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Inverness posted:

In combat I want to hurl a fireball at someone's face, not stop to disarm traps and let the enemies get hits on me. It would be great if my party was intelligent enough not to walk into the giant loving spikes seconds after one of them yells "it's a trap!"
Sorry your enemies thought ahead and owned you with traps

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Basic Chunnel posted:

As in any good RPG, the true enemy is the GM/encounter designer.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cavauro posted:

The only characters who should be able to avoid traps automatically are all characters in the party who know the exact space that it occupies. Everyone else should be forced to stand still saying, "oh god" and be unable to take any action until the trap is disarmed.

Honestly, yes.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm sorry the fancy pants new AI designer they added in Deadfire doesn't have a "do not step on traps" option. :engleft:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Coldforge posted:

As in any good RPG, the true enemy is the GM/encounter designer.
Does PoE not strive to maintain its filial bonds with TTRPG gaming tho

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i hope the soundtrack is good

arcanum and iwd2 have some insanely good tunes that imo hold up outside of the game context.

tyranny's theme was great and what I hear of deadfire sounds promising, hoping it knocks my socks off like arcanum's did

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, Pillars 1's soundtrack is pretty loving top tier and Justin Bell is still on board, so I'm pretty confident.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
White March had some great use of music; I liked the chant that plays at some big climactic moments, and the Abbey using the same tune as the words to the song that's sung in the Stalwart bar. Also using the biawac music from the start of the game for your first combat with the Eyeless was a terrific idea

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Traps" remain a terrible concept in RPGs basically almost period, ever since D&D left it's pixelbitching past behind. They can and should be replaced by interesting and usable terrain in combat, and just removed outside of combat.

EDIT: Like at a certain point it's basically just "hey before the fight starts roll a die real quick. What'd you get? You take ten damage. OK FIGHT!"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Review copies absolutely are out, in case anyone was thinking otherwise based on Hieronymous' joke. Embargo lifts on release date.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dairy Power posted:

I can't think of a game in this genre I've played that won't happily walk you right into traps even after you've discovered them.

DOS2 paths you around traps and hazard zones.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Which also isn’t optimal as they’ll opt to run across half the map to avoid stepping into an harmless oil patch, so you have to lead them across one by one.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand it's actually not bad at all, since it counts as dual wielding and, as such, you get the dual wielding bonus to both weapons whether your firing your gun at range or swingin' your sword in melee. With the paucity of full attack actions, sword + gun might actually be better then dual wielding in some circumstances, since you'd be attacking just as fast, but only hitting with your mainhand instead of both hands - meaning, you get just as many attacks as dual wielding, but they're all with your one weapon.

EDIT: Mixing range and melee is absolutely possible. Paladins were the best at it in PoE1, and probably still the best at it; Flames of Devotion is a full attack, meaning if you're double fisting pistols, you smite with both of them, leading to a general smite -> switch kinda deal (or smite -> smite -> switch, or...you get the idea).

Mixed melee and ranged is also nice, if you choose to play the game as an AI programming game instead of a tactics game. It means you're not disadvantaged as much by the inability to script weapon slot switches automatically and helps keep up party cohesion for buffing and healing purposes, since your melee dudes will generally stick to shooting until the enemy closes to melee range. Which prevents them from running half way across the screen and out of the range of your healers and support characters to get ganked alone because they decided that the best dude to hit in the face was the one behind all the other enemies. It's a nice challenge in the beta to try to engineer a party wide AI script that can reliably win fights without any input from the player after the combat starts.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I hated this because it usually resulted into the characters just staying stuck to not go through any potentially hazardous surface most of the time, and the game had way too many of those.

That said, I could see it working better in Pillars because traps are relatively sparse, but I think Rope Kid already shot it down because he feels players might be annoyed if they don't have a choice in the matter.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm running a Spartan Race this week end then have to move out from the house next week. I can't play Deadfire until May 11th :( #fml

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I hated this because it usually resulted into the characters just staying stuck to not go through any potentially hazardous surface most of the time, and the game had way too many of those.

That said, I could see it working better in Pillars because traps are relatively sparse, but I think Rope Kid already shot it down because he feels players might be annoyed if they don't have a choice in the matter.

Yeah I think the issue in DOS is that hazard zones were everywhere and you could make them anywhere, so it'd be super easy to saturate a chokepoint with fire/poison/whatever. POE probably doesn't have the same issues since there is clearly a path around the obstacles.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
soon...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I feel like I should at least replay the ending

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Furism posted:

I'm running a Spartan Race this week end then have to move out from the house next week. I can't play Deadfire until May 11th :( #fml

Good chance I won't really get a chance to sink my teeth into it until late May :smith:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope the import thing gives some clue as to what the save you are importing actually is.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i'm gonna try and wait unitl july to play deadfire since the first dlc will be out by then and qol patches will have gone throuhg and will know what companion romance routes 2 focus on

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i'm gonna try and wait unitl july to play deadfire since the first dlc will be out by then and qol patches will have gone throuhg and will know what companion romance routes 2 focus on

Counter to that though, they may have patched out whatever the equivalent is of PoE's Slicken spell that hilariously knocked almost every enemy you could go up against on their rear end and kept them there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i'm just wiating for the dating sim extension

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I kind of like, by the way, that aside from announcing TEKEHU FUCKS that Obsidian is refusing to tell us which companions are romanceable and by who. The way Bioware always painstakingly outlined that always felt weird, like mail order waifu catalogue shopping or something.

It will be good to just play the game and see what happens :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Ironically Tekehu is the one companion you cannot romance

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry but there's no way they put that guy in the game and there's no way to gently caress him.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
He joins your party after Eothas chops his wang off and he refuses to bang without his beloved wang.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i hope the soundtrack is good

arcanum and iwd2 have some insanely good tunes that imo hold up outside of the game context.

tyranny's theme was great and what I hear of deadfire sounds promising, hoping it knocks my socks off like arcanum's did

arcanum had a lot more going for it in terms of the distinctive game aesthetic that the music complemented so well. i mean i'd hope it's that memorable but it's something of a velleity

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tekehu is strictly a platonic gently caress-buddy and will never actually love you that way.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Tekehu is strictly a platonic gently caress-buddy and will never actually love you that way.

what about the sword

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wants to take it slow and see where it goes. Buy her dinner* first.

*dinner is the blood of your enemies.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Count Uvula posted:

He joins your party after Eothas chops his wang off and he refuses to bang without his beloved wang.

he's a watershaper, he'll make it work

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I kind of like, by the way, that aside from announcing TEKEHU FUCKS that Obsidian is refusing to tell us which companions are romanceable and by who. The way Bioware always painstakingly outlined that always felt weird, like mail order waifu catalogue shopping or something.

It will be good to just play the game and see what happens :shrug:

Really the only advance knowledge I want in a game like this is break points /points of no return where quests autofail. Obsidian have generally been good about that kind of thing, specifically in Pillars and New Vegas, so I'm not really worried enough to go checking online before I play. Then again, when I played Tyranny it was useful to know in advance that you want to do the DLC companion quests before finishing act 2. I might well have left them as late as possible otherwise

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

Really the only advance knowledge I want in a game like this is break points /points of no return where quests autofail. Obsidian have generally been good about that kind of thing, specifically in Pillars and New Vegas, so I'm not really worried enough to go checking online before I play

I'm not gonna play till after I get off work on release day. I hope by that point people can tell me where to get the various companions.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I wish they would just release the full class trees already. I need a few days to properly agonize over going full paladin or multiclassing...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Do paladins even look good to multi? They seemed to have a pretty full stack of cards in pillars one so i cant imagine them needing much else besides some fighter skills?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
According to CohhCarnage he is the only streamer that will get to play the game friday, while other streamers will be allowed to do it saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Iretep posted:

Do paladins even look good to multi? They seemed to have a pretty full stack of cards in pillars one so i cant imagine them needing much else besides some fighter skills?

They do, at least based on what we know atm. In the beta I simulated Pallegina as a Paladin/Chanter and she had ridiculous utility.

• Locked thread