Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

duep posted:

I just switched to winter tires after having to replace a pair because of a nail and what is the first thing I notice when I remove my summer proxes ? You've guessed it. A two inch long nail stuck in the front left tire. Goddamn contractors too stupid to clean after themselves. I hope they all get jumped in a dark alley, get stabbed in the guts, get their eyes gorged out and finally get urinated on.
I got a Teks screw in the tread of one of my rear tires. I drove home with it in and instead of driving it to the tire place, I decided to be a loving idiot and remove it with a shifter (last time I got one in my other car it was short and didn't go through). Of course once I got it out the air started hissing out and I had to drive it to the nearest tire place before it went completely flat. It only cost about $20 to fix, and hasn't given me any problems since even when driving like a cock. If it's in the tread just take it to a tire place.

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

duep posted:

I just switched to winter tires after having to replace a pair because of a nail and what is the first thing I notice when I remove my summer proxes ? You've guessed it. A two inch long nail stuck in the front left tire. Goddamn contractors too stupid to clean after themselves. I hope they all get jumped in a dark alley, get stabbed in the guts, get their eyes gorged out and finally get urinated on.

There are contractors at our place right now. As soon as they cleared out of the garage I swept it out thoroughly. They came back two weeks later to finish the little piddly things that you always find after they leave, and sure enough after they left the driveway had two or three screws. Both my roommate and I run full-slick R-compounds on the two cars that are garaged so it really pisses me off. They look at me like I'm nuts when I'm out there with a pushbroom as they are leaving, and I look at them like they are loving assholes.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
BTW Savington - I'm an idiot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I just found out one of my wheel studs has come off after the shakedown drive for the new window regulator. Is this the right replacement stud?
http://appliedracingtechnology.ipower.com/productdetail.php?productid=58
I coul also get one from Rosenthal Mazda for a bit more:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16348&cat=0&page=1

Is this a replacement I could do myself? I haven't found instructions for it specific to the Miata, but I'm not sure it'd be that different from other cars. Either way, it seems just a touch out of my comfort zone.

edit: from poking around, both options seem fine, specifically since the ART site's wording is "for 1.6 rear hubs", and the 1.6 was discontinued in 94.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 13, 2008

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

iscariot posted:

BTW Savington - I'm an idiot.

You are one dumb motherfucker. Haven't you seen the thread online calling all of those products total poo poo?

Goon insurance service: Send them all to me and I will give you 10% of what you paid for them.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Can anybody recall off hand what weight fluids to use in a 94M trans/diff?

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
75/90!

I use 1 quart MTL 1 quart MT90 in my trans and 80/90GL5 in my diff.

Anyone see this yet? I'm still waiting for the classes to be finalized because I'm one point out of street class and far too slow to compete in modified.

https://www.miatachallenge.com

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Schwack posted:

Can anybody recall off hand what weight fluids to use in a 94M trans/diff?
Castrol says 75W/80 or 75W/85 for the transmission and 80W/90 for the diff.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Dicker posted:

75/90!

I use 1 quart MTL 1 quart MT90 in my trans and 80/90GL5 in my diff.

Anyone see this yet? I'm still waiting for the classes to be finalized because I'm one point out of street class and far too slow to compete in modified.

https://www.miatachallenge.com

My daily-driven full interior car is in Unlimited/Open :saddowns:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
My wife is out of town and took the 92x, so I have my old Miata for the next month, and I've realised just how much work it needs. it's a 96 NA, with lots of the usual issues - the steering wheel is disintegrating, the clutch master cylinder (or maybe the slave) is leaking, and I just discovered that the connectors for the screenwasher lines are buggered - the Y joint that goes to the first wash nozzle disintegrated in my hand when I popped the bonnet to see why they weren't working.

Since it's 12 years old I also need to do something about the suspension - what does everyone recommend for a daily driver that realistically spends its entire life in town? Will I need to have all the bushings replaced as well as the shocks? Do I need new springs too?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Savington posted:

My daily-driven full interior car is in Unlimited/Open :saddowns:
You also rock STi's so :argh:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Dr JonboyG posted:

Since it's 12 years old I also need to do something about the suspension - what does everyone recommend for a daily driver that realistically spends its entire life in town? Will I need to have all the bushings replaced as well as the shocks? Do I need new springs too?

I don't know about bushings but Tokico Illumina shocks paired with shorter softer FatCatMotorsport bumpstops all around drastically improved my ride quality. I also hit the bumpstops them way less.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Next question - the previous owner had a wet cell battery (of course) which I replaced with an AGM WestCo a few years ago. As might be expected, there's pretty bad corrosion in the trunk, which I've been too stupid to take care of until now. What's the best way to deal with it?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

Next question - the previous owner had a wet cell battery (of course) which I replaced with an AGM WestCo a few years ago. As might be expected, there's pretty bad corrosion in the trunk, which I've been too stupid to take care of until now. What's the best way to deal with it?

I'd probably go at it with a wire wheel and then primer and paint it on my car, but if it was a black car I'd probably just wire wheel it then paint it with por15.

in other news i just got a Westco battery on thursday and it is so much nicer than my old rear end panasonic AGM that was in there. Also transmission noise is greatly reduced when you filly the tranny all the way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I filled a tranny up all the way once...

How much does a new OEM clutch cost? Installation?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Phone posted:

I filled a tranny up all the way once...

Finishline sells the clutch kit for $100 bucks.
http://finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16410&cat=0&page=1

Don't know what installation would run a couple hundred probably. If you have the time/space/tools you could do it in an afternoon yourself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Phone posted:

I've been keeping tabs on this as well. OEM-style clutch is $100 from Rosenthal: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16410&cat=320&page=1
$200 for actual OEM: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16869&cat=320&page=1
arggggg beaten.

kimbo305 posted:

I just found out one of my wheel studs has come off ...
Is this a replacement I could do myself? I haven't found instructions for it specific to the Miata, but I'm not sure it'd be that different from other cars. Either way, it seems just a touch out of my comfort zone.

Last try with this. Anyone done it themselves before?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I've been keeping tabs on this as well. OEM-style clutch is $100 from Rosenthal: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16410&cat=320&page=1
$200 for actual OEM: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16869&cat=320&page=1
arggggg beaten.

The actual OEM is a waste of money, they'll both do the same exact job exactly the same.

As for the stud they should just press out. I don't know how difficult it is though as I have never done it. Hammering it would leave you liable to damage the wheel bearing so you might need a puller or some sort of weird c clamp arrangement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FireTora posted:

As for the stud they should just press out. I don't know how difficult it is though as I have never done it. Hammering it would leave you liable to damage the wheel bearing so you might need a puller or some sort of weird c clamp arrangement.

I've found a trusted shop so I wouldn't mind ponying up for a carefully done job. I just wasn't sure if this was something I could hamfist my way through without fear of denting something important.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

FireTora posted:

I'd probably go at it with a wire wheel and then primer and paint it on my car, but if it was a black car I'd probably just wire wheel it then paint it with por15.

in other news i just got a Westco battery on thursday and it is so much nicer than my old rear end panasonic AGM that was in there. Also transmission noise is greatly reduced when you filly the tranny all the way.

It is indeed black - thanks for the advice.

It gets better - I get in the car to drive home, and when I depress the clutch more than halfway, there's a grinding or scraping sound. Oh yay. I'm guessing it's either related to the leaky slave or master cylinder, or a bearing's about to go. Seems to have stopped now, but I think it's time to take it in...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I took some photos of my friends new eunos'.
Thought some of you guys might like them :)

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 900x326 image.

Click here for the full 800x511 image.

Click here for the full 800x540 image.

I took a bunch of pics but didn't think it was worth its own thread. Thought some people in here might like them though. I'll delete if a mod thinks it's off topic or something.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

It is indeed black - thanks for the advice.

It gets better - I get in the car to drive home, and when I depress the clutch more than halfway, there's a grinding or scraping sound. Oh yay. I'm guessing it's either related to the leaky slave or master cylinder, or a bearing's about to go. Seems to have stopped now, but I think it's time to take it in...

That's probably the throwout bearing. The clutch kits come with a new one.

^^ nice pictures

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

A5H posted:

PICS
Ugh I want flares :smith:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I think there's something off about the handling of this miata, maybe alignment-related. It's on RE750s, which are great in the wet but I have so little confidence with the car in the middle of a corner - it's almost like the car wants to oversteer, but I'm not going nearly fast enough to break traction. I'm hoping an alignment and new shocks will fix that. Oh, and the engine sounds very tappety, but I'll get them to look at that when it goes in for a check up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I did one on the front of my '99 the other day. Really easy:

*Loosen the lugs, and break off the stud that Dumbass McFuckstick trashed by using an airgun to thread it. Harbor Freight breaker bar comes in handy.
*Jack up the corner, remove the wheel
*Remove one of the sliders and move the caliper out of the way. Probably take the pads out too since they won't want to stay in, and watch out for those drat springs.
*Remove the rotor
*Attack the short stud with your weapon of choice to loosen it. I went for a combination of a C-clamp to try and push it out, and a hammer to finish it off. Took a few minutes.
*Insert new stud, try and line up the splines if you can.
*Stack a bunch of washers on the stud and use the lug nut to pull it into the hub. Do this slowly.
*Remove lug nut and washers, put everything back together the way it was.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I did one on the front of my '99 the other day. Really easy:

*Loosen the lugs, and break off the stud that Dumbass McFuckstick trashed by using an airgun to thread it. Harbor Freight breaker bar comes in handy.
*Jack up the corner, remove the wheel
*Remove one of the sliders and move the caliper out of the way. Probably take the pads out too since they won't want to stay in, and watch out for those drat springs.
*Remove the rotor
*Attack the short stud with your weapon of choice to loosen it. I went for a combination of a C-clamp to try and push it out, and a hammer to finish it off. Took a few minutes.
*Insert new stud, try and line up the splines if you can.
*Stack a bunch of washers on the stud and use the lug nut to pull it into the hub. Do this slowly.
*Remove lug nut and washers, put everything back together the way it was.

Coincidentally, I recently did one of the front wheels of my '99 Miata too. That sounds like about what I did. I'm a huge fag though, so I took the hub all the way off, pressed the old stud out, and pressed a new one in (a vice and some sockets work fine for this). The only extra thing you have to do is remove the axle nut, but that can be a bitch if you don't have airtools, since it's staked. Staked nuts have a collar that is bent with a chisel or something to catch an indentation in whatever they thread onto. You're supposed to replace it if you take it off, which is about $5 at Autozone. Or just reuse and stake in a different place.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dr JonboyG posted:

Oh, and the engine sounds very tappety, but I'll get them to look at that when it goes in for a check up.
Check your oil level and try switching to Mobil 1 10w30, that took care of it for me. After the second change with Mobil 1 my hot tick is entirely gone. Having them check your lifters is going to cost more than you're going to want to pay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

destructo posted:

Check your oil level and try switching to Mobil 1 10w30, that took care of it for me. After the second change with Mobil 1 my hot tick is entirely gone. Having them check your lifters is going to cost more than you're going to want to pay.

Also consider that the BP taps like there's no tomorrow even under normal conditions. I've been changing the oil on the '99 with full synthetic every 5k for the past 50k miles (bought it at 42k, used nothing but M1 0w40/5w30 or Castrol 0w30 since) and the oil comes out damned clean according to a recent UOA, and it still taps like a bastard.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah, I'm not keen on asking them to tear down the engine. I was considering switching to synthetic but I was worried about leaks since it's been using dino oil for the past 115k miles. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have been charged with finding the best winter tires for my brother's NA. I run michelin x-ices on my jetta but I live in colorado and my brother lives in minnesota. This means he'll be dealing with -10 F, which I assume means he may need a different rubber compound?

Anyone with experience care to weigh in on their winter tire choice?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VPILF posted:

The only extra thing you have to do is remove the axle nut, but that can be a bitch if you don't have airtools, since it's staked. Staked nuts have a collar that is bent with a chisel or something to catch an indentation in whatever they thread onto. You're supposed to replace it if you take it off, which is about $5 at Autozone. Or just reuse and stake in a different place.

So I need to confirm that I have the right sized socket for the huge axle nut (at least I recall it being pretty big when I last looked). What about staking makes it easier for air tools to take off? Or does the presence of the staking just mean that it's on really loving tight? Does any have a torque spec or references for this nut? I couldn't find it on miata.net or on google.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 15, 2008

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

kimbo305 posted:

So I need to confirm that I have the right sized socket for the huge axle nut (at least I recall it being pretty big when I last looked). What about staking makes it easier for air tools to take off? Or does the presence of the staking just mean that it's on really loving tight? Does any have a torque spec or references for this nut? I couldn't find it on miata.net or on google.

If I remember correctly, the torque spec for the axle nuts is 180ft-lbs. Working on mine, even after unstaking the nuts with a punch, I only got one of the two off. Attempting to remove the second one, I broke 3 breaker bars and didn't have any luck with the two electric impacts we've got. I had to take the car to a local garage where the proprietor was nice enough to pop the nut off using his air impact in about two seconds free of charge.

So yeah, they're usually on there really loving tight.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I looked over an MX-5 today, 1994, 1.8, 131 000 KM, for 4500€.

only two things kinda made me worry. The CAS seems to be leaking oil and there was a lot of oil/dirt gunk around the front of the engine.(near the crank) are either of these things I need to be terribly worried about? I have access to a shop with lifts and basically all the tools anyone ever needs, but I'd rather not have to spend hours fixing a car I just bought :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

only two things kinda made me worry. The CAS seems to be leaking oil and there was a lot of oil/dirt gunk around the front of the engine.(near the crank) are either of these things I need to be terribly worried about? I have access to a shop with lifts and basically all the tools anyone ever needs, but I'd rather not have to spend hours fixing a car I just bought :(
CAS o-ring is a hour fix with a $2 part, you can do it without taking the valve cover off. See miata.net/garage for instructions. As far as the gunk on the front of your engine, maybe it's the valve cover seal? Sounds like you may as well do both at once if that's the case.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
gunk on the front of the engine = front main seal

just replace it when you do the timing belt/water pump.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
ok, cool beans. the front main seal won't fail and make my engine 'splode, right? or should I take care of it sooner rather than later?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you like oil pressure, I suggest you do it.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Phone posted:

If you like oil pressure, I suggest you do it.

This is just damned funny... I don't know why, but this statement just made me laugh out loud, which isn't a good thing when you're sitting in a class...

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I think I have a hole in my exhaust. Up to about 3k RPMs my engine has suddenly gained a very loud bass-y sort of rumbly growl. Does that sound like a muffler or exhaust problem? Should I just take it to a local muffler shop, or are there any affordable performance exhausts I can replace it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

I think I have a hole in my exhaust. Up to about 3k RPMs my engine has suddenly gained a very loud bass-y sort of rumbly growl. Does that sound like a muffler or exhaust problem? Should I just take it to a local muffler shop, or are there any affordable performance exhausts I can replace it with?
The ebay Tsudo N1 doesn't have a bad sound to it and you can get that for around $200 shipped if you try and get a seller to cut a deal. It's 2.25 piping the whole way through. Doesn't sound half-bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VaMKiEtz5I

Maybe I'm biased, but does the BP series seem to have an.. acceptable note for a I4? I've never heard a Honda sound like that.

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2008