Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think that was on Conan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Inside every "southern gentleman" lies a genocidal maniac, yearning to be free.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Less "hahaha what kind of sick gently caress would come up with that?" and more "hahahaha you wrote one of the most brilliant pilots in television history but you came up with the idea for Walt to Macgyver a loving torture machine in his basement because he was more comfortable with than murder hahahaha what the gently caress was going through your head?"

"You ever think how loving lucky you were for the writer's strike to happen during your first season thus allowing everything to happen the way it did? Holy poo poo, hey Ringo Starr, meet the luckiest man in show biz."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I won't stand for any disses of Ringo Starr. :colbert:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ringo is my favorite Beatle.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Less "hahaha what kind of sick gently caress would come up with that?" and more "hahahaha you wrote one of the most brilliant pilots in television history but you came up with the idea for Walt to Macgyver a loving torture machine in his basement because he was more comfortable with than murder hahahaha what the gently caress was going through your head?"

"You ever think how loving lucky you were for the writer's strike to happen during your first season thus allowing everything to happen the way it did? Holy poo poo, hey Ringo Starr, meet the luckiest man in show biz."

He said it was just one idea of many thrown out there in the knowledge that it wasn't necessarily actually what they were going to do, it wasn't something that they would've done if not for the writer's strike.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It's the easiest thing in the world to come up with the most horrible thing in the world, although I think Vince is a little unhinged for actually suggesting them out loud. But suggesting really insane, obviously wrong things can serve a purpose. On one of the podcasts for season 5B of Breaking Bad, they talk about how they worked out what Hank would do next, immediately after the cliff-hanger. The list of possibilities is so huge that it's actually productive to write down some of the more obvious, dumb ones, just to explicitly rule them out and lay some ground rules about what's not going to happen. For example, Hank could just emerge from the bathroom, collect his gun and shoot Walt dead. Right? Well, that's "obvious", but it's also obviously stupid, for numerous reasons. He could confront Walt directly in front of everybody, verbally; he could arrest him, or surreptitiously summon the police and then wait; he could start combing the rest of the house for more evidence. But pinning those ideas down on paper or a whiteboard or something makes it easier to see why they're the wrong choices. It also makes it clearer what direction you actually need to go in.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

art is not about what you do, it's about what you don't do.

I guarantee every one of the involved writers in BB had ideas as asinine as those ones being brought up by Vince. It's just they ended up not being done.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

It would've been great if Hank didn't have to die. :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it me or did Huell and Kuby only get two scenes together in all of BB? The one where they pressure Ted into writing a cheque and the one where they lie back on Walt's 80 million. There's a door open for them to cameo on BCS since Saul probably knew them before he hired them as muscle.

One gripe with the last season of BB is that with Fring dead the show has to reboot itself, and the pacing is so quick we never get a long enough grip on Todd, Lydia and the Nazis as characters.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it me or did Huell and Kuby only get two scenes together in all of BB? The one where they pressure Ted into writing a cheque and the one where they lie back on Walt's 80 million. There's a door open for them to cameo on BCS since Saul probably knew them before he hired them as muscle.

One gripe with the last season of BB is that with Fring dead the show has to reboot itself, and the pacing is so quick we never get a long enough grip on Todd, Lydia and the Nazis as characters.

I"m hoping for a show, any show, starring Bill Burr.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

He said it was just one idea of many thrown out there in the knowledge that it wasn't necessarily actually what they were going to do, it wasn't something that they would've done if not for the writer's strike.

I'm pretty sure he said that the other writers convinced him it was a bad idea, it wasn't something he put out knowing it was bad. He had it way too fleshed out for it to have just been from a spitballing session.

But the writer's strike had nothing to do with it, yeah.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I really want to see more of those two, especially Huell. I don't particularly want to see unrelated Breaking Bad characters pop up in this show much. In a city the size of Albuquerque, I'm fine with the lawyer Tuco once held hostage coincidentally becoming Badger's lawyer. More coincidences would just feel forced to me.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

qntm posted:

It's the easiest thing in the world to come up with the most horrible thing in the world, although I think Vince is a little unhinged for actually suggesting them out loud. But suggesting really insane, obviously wrong things can serve a purpose.

It's the basic principle to free speech- all speech, even speech that is wrong, has to be permitted to exist. The free trade of ideas requires the bad ideas. Bad ideas do you a service by strengthening the resolve of the good ones. You have to entertain notions you don't particularly like to find your way to the ones you do like. In a creative process, sometimes the biggest "aha!" moments come when you let yourself go down the wrong path. Very interesting fascinating incredible stuff.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Freshman creative writers ITT

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No this is extremely interesting fascinating incredible stuff man

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Idran posted:

I'm pretty sure he said that the other writers convinced him it was a bad idea, it wasn't something he put out knowing it was bad. He had it way too fleshed out for it to have just been from a spitballing session.

But the writer's strike had nothing to do with it, yeah.

I'm not saying he knew it was bad per se, just that it likely wasn't something he fought tooth and nail to do.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

echronorian posted:

No this is extremely interesting fascinating incredible stuff man
If the podcast is any indication, the writers of the show would agree with that terminology.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Katana Gomai posted:

Freshman creative writers ITT

Here. Have this from some guy on Reddit. He calls it the "Fire and Ice Theory".

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Uh, thanks for posting reddit poo poo?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Meatwave posted:

:itwaspoo:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:captainpop:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Meatwave posted:

Wait, how is Hamlin a good guy, he manipulated Chuck into agreeing with him for Jimmy to not use his own name for his law practice.

0/10, immersion ruined.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:agreed: Hamlin is a dick

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't know why I read all that, but he says "purple is a kind of red." It's the classic problem of noticing symbolism X and Y, then stretching it to include W, J, and Q as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the red/blue binary is there, but maybe it changes meaning depending on context, so maybe in some scenes it represents good/evil and in other scenes it represents legal/illegal.

That's my attempt to rationalize Hamlindigo.

I think the theory's worth keeping in mind, maybe as we get more episodes we'll get a clearer picture of what the red/blue mean.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't wait for future episodes to not support this theory at all except by coincidence, so people like that either become crazier and crazier trying to justify their knee-jerk "insight" with increasingly more far-fetched examples, or just go away.

(I assumed it was a troll when I got to the DEEP PURPLE bit actually)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

He calls himself a conspiracy nut in the second sentence and you guys argue at which point exactly his argument becomes faulty lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welllll BB did do a lot with colors intentionally, so I think there's something there in BCS and that it's mean to be noticed, buuuuut....

Who knows what they're up to. Maybe it's meant to be straightforward, or maybe they are aware of how fans analyze this stuff and it's actually a red herring to set up a giant fake out. Who knows.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Maybe they're incredibly talented directors who put a lot of thought and energy into telling their stories and spergs search for patterns in their work (which are probably common tools/tactics done in film) that don't exist? :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, Vince Gilligan even says they obsessed over putting color theory into BB...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-08/21/vince-gilligan-breaking-bad-final-season-interview

quote:

GQ: This week's episode, "Buried", as it struck me as a great example of the way you use colours and the visual detail that goes into the show. How much do you obsess over those details?

Vince Gilligan: Good question. I obsess a great deal more than I should over those details. I sweat the small stuff. I have a lot of help in that in that my production designer - a man named Mark Freeborn, and before him we had a previous production designer named Robb Wilson King - has always spent a lot of time on Breaking Bad thinking about these details as well. We would talk a lot with our costume designer - first a woman named Kathleen Detoro and now a woman named Jennifer Bryan - about colour, specifically the use of colour. At the beginning of every series we would have a meeting in which I would discuss with the production designer and the costume designer about the specific palettes we would use for any given character throughout the course of the year.

We did this in microcosm in the pilot episode: for instance in the pilot, it was intentional that Walt start off very beige and khaki-ish, very milquetoast, and he would progress through that one hour of television to green and thus show his process of evolution as a character. We started to do that in macrocosm throughout particular series: we'd start Walt for example one year in red and take him to black. The one character we did not do that with was Marie, who stayed very consistent in her colour palette: she would always wear purple, to the extent of being quite monomaniacal about it. But there's quite a number of man hours spent discussing colour usage, and assigning colours to different characters and thinking in those terms.

... so I think there's something going on there in BCS, but it's not clear exactly what yet. I think it's best to keep observing and evaluating instead of putting forth a Grand Unifying Theory this early in the season and trying to shoehorn things to fit the theory.

edit: VVV agree, it's probably in broad thematic strokes and predictions are probably dumb.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yes it's there but all it does is work with the major obvious themes hitting you over the head, it doesn't inform some deeper meaning. It serves the really loving obvious things happening. People kept trying to extrapolate color themes into predictions and poo poo with BB.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

echronorian posted:

People kept trying to extrapolate color themes into predictions and poo poo with BB.

I thought crazy theory crafting is required for posting in TVIV?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yes it is and I'm glad to see its back in full swing. I'm working hard on my werewolf theory about Jimmy and his brother I look forward to illuminating you all to the obviousness of it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Peter Gould on twitter said that they were using a color theme in BCS and brought up that Red = Crime soooooOOOOO

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Asema posted:

Peter Gould on twitter said that they were using a color theme in BCS and brought up that Red = Crime soooooOOOOO

There's a distinction between crime and evil, which is where I think the redditor's theory goes wrong. And his explanation for Deep Purple doesn't hold water.

A law/crime interpretation seems to be more compatible with what we're seeing on screen, and keeps things flexible enough that we can have good guys and bad guys wearing blue and red. The cops don't seem good, Hamlin isn't really the good guy, but they are the law so they wear blue.

How's that?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Purple is a mix of blue and red anyway, so if anything that fat guy is BCS's equivalent of Two-Face from Batman.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

BCS has ulillillia do the wardrobe on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Guys, I think I figured out the car's color scheme. "Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of Jack." It's like a coral snake, which is found in New Mexico. Red on black is the New Mexico Milk Snake. The car is an Esteem. Jimmy is going to get almost killed by his own self-esteem AKA his ego. Nacho is a New Mexico Milk Snake because he was wearing red on black when he was in jail. That means he is not dangerous, but just looks dangerous. It's all coming together. Please stay tuned for my 5000 word post explaining everything.

• Locked thread