Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The thing one should remember about the Valkyries: there is no time limit. If you're patient they're a lot easier than if you try to fight them in full on anger or style modes.

You must become calm dad Kratos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

I don't know how I feel about this game.

Okay, that's a loving lie. I know pretty well how I feel about this game, but it's like six different ways at once, and it's weird.

The biggest problem with this game, really, is the reviews. I don't know why my usual cynicism failed me this time around but god help me, I bought into the hype just a little. And that probably made me resent the game a whole lot more for what failings it has than I might have otherwise. It's a pretty good game, really. I'd say it's even a great game. It is not a fawning 10/10. It is not GOTY. It is not even the best uncompromisingly challenging game with an unexpectedly emotionally engaging story about coming to terms with yourself and climbing a mountain that came out in 2018. I hate that I got caught up in these expectations because I don't really think anything about GoW that I didn't also think about Horizon Zero Dawn, except now I can't stop wondering why more people aren't complaining about the piles of needless loadout cruft, the pointless obsession with stats and skill trees and upgrades, all the small failings of the combat that don't matter 99% of the time but are thrown into sharp relief during challenges in which the game starts demanding something approaching mastery.

I feel like I could bitch and moan for hours about the combat, both specific mechanic and encounters and general stuff, all totally justifiably, despite the fact that I broadly really love the game and will probably play it again someday? I think? Is that weird? Like, I think it's exhilarating, and revelatory, and fun, but also utterly infuriating at times, and built on a few very stupid decisions, and I don't think the people who most deeply understand the system and the people who decided what the game would demand of players are the same people.

I feel like I could write an enormous itemised post of extremely specific things I don't like, and it would be cathartic, and it would teach me about myself. I'm probably not going to, though.
I wasn't blown away either, but the Valkyrie endgame left a great last impression, even if the gear and crafting system is dumb and abstruse without looking stuff up online.

I love HZD orders of magnitude more than this, but GoW is definitely better than Frozen Wilds.

I also think GoW is a lot of people's first exposure to Norse mythology - unfortunately - and who can fault someone for digging Jormboy.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't looked up a single thing about the game online. It's more intuitive than most games with stats and gear. Bigger numbers is more good

ufarn
May 30, 2009

precision posted:

I haven't looked up a single thing about the game online. It's more intuitive than most games with stats and gear. Bigger numbers is more good
It's more or less the exact same issue as HZD where you don't know when's a good or bad time to upgrade, and which materials are used for what, which makes people like me stick to the most basic stuff for most of the game. At least resources don't take up limited inventory space!

One way to handle it would be to do what HZD in a few places and just give you the gear directly in plot contexts.

I'm sure they'll improve it and add some more info in whatever comes next.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

The thing one should remember about the Valkyries: there is no time limit. If you're patient they're a lot easier than if you try to fight them in full on anger or style modes.

You must become calm dad Kratos

For the last one anyway. You can totally be screamy "AREEEEES" Kratos for the other ones. In fact I find it easiest to just pop all your poo poo at once and just chain gently caress most of the Valks in a corner.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I still think the game is great and I'm eager to get back into it but I hope they ditch the fuckawful camera in the sequel. It's real bad having Kratos take up a solid third of the screen and having to rely on flashing lights or your son having a panic attack to know your about to get walloped.

I'm fine that they want to make this series more emotional for whatever reason but that's the one thing I don't think translated well at all.

The camera was one of my favorite design decisions honestly. I loved it and it felt great all around to me. Really kept me in the scale of the world and made the battles feel intense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The "it's not a 10/10!!!!" thing is cracking me up. Mostly because that stupid scale has always been awful and at least half the people take a 10/10 to mean A Game that Does Everything Right and Never Makes a Mistake and Contains Exactly the Mechanics You Like Done Exactly The Way You Like Them. Like that's of any use to anyone.

Save yourself the headache and just take a 10/10 to mean 4/4 stars in those film guides from the 80s and 90s - i.e. the game accomplishes what it sets out to do at a high level and makes no major mistakes getting there. "A great movie is three good scenes and no bad ones" --Howard Hawks

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I could make a categorical list of how HZD is better but this was still a fun game and I don't regret playing it at all. I do wish I wanted to do postgame more though, the remaining valkyries and the last couple Muspelheim trials don't really hold a lot of appeal right now.

I really want a NG+ though so that should say something about it at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If God of War isn’t a 10/10 I would genuinely loving love to know what is.

H:ZD would be an 8/8.5 out of 10 on whatever 10/10 rubric I’d use for God of War

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It's also almost as if professional reviews, as well as the opinions of people in this thread, are entirely subjective.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Save yourself the headache and just take a 10/10 to mean 4/4 stars in those film guides from the 80s and 90s - i.e. the game accomplishes what it sets out to do at a high level and makes no major mistakes getting there. "A great movie is three good scenes and no bad ones" --Howard Hawks

This should be the standard, yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God of War occupies the same headspace as Horizon and all my other favorite games where I'm like, "I could nitpick about stuff if I wanted, but why would I? I enjoyed every moment of this game so who caressssss," the end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

God of War occupies the same headspace as Horizon and all my other favorite games where I'm like, "I could nitpick about stuff if I wanted, but why would I? I enjoyed every moment of this game so who caressssss," the end.

I mostly feel this way about music but with media/art in general I find such little worth in deeply nitpicky critiquing things. It always seems self serving and a complete waste of time to me. Things should be examined and explored for sure but it always gets taken to bizarre levels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By doing some but not all side content I've always had way more than enough materials to have two "unique" pieces of armor for each slot upgraded. I thought the way the materials were done was great in fact because there's actually not much decision making due to how little overlap there is for upgrading the "good stuff". I'm probably 3/4 done and for most of the game I've been rocking Tyr, Ancient, Traveler and Magma armors willy nilly because they all look baller

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
There are lots of legitimate things to gripe about the game, but it's not the game's fault it was overhyped. Like, it really shouldn't make you dislike a game more just because others loved it way more than you did. At least that's my perspective.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kilometers Davis posted:

I mostly feel this way about music but with media/art in general I find such little worth in deeply nitpicky critiquing things. It always seems self serving and a complete waste of time to me. Things should be examined and explored for sure but it always gets taken to bizarre levels.

It just depends on how you critique it. Talking about the themes of fatherhood in this game and how they relate to traditional masculinity might be worth doing. A 20 minute Youtube "Everything Wrong With God Of War" probably isn't.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

On the flip side, I wasn't going to buy this game right away, and I waited a few days until after it was released and I mostly changed my mind because of the reception is got immediately post release and friends of mine talking about it. So I bought in earlier than I would have because of the hype.

The game has exceeded all my expectations, even knowing that there are some things I don't particularly like.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It just depends on how you critique it. Talking about the themes of fatherhood in this game and how they relate to traditional masculinity might be worth doing. A 20 minute Youtube "Everything Wrong With God Of War" probably isn't.

I agree completely. I’m sad that doesn’t exist now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think it was overhyped at all. It was actually pretty low key until a bunch of reviews were like "Holy poo poo this is awesome" and then all of sudden, the week before release, people were paying attention. It's really weird to me to sit down and go "let's see of this is really a 10/10. I'll show those guys. It's probably actually a 9.1". It's funny to see all of the people that are just sort of mad at the ridiculously good reviews.

Overhype is like, Destiny, or Battlefront. Mediocre games that have a ton of money to try and convince you that you are excited for it.

Fwiw I don't think the game is perfect at all. It gets enough stuff right Id still give it a 10/10 if for some reason I was reviewing games though. And I think saying it's not a GOTY contender is ridiculous.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 4, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game had exactly the right amount of hype

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kilometers Davis posted:

I agree completely. I’m sad that doesn’t exist now.

Here's something that nobody has talked about, when Kratos and Atreus share the Lemnos wine, I found it to be a very solid piece of storytelling because it's literally the only time in the game that "no bullshit" Kratos embraces artifice. The wine has turned and he knows it's bad, but he still makes that exaggerated "aaaah!" of pleasure because, ultimately, Kratos chooses to embrace his heritage even though it's been spoiled and encourages his son to do the same. Great character moment in addition to being cool symbolism.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

All of the hype was people being blown away by it and barely being able to not break NDAs and gush over everything. There was marketing money behind it no doubt but it always felt like it was a company extremely proud of their game vs trying to deflect all criticisms and convince everyone they had to buy it asap. Refreshing and rare compared to what can happen often, though I think hype is usually genuine for most things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean if there is one thing can see in every inch of God of War it’s love. This game was made by people who love video games for who love video games and it shows.

And I’m a total action game mega snob who thinks DMC/Bayonetta are the best games ever made God of War’s combat system is so much better than any of its predecessors and is still so fluidly its own thing, I can’t stress how amazing the combat flow is even compared to the extreme difficulties of the previous games (I’ve beaten every GoW on hardest difficulty except this one, haven’t started GMGOW yet)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's MOGR

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I had no idea a new God of war was coming out until shortly before the reviews dropped and didn't care. Once I saw all the 10/10s, I decided to pick it up and that turned out to be a fantastic decision.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Here's something that nobody has talked about, when Kratos and Atreus share the Lemnos wine, I found it to be a very solid piece of storytelling because it's literally the only time in the game that "no bullshit" Kratos embraces artifice. The wine has turned and he knows it's bad, but he still makes that exaggerated "aaaah!" of pleasure because, ultimately, Kratos chooses to embrace his heritage even though it's been spoiled and encourages his son to do the same. Great character moment in addition to being cool symbolism.

I didn’t pick up on that so I’m glad you mentioned it. The scene was excellent. The light comfortable moments in between everything really nailed a certain mood and helped emphasize the insane stuff going on around everyone.

When Kratos was heading back to home for the blades they did an incredible job with the atmosphere. Kratos is down but nowhere near defeated. The world is suddenly full of storms and chaos but he’s still and ready. That never could have happened with the old Kratos. He was always the storm. I think the scene gave weight to the fact that in Kratos’ current position in life requires him to be the eye of the storm. Calm, collected, able to keep the easy reactive emotions at bay while he takes everything in. It’s clearly not easy for him and has taken years of practice and refocusing.

That’s one of the scenes I can’t wait to go through again on a replay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's just really, really good. And honestly I think part of that is luck. All kinds of things could have gone wrong, any one of a number of designers could have made this or that decision that brings the game down, but no, everybody just nailed it, and it's pretty cool and God

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I read that scene as kind of a metacommentary on the series as a whole. "Sure I did some regrettable things, but NGL it wasssss pretty awesome when I gouged the eyes out of the Colossus of Rhodes I mean did you even SEE those graphics boy don't pretend you didn't think that was cool."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching Kratos care about someone was fascinating, and the truth is as someone who really regrets the way he treated people as a teen and a 20-something scumbag, the game really hit a powerful note for me as Kratos was constantly affronted by who he was and that really sold big chunks of the story to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope this game causes many former 20somethings to ask themselves "Is Skipknot actually terrible?"

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

precision posted:

I hope this game causes many former 20somethings to ask themselves "Is Skipknot actually terrible?"

No redemption possible for people who need to re-examine that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Iowa is still good fite me

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Beat it, enjoyed it, will go back and finish the two optional places and Valks later. It wasnt perfect but I haven't played a game like it in a very long time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Beat it finally. I'd rate it as one of the best games I've played. If Netflix gets behind Jason Momoa playing Kratos and Sony gets on board, it's going to be loving amazing.

GoW 5 needs to come out NOW. I didn't kill any Valks and only did a few side missions, mostly because Battletech came out, and Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming out next week. I just don't have time to invest in excess stuff anymore. But, wow, that was a fantastic storyline, and BOY was pretty drat incredible when he got upgraded. So much fun!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I finally got into Niflheim and really like it. By got into it I mean spent two hours maybe more just grinding the first area. Got all the armor + talisman. Grinding can be fun.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Iowa is still good fite me

I was a huge fan back in the day and I tried to relisten all the older stuff... I was cringing so bad I had to stop.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Philthy posted:

Beat it finally. I'd rate it as one of the best games I've played. If Netflix gets behind Jason Momoa playing Kratos and Sony gets on board, it's going to be loving amazing.

wait what

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

JBP posted:

What's MOGR
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C7%ABgr

Sadly, special letters don't work in thread titles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New thread title should be “and we’ll pick this up later”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So about the ending: Kratos is stuck in another revenge plot against a Pantheon of Gods, only now it's Feyes, isn't he? She set him up right from the word go to get back at Odin and his crew for what they did to her and the rest of the Giants.