Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mutantIke posted:

Just read Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. TF were comic artists smoking in the mid 2000s that they thought that faux-manga Wikihow art style looks cool

:getout:

The Mckeever/Miyazawa run was a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Just read Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. TF were comic artists smoking in the mid 2000s that they thought that faux-manga Wikihow art style looks cool

What the hell? The art looks great. It's aiming for lighthearted romance stuff and it nails it pretty hard.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
When Gwenpool was trying to get powers in Gwenpool Strikes Back, she brought up Reign to Spidey. He was confused.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Yvonmukluk posted:

:getout:

The Mckeever/Miyazawa run was a treasure.

I loved it from a narrative perspective but look me in the eyes and tell me these faces don't look like screen caps from a Wikihow article called "How To Act Cool In The Lunchroom". I liked the art from #16 onward but jeez

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK so Ultimate Moon Knight can turn people into teleporting cyborg zombies? That's not a regular Moon Knight thing, right? And it turns out the big glowing green thing is the opposite of Vibranium, because it makes plants grow and Vibranium doesn't. And making plants grow is bad, it's also the opposite of Vibranium because it is evil and Vibranium is good? I thought Vibranium was neutral, it was just stuff, but apparently it's inherently good? Is that a thing outside of this comic?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mutantIke posted:

I loved it from a narrative perspective but look me in the eyes and tell me these faces don't look like screen caps from a Wikihow article called "How To Act Cool In The Lunchroom". I liked the art from #16 onward but jeez

That's not Miyazawa, that was a fill in artist. They only do the first page in that issue.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gripweed posted:

OK so Ultimate Moon Knight can turn people into teleporting cyborg zombies? That's not a regular Moon Knight thing, right? And it turns out the big glowing green thing is the opposite of Vibranium, because it makes plants grow and Vibranium doesn't. And making plants grow is bad, it's also the opposite of Vibranium because it is evil and Vibranium is good? I thought Vibranium was neutral, it was just stuff, but apparently it's inherently good? Is that a thing outside of this comic?

It was a crappy explanation about unchecked uncontrollable growth which is basically cancer. Like if it wasn't a vibrant green and looked more like something from the Cancerverse from Thanos Imperative it would have made more sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jiro posted:

It was a crappy explanation about unchecked uncontrollable growth which is basically cancer. Like if it wasn't a vibrant green and looked more like something from the Cancerverse from Thanos Imperative it would have made more sense.

Oh ok that makes more sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The new Spider-Man writer is Joe Kelly

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/06/26/marvels-amazing-spider-man-joe-kelly/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite going by the name moon knight for some reason, this is two gods walking the earth like thor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

More of the Brand New Day brain trust again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite going by the name moon knight for some reason, this is two gods walking the earth like thor.

I don't know poo poo about Moon Knight, is there a reason he's two guys collectively called Moon Knight? Does that make sense if you're a Moon Knight fan?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the loose sense he was always more than "one guy" when it comes to his different personas and personalities.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

New Moon Knight series in October and a surprise 0 issue was sent to some shops today but fully comes out next week.

God I loved that panel of him returning in today's Blood Hunt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I'd like to be optimistic, but I was optimistic about Wells and it didn't get me anywhere.

I'm starting to believe that there's some sort of editorial mandate forcing ASM to suck. The Peter & Miles team-up book is fun, Spider-Boy is fun, and I even thought today's Superior Spider-Man wrap-up was all right, but ASM is cursed.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

What is it, 2002?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Didn't Joe Kelly just write a pretty mediocre Spider-Man like two years ago, called non-stop or non-stopping, something like that. That's how memorable it was.

At least it's not Zeb Wells? But couldn't they get someone a bit more high profile?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 27, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I don't know poo poo about Moon Knight, is there a reason he's two guys collectively called Moon Knight? Does that make sense if you're a Moon Knight fan?

not really, no. moon knight is usually a sort of paladin created when the egyptian moon god khonsu resurrects a recently deceased warrior. no one knows why ultimate khonsu and his fellow god ra are cosplaying as khonsu's subordinate. ra's a sun god, no less. i guess it's just a good look?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sometimes different universes have different things in them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sometimes different universes have different things in them.

It's not like two different guys that everyone knows are two different guys being collectively referred to as one singular guy makes sense in this different universe.

It's the sort of thing you'd expect an explanation for in and of itself, besides the fact that it's also a deviation from mainline Moon Knight.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if they will acknowledge vampire Miles in Spectacular Spider-Men. It seems like he may be a vampire for a little bit after blood hunt.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Moon Knight Fist of Khonshu #0 being up for order with no warning while supplies last to retailers is scummy as gently caress.

Cute idea, but what a garbage implementation. Rather than try to get retailers to panic order a (hopefully) important new book for a popular series, they should have sent us free copies equal to our orders of Moon Knight #30, or failing that let us order it just like every other title in the normal course of events.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

Didn't Joe Kelly just write a pretty mediocre Spider-Man like two years ago, called non-stop or non-stopping, something like that. That's how memorable it was.

At least it's not Zeb Wells? But couldn't they get someone a bit more high profile?

He's also another BND alumni.

You'd think there'd be other writers ready to get their hands on Marvel's flagship title. I mean you had a rotating cast of writers for Beyond that all did pretty great work you'd think they could see if any of them were willing to try it out. Of course, last time from all the talent they had lined up they picked the BND guy.

I mean, McKay and Ziglar are busy, but I'd love to see more of Kelly Thompson or Patrick Gleason on ASM.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Moon Knight Fist of Khonshu #0 being up for order with no warning while supplies last to retailers is scummy as gently caress.

Cute idea, but what a garbage implementation. Rather than try to get retailers to panic order a (hopefully) important new book for a popular series, they should have sent us free copies equal to our orders of Moon Knight #30, or failing that let us order it just like every other title in the normal course of events.

Man, they’re really testing out the gimmicks on Vulpes books between this and the Red Band scheme.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

He's also another BND alumni.

You'd think there'd be other writers ready to get their hands on Marvel's flagship title. I mean you had a rotating cast of writers for Beyond that all did pretty great work you'd think they could see if any of them were willing to try it out. Of course, last time from all the talent they had lined up they picked the BND guy.

I mean, McKay and Ziglar are busy, but I'd love to see more of Kelly Thompson or Patrick Gleason on ASM.

Or Al Ewing. Although I wonder if others have pitched stuff and it gets shot down because of editorial mandate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Kelly is a pretty good writer. I'm not sure how much more high profile you can get with comics?

I would enjoy more Kelly Thompson but it seems like she's not doing anything at all with Marvel right now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Has a woman ever been the primary writer of ASM?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Look into your heart. You already know

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
ASM feels like editorial is constantly putting writers on the sacrificial pyre

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have been so many otherwise excellent writers that move to asm and produce consistently bad comics. i rather doubt it is the writers' fault. but who knows? maybe a bunch of people independently decided to write poorly instead of well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Joe Kelly is a pretty good writer. I'm not sure how much more high profile you can get with comics?

I would enjoy more Kelly Thompson but it seems like she's not doing anything at all with Marvel right now.

I mean I feel like you should probably be aiming a little higher than ‘pretty good’ for your flagship character. I liked Spider-man/Deadpool, but Kelly’s not grabbing my attention the way Hickman on USM, Momoko on UXM or North on FF does. Especially since the Wells run has proven so controversial, you’d think they’d want to win people over with a big name or up and comer.

I guess they might be going for meat and potatoes Spider-man stories to right the ship and win back audience goodwill but honestly it just feels weird that after Beyond allowed a lot of writers to show what they could do on ASM you wouldn’t think to go back to them first.

I guess I want a bit more ambition. Say what you will about the Spencer run, he did take big swings after taking over from Slott, even if ultimately they didn’t all land. Going back to the BND well feels like ASM is just going to keep shuffling along on inertia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Look into your heart. You already know

How could a woman possibly understand the horrifying nexus of misery that is Peter Parker's life? :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Kelly is a big name. Like holy poo poo, how can you not think he's a big name?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Joe Kelly is a big name. Like holy poo poo, how can you not think he's a big name?

Being someone who only has read books from the last decade.

I like Kelly, and I'm fact enjoyed his Non-stop Spider-Man, but Hickman he isn't.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Joe Kelly has not been a big name since 2010 at the latest, and honestly I’d say his best days were at the end of the 1990s. And even then he was, like, a solid B-team guy imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't keep him and Joe Casey separate

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Joe Kelly has not been a big name since 2010 at the latest, and honestly I’d say his best days were at the end of the 1990s. And even then he was, like, a solid B-team guy imo

Yeah, Kelly is known mostly for Deadpool and that issue of Superman where he fights Not!TheAuthority. He's done a lot more, of course, but I can't think of any real high-profile runs or at least runs that still feel high profile now.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Gerry Duggan just finished good runs of Iron Man and Xmen. That's the kind of guy who should be moving to Spiderman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

howe_sam posted:

Trivia: I was rereading a bunch of old comics a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure this is the only issue of Spider-Man to date that was written, penciled, inked, and lettered by women.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazing_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dawgstar posted:

and that issue of Superman where he fights Not!TheAuthority.

Ohhhhh, that dogshit was him? Yeah, not expecting much from his Spidey run then.