Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Two dueling perspectives on the game- I wonder which the community will get behind?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9zsv6s/this_game_is_revolutionary/?st=jovrj7iv&sh=3c6b0b4c

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a00c2t/if_the_point_of_free_fly_was_to_impress/?st=jovrjw85&sh=89d62dd0

As always, the biggest threat to the completion of this game is the community. Chris doesn't play it, and I'm pretty sure he's only looking at "Superfan" feedback by now. Keep on saying it's finished and great and a real MMO, guys! Keep on driving out anyone who points out that it's completely broken! See what he does when he feels like you guys are happy with it! I'm sure it will surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

The whole you need to get into bed before you log out thing is terribly thought out.

A game crash, a network disconnect, the need to quit immediately... all of them result in you losing your ship.

Bad enough when you are on a free fly week so can just respawn a new one (and wait for it to arrive... zzzzz) but just imagine losing a kitted out Idris because you have to quit immediately and can't take the time to get to the wankpod, or hell, your router or ISP goes tits up.

Getting into bed before you log out... also results in you losing your ship.

It is another system that does not work as advertised

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah, and the next time a citizen says SC doesn't have loading screens and its all seamless, after experiencing QT today, i'll just laugh at them. I don't know (or care if its loading something or not, but from a player point of view, its exactly like jumping between systems in ED. You can't do anything except wait. The main difference being, it takes 30 seconds in ED to get from one system to another. In SC it took me 10 mins i think to get from Port O to Hurston, not even out of the system. At least in ED when you do supercruise you can check the other ships around you or keep an eye open for signal sources to drop into, or hell, just change destination on the fly.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Getting into bed before you log out... also results in you losing your ship.

It is another system that does not work as advertised

Well... that sucks.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

This game is revolutionary

There's ships, guys. Lots of ships. Coming and going. I'm seeing them explode out into the upper atmosphere and then they're gone. This is all in real time and that's the thing.

It's dynamic and I'm just a tiny part of this. I could stay here all night just observing. The electro score music is perfect.

I've never played a game like this before.

And it's just started.

They're actually trying to do what they promised.

Amazing.

:laugh:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

This seems like a legitimate mental illness. Like he completely identifies 100% with what the refunds sub is saying, but he's got an "Enemies" pile somewhere, and he put refundians into it at some point, and he doesn't know how to take them back out. I'm really sad for him.

Not mental illness, this is normal cognitive dissonance. It just looks worse because its internet words from someone who doesn't know how to argue a point on top of the CD. He's been goaded enough he doesn't care any more, he's just going to lump people into the enemies pile regardless of logic.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, and the next time a citizen says SC doesn't have loading screens and its all seamless, after experiencing QT today, i'll just laugh at them. I don't know (or care if its loading something or not, but from a player point of view, its exactly like jumping between systems in ED. You can't do anything except wait. The main difference being, it takes 30 seconds in ED to get from one system to another. In SC it took me 10 mins i think to get from Port O to Hurston, not even out of the system. At least in ED when you do supercruise you can check the other ships around you or keep an eye open for signal sources to drop into, or hell, just change destination on the fly.

For me the QT took "only" a few minutes. I wonder if it's partially dependant on some system component (SSD speeds or something) :thunk:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Bofast posted:

For me the QT took "only" a few minutes. I wonder if it's partially dependant on some system component (SSD speeds or something) :thunk:

What were you flying? More expensive ships get there faster.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bofast posted:

It is dependent on how expensive your ship is. Not kidding.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://giant.gfycat.com/ClearFormalCatbird.webm

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay so I rented all the Anvil ships that I gave a poo poo about, flew back to Port O, and then cruised each one around. Here for your reading pleasure:

SARSAPARILLER'S SASSY SHIP SPERGING
A brief review of autism chariots

... This thing costs more than your car payment. I despair for the future of gaming.
This was so good. Thank you. :911:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Thank you, Sarsapariller. Star Citzen is blood.

Why are so many of the NPCs black? Yet everybody in SQ42 is white. :thunkher:

We all know the answer.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

SARSAPARILLER'S SASSY SHIP SPERGING
A brief review of autism chariots

A discerning citizen prepares to enter the expo.

This gentleman was so excited, he got in line 4 times!

Day Two- Roberts Space Industries

Named for the breakout 2000's movie star Robert Pattinson, still beloved 1000 years later for his role as a creepy immortal pedophile, RSI's ships will carry you through the Twilight to the Breaking Dawn. RSI seems to be the manufacturer that just gets random poo poo with no particular aesthetic dropped into it- much like the CEO himself! Unlike the other manufacturers, RSI's lineup is still composed primarily of unimplemented jpegs, so I will actually be reviewing constellation variants today just to pad this out a bit. Once again, in price order:

RSI Aurora
Cost: $25
Guns: 2 and some missiles
Can It Do Anything But Fight: Surprisingly, yes
Speed: Moderate
Reviewer's thoughts: This is probably going to be my most positive review in the whole series. First up, the negative- this ship is ugly as sin. It looks like someone took a radioisotope thermoelectric generator and stuck a cockpit on it. It looks like an overpriced kitchen gadget. It looks like someone said "How many wings is too many? Let's find out." For all that, this is a very effective ship! It has great visibility, it is moderately fast, it can carry a small load of trade cargo, you can put a box inside the cockpit area for courier missions- it even has a bed, if they ever bother to fix the log-out functionality. It has a couple token size-1 guns on it, but this thing is essentially tissue paper so fighting with it will get you killed. And, as compared to every other ship in the game, it is cheap as poo poo. You could fly 10 of these for the price of one Constellation, if you found 10 people willing to put up with the game long enough to load them all. At one point this was the chariot of choice for ram-griefing, but that particular pastime has been nerfed to the point that it doesn't seem to work at all anymore. If you have to give money to Chris Roberts, and I really heartily recommend not doing so, this is probably the ship to get. There are like 5 variants of this thing but they are all exactly the same with slight loadout changes, and loadouts don't matter in Star Citizen, so gently caress you if you think I'm wasting half an hour taking pictures of all of them.

RSI Ursa
Cost: $50
Guns: 2 in a little auto turret
Can It Do Anything But Fight: It can't even fight
Speed: Ground based
Reviewer's thoughts: All of the vehicles in this game seem like art assets in search of a mechanic. Of the three I've tried- Tumbril, Dragonfly, and Ursa- the Ursa seems like the best. It can carry a bunch of people or a box, it has a little gun turret, it does not immediately explode on impact with rocks. But... there's nothing in the game that requires ground vehicles. There are no missions requiring ground combat. There are no deliveries where you'd need to get out of your ship in a rover and haul a box anywhere. There's nothing to discover while exploring. Even mining is done via a ship. So what use is it? I'll tell you- it's extremely good for cramming into your gaping, aching cargo hold. The ultimate measure of any ship in Star Citizen is how many Ursas and Merlins you can wedge in there. I mean it's still going to jitter around and clip through poo poo and probably explode, but... it's not like you have a choice, if you want to put stuff in your holes.

Picture not found
RSI Constellation Taurus
Cost: $150
Guns: No idea
Can It Do Anything But Fight: It doesn't exist
Speed: Sluggish
Reviewer's thoughts: This one is weird. It is the only variant I know of that costs less than the original ship. It is a stripped down Constellation for significantly cheaper, that I guess is supposed to be more trade oriented? It's so unpopular that I'm not even sure it exists in the game. It certainly didn't exist on the showroom floor, so I don't have a picture of it. Oh well. Buy this if you want a ship that does what the Constellation does, only worse in every single aspect, but I guess you can cram more trade goods into it, but trade doesn't work and bulk trading is completely broken. The frogurt is also cursed.

RSI Constellation Andromeda
Cost: $225
Guns: 4 gimbal, 2x2 manned turrets, 50+ missiles
Can It Do Anything But Fight: Yes
Reviewer's thoughts: This was my baby, when the game was first announced. It was billed as the Millenium Falcon of Star Citizen and was basically sold as the "top of the line" back when the "line" was like, 7 ships. It could carry a crew of 4 or 5, it could do cargo, it had a shitload of guns, it had lots of missiles, it had a little detachable fighter in the back. Of course, since then CIG has spent the last 6 years selling ship after ship, something like 100+ ships now, and obviously one of the earliest and cheapest of the big ships could not be allowed a dominant position in the pile. This ship has seen more nerfs and been outclassed by more ships that do exactly what it does, but better in every sense, than any other ship in the game. On top of that, the manned turrets turned out to be giant shitpiles that nobody wants to use, and they never even bothered to get the detachable fighter working. Today this ship is a two hundred dollar joke. It has four giant guns that can't hit anything because it turns like a shopping cart full of bricks. It has paper-thin shields and will die to any fighter in the game in a few shots. It still has 50 missiles, and you can fire all 50 and not do a single point of damage. There are ships that are literally just this ship but functional, and they all cost 300 or more dollars. This ship is the epitome of Star Citizen in my opinion- originally sold for a crazy amount, it was released as complete garbage, never updated or made effective, and has been completely overshadowed by stuff that costs twice as much in a game that just doesn't give a poo poo about your old money.

RSI Constellation Aquila
Cost: $310
Guns: 4 gimbal, 1x2 manned turrets, 50+ missiles
Reviewer's thoughts: CIG was experimenting with variants when they made these, and didn't know what people would or wouldn't pay money for. They thought "Same ship with different loadouts" was a good model, so... it's the Constellation! Again! But for 100 dollars more, and they took one of the turrets out for a "Radar" that doesn't work, and also you get a rover I think if you buy this one, but the rover doesn't work in the cargo hold of the Constellation, and is only 50 bucks on its own, so why wouldn't you buy the regular ship and then the rover separately and save yourself 40 bucks? Because you're a loving idiot, that's why. This ship comes with a slightly different, rounded cockpit. Also it has a blue and orange paint job. It is effectively just the Constellation and it sucks just as bad, but for more money.

RSI Constellation Phoenix
Cost: $350
Guns: 4 gimbal, 1x2 manned turrets, missiles
Reviewer's thoughts: The Phoenix was originally sold as an up-gunned Constellation for like, armored personnel transport and VIP limo duties, in a game where there aren't any VIP's or personnel to transport. But it was still an interesting concept, and the thought of "Constellation but more dakka" was appealing at the time because the Constellation hadn't been poo poo on from a great height at that point. Of course, years later the ship actually came out, and... well, look at the picture. It's a flying bar and lounge. None of the extra equipment ever materialized, and this thing is essentially worthless except as a way to flash your cash wad. You cannot transport VIP's, it fights as poorly as a regular Constellation, and costs 125 dollars more. Not because of any mechanics- because it is "Luxury." Chris literally prices poo poo in-game based on aesthetic priorities, regardless of mechanics, because he is completely detached from the concept of value. It is particularly galling how much time has clearly been put into poo poo like whiskey tumblers and the animated hot tub in this ship, when basic mechanics are completely broken and the game barely functions. It is extremely revealing of CIG's priorities- they are a used luxury car dealership first and foremost, and they have gradually self-selected an audience that thinks used luxury cars belong in spaceship game. Everyone who still owns one of these is an unbearable twat and I consider these and all other luxury vessels in the game kill-on-sight.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

A discerning citizen prepares to enter the expo.

Named for the breakout 2000's movie star Robert Pattinson, still beloved 1000 years later for his role as a creepy immortal pedophile,

The pedophile is the werewolf! Go team Edward!

Thanks for the pain you have to endure to do those posts.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Neltharak posted:

i found it

i found the only gameplay bit of star citizen that looked satisfying to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J60j11_UVMQ

completely unintended, of course, but that made me feel good inside

That's actually a very neat bit of "organic/emergent gameplay", and was definitely helped by the two fellas having friendly laidback personalities.

Shame that the former loses its luster if its something you set out to attempt to do on purpose, and that the latter seems rare among the current devoted fanbase.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

What were you flying? More expensive ships get there faster.

Just the cutlass black or whatever free fly accounts get.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bofast posted:

Just the cutlass black or whatever free fly accounts get.

Sarsapariller posted:

RSI Aurora
Cost: $25
Guns: 2 and some missiles
Can It Do Anything But Fight: Surprisingly, yes
Speed: Moderate
Reviewer's thoughts: This is probably going to be my most positive review in the whole series. First up, the negative- this ship is ugly as sin. It looks like someone took a radioisotope thermoelectric generator and stuck a cockpit on it. It looks like an overpriced kitchen gadget. It looks like someone said "How many wings is too many? Let's find out." For all that, this is a very effective ship! It has great visibility, it is moderately fast, it can carry a small load of trade cargo, you can put a box inside the cockpit area for courier missions- it even has a bed, if they ever bother to fix the log-out functionality. It has a couple token size-1 guns on it, but this thing is essentially tissue paper so fighting with it will get you killed. And, as compared to every other ship in the game, it is cheap as poo poo. You could fly 10 of these for the price of one Constellation, if you found 10 people willing to put up with the game long enough to load them all. At one point this was the chariot of choice for ram-griefing, but that particular pastime has been nerfed to the point that it doesn't seem to work at all anymore. If you have to give money to Chris Roberts, and I really heartily recommend not doing so, this is probably the ship to get. There are like 5 variants of this thing but they are all exactly the same with slight loadout changes, and loadouts don't matter in Star Citizen, so gently caress you if you think I'm wasting half an hour taking pictures of all of them.

I gotta say, the Aurora sucks rear end to fly (joke's on me, they all suck poo poo to fly) but the only thing that kinda makes me regret switching from the Aurora to the Mustang is the inability to put a box in it. The mustang has a far superior cockpit, and both ships are made out of tissue paper, but not being able to carry a box into my ship locks me out of like 90% of the "missions" in game lol

As "all-rounder" ships, both of the starters are absolute garbage and as best as I can understand it, the $50 Avenger is the closest thing to a "lets you play ever aspect of the game" ship :smithicide:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cultist engagement going about as well as it ever does: downvotes piling up, "Nuh-uh" comments coming in.

Show me a video of you completing one mission, commando. Just one.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I gotta say, the Aurora sucks rear end to fly (joke's on me, they all suck poo poo to fly) but the only thing that kinda makes me regret switching from the Aurora to the Mustang is the inability to put a box in it. The mustang has a far superior cockpit, and both ships are made out of tissue paper, but not being able to carry a box into my ship locks me out of like 90% of the "missions" in game lol

The prevalence of box delivery missions basically means that any ship without internal space is worthless in-game. Ironically, this means like 90% of the combat ships cannot be used. The Avenger, 300, Cutlass and Freelancer are the only good day to day ships in my opinion, because they can shoot decently and still carry poo poo around. If you could actually earn them in game, I'd feel like they were worth working towards.

Beet Wagon posted:

As "all-rounder" ships, both of the starters are absolute garbage and as best as I can understand it, the $50 Avenger is the closest thing to a "lets you play ever aspect of the game" ship :smithicide:

None of their ship hierarchies or tiers make any sense. The whole game is structured as though combat, trade, and maybe fleet ops were major pillars of the game so you have these tiers of ships with like radars, or tons of turrets, and none of that poo poo is useful in the slightest. It is absolutely maddening, why does this stuff exist? The whole game is courier missions and they're mostly broken.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

The prevalence of box delivery missions basically means that any ship without internal space is worthless in-game. Ironically, this means like 90% of the combat ships cannot be used. The Avenger, 300, Cutlass and Freelancer are the only good day to day ships in my opinion, because they can shoot decently and still carry poo poo around. If you could actually earn them in game, I'd feel like they were worth working towards.

None of their ship hierarchies or tiers make any sense. The whole game is structured as though combat, trade, and maybe fleet ops were major pillars of the game so you have these tiers of ships with like radars, or tons of turrets, and none of that poo poo is useful in the slightest. It is absolutely maddening, why does this stuff exist? The whole game is courier missions and they're mostly broken.

Can you even get a box in the 300 series? Last time I looked the ladder animation made you drop them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Good news, everyone: The upcoming ship sale that was [REDACTED] is not in fact one of the many ships they had previously promised finally becoming flyable.

It's a whole new thing:

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Is happy hardcore still a relevant topic?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quoting from the past to say this spore sequel is looking pretty good

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Can you even get a box in the 300 series? Last time I looked the ladder animation made you drop them.

poo poo, I forgot about that. I haven't tried a 300 in years, so I'm sure that is still the case. This loving game, man. The ladder issue is probably why all the new "General Purpose" ships seem to come with ramp access.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Good news, everyone: The upcoming ship sale that was [REDACTED] is not in fact one of the many ships they had previously promised finally becoming flyable.

It's a whole new thing:

Looks like they're going to milk the Idris-P owners by allowing them to upgrade to the SUPER DUPER LIMITED WE WILL ONLY EVER SELL 100 Idris-M.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that. I haven't tried a 300 in years, so I'm sure that is still the case. This loving game, man. The ladder issue is probably why all the new "General Purpose" ships seem to come with ramp access.

So, looking at their upgrade page, if I want to be able to make lovely youtube videos about the thrilling "pick up a box and put it in your ship" gameplay that makes up 90% of what Star Citizen is, the cheapest ship with a ramp is the Avenger, which is another $20 over the piece of poo poo I have now.

What an incredible game. Thank you, Chris Roberts, for saving PC gaming, you fuckin rear end in a top hat

e:

Sarsapariller posted:

Looks like they're going to milk the Idris-P owners by allowing them to upgrade to the SUPER DUPER LIMITED WE WILL ONLY EVER SELL 100 Idris-M.

lol of fuckin course they are

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Gotta pull in more cash somehow.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

So elevators kill people, ramps kill cars, and ladders kill everything?

That's almost a paper-scissor-stone dynamic they've got going there.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I worry that some of you (no names) that are treating SC like an actual game are just a flashy tech demo away from buying back in :ohdear:

Troll responsibly, commandos

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So semi-serious question here. We're going through the death throes of once-relevant old-school game developers at the moment. Richard Garriott has demolished his legacy entirely. Chris Roberts turns out was always full of poo poo, even at his peak. The only old-school developer I can think of who left with dignity intact is Roberta Williams.

Once Star Citizen goes away, if there is a benevolent god nobody will ever hear of or from Chris Roberts ever again. If that glorious future comes to pass, which other moldy old dev hoping for one last prance in the limelight is poised to gently caress things up for a while? Is John Romero still a thing? Is he dormant, just waiting for his opening?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Variable 5 posted:

I worry that some of you (no names) that are treating SC like an actual game are just a flashy tech demo away from buying back in :ohdear:

Here's the bare minimum it would take to get any money out of me, beyond what I have on my account:

* Working missions
* In-game progression (i.e. ships that can be earned in days not months)
* Fixed combat mechanics
* Fixed grouping mechanics

--

Any other game, that would seem like a list of inevitable stuff that they will eventually get around to. In Star Citizen that is basically a guarantee that I will never spend another dime on it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Variable 5 posted:

If you mean me, I mean I won't lie, I've absolutely considered throwing them a couple bucks to get a ship that doesn't completely suck, but that's mostly a byproduct of the fact that I'm making youtube videos again.

Star Citizen is not a game - or at least, it's not a game I ever have any intention of actually playing - but it has come far enough along that I've circled back to kind of enjoying making videos that highlight what a huge piece of poo poo it is, and that's actually paradoxically hard to do with a starter ship.

Of course, giving them more money to better facilitate my ability to make lovely youtube videos about how bad they suck is the video games equivalent of those boomers who packed their $200 YETI coolers with tannerite and blew them up to "own the libs" which is why I haven't done it.

e: let me clarify what I mean by "it has come far enough along" before some dweeb goes "omg beet knows cig is working on it but still says not to buy it!!!!!1"

Star Citizen has added enough new gamebreaking content and bugs to be interesting again. Gone are the dark days where they literally turned off everything that didn't work, forcing :pgabz: to lose his mind.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 24, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Citizen Reports:

FREE FLY WEEK UNPLAYABLE

quote:

Steps to reproduce

1. Log in to Live
2. attempt to do anything meaningful
3. Elevator takes a lifetime to open
4. ship takes a lifetime to spawn
5. atmossphere takes a lifetime to exit
6. mobiglass gets stuck in loops of 2 to 5
7. unable to set route using previous method of clearing route, exiting seat....etc
8. cannot open QT
9. once qt opens cannot engage jump
10. cannot close qt
11. stuck in endless repetition steps 6 through 10
12. lose cargo due to no fuel from ionability to use QT
13. Rinse and repeat

Actual result
Actual result is lag lag lag lag laggy laggity lag

Expected result
TO ESCAPE REAL WORLD FRUSTRATIONS...NOT ADD TO THEM

Workaround
QUIT GAME TILL FREE FLY WEAK IS OVER

CAN NOT SUMMON A SHIP AT LORVILLE SINCE FREE FLIGHT STARTED

quote:

Actual result

Unable to summon any type of ship (I own near 30 ships and none work) at Lorville.

LOREVILLE CABINS

quote:

I paid for your alpha 55$. I don't expect game will be perfect but i expect that in LIVE version gameplay will be stabile. Now i can't get out of loving bedroom cabin part of city because there is no elevator. Today there is anvill expo and i was going to try some ships but only way to do this is to leave living quarters. God dammit. I will lose only chance to try those ships. If i won't be able to do this till sunday i WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 24, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Store Citizer: QUIT GAME TILL FREE FLY WEAK IS OVER

or maybe just

Store Citizer: Free Fly Weak

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So, apparently they've now made it a "thing" that we can develop ships in secret and release them "as flyable" as a surprise. First it was the Aliens Dropship, and now "Straight-angles, the ship".
Why aren't more people bitching about this Jesus?
-Ships that aren't on the roadmap are getting developed instead of your precious Carrack or Banu Merchantmans, .... or the Idris. And ESPECIALLY the Aliens ripoff dropship, they already have TWO OF THOSE loving THINGS TO DO. One is the Vanguard variant, and the other one is the one the backers themselves modeled and is sitting in some 3d modeler's hardrive.....
-Which means the roadmap is bullshit, at least as far as the ship-side is concerned.
-Which means bye-bye open development.

How are people not mad about this Jesus?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sample_text posted:

So, apparently they've now made it a "thing" that we can develop ships in secret and release them "as flyable" as a surprise. First it was the Aliens Dropship, and now "Straight-angles, the ship".
Why aren't more people bitching about this Jesus?
-Ships that aren't on the roadmap are getting developed instead of your precious Carrack or Banu Merchantmans, .... or the Idris. And ESPECIALLY the Aliens ripoff dropship, they already have TWO OF THOSE loving THINGS TO DO. One is the Vanguard variant, and the other one is the one the backers themselves modeled and is sitting in some 3d modeler's hardrive.....
-Which means the roadmap is bullshit, at least as far as the ship-side is concerned.
-Which means bye-bye open development.

How are people not mad about this Jesus?

There's a full divergence between their "open development" (what they talk about and say they're doing) and what's actually happening at their studios. The two have never overlapped, and either nobody notices, or nobody cares.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Has anyone posted this yet?

:allears:

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Scruffpuff posted:

So semi-serious question here. We're going through the death throes of once-relevant old-school game developers at the moment. Richard Garriott has demolished his legacy entirely. Chris Roberts turns out was always full of poo poo, even at his peak. The only old-school developer I can think of who left with dignity intact is Roberta Williams.

Once Star Citizen goes away, if there is a benevolent god nobody will ever hear of or from Chris Roberts ever again. If that glorious future comes to pass, which other moldy old dev hoping for one last prance in the limelight is poised to gently caress things up for a while? Is John Romero still a thing? Is he dormant, just waiting for his opening?

Romero pulled a DOA Kickstarter a few years back for a new FPS he was designing. He said he was working on game footage and that a new fundraiser would get going once it was ready. No word since, as far as I know. He also moved to Galway for some reason (tax breaks, probably).

Roberta does the occasional interview, but I think is pretty happily settled into retirement.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

Has anyone posted this yet?

:allears:

Yes you archered a post.

God I love this this fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

story was great, characters were great, game world is great

gameplay is meh, punctuated with long as travel times and some severe bugs that can cost you a whole lot because "realism"

its worth playing

Take some of the first real cash you get and unlock dutch’s tent, then arthur’s. Boom, fast travel unlocked.

But considering the optimal method of scoring the smaller pelts is just riding around until you flush out the prey and checking it’s quality, then jumping off and hunting, it’s actually worth the travel time. The number of random and stranger encounters is way above GTAV.

Power armor sometimes disappears. Sometimes it disappears while still being flagged, so you end up in a weird state with huge hands. There’s one guy who can’t die at the moment, and almost everyone else is exploiting to gently caress and back.

Bethesda really raised their own dick shooting bar to new heights.

Sarsapariller posted:

It is dependent on how expensive your ship is. Not kidding.

The aristocrats!

(Everything is a drat punchline with this game)