Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

On another note, anyone have any opinions on for what Zelda game we should try to get the file name Sam for, assuming we're going all in on one game?

(and, uh, anyone want to write a quick recap of the whole Samantha situation I can include as an explanation, as I haven't had the time to keep up with forums either here or on SDA enough lately to have the full picture)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Who's the guy running Metroid Prime this year? I always remember it being Miles but now it's someone named JustinDM, can't seem to find a ton of info on them either. I dug up his youtube channel but that's about it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dizz posted:

In our defense, it was also being enforced when there wasn't any speedruns going on.

if you have a beard, please don't stare into the camera while slowly stroking it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Looper posted:

if you have a beard, please don't stare into the camera while slowly stroking it

Or sit in front of it with a tablet necklace with a slideshow of OH SO HILARIOUS memes on it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

KennyMan666 posted:

On another note, anyone have any opinions on for what Zelda game we should try to get the file name Sam for, assuming we're going all in on one game?

(and, uh, anyone want to write a quick recap of the whole Samantha situation I can include as an explanation, as I haven't had the time to keep up with forums either here or on SDA enough lately to have the full picture)

Her mom is a big fan of Link Between Worlds and Samantha was pretty excited to see that one because of it.

Incoming infodump of non-speedrunning things:

March 18th of last year she was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma, grade 3 brain cancer. It was caught because it was restricting the spinal fluid ventricle in her brain, making movement on the right side of her body difficult. She stopped being right handed, then headaches started, she slept a ton, and her right eye stopped dilating. Through all that she maintained that everything was fine - she became left handed because it was the cool thing to do. Even in the hospital we'd play New Super Mario Bros with her on D-pad and me jumping.

After a 17 hour brain surgery (20 hours including prep time) removed 60% of the tumor she was still unable to walk or move her right arm. 2 months of physical therapy got her walking again and able to move her arm, but she never regained the ability to open her right hand. Still, she's always been into art and that didn't stop her, she became just as good if not better with her left hand. She played a lot of Pokémon, and her left hand became pretty strong from simply holding her 3DS with only that. In November, after her course of radiotherapy was complete, it was deemed that the tumor was undetectable. The word remission isn't used with this type of cancer because it is so aggressive, but recurrence usually happens in two years and hopes were high. She got Wish of the Year from Make-A-Wish foundation, got to go to Cardiff for the Doctor Who Experience, and became their poster child on social media for her motto, "Never give up! Keep on smiling!"

It recurred in February. It was the size of a pea then. Still, you wouldn't be able to tell by interacting with her, outside of her limp when she walked and her right hand in a perpetual fist. She easily passed through school, even when she left three times a week for chemo/pentam/PT. An overexcited kid wasn't watching where he was going and ran into her in March, knocking her over and breaking her right arm in 5 places. She didn't mind, she didn't use it anyway.

In April she started complaining about not being able to play the games her three little siblings were playing, so I showed her Halfcoordinated's GDQ runs. It blew her mind, that something could be done so well with only one hand. After one of his interviews, when he was asked "what do you want to do next?" and his response was "I don't know, I just want to play games fast." she said "I DO TOO!" and immediately grabbed a wii classic controller, booted up DKC, and tried it. When she didn't do very well at that she switched to Link to the Past, and her little siblings hated that she was better at that than they were. I was just happy she was enjoying games again.

In June she went to Reason Rally in DC. She got to sit in Obama's chair in the Oval Office and Situation Room, and got to stand at the Press Briefing Podium. She went to New York and got her picture taken with Ivanka Trump. She's quite the bipartisan girl for being 12. But it was then that she started showing symptoms again. Her short-term memory started fading, she asked for her meds a few minutes after taking them, and she started repeating things she had just said.

Right after she got back she had an MRI that showed that the tumor had spread to the spinal fluid ventricle on the opposite side of her brain and into her prefrontal cortex. It was recommended that chemo be stopped and hospice called in to prepare for the end. That was 3 weeks ago.

She hasn't had chemo since and has gone downhill quickly. Her conversations are fragmented at times. There are times when she responds with "Yes", "Thank you", or "I love you" to everything said to her. She gets tired very, very quickly. Her coordination has become nearly non-existent. Two days ago she became incontinent. Yesterday she couldn't sit upright on her own.

She is at Beaumont Clinic right now being evaluated for a trial in hyperfractionation, which essentially is microdosing radiation. She was maxed on traditional radiotherapy last year, but that is what had the most success in combating the tumor. She passes all the prerequisites; partial resection, full course of traditional radiotherapy, and chemo proven ineffective, but she's not over 18 so is disqualified from the trial. They are making a compassionate use case to give her the treatment without putting her in the trial itself. They may tell her to start on Monday. They may say that she's already too far gone. We're all pretty nervous.

Her three siblings all enjoy playing with her. Mostly Pokémon - I set up a system where I started them with the 3rd gen games and would graduate them to the next generation upon obtaining an arbitrary number of pokemon so they would have to trade with each other. Samantha had been ruling - the youngest is in Heart Gold, the other two are in Diamond/Pearl, Samantha is in X. My role has largely been to make sure the other three haven't been forgotten and liase with the hospital as I work at where she went for treatment. My stepfather put it best when he said that their other three kids have been sidelined and I'm the sideline coach.

I'm going to SGDQ because she asked me to, even three days ago. She still wants to talk to Half. She still wants to see what its like. But if the worst happens I'll be flying out of there faster than I can start ranting about Megaman.

I'm sure that is far more information than you wanted. That's actually the first time it's all been put in one place. Wow.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

That's a lot to weigh on anyone, though if anyone is tenacious enough to deal with it I think you qualify. Thanks for sharing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I was going to ask, too. Thanks for writing it all out. Hang in there. :smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oyster is a good person

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Crain posted:

Reading through the GDQ forums on SDA made it pretty clear that the powers that be are doing a good job keeping people in line and getting not insane/edgelord people to do runs.

Then how come CavemanDCJ is allowed to have a run?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Demicol posted:

Hey now, toomba was like 2 years ago. And honestly that was mostly chibi's fault anyway.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jesus man, you deserve far more than some hugs from the staff.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

:sympathy:

I can't think of a non-morbid way to ask this, but do you think she'll make it/be lucid enough to watch SGDQ? I'm definitely in to donate for Sam as the ALBW name..

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Demicol posted:

because he's a good runner who's good at commentating and plays weird games no one else does, probably

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Are there any good pre-event streams going on today or tomorrow?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

DraconicImpulse posted:

:sympathy:

I can't think of a non-morbid way to ask this, but do you think she'll make it/be lucid enough to watch SGDQ? I'm definitely in to donate for Sam as the ALBW name..

That's a completely valid question that I don't have an answer to. She goes in and out. 4 days ago she was doing her three phrase responses. 3 days ago she told me I better go because she wants to talk to Half, then proceeded to play Monkey Ball. If the time comes and she isn't capable then it won't happen, but she was adamant and she's got me wrapped around her little finger.

I'm leaving work now to pick up the other three from my mom's. Been procrastinating because I'm scared of the news today and at least work keeps me busy.

Crain posted:

Jesus man, you deserve far more than some hugs from the staff.

It'd be nice if my little brother could go so I don't have to make the drive alone, since I paid for all three registrations. I understand if that can't happen this close to the start though.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 2, 2016

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Tracula posted:

Who's the guy running Metroid Prime this year? I always remember it being Miles but now it's someone named JustinDM, can't seem to find a ton of info on them either. I dug up his youtube channel but that's about it.

He's a dude who can complete Metroid Prime in a short amount of time.

Seriously though, what is it that you want to know other than that? His twitch is here: https://www.twitch.tv/justindm_speedruns

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Crain posted:

Or sit in front of it with a tablet necklace with a slideshow of OH SO HILARIOUS memes on it.

That poor guy had impaired motor functions. I'm unsure if he was intelligently impaired, but he was just trying to please the crowd.

Nothing wrong with trying to entertain the chat whilst we're waiting on the next game.

E: if this is real.. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soqvsn

HOLY poo poo :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Dizz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 2, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FanaticalMilk posted:

Are there any good pre-event streams going on today or tomorrow?

There will be a sick pre evemt stream tonight on CBS.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dizz posted:

That poor guy had impaired motor functions. I'm unsure if he was intelligently impaired, but he was just trying to please the crowd.

Nothing wrong with trying to entertain the chat whilst we're waiting on the next game.

Oh. Well poo poo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

symbolic posted:

I'm inclined to disagree, since that would stifle the pre-event thread discussion of "Hey, I'm looking forward to these games", "Did you guys see who's running XX game?", "I'm kind of disappointed YY isn't running a game this year", etc. Just my two cents.
This.
Are they good sleepers I should watch out for? I remember a ton of people hyping up Tetris and I probably wouldn't have watched it without that hype.

Oyster: How old is Samantha? I didn't see it mentioned.
Totally down to donate to an incentive for her. Its amazing what you have done to help her cope with all of this, and even if things are turning south for her, its a very inspirational story to hear someone having such a positive outlook and high spirit in the face of such a tragedy.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dizz posted:

E: if this is real.. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soqvsn

HOLY poo poo :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Lmao, the hell even is this. Is this still fallout from that banjo kazooie runner who cheated on his brand new wife at the event years ago?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Crain posted:

Lmao, the hell even is this. Is this still fallout from that banjo kazooie runner who cheated on his brand new wife at the event years ago?

tl'dr he's kinda forgiven the people what caused it, says he misses streaming, and is thinking of streaming again soon.

He also says to leave Tolki alone.

Also, it's good to see that people are giving him tons of support.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

eSporks posted:

This.
Are they good sleepers I should watch out for? I remember a ton of people hyping up Tetris and I probably wouldn't have watched it without that hype.

Oyster: How old is Samantha? I didn't see it mentioned.
Totally down to donate to an incentive for her. Its amazing what you have done to help her cope with all of this, and even if things are turning south for her, its a very inspirational story to hear someone having such a positive outlook and high spirit in the face of such a tragedy.

Thursday at 2:15, Tetris Block. Unfortunately I'll be back at work at that time. Even without the story of Half offering his hand to Samantha I'm pretty psyched for Momodora. I finally took a look at it and it is a game of the style I like quite a lot.

Samantha was 2 months from 11 when she was diagnosed, and has been 12 for a month. Just got word that she has been accepted at Beaumont Clinic and will be starting hyperfractionation on Sunday. They aren't messing around. I'm very, very happy.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

I think this might be the only banner we have this time around, but it's pretty swank.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Has SGDQ always been from July 3-9? Weird that I never noticed that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

UraniumAnchor posted:

I think this might be the only banner we have this time around, but it's pretty swank.
I'm diggin' it.

Dizz posted:

Has SGDQ always been from July 3-9? Weird that I never noticed that.
Last year it was late in the summer; I think it extended into August. Don't know about the previous years.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My goal is to not put Eonwe on ignore this year.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There are some cool fuckin' runs this marathon. Catherine is the first thing I'm super looking forward to.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Fladervy was kinda surprised people were looking forward to his run enough to have Milla on the banner.

Also, considering that run was looking like it wasn't going to happen due to travel difficulties for a while, it's kinda lucky that it all panned out since ya'll stuck it on the banner and stuff.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Holy moley, I didn't even see that Pcull44444 was running two games. :vince:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I need to start making my list of things I want to catch live vs thing I want to see but have to catch in the vods.

Sadly most of the first two days I won't be able to catch live due to family events for the holidays.

So vod list so far is:
-opening
-SMSunshine
-Demon Souls
-Bastion
-Catherine
-New SMB1-2
-Ed Edd and Eddy
-Ape Escape

After that I can catch most things live other than really late or early runs. But man there are so many good games. Good to see Tetris back again. Same for TASBot as always. Obviously looking forward to the Mario Maker blind race. That was amazingly fun last event.

I'm gonna have content to watch for a long time.

(Also looking forward to awful games block, but I almost never get to catch that live)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Is there an Awful Block this event? It isn't marked on the schedule, unless I'm blind.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

symbolic posted:

Is there an Awful Block this event? It isn't marked on the schedule, unless I'm blind.

They call it silly at sgdq and its at the wee hours of the morning on the 4th

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

symbolic posted:

SeXReX posted:

Friday at 3am is another collection of really lmao games. Starting with Pause ahead and featuring a bunch of random 20min or less runs ending before Ninja Gaiden Shadow.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Watch Freedom Planet.

Seriously. It will be very good.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Crain posted:

this is the guy whose brand new wife cheated on him with banjo kazooie guy, and maybe some other runners.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

argondamn posted:

this is the guy whose brand new wife cheated on him with banjo kazooie guy, and maybe some other runners.

That is just the gift that keeps on giving.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SeXReX posted:

Ah, alrighty. Thank you.

Crain posted:

Friday at 3am is another collection of really lmao games. Starting with Pause ahead and featuring a bunch of random 20min or less runs ending before Ninja Gaiden Shadow.
Please tell me that's the NES Ghostbusters being played. I know it's most likely not, but I want to believe.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

symbolic posted:

Ah, alrighty. Thank you.

Please tell me that's the NES Ghostbusters being played. I know it's most likely not, but I want to believe.

I hope so too.

Does anyone still have a link to the list of accepted runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Remember when I complained about the lack of Sega Genesis games at AGDQ 2016?

I'm back to complain about the lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016.

There is a strange lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016 and I'm angry as heck about it!!!

• Locked thread