Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Oh hey, I already explained this last update and it pretty much explains itself here. Oh well!

Results were a strong Red -> Blue -> Yellow, probably because that was the first option. It's also the most roundabout way since Red and Yellow are much better to do together, but it does let me show off a lot more stuff so it's cool.

Normally, to get to the red-marked shrine, you'd have to climb towards the yellow-marked shrine and then travel southeast to reach the edge of the mountain range. However, there's always another way...

Several things can drop from trees when you cut them down. Korok Leaves are probably the most entertaining of the bunch.

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/005.mp4

Korok Leaves make for terrible weapons, but their gust effect can lead to a lot of fun interactions. And they have other uses as well, one of which we'll see later this update...

So, the shrine is up there.

Normally, such a climb would be near-impossible for Link without a lot of stamina-recovering food. However, this way has a lot of helpful outcroppings where Link can stop and recover his stamina.

Eventually, Link makes it to the top. I really appreciate that there's an alternate way up here besides traversing the snowy mountain range. It's a shortcut that rewards exploration rather than discourage it, something I really wish more games would learn to do.

Anyway, we're at our next shrine.

Shrines start off orange. When activated, the base turns blue and the top yellow, activating fast-travel to that shrine. When the shrine is completed, the entire shrine is blue. The map on the Sheikah Slate also distinguishes between unactivated, activated, and completed based on the color of the icon.

Music: Shrine Theme

The four shrines on the Great Plateau give you your main abilities for the entire game and are tutorials on how to use them, though they certainly don't teach you every trick for using them.

This shrine gives us Statis, one of the more fun ones to use.

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/016.mp4

Statis stops time for the chosen object, though it wears off over...time. Obvious puzzle applications, but there's a bit more to it...

Next puzzle. This ball respawns when it rolls off the map.

Statis, as you may expect, is the solution!

We don't have to go all the way up here, but free treasure.

This sledgehammer should give you a clue as to how to handle the final puzzle.

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/022.mp4

All those hits do nothing, obviously. Link's pretty athletic, but he's no powerhouse.

Obviously the answer lies with Statis, but how? Go back and reread the rune description, then if you still don't know, watch and see.

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/023.mp4

An object in stasis will store kinetic energy. That means hitting an object three times will apply all three hits at once as soon as it's out of stasis. More hits makes the object fly further.

Also, you can charge your attack to do a special move at the cost of stamina. This attack depends on the weapon type. The two-handed whirling around is probably the most useful of the bunch.

Anyway, that's all there is to the Statis Trial.

From now on, every shrine ends basically the same way. Dialogue only changes depending on whether the shrine is a trial, combat, or blessing (i.e. "You already did the puzzle to unlock the shrine, have a free Spirit Orb").

Then the monk dissolves and after a short loading screen you're back at the overworld.

Each shrine also has a thing around it to test your new power out.

To go more into stasis, once you have a red arrow, the energy is maxed out and hits won't make further impact. More importantly, the direction the object goes is based on the direction of the last hit. This is important for instances where direction matters.

Sadly, the boulder fades out of view before we can see it hit outside land. At least the chest nets us another Traveler's Bow.

That's a pretty big bridge.

Further on is cold weather and the path to the yellow shrine. But first we've gotta go blue!

Sadly, we can't just jump off quite yet, so we slowly descend.

Night hits, and we see a new insect.

Not this one though, this guy was always available. I just managed to sneak up on it as I try to get...

...this guy. The beetle is better though because attack boost is one of the best buffs in the game, for obvious reasons.

To the left side of the Temple of Time, you can descend to this area of ruined robots.

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/040.mp4

...and not-so-ruined robots. This guy is called a Decayed Guardian and basically acts as a souped-up Beamos. That laser freaking hurts, and right now our weaponry is way too weak to do much against it.

We could simply rush to the shrine or sneak around, but I've got a much more entertaining idea.

Behold!

http://h.mega64.net/botw/u05/042.mp4

Moving inside the barrel doesn't quite work, but it does block line-of-sight from the guardian. Isn't it wonderful when your weird plan works?

There's a chest here, but no ordinary chest.

This is the Switch version of the game, and because I love the game so much I went ahead and purchased the expansion pass, which nets this baby as well as a couple other chests (a Ruby and some Bomb Arrows).

I'm not going to wear it right now because bare Link.

Also, our next shrine.

So, our next trial introduces a new spin on a classic Zelda item.

Bombs are a rune in this game. This means bombs are unlimited (though you have to wait on a recharge time between bombs).

There are a few differences between bombs in this game and bombs in other Zelda games.

First off, bombs here are detonated remotely rather than on a timer. This gives you plenty of time to choose when to detonate.

Like, say, when you're away from the bomb.

This chest does give us a nice two-handed weapon though.

We get two bomb types: Round and Square. Square bombs don't roll as easily (though they'll still roll on a steep incline) so are better for more precise moments, like this moving platform.

http://i.mega64.net/botw/u05/057.mp4

Round types are better when the rolling would be beneficial, or in contraptions like this that only take the round type.

The puzzle here is obvious enough.

Of course we can get on one of these platforms as well and get propelled to a treasure chest.

And that's bombs!

http://i.mega64.net/botw/u05/065.mp4

Traditionally, bombs in this series are a somewhat-viable method of attack. They're decent early on, but their attack power does not scale and thus they're pretty poor for damage later in the game. They still have their uses, though!

Hmmm.

Goes as expected.

A blue Bokoblin is left, but...

...arrows and bombs take it out quickly enough.

Also got its weapon (and more fire arrows from a chest).

Further up is this spot.

Diving in nets us another Korok Seed.

On top of this area is an embedded Rusty Broadsword. Better if we went here earlier, of course.

A few bombable walls around the area. This holds an Opal.

And, of course, bomb fishing. These bombs float on water, and since they're from a magic rune, will still explode.

They also knock down trees!

I pick up some fire to light the pot.

...and get a little carried away.

Cooking just a single chili pepper gives us a nice 150-second resistance to cold.

A Summerwing Butterfly, a horn, and three fangs nets me a rather-lengthy elixir. Should be more than enough to get me through the cold!

All that playing with fire burns away my shield. Wooden items can catch on fire and burn away, so be careful! Of course, wooden weapons on fire will do more damage.

Anyway, we're at the entrance of the cold mountain range.

There's several ways across this lake. If we go further down, we'll see the bridge we saw in the second update. Except we can now use Magnesis on a slab of metal to finish the bridge and cross that way.

Alternatively, we can climb the mountain range to the left and work our way up that way, near where the Statis Shrine is.

I'm not taking either of those ways, though.

First, I'm going to need to use something other than the torch, so time to feast!

There's a handy Korok Leaf here.

We need to make a bridge, since if we get in the water we take damage very quickly.

Meanwhile, Magnesis up a couple of chests with Amber inside.

And then make it to this raft!

http://i.mega64.net/botw/u05/099.mp4

The raft is stuck on those poles, so it looks less graceful than it really is. But the wind effects of the Korok Leaf make for a great way to navigate a raft.

Sadly, using Magnesis to use a metal weapon or object to propel the raft forward like a motorboat got patched out.

We meet our first Chuchu, an ice type no less.

It'll dive towards you and briefly become vulnerable to melee weapons. Trying to attack one while it's icy will just freeze you instead.

The best part about Chuchus is they aren't really that hostile. They're just giant goofy creatures that want to give you a hug without realizing they're hurting you.

They also drop different types of jelly, depending on the element. This one will freeze nearby enemies if you hit it near them. Thus Chuchu jellies make for effective traps should you trigger them. Not really necessary, but who cares if it's inventive and fun to utilize?

Behind the left waterfall is a treasure trove.

A Spiked Boko Bow, another Soldier's Broadword, and some regular and Fire Arrows.

The elements will affect your drops as well. After killing a pigeon, one of the drumsticks froze, giving me this.

Eventually there's a path that leads up, and going to the left of that path gets us to the base of this mountain peak.

There's a circle of rocks, with the missing one off to the side.

Another Korok puzzle.

At the top is the Old Man.

Apparently he'll give you the Warm Doublet here if you hadn't gotten it yet. I have it but refuse to wear it. Anyway, let's enjoy the view in the buff.

Use your scope to look for shrines. When you locate one, place a pin on your map as a marker.

Quite the view, indeed.

Now to the final shrine. On the path to it, yet another camp of Bokoblins. So how do I handle this group?

I ignore them and climb to the top. I'm kinda tired of dealing with these weaklings at this point.

Eventually, I reach the final shrine of the Great Plateau.

The final rune for now is Cryonis. It's the most simple of the bunch.

http://i.mega64.net/botw/u05/131.mp4

Use it on water to make a pillar of ice. There you go.

It's much more limited compared to the others, and its uses are much more obvious. But don't get me wrong, it's still very handy and can be used creatively. If nothing else, you can use it to cross great stretches of water without running out of stamina from swimming.

A gate blocks the path?

Cryonis! Note you can only have three pillars up at a time. Try to make a fourth, and the earliest-made pillar breaks. Of course, you can also use the power to break ice pillars you've already made.

There's another guardian scout here. I guess the idea is use cyronis pillars to block its lasers.

It works better in theory than in practice though, so I just wallop it instead.

So what's the solution to thi-

Oh you already know it's freaking Cryonis.

Rule of Thumb: If water's involved, it's probably Cryonis.

And another spear for the chest here.

And that completes our fourth shrine! We've got all four shrines finished!

And look who decided to visit us!

Oho ho! Extraordinary!

Link, it is finally time for me to tell you everything. But first...

I shall wait for you there.

http://i.mega64.net/botw/u05/152.mp4

Uh...huh...

Next time, we get our rewards, get a nice old plot dump, and finally finish up the tutorial!

Speaking of rewards, which Spirit Orb reward should we obtain, a Heart Container or Stamina Vessel?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread