Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yami Fenrir posted:

I would like to apologize for one thing: Some roles have been a lot more useless than I expected them to be. (Mostly magic cop and Analyst). I realize now that those were rather unfun to play, and will do my best not to do that mistake again.

You should all be able to access the obs chat now.

So what was the expected utility of my role when you crafted it? As you realize it had 0 actual utility but how was it supposed to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

chaoslord posted:

So what was the expected utility of my role when you crafted it? As you realize it had 0 actual utility but how was it supposed to work?

It was meant to debunk fakeclaims. Well, that and cause confusion with the second town faction. Ultimately it only seemed to have done the second part though. :negative:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Ultimately this felt like a puzzle that we weren't given the tools to solve, while people got angry at anyone who was trying to solve it.

merk being scum made me feel a little better since I need to not just assume anyone casing me is town, but ultimately this just felt like a logic puzzle with missing clues. You're given information that makes you feel like you should understand, but you never have what you need.

Between functionally useless roles, multiple kills, no kills, and janitored deaths I think Gulag nailed it:

GulagDolls posted:

anyone else feel like you lack agency with this many nightkills v_X

I think this game suffered from trying to put too many big ideas into a single game that you're left unable to actually get a handle on what's happening.

Also, unrelated to setup, once again leaving imgay alive until endgame was a mistake town couldn't afford to make.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The Amarath and Arwintar stuff was interesting but ultimately a smoke screen. The puzzle was mostly a distraction that would be used to scumteam's benefit, that's what OP sets up as I read it. Town had scum dead to rights if they just played mafia. I'm not going to defend lurking at all, but scum team was set up like dominoes to fall from D2-3 onward, and hambeet and dancer were named as susp from d2.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yami Fenrir posted:

It was meant to debunk fakeclaims. Well, that and cause confusion with the second town faction. Ultimately it only seemed to have done the second part though. :negative:

Well I mean, the investigation matched scums safe fake claims so I think the only people it would have caught fake claiming was town which is less than ideal

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

The Amarath and Arwintar stuff was interesting but ultimately a smoke screen. The puzzle was mostly a distraction that would be used to scumteam's benefit, that's what OP sets up as I read it. Town had scum dead to rights if they just played mafia. I'm not going to defend lurking at all, but scum team was set up like dominoes to fall from D2-3 onward, and hambeet and dancer were named as susp from d2.

That's not even close to true and only looks that way from the advantage of being scum.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Toalpaz posted:

"Should have just played mafia" is a :thunk: claim when we voted out two scum and had correctly identified two of the three remaining. Hard to overcome a janitor, a scum coming back to life, multiple kills at night, and imgay.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm okay with this, town still missed 4/6 nights. Isn't that reasonable?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

chaoslord posted:

Well I mean, the investigation matched scums safe fake claims so I think the only people it would have caught fake claiming was town which is less than ideal

There have been some last minute changes that caused this, but scum also seemed awfully unwilling to actually use the fakeclaims I provided and veer off. :shrug:

Also, Toal killed themselves in the first place so they didn't unfairly resurrect themsleves. :V

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Toalpaz posted:

I'm okay with this, town still missed 4/6 nights. Isn't that reasonable?

It's all about your framing, right?

My point is saying "Just play mafia" comes off fairly condescending when we were playing mafia. Like, you pointed to the "smokescreen" of the two towns when most of the game had bought into the two towns thing being A-OK early on. I was one of the few stragglers on that but most of the game accepted "two towns, fine" pretty fast.

I'm more frustrated that this game was basically lost on the D1 decision to not lynch imgay than anything. If imgay were alive and we lynch scum D6, that's three scum lynches in a row and you wouldn't be saying "Just play mafia".

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Like you had a teammate who didn’t post for 6 days but still submitted night actions, don’t throw out “just play mafia”

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Had it been an experienced player I would have called BS but them being new gave it enough believability that I moved past it to focus on the scums.

Don’t think it mattered though, we needed four votes and even with gulag being a double voter (which he should have freakin claimed omg) we still needed imgay on board so, you know.

I didn't claim it exactly cause we needed Imgay and I really didn't think there were two scum left. With those numbers I'm not sure if it was actually winnable at that point. I was hoping to be seen as 3p and live to 3way lylo but it was not to be.

Also I'm sorry about not being police but I actually literally had no idea what was going on until toal flipped so I was just trying to control the narrative a bit. Before that I thought this game was like ernies final frontier and that my objective might have just been to kill arwinter people

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GulagDolls posted:

I didn't claim it exactly cause we needed Imgay and I really didn't think there were two scum left. With those numbers I'm not sure if it was actually winnable at that point. I was hoping to be seen as 3p and live to 3way lylo but it was not to be.

That’s fair. From my seat it was clear we would have needed imgay vote and had you claimed he may have voted with us since that would have got a lunch done. But who knows, he probably wouldn’t have anyway

I didn’t think there were 3 scum but with so many players in the game there had to be I thought

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Always take advantage of lurker rules would have helped in this case. :)

I mean, I was surprised the claim didn't get them cuddled, and was surprised they weren't cuddled for being the last person standing of multiple masons including a recruiter. But even discarding that stuff, they were a free cuddle for multiple days.

And yes, I let my love of 3ps blind me to the always vote imgay out policy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I think my biggest problem still, as I mentioned in observer chat, is I don't love the idea of a single scum team that is balanced using the normal balance numbers, having multiple kills a night. So that, combined with the janitors, combined with a town vig which has a higher chance of hitting town, just doesn't sit well with me from a balance perspective. Also the method of that extra kill is like amazing for scum since it takes out power roles specifically.

Like, I hate being scum, but if i have to be scum in a game, please give me a version of this amazing role we saw in like two games at the same time.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
No lynch Day 1
CapitalistPig, Grendel Mallaras (Amaranth-Aligned Inventor) was lynched Day 2.
A Sometimes Food, Amy Zander (Amaranth-Aligned 2-Shot Vigilante/Mason) was lynched Day 2.
Lampsacus, Thomas Chrona (Arwintar-Aligned Chronomancer) has been lynched Day 3.
Kitiara, Lina of the Forest (Arwintar-Aligned Hider) has been lynched Day 3.
Toalpaz, Effigy (Lemuria-Aligned Ninja/Gravewalker) has been lynched Day 4.
merk, Queen Diodora Lemuria (Lemuria-Aligned Necromancer/2-Shot Janitor) was lynched Day 5.
No lynch Day 6

Say what you want about the setup, but this was bad scumhunting from town. You only started to catch scum when the night actions told you people were scum.

That said, this also was a bad scum game. We had a lot of lurking. We used our night actions poorly (besides the vig I stole and Azure).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i need to flag that i felt this was brought up as a negative and i don't know why

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I had fun briefly until someone killed me in error, the fool.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Interesting game. Thanks yami!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

willie_dee posted:

I had fun briefly until someone killed me in error, the fool.

I thought vigging the person who just replaced in was both hilarious and very rude.

• Locked thread