Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Orv posted:

The 2 DLCs are so absurdly good in basically every regard, with the notable exception of the enemy scaling. (And maybe Iron Passage.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPGThfD_GY

All the multiplayer-focused areas were really garbage. God, the loving snowfield in the third DLC was like a nightmare. The actual main content in them was great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I just wish From had ever figured out how to design snowy environments that weren't hideous from nearly every angle.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mordja posted:

Talk of Northgard made me think of looking up another Early Access RTS, the Myth-like Deadhold and uh RIP.

Yeah. Sadface. I don't know that that was a guaranteed winner but it definitely had potential.

Mordja posted:

E: I seem to remember a few people itt who'd played it had some big problems with the game but I can't remember what they were.

Some folks were angry just-on-principle that there were timer-cooldown "powers" that you would select when doing the usual pregame team composition picks and stuff. (Not powers cast by units, but ones that would be triggered through the omniscient player perspective.)

There was also a bit of theorycrafting about why this or that wouldn't work as well as in Myth, but eh I'm even more skeptical than usual about deep-dive theorycrafting when you're talking about an early access title. Stuff changes.

e: not specifically referencing any posts in this thread. Just misc Deadhold talk from various places.

Anyway.

Reminds me that 3MA had a good podcast retrospective about Myth: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/myth

There are things I would quibble about in that show when it comes to the multiplayer discussion, but generally a fine show and I really liked their ideas about the theme and pacing of Myth. Some aspects of Myth don't immediately make sense as something that sells the game or looks good in action, but they do make for a memorable play experience.

One of the 3MA guys said that he felt that Deadhold was whiffing on the theme or atmosphere in particular and maybe he was right. (But again, I would have liked to see what the finished game looked like.)

JLaw fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm super late on posting this one and I apologize for that, but honestly no one is missing much here. It doesn't get a banner either, just because.

:barf: PLATFORMEBRUARY :barf:

0. Tiny Barbarian DX
1. Shank 2
2. Odallus: The Dark Call
3. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
4. Squishy the Suicidal Pig
5. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
6. Vessel
7. Owlboy
8. NOT A HERO
9. Castle of Illusion
10. Flinthook

11. Crab Dub

I really, honestly don’t understand what compels some people to create the games they do. I understand games like Chaos Domain and A.R.E.S., games that have decent concepts botched horribly. It’s the ones like The Grandfather, where you can barely fathom why they exist at all. Crab Dub falls squarely into that category, a game whose story, art, gameplay, and entire concept are virtually impenetrable. There’s nothing fun or entertaining about any part of this game, specifically because the choices involved in producing it appear to run entirely counter to any sort of logical game design.

I’m not going to waste time rephrasing the story, so you can have it straight from the store page: “Deep deep down at the bottom of the ocean is where the evil Dr. Taco reigns. His biggest dream is to conquer the entire ocean. Together with his business partner, Mr. Rhino, they sponsor a high-tech project called «Crab Dub».” You are apparently part of this project, sent out to stop “Blue Cassette Player” so that Dr. Taco can rule unimpeded. When you start the game it takes you to an undersea screen where you choose one of three episodes to play, and then you click the right arrow to proceed. That takes you to a platform with your sea-snail looking crab on a pillar, with a selection of guns to the right and Mr. Rhino at a desk to the left. You pick your weapon of choice and then click the pillar to launch off in a rocket.

The first level has you on a tiny platform suspended in the ocean. If you jump off, like towards the one other platform just out of reach, you’ll plummet off the screen and end up in a void where your crab is sucking on a pacifier. The only way out is to hit Escape, restarting the level. It turns out what you’re supposed to do is CLICK on the blue octagon in each level, sometimes after clicking on inflating cats. You might have to do some floaty platforming on jellyfish or avoid toast launched from toasters to get there, depending on the level. You can shoot things with your huge, beefy gun but the only enemies I saw were smug squids.

Does any of this make a lick of loving sense to you? Because it doesn’t to me, and I don’t really get how anyone puts together crap like this and calls it fun. Lots of games do the keyboard movement / mouse aiming thing but not on tiny one-screen levels like this, often with no enemies. There’s no indication what you should click on or what you should jump on or what you should shoot, leading to nothing but trial-and-error experimentation. The graphics have little stylistic distinction between solid objects, interactables, enemies, and background details. Nothing about this is good or interesting or well-designed, at all. I never expected to be so repulsed by such a modest, innocuous game, but I only spent 10 minutes playing it and I’m angry I wasted that much of my life.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Has anyone in here played Dandara? For those that don't know, it's a mouse/analog stick platformer where you can't walk/run; instead, you dash from platform to platform.

It looks like a fun, unique Metroidvania, but I have two big concerns: there seems to be no map, and on top of that, sometimes the level seems to switch orientations randomly, so remembering paths seems like an even bigger pain than usual (can turn this off?).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watched the Quick Look for it and while it's a neat gimmicak, me, personally, I think it would wear out its welcome pretty quickly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You do get a map pretty early on, although it's still entirely on you to figure out where to go.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Time for a question as I want to fill up my wishlist before the Lunar sale starts (and as I've been reading Warhammer books again) - what are the best Warhammer 40k* games? There's a ton of them on Steam now, and well, what do I start with?

*Warhammer but not 40k games are also acceptable, but tentatively so because I'm craving aliens and space marines.

not space marines, but vermintide is good, 2 is coming out soon and also looks good

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So that's why I got Dawn of War 3 on my Humble Monthly Bundle. It's weird seeing something like that now being abandoned. It must've really loving sucked

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 12, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

So that's why I got Dawn of War 3 on my Humble Monthly Bundle. It's weird seeing something like that now being abandoned. It must've really loving sucked

RECENT REVIEWS:
Mostly Negative (181)
ALL REVIEWS:
Mixed (6,358)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait they tried to make it a moba hybrid what hahahahahaha

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I heard it was more like Warcraft 3 but made in a post-DOTA world so ./shrug

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Synthbuttrange posted:

They tried to dip their toe in the esports market but forget to make it a fun game first

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Synthbuttrange posted:

yep, game industry is incredibly soulless and creatively bankrupt, it's pretty impressive. "hey these moba/proc gen voxel crafting/[dayz+h1zn or w/e zombie pvp survival]/pubg/overwatch-y/stardew games are getting all the action! lets abandon all else and get in on that!

I have zero interest in DoW3 despite liking 1 and 2.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This looks interesting: Lobotomy Corporation is a management sim where you're in charge of an SCP-like institute. I don't like buying Early Access games but they've been making steady updates and a full release will most likely come out in the next few months.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I watched it early on then it decided to go full anime at some point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xaris posted:

yep, game industry is incredibly soulless and creatively bankrupt, it's pretty impressive. "hey these moba/proc gen voxel crafting/[dayz+h1zn or w/e zombie pvp survival]/pubg/overwatch-y/stardew games are getting all the action! lets abandon all else and get in on that!

I have zero interest in DoW3 despite liking 1 and 2.

I would play the poo poo of Stardew Valley set in the 40k Universe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I would play the poo poo of Stardew Valley set in the 40k Universe.

How do you know that it isn't already?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lookin at iconoclasts, is it more like the Hollow Knight and Environmental Station Alpha type of metroidvania, where ur free to roam around and kind of discover stuff at your own pace, or is it more guided in the vein of games like Ori? Cause i bounced hard off the latter and love the former

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuligin posted:

Lookin at iconoclasts, is it more like the Hollow Knight and Environmental Station Alpha type of metroidvania, where ur free to roam around and kind of discover stuff at your own pace, or is it more guided in the vein of games like Ori? Cause i bounced hard off the latter and love the former

Guided and linear. It's more like a story-based action platformer than a metroidvania, but said story is real good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't know anything about Iconoclasts but if you like more open metroidvanias, you might enjoy Rain World

It's an open world platformer where you play as a squishy slugcat exploring and hunting in a mysterious post-apoc world full of other hungry creatures that are trying to survive.
https://i.imgur.com/qydfO1U.gifv

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stay safe slugcat

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Knorth posted:

I don't know anything about Iconoclasts but if you like more open metroidvanias, you might enjoy Rain World

It's an open world platformer where you play as a squishy slugcat exploring and hunting in a mysterious post-apoc world full of other hungry creatures that are trying to survive.
https://i.imgur.com/qydfO1U.gifv

wow this looks cool

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I like it a lot. It's not going to be for everyone, the only real 'power curve' is how comfortable you get with scrambling around as slugcat and your familiarity with the predators/environments. And it's pretty hands-off with your 'objectives' such as they are, it's very much about exploring at your own pace and finding weird things. The story, once you start finding things out, really goes places and the ending was pretty stunning.

It recently got a big patch too, it has an easy mode, where you are a peaceful slugcat that predators will more often leave alone and a hard mode, where you become the Hunter as well as the regular difficulty

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rain World is such a weird game for me because I... think it's a masterpiece, but my memories of it are such a blur. It's one of the most oppressive game worlds I've ever seen; I look back at The Exterior and it just boggles my mind how I was able to even begin to get through that, but that's sorta what the game does, it makes you start operating purely on instinct to survive the everything. Getting through an area you spent the last few hours beating your head against is so satisfying, and sometimes the procedural generation blesses you with absolute magic like fighting alongside a gang of scavengers in a war against a lizard horde and then a vulture flies in and causes even more chaos and it's the best poo poo ever.

I feel like it's worth showing just why the game has its title, because it's really something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUzm4tfOkg

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Dark Souls is a series I wish I liked, but in practice I don't even though I've tried all of them. Bloodborne, too. I played the first Dark Souls and get frustrated but still kept playing until the goddamn cathedral scaffolding. I really like the idea of them though and not enjoying playing them frustrates me thinking about playing them about as much as the experience of playing them does. gently caress

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World is such a weird game for me because I... think it's a masterpiece, but my memories of it are such a blur. It's one of the most oppressive game worlds I've ever seen; I look back at The Exterior and it just boggles my mind how I was able to even begin to get through that, but that's sorta what the game does, it makes you start operating purely on instinct to survive the everything. Getting through an area you spent the last few hours beating your head against is so satisfying, and sometimes the procedural generation blesses you with absolute magic like fighting alongside a gang of scavengers in a war against a lizard horde and then a vulture flies in and causes even more chaos and it's the best poo poo ever.

I feel like it's worth showing just why the game has its title, because it's really something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXUzm4tfOkg

Procedural generation might be the wrong phrase since creatures are persistent and moving around the regions by their own logic rather than placed like that I believe but yes, :agreed:

The Leg sure is something lol, although I had more problems getting though Memory Crypts the first time than climbing around the Exterior tbh.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 12, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Knorth posted:

Procedural generation might be the wrong phrase since creatures are persistent and moving around the regions by their own logic rather than placed like that I believe but yes, :agreed:

The Leg sure is something lol, although I had more problems getting though Memory Crypts the first time than climbing around the Exterior tbh.

I somehow managed to get through Memory Crypts my first try; my heart was pounding so bad the whole time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I have so many memories of desperate, panicked escapes in Rain World. It's really amazing how well it puts you into the place of a frightened prey animal. And I love that they added a hard mode to a game that's been widely criticized for being too difficult ever since it came out. It's really fun too.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Pigbuster posted:

I somehow managed to get through Memory Crypts my first try; my heart was pounding so bad the whole time.

If you haven't already, definitely check out the new Hunter mode that got patched in. It's not just the same situation but more difficult, Toughcat has it's whole own thing going on.

But being a Hunterslug is Extremely Not Easy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In my successful hunter run I went all the way through the shoreline to moon and then back down to the subterranean gate in a single cycle. At the end the rain was already coming down and the tunnels under the shore were flooding. I managed to swim through the last couple of rooms and made it to the gate, but when I came out the other side it was completely underwater and I had to try and swim for the shelter. Just barely made it and had to go take a walk to calm down afterward. Probably the most harrowing thing I've ever pulled off in a video game.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I need to get back to my Hunter game, I can get that grumpy slugcat through Sky Islands alive, I believe it!

lets hang out posted:

In my successful hunter run I went all the way through the shoreline to moon and then back down to the subterranean gate in a single cycle. At the end the rain was already coming down and the tunnels under the shore were flooding. I managed to swim through the last couple of rooms and made it to the gate, but when I came out the other side it was completely underwater and I had to try and swim for the shelter. Just barely made it and had to go take a walk to calm down afterward. Probably the most harrowing thing I've ever pulled off in a video game.

I wished I could have seen this, that sprint sounds wild

Knorth fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 12, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

Talk of Northgard made me think of looking up another Early Access RTS, the Myth-like Deadhold and uh RIP.

E: I seem to remember a few people itt who'd played it had some big problems with the game but I can't remember what they were.

Well drat. I loved playing Myth on the Power Mac my family got when I was younger and was really hoping Deadhold would turn out to be a worthy successor.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I need to type something saying more or less holy poo poo @ Pyre. Its one of those games that manages to convince you that despite all the agony and frustration, it is one of your favorite things. Like... I honestly can't tell if I liked the gameplay bits of it. Just nothing but high adrenaline and constant swearing. Single player DOTA, to the max. But the matches I lost... I don't feel raw about losing. Like, they worked, narratively speaking. Which amazes me. I feel mostly good about the choices I made, but still feel anxious about all of them. I got a good ending! They might all be good! drat this game knows how to twist a knife. That it asked you to stab yourself with. I love it for how good it is at telling me I'm wrong.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Pyre is really great

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I like to compare Iconoclasts' pacing to Metroid Fusion's. Some open areas and backtracking but mostly railroaded by plot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

btw knorth play Iconoclasts

e: seeing it compared to Fusion did make a lot of sense to me.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 12, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's on my list but I'm trying to save money right now so it'll have to wait for a sale. It looks fun

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I own Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. Is this the definitive one? What's the situation?

ed. to fix title

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

I own Dark Souls: Scholar of the First Sin. Is this the definitive one? What's the situation?

It's Dark Souls 2 Hard Mode hack from what people say. Personally my experience (only DS game I played) didn't seem that different to me compared to what I saw other people experience from other Souls games first time around.