Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was really excited to see his run, then I fell asleep and totally missed it :(

I mean i guess I can watch the VOD but it's just not the same. Plus I wanted to throw money at them specifically during his run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

The Rokstar posted:

I'm going to post in this thread as well to say Halfcoordinated owns.

Screw your forum norms.
I thought his run was very cool and good

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Renegret posted:

I was really excited to see his run, then I fell asleep and totally missed it :(

I mean i guess I can watch the VOD but it's just not the same. Plus I wanted to throw money at them specifically during his run.

Why not donate for his runner's choice then? I believe it was having the filename named Sam on FF Adventure

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I tried doing another Bionic Commando run, actually using that skip I posted.

It turns out it's not useful for a full run. It skips getting the green matrix, so you can't open the green door in Ascension City Downtown VII.

The people that made this game must really hate sequence breaking.

I'm surprised it even checks if you have the green matrix, as you can't skip it if you play normally.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ignis posted:

Why not donate for his runner's choice then? I believe it was having the filename named Sam on FF Adventure

I will probably do that then

I've been at work so I haven't had a chance to look into it

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I've been grinding away at Final Fantasy IV and just got a new PB last night.. Still didn't get my goal of sub 3:15 but a 3:18:13 isn't bad..

Check out the run here

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I did my first speedrun :woop:

A bad time, I died a ton, lotta places to improve, the WR is like 23 minutes, but hell it was fun :D There are plenty of places where I'm not sure if it is faster or not to do certain things but I'm sure I'll figure stuff out eventually

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I got a new PB for Bionic Commando, 1:15:05, almost a minute faster than my previous one.

And this time I recorded video! (although right now it's still processing on Youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhFdkqVifo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've got a generic speedrun question

two of the games I'm interested in speedrunning mostly because they aren't ever done, are Rogue Leader and Timesplitters Future Perfect.

Both of them have cutscenes that are skippable if you've beaten the game on another file. Is it kosher to have another file just so I can skip the cutscenes? I've seen some people say yes but other people were unsure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mortimer posted:

two of the games I'm interested in speedrunning mostly because they aren't ever done, are Rogue Leader and Timesplitters Future Perfect.

Both of them have cutscenes that are skippable if you've beaten the game on another file. Is it kosher to have another file just so I can skip the cutscenes? I've seen some people say yes but other people were unsure.

I think most game communities say that it's fine (Castlevania SotN is a perfect example), but there's going to be a few where New Game+ changes more than that in a game and so won't really be considered acceptable. If you're the only person doing it, then really you can decide for yourself what the rules are and what counts.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mortimer posted:

http://www.speedrun.com/ts3
http://www.speedrun.com/rogue2

"they aren't ever done"

?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"they're rarely done"

is that better

They're not like say, super metroid, where the running conventions of what skips are allowed and disallowed are set in stone.

I'll just do what either of those two guys did, thanks.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mortimer posted:

"they're rarely done"

is that better

They're not like say, super metroid, where the running conventions of what skips are allowed and disallowed are set in stone.

I'll just do what either of those two guys did, thanks.

Fair enough, and yeah when in doubt just copy what everyone else is doing

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Has there ever been a Hey you Pikachu speedrun before?

Maybe this is my chance..

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Dizz posted:

Has there ever been a Hey you Pikachu speedrun before?

Maybe this is my chance..

neskamikaze tried it (has a 2:34:01 highlight) only to find that once you meet the conditions for the final mission it's completely random how long it takes to show up.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/VTrBH5H.jpg
For you S&P

Studio fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

nice camera

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When can we expect a speedrun of Pokemon Go (that would involve actual running)?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

That's...nice? I think?

I don't really understand what I'm looking at. That's Fladervy, obviously. He's holding my name on a business card?

*shrug*

Well, the sentiment is sweet I guess.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mortimer posted:

Hi there, Rogue Leader is my speedgame as well. For me, I do NG+ more or less with, every level beaten and all upgrades and ships unlocked (note: I don't actually use anything but the default ships because it's faster to never enter the hangar). That way I can beat levels quicker and skip cutscenes (that fuckin Hoth cutscene good god). My best time with this route is 45:25

Since the game doesn't have much of an active community, you can prolly play fast and loose with how you want to run it. I've been meaning to get back into running that game regularly and improving further and will likely do so after I get back from vacation on the 24th. Make a twitch channel and race me in it sometime~

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 9, 2016

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

That's...nice? I think?

I don't really understand what I'm looking at. That's Fladervy, obviously. He's holding my name on a business card?

*shrug*

From what little interactions i had with flad he's a cool guy, i guess there's bound to be at least one normal fp runner.

He was really impressed with my celeste practice

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

are you dumb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I don't understand what's dumb about that

I mean, the person he was saying that to agreed with him and corrected themselves as well

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jfc he was being intentionally hyperbolic saying "no one runs it" because that is the way human beings speak and the guy had to go "um actually,,,," about it so now we are laughing at that guy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Jfc he was being intentionally hyperbolic saying "no one runs it" because that is the way human beings speak and the guy had to go "um actually,,,," about it so now we are laughing at that guy.

Well yeah but it seemed like and one-and-done thing not worth getting upset over :shrug:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

One of those runs is as recent as 16 days old and his post belied having not seen another run, so I pointed him in the proper direction while being mildly sarcastic about it.

This is such a pissweak callout for doing something useful.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Well yeah but it seemed like and one-and-done thing not worth getting upset over :shrug:

im not upset i just think its dumb

his later explanation was way better tho, so thats cool

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Actually, now is probably a good time to bring this up but I've been feeling a new OP for a while because this one is kinda out of date and could serve to answer simple questions like that dude's one where the question can always be answered by "go to speedrun.com, punch the game name in and take a gander at the rules/a run" among some other common questions I could think of like "where's the list of upcoming speedrun marathons? Usually in r/speedrun's sidebar."

I could definitely write such an OP I just dunno what to call a new thread.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
"Speedrunning Thread: Benefiting Goons without Stairs" perhaps?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just make the op a giant :goonsay: since that's all this thread is anyway.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Actually, now is probably a good time to bring this up but I've been feeling a new OP for a while because this one is kinda out of date and could serve to answer simple questions like that dude's one where the question can always be answered by "go to speedrun.com, punch the game name in and take a gander at the rules/a run" among some other common questions I could think of like "where's the list of upcoming speedrun marathons? Usually in r/speedrun's sidebar."

And of course then we need to collect links to the stubborn communities that refuse to post poo poo on speedrun.com because it offends their tender sensibilities or something

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is it easy to mirror stuff over?

I used to follow Halo a lot and they've already got communities, forums, wikis and leaderboards (with a lot of nice graphs and stuff) on their own site. Does speedrun.com even do wikis and cool record-over-time graphs and the like? From what I've gathered from them, it basically seems like they've already got so much set up that moving it all would be a pain, if it's stuff they can do at all. Is this right, or are they all big weenies who could fiddle some settings and have it crossed over really easily?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spdrunnr Thrad - "E" skip finally found

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CrashCat posted:

And of course then we need to collect links to the stubborn communities that refuse to post poo poo on speedrun.com because it offends their tender sensibilities or something

To be fair, this seems to be a broad thing across most communities, they just kinda don't post their poo poo to speedrun.com Guides section or anything. Don't really know why, it's not a half bad place to put stuff.

MooCowlian posted:

Is it easy to mirror stuff over?

I used to follow Halo a lot and they've already got communities, forums, wikis and leaderboards (with a lot of nice graphs and stuff) on their own site. Does speedrun.com even do wikis and cool record-over-time graphs and the like? From what I've gathered from them, it basically seems like they've already got so much set up that moving it all would be a pain, if it's stuff they can do at all. Is this right, or are they all big weenies who could fiddle some settings and have it crossed over really easily?

At bare minimum, they have a section labelled "Guides" for every game where you can just post links to external resources like that, it's pretty small effort to make things a little more visible to people outside the loop and a lot of people just don't do it out of what I presume is mostly just laziness.

Renegret posted:

Just make the op a giant :goonsay: since that's all this thread is anyway.

why are you here when you don't seem to like speedruns

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

That's...nice? I think?

*shrug*

I was very tired and I wanted to get you an extra shoutout :eng99:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Studio posted:

I was very tired and I wanted to get you an extra shoutout :eng99:

The sentiment is sweet!

maybe I'll go next year, that would be nice

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

speedrunning: like a lets play, but with a timer and even worse jokes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speedruns - Mario 3 in 2 seconds is pretty ACE

:downs:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The new speedrunning thread - I have high functioning autism / My money goes to killing the Animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I suggested a new thread a year ago when I noticed the OP doesn't mention twitch at all since the OP was created something like 2 months after the invention of twitch and twitch streaming is pretty much where 90% of speedrunning comes from these days but I was told no by the masses because we need to have a Peaches__ OP and I pretty much did not have a rebuttal to that.

So in short, write an OP and PM it / pastebin it to Peaches.

• Locked thread