Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Confirming touch support for Tangledeep. Feel free to use a stylus or sausage fingers if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Viewtiful Jew posted:

These earnings reports always bring out astonishing takes.

Nintendo Switch in 2019: A Nightmare given flesh.

Imagine I posted that 'Never go on Reddit' video, but for Resetera.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Zelda was the first open world game.

No wait, it was adventure.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

jackhunter64 posted:

Imagine I posted that 'Never go on Reddit' video, but for Resetera.

Speaking of which, has this old NeoGAF thread been talked about yet because boy howdy it's a good read after those performance reports (most of these posters would have moved to ResetERA after that poo poo went down):

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I guess the argument is that it's "safe" because they're known IPs and even a bad Zelda game still ends up selling well, Twilight Princess has apparently sold almost 9 million copies across platforms and Mario Sunshine has sold over 6 million copies as of 2006.

e:. Haha ^^^

"I don't think it'll come close to outselling the Wii U actually"

"But I think it might be finally the end of Nintendo. No killer app or Proof of Concept"

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 1, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ResetEra users consist entirely of people unable to feel temperature attempting to post hottakes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oscar Wild posted:

Zelda was the first open world game.

No wait, it was adventure.

The last Zelda game I played was Phantom Hourglass. BotW rules, and I like how "quiet" it is, it's a nice game to chill out with.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Breath of the Wild is only "safe" in that it was outstanding and thus guaranteed to review and sell well

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m new to Advance Wars type games and playing Wargroove. I’m literally at the beginning so maybe it changes but do I get to actually *interact* in the fighting at all? So far it’s just a cutscene thing. Do I ever pick moves?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feenix posted:

I’m new to Advance Wars type games and playing Wargroove. I’m literally at the beginning so maybe it changes but do I get to actually *interact* in the fighting at all? So far it’s just a cutscene thing. Do I ever pick moves?

No thats it, a battle is just slamming your dudes into their dudes and strategy is in the collection of dudes you field and how you attack your enemies dudes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Units in turn based strategy games have set damages they do to the other differing units, with some variable sometimes, and bonuses based on terrain and other factors. The animations are just flavor, you can turn them off if you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Feenix posted:

No. The interplay is in producing the right units and utilizing them in the right way, they don't have like any timing for extra damage or different move lists. Think of it as a more complicated version of chess.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zore posted:

No. The interplay is in producing the right units and utilizing them in the right way, they don't have like any timing for extra damage or different move lists. Think of it as a more complicated version of chess.

Word everyone thanks! Not disappointed, just wasn’t sure.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Dragon Marked for Death is out and I am seriously hyped. The balanced fire shooting class is seriously fun, I’m almost glad the game crashed before I finished playing the tank class demo. The review I read said the technical classes were difficult to use solo, haven’t touched them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wargroove costs $20 right? At work away from my switch or id check myself

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

Wargroove costs $20 right? At work away from my switch or id check myself

Yep

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know Nintendo has already said 'no' to the virtual console, but have they said anything re: old SNES titles coming to the Switch in some capacity? I enjoy my emulator on the PC enough, but would love a SNES library for the Switch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

ResetEra users consist entirely of people unable to feel temperature attempting to post hottakes.

That seems about accurate.

Everyone seems to assume Nintendo's always on the verge of throwing away everything that makes their output remotely unique to desperately copy whatever the AAA flavour of the fiscal quarter is. Probably because that's a safer assumption for every other AAA studio and what's led other Japanese studios to the edge of ruin. Nintendo's conservative in a way where they save their experiments for when they have some breathing room or when they're in a 'gently caress it, let's see if this works' state and if they're putting all their chips on a mainline title like Odyssey, they polish the hell out of it rather than desperately pushing it out at the first available minute. Generally.

Much like my habit with PC games, being a year or two behind the trends can be a boon, because you dodge a lot of flash-in-pan shiny things that no one cares about once the novelty wears off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I know Nintendo has already said 'no' to the virtual console, but have they said anything re: old SNES titles coming to the Switch in some capacity? I enjoy my emulator on the PC enough, but would love a SNES library for the Switch.

There are murmurs it will come like the NES games did and most recently murmurs that Nintendo realizes theyre leaving money on the table by offering gently caress awful online service so expect to pay out the nose for them later this year

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zipperelli. posted:

They haven't said but apparently SNES games icons were found by dataminers in 6.0 firmware last year

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

They haven't said but apparently SNES games icons were found by dataminers in 6.0 firmware last year

More recently a list of SNES games was found inside the NES app too. It's definitely happening, the question is just when.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/14/18182007/nintendo-switch-online-snes-games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They'll announce an initial library of SNES titles available on the Online Subscription Service similar too but also fewer than the SNES Classic library during the next direct. They were hoping that a slow trickle of 2 NES games a month + epic save states that start you at the final boss would tide people over until the end of the year but investors want to see the Online Subscription Service look more appealing. The $60 Exclusive SNES Joycons won't be ready in time for launch though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Investors also want to know why Nintendo doesn't sell bread.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

American McGay posted:

The $60 Exclusive SNES Joycons won't be ready in time for launch though.

I was curious, and because I knew someone had to have done it already, and holy poo poo I would absolutely buy a skin like this in a heartbeat:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nintendough

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Investors also want to know why Nintendo doesn't sell bread.

The same people who wonder just why in the heck Nintendo hasn't been bought by apple yet

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zipperelli. posted:

Dataminers have found evidence that Nintendo are working on similar setups for the SNES (with a list of planned titles, as mentioned) as well as two other unknown systems (referred to only by internal emulator codenames). Whether that comes to pass, and in what form, is currently unknown, but Nintendo reps have made clear that NES stuff is just the start.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Investors just follow the money, they don't care about the consumers, but they're also not wrong.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1091230374833868804

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just wanna play Link to the Past on my switch

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

eonwe posted:

i just wanna play Link to the Past on my switch

:same:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want to play Super Mario Sunshine, a 17 year old game, on my switch. Alongside other 15-25 year old games in exchange for a monthly subscription fee

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I want to play Goldeneye on my Switch, with the ability to online play.

I will pay an ungodly amount of money for this, right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, I beat Katamari Damacy Reroll. I guess now we wait for a We Love Katamari remake?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Currently the bond license is in freefall in value for games so if it keeps up maybe your dream can come true.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, I beat Katamari Damacy Reroll. I guess now we wait for a We Love Katamari remake?

I'm honestly confused as to why they didn't just skip straight to that, or Forever

Guess they're gonna milk it as long as they can

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not a Children posted:

I'm honestly confused as to why they didn't just skip straight to that, or Forever

Guess they're gonna milk it as long as they can

From what I hear probably because the whole thing of We Love Katamari is 'Because everyone liked Katamari Damacy we're making a sequel to it' in a very self-referential manner.

And I get the impression that since they run on the same engine but Damacy is pretty short, it was pretty easy to remake.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zipperelli. posted:

There is a reasonable chance that this is possible with homebrew right-rear end-now.

The N64 emulation has started to become performant and I think RetroArch supports online multiplayer.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Safe" is a nebulous concept that means whatever a person wants something to mean at that point in time. It's like if someone can't accurately describe why they aren't feeling a game a ton of other people are into (which is fine, it's fine to feel that way) and their main criticism is "The title just feels soulless" which is an even more malleable concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm a little surprised that there isn't a FP title coming until the end of March. I wonder what the strategy is there. I mean, I have Vesperia and Travis Strikes Again to tide me over, but what the dingle is going on?