Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

The "lodged in firm and hard" was comedy, but if DoaM is a core concept, i.e. an option a fighter can choose, even if it's a GWF, then I'll probably pick it up.

If the option is languishing in a "sidebar in the DMG" somewhere, then I'll know WotC isn't serious about helping us bad dice rollers to play Fighters.

Pandering to gamers who believe dice rolling involves player skill is a losing proposition, because it's irrational.

Fighters shouldn't deal damage on each attack. It's a booby prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hah hah, enough about that madness. Let's talk about...immersion.

~*~

I'll buy that a minion against a level 17 party can be the same as an elite against a level 7 party, but my big problem - which showed itself back when I was playing 4E on a regular basis - is what the creature's stats are when it's just by itself. Or when it's fighting a different monster. Or when it falls down a thirty foot cliff. Constantly re-defining the same creature would be a ton of work, especially as perspective changes.

And I'm pretty sure that the answer from 4E is supposed to be, "Don't worry about it". That's not an acceptable answer to me, though. The whole reason I bought the game and learned the system is so that it can answer those sorts of questions.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If the outcome of an unobserved fight needs to be determined, it should be determined using the same methods as if it were observed. Or at a minimum, the outcome of the fight needs to be the same as what the outcome would be if you'd figured it out long-hand. As a player, I trust that the GM is being objective in such determinations. Because whether something takes place on-screen is only a meta-game state that doesn't carry any in-game meaning, and having the outcome influenced by something from outside the game universe would violate causality - and there's no way I can suspend belief enough to buy into a non-causal universe.

It's a tree falling in the woods, and science is very clear about what happens when nobody is watching.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The outcome of a DM- arbitrated encounter should be indistinguishable from what would have happened if it had played out following all of the rules. One-in-twenty chances are allowed to happen, about 5% of the time.

Tying it back around to the original point of this tangent, though, it would be inconsistent for an NPC soldier to come out of any off-screen conflict with a broken arm or leg. There is no way to apply the combat rules such that (slow-healing) broken bones are a result. (Unless you're using some sort of optional rules for critical hits or something, at which point it applies equally to PCs and NPCs.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So what happens when an ogre falls from a cliff? How injured does it get? How many hit points does it lose? Or in an avalanche?

What's the chance that it will be able to break down a iron-banded wooden door (DC 25), when nobody is watching?

If the same ogre interacts with both level 3 characters (and it has stats for a level 2 elite at this point), and then interacts with level 9 characters (as a level 8 standard monster), then how does the damage done in the first encounter translate to damage done in the second encounter? What if it encounters both at the same time?

If a creature only has stats in relation to the heroes, then that system is absolutely worthless for resolving anything about that creature other than its interaction with those heroes. I need more than that. I need to know how it interacts with everything in the world.

That's the reason I paid so much money for this set of books. That was the baseline assumption I'd made about this ruleset, based on experience with every other game I've ever seen that only has one set of stats for any given creature.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

The justification is that PCs are the heroes of the narrative, and that each has an individual human to manage a whole lot of bits and pieces. Those pieces need to be enjoyable for them to manage.
That justification, while valid on a gamist level, does not represent anything within the game world. Where anything within the game world reflects something that exists only in the real world, it violates causality.

There's no way I can possibly suspend disbelief that far.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
NOW BACK TO THE ANGER. Remember: the whole "damage on a miss" thing is an option, not something every character has. It is an option. That you can choose to not have.

~*~

The problem with this entire playtest is you have people saying pink houses are the best because they personally like pink, and that they feel entitled to force that upon everyone else, despite the fact that pink houses are extremely rare. (For now)

They feel compelled to state how accommodating they are to your preferences by telling you if you don't like the pink they are putting on your house, that you are free to paint it over with white on your own dime afterwards. (But trust them, you'll really really love pink after a while!).

Many people don't like damage on a miss, including several members of the design team. Since they all worked on 4th edition, I guess andrew will think they're stuck in 1974? Because whatever's modern is always right and better, and my preferences are better than yours, and pink is going to be the new white because one neighbourhood decided to try it. Meanwhile, 1/2 the people moved out of that neighbourhood or painted their houses different colors afterwards.

That town is now a ghost town that buses don't even stop in. But pink is a great idea for everyone, and that town's problem wasn't that it had too much pink, but not enough. Also, if you don't like it, you're a fossil and probably a bigot too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I wonder if your source is the same as mine. But we'll all know soon enough. I'm worried after Second Wind is real HP similar to lay on hands, it seems the bait and switch of them pretending to cater to multiple playstyles through modules, including classicists and simulationists is now out of the window, and their 4th edition design preferences (gamism only concern) are creeping back to the foreground.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
How can one have a gritty game, for example, if fighters can heal themselves in the middle of combat without even taking two seconds pause to bandage themselves? That massive blow that landed squarely on your chest, that the DM just narrated happened to your character, didn't suddenly stop having happened if you use Second Wind on your next turn, does it. Some people are tolerant (or ignorant) of narrative contradictions, and others aren't. At which point the discussion digresses into "you viewpoint is absurd", vs "no it's just a game it doesn't have to make sense"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

There is that giant, gaping hole in the D&D as process simulation contention, of course, and then there is the "lesser one" of stamina. I've outlined the biomechanics and the biology of it multiple times now. Every martial exchange in real life depletes the actors involved such that they are more potentially susceptible to failure (primarily due to muscle and mental overiding the capacity to concentrate and thus to make the immediate, subconscious permutations required to coordinate a response; mostly the Orient and Decide but also the Act portions of the OODA Loop) in the subsequent exchanges. That is, until they, oh I don't know, "get their second wind"! Which just so happens to be a very real thing in martial endeavors (real both mentally and physically)!

But I guess fantasy worlds don't have OODA Loops, nor vasovagal responses, nor creatures with biology similar to our own and thus aerobic and anaerobic metabolism (and their exchanges, interfaces with other systems, and fallout)...because that would be unrealistic (?) and filled with "narrative contradictions."

You don't need to man-splain biology to us, dude. We know D&D HP and damage isn't realistic. But HP isn't reduced when you do strenuous tasks, and you shouldn't have powers that undo the effects of damage by retconning the damage you took previously as being mere loss of combat effectiveness. HP is not defined as combat effectiveness in this game, and even if it were (which it isn't), there is no rules or mechanical support for it. Damage is damaging, not tiring. You can say it's wrong that being damaged doesn't reduce your to-hit, but you can't then turn around and say being damaged is the same as being tired, where both actually don't reduce your combat effectiveness over your entire HP range.

No character ever died of being too tired. We're going to go around in circles here becaise there is nothing you can do to rationalize HP being stamina for Second Wind only, where if Second Wind isn't used to restore the HP but a healing potion or Cure Wounds spell or rest, makes it mean stamina where damage is concerned. Damage isn't tiring, it's damaging. Those words mean different things. Forcing a false equality on incompatible concepts is irrational. If the damage you took was described as a wound, it shouldn't be negated by adrenalin.

This is why Second Wind made sense as Temp HP which goes away after 5 minutes (adrenalin keeping you going despite a serious injury, not actually negating that injury. See the difference? I'm not sure you do), but doesn't make sense at all for HP.

Show one other example of HP being treated as stamina. This is the outlier. 99.99999% of all HP reduction in D&D is caused by some kind of injury or "damage" trauma, and never due to your character becoming tired. If you wanted to actually model character's effectiveness diminishing as they get worn out from combat, one should reduce their to-hit and damage, not just their current HP total. Since neither to-hit, damage, or HP are reduced as you do activity in this game, you can't pretend like Second Wind restoring HP makes any sense because it does not.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Damage on a miss is probably the single dumbest thing I've seen added to D&D rules ever.

If it exists in the Basic D&D rules as a fighting style I'm going to say thanks for saving me the trouble of paying for this. Even if the rest of the game is great, I just can't give them money if they put such blatant stupidity in there, in a non-optional, non-mutable, non-modular way, after years of people arguing about it. Especially after Mearls' joke about "we are removing damage on a hit". If they actually left damage on a miss after that, it means that wasn't a joke for levity, but actually a sign of real scorn and a direct insult to the people that Daom repulses. It means it was mocking people, not catering to different playstyles.

One size doesn't fit all, it's time people called them out on it. We participated in this game playtest to have our opinions heard. I will be voting with my wallet, a week and a half from now. If I see the Basic D&D has Daom on it, I'm cancelling all my orders, disbanding my groups, and switching to Pathfinder permanently. Minus things like grit and so forth. I don't see why I should pay for a new game edition when they are giving nothing but lip service to a set of rational and sensible game rules.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Characters and monsters die as a result of sustaining multiple wounds. That is how the game works. It is not only the last hit that kills your opponent, except maybe in your game where a handful of seconds of combat is sufficient to cause a heart attack or die of heat exhaustion due to sweating too much.

If I could draw a fat kobold and then one round later one who's shed all that weight in a puddle of sweat, you'd see how ridiculous your claim is. Being too tired and not being able to dodge is not how the game works.

You're making stuff up to rationalize an irrational view of the action. I suppose you think a 200 HP dragon is actually parrying all those attacks by the dozen of people attacking it, and it's only when it gets too tired that one guy kill steals it and delivers the killing blow on the dragon's otherwise pristine body.

If you imagine a 200 HP dragon at 10 HP the same as 100 HP, visually, you are in a very small minority and your viewpoint does not represent how most people play and imagine the game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yes, really. I might love beef stew but I'm willing to tolerate zero grams of rat droppings in my stew, and I'm not paying for the privilege of ignoring its foulness or pretending like it's not there.

I already own many 4th edition books, if I wanted Daom I could play that or 13th Age instead.

Either they listened to the controversy this has caused, and put it in a DMG sidebar, or they kept it and flipped the middle finger to me and my playstyle. I can just open my Pathfinder books, and despite all the mechanics issues, at least I can't build a fighter who can't ever miss.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

Well, good luck to you! Hopefully you'll enjoy Pathfinder. Though I bet there's a damage on a miss mechanic somewhere in there, too. Then you'll have to play GURPS!

I find this especially dismissive. It doesn't address the arguments of DoaM and basically tells someone to go screw off since they are criticizing a mechanic of a game system you happen to like. If you weren't a Mod I would consider reporting you to one. Wow. Way to attack the content of his character instead of the argument he is making. It doesn't matter if he has the power to disband groups or not, the fact that he finds this mechanic so poisonous should perhaps be discussed instead of just saying 'I'm sure it exists in PF, so go play someone else and be gone.' Wow. This may not have been your intent but it is certainly my inference and even though I'm not DDNFan I'm offended.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Okay, given the involvement of known scam artists, I'd really like to know if this is just an OGL dump, or if this existing means Paizo's been involved or has approved it.

tax:

quote:

IMO, 4e hardly feels like D&D anymore. but that's just my opinion.

You can adequately describe it as "Someone took the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords and turned it into a single-unit wargame"
It's a heavily gamist system, with absolute gently caress all as far as good systems for narrativism, but It's fun enough and serves it's purpose as a table top dungeon crawling combat game.

In 4e your leveling and class traits are basically picking a ToB Maneuver or Spell every other level, and a feat every level you don't get a power.
These powers can be either used At-will, once every fight (regardless of time between), or once a day.
Everything is clearly typed out and every ability boils down into "Damage + Status" and "Ability Modifier vs. one of 4 flavors of AC"
Status effects are all type-cast like that of a MTG card effect.

Like I said, It's great for what it is, and much more balanced (because it hardly gives you any room for min-maxing or optimization), but it's just not the system for me because it's too simple and I get the same thing out of it as playing one of the many 4e-based video games on the computer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Again. This is an option for fighters. It is not something all Fighters have, or something mandated in any way.

~*~

I'm having a great time playing D&D Next actually. The main question is whether the final rules will be decent or sprinkled with crud. I don't like paying for stuff I consider crummy, I guess that makes me crazy around these parts. Go figure. I don't have unilateral power to tell my friends they can't continue to play this edition if there are things in it that I can't stomach, but if I cancelled my book orders they'd have to play at someone else's place. They are more than welcome to do that, but I host and I organize people to get together and if I start a Pathfinder game I know for sure that's what we would be playing instead, with either the exact same group, same campaign, same DM, or a different DM (possibly myself). I just have friends who are also open minded enough to not demand or even expect others to join a game containing rules they detest. I like the overall system a lot, there are just a few deal breaker things in there and I have a few lines I will not cross. This is one of them. I'll keep my own council as to how to spend my spare time. I rolled my eyes nearly to the back of my head during the last time I tried to tolerate these kinds of rules, and I'm simply not interested in doing that again.

If you are, Morrus, that's fine by me. If you play games with rules you hate in them, be my guest. I'll go back to Pathfinder and ignore the bad stuff. I already own the Pathfinder books and am familiar with it both as a player and as a DM, and so are all the other gamers I play with. They all loved Pathfinder and hated 4th, and I don't ever remember any of us arguing over immersion breaking things that didn't make any sense to us as we did during our 4e games. Just not interested in doing that again, and certainly not paying Wizards again after claiming "one size does not fit all" then handing me a pair of children's pants and saying "don't like it? too bad for you".

No, too bad for them. If I pulled out of this game after Basic D&D, Wizards would certainly lose several complete sets of book orders. I don't relish the notion of that, but if I have to houserule the game just to play it, and we're set on playing it in the end, at best we might play it with PDFs but I'm certainly not paying for the books myself. I'm tired of buying half-baked products that are shoved out the door.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Thanks for saying this Tovec, it's appreciated. The owner of this website can insult me all he wants, it is like water off a duck's back and I care not one iota. Why would I? Doesn't make me wrong or my opinions invalid.

I actually am a fan of D&D Next, I play it every week. In fact, I played it tonight. But that doesn't mean there aren't some crusty stains in it, stuff like Tactical Warrior which neither I nor my current DM would allow in our games in a million years. It's one thing to put problematic mechanics in a feat somewhere, but it's another to give not one but two very highly controversial abilities to the Basic D&D, simplest fighter you can think of.

Second Wind is strike 1, but it's not so bad since it's once in a while. But Daom is an at will ability, and I'm not willing to sit through that all the freaking time, should someone at our tables chose it. I'd ask them if they could pick something else, but why would I do that when I can just play a different game where fighters and rangers and paladins can miss? I suspect that Rodney Thompson and others at Wizards are probably planning more such nonsensical rules to add in for subsequent books, and then it's a never ending game of whack a mole. That's not the reason I want to play D&D. I want a game rule that, at least in the Basic game if not in the full PHB, contains only things that I would consider a reasonable facsimile of the D&D I grew up with.

Fighters with greatswords never failing any attack, ever, disqualifies 5th edition from that status, singlehandedly and irredeemably.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm not willing to houserule such a serious deviation of what I expect D&D to look like, and still be expected to pay for it at the same time. I did that before, and vowed to not do it again.

The main question here is whether Wizards wants to exclude fans of classic D&D where fighters can miss sometimes, from playing even the basic game without houserules.

Second Wind was sort of the first shot across the bow. We thought we had won the Second Wind debate back when they modified it to use Temp HP, then they reverted that change and now here we are, a week before Basic D&D launches still without a solid response from Wizards about which way they decided to go. The cynic in me thinks this is just to coerce people into playing the game due to hype. If I had known Damage on a Miss were definitely in the game a year ago, I wouldn't have started a D&D Next game at all. Instead, I found out they removed it in later private playtests but the point is that this type of change shouldn't be kept in the dark, they are being very opaque here and that's what's bothersome.

The last comment on this issue from an official lead was a tongue in cheek, backhanded joke that could easily be interpreted as mocking of the classic D&D playstyle, so I'm very skeptical about their final intentions. No, I'm not willing to pay for a product where they insult their audience like that, on either side. If they removed damage on a miss I would still want them to be polite and diplomatic about it, politeness and respect doesn't cost anything.

Their complete lack of transparency here strikes me as dishonest. I'm not paying for a company to lie to me. Tell us if there are these types of nonsense rules all over the place in the new D&D, Wizards! There are plenty of older editions for us to keep playing if you chose poorly.

I'd rather open up my Pathfinder books and deal with all the 3rd edition issues than deal with a whole set of other issues, including ones which are far more annoying to me than anything ever was in 3rd edition era. I've never been more annoyed at a game rule than with this one, and since I already own many Pathfinder books and enjoyed that system, that's where I'll have to turn to if Damage on a Miss is in 5th edition.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

The concern I and others have now is that it will show back up. And when it shows up in a core place like the fighter that it will show up in other places in future areas. Basically it is a tumor.

quote:

As someone who is dealing with love ones with cancer and tumors, it most certainly is not.

A metaphorical one, of course it is. It's not serious like a real loved one getting sick, obviously not. But the analogy is sound I think.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I play and enjoy 5th edition probably more so than anyone I know, and probably more than many people here on this website. I've been preaching about it and DMing it and and playing it and introducing people to it for over a year now. Now I have two groups going on and I have every right to post my opinions here just like you do. This is a public website and I signed in here freely.

Liking a game doesn't mean I have to be a meek rubber stamp on anything that comes down the pipeline. This is a case of people reading only my negative comments without actually realizing I've posted quite a bit of positive ones, and latching on to those.

Just wait until the final fighter comes out and he can miss with his attacks and we'll see who's being negative around here.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Please do call them and find out and report back to us if Daom is in the PHB. Seriously.

Either way would be doing us both a big favor. I have no problem if Daom is tucked away safely in a sidebar in the DMG, so that you can enjoy it to your heart's content and the rest of the game can rest easy, uncorrupted.

I don't like them wasting my / our time like this. I find it totally dishonest that they haven't clearly stated at this point whether it's in the game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As someone who has had cancer I have no problem with the term tumor to describe something that systematically expands and grows unchecked without intervention.

Weed is a similar term but not one quite as fitting. Without treatment for either they with both spread. But the limits of one is surpassed by the other. So is the level of radioactivity that it seems to raise. If people are willing to leave the game over something like DoaM then I would call that more than a mere annoyance (weed) and probably an aggressive and poisonous aspect to the game. It may be benign and able to be removed without too much difficulty, but then again so can some tumors (like mine was).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I am stealing this in its entirety from GBS.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/134751/a-close-look-at-what-roleplaying-is-really-about-and-what-it-is-not

quote:

Many people do not really understand exactly what Roleplaying is, simply because they have not been a part of a Roleplaying group in an online game before, or in a Dungeons & Dragons pen and paper old school style gaming environment.

I think with Star Citizen offering up such a rich environment for RP with it's attempts at bringing a realistic environment and detailed ships and pilot trappings into it's game, that the boards could use a thread where there is discussion of exactly what "roleplaying" actually is, on the part of players and their interactions with one another.

A great many people assume that when you create a character in Star Citizen, you are automatically engaging in roleplay when you first have the character take a step.

After all, you are dressed in a space outfit, you are walking in a real looking hangar, and no doubt our voices will be different than our real voices In life. We will fly spaceships, which we can't do ourselves. Aren't we roleplaying by default?

This widespread belief neglects to consider what roleplay actually is.

There are several things which make roleplaying a much deeper and more immersive experience than simply "letting the game do all the roleplaying"- and that is all a player is doing in the above approach. There isn't any actual roleplaying happening at all.

Roleplaying, in it's most stripped down and basic essence requires EFFORT on the part of the player to "be" someone other than themselves. That is the single basic requirement of this idea.

So, there is no roleplaying element in letting the game make you look and sound like someone else. That is the computer working- not you. There is no roleplay involved in shooting spaceships, that's just you pointing, aiming and blasting things.

You could take away the spacesuit and avatar and shoot stuff in an arcade game at the local mall's change run game room and it would be the same thing- just less fancy. Neither are roleplaying.

Many people think that Roleplaying is some kind of difficult, educated, egg-headed thing that not everyone can be good at. From the outside, people who are roleplaying may seem aloof and distant, responding haughtily in character, or not wanting to be brought out of their in-character guise.

While it's true that there are egotistical bast*rds who play roleplaying games, you can find these in all game genres.

For the most part, people who are roleplaying want to keep in character because it's simply a lot more fun and realistic feeling than not being in character. They aren't looking down their noses at you, they are just involved in a different sort of rich gaming experience that gets screwed up when you are brought out of it abruptly.

The truth is, anyone can roleplay. It has nothing to do with being college educated or particularly gifted in any sense. In Star Citizen, you won't even have to be able to type fast, because we will have speech in game.

Roleplaying only requires the abilty to let loose a bit and try to interact as a fictional character of your own. It's very, very much like playing when you were a kid, with friends. The best way to learn to RP is to watch others doing it closely, and follow the same general approach with a character of your own making.

The one reason to actually do this is that roleplaying makes the gaming world unimaginably more interesting and realistic. It's more fun. More about that later.

Lots of folks get stuck on starting. How do I create a character?

Many don't give themselves credit for having an imagination. They think that because they are lousy artists, or have never acted in a play, that they will suck as a roleplayer. The truth is, most of the very best RPers I've witnessed playing have started their very first character in front of me, and found out that they love the idea, once they get started, and have gone on to rich careers with their characters, never "going back" to regular non-RP play. Roleplaying is an addictive, fun way to play "sandbox" and "entire world" games.

Anyone can roleplay- all it takes is the willingness to try.

It's best to have a basic idea of the character you want to play before you start. Some people want detailed backgrounds, with an idea of the upbringing, parents, history of their character.

For others, just starting with the idea that you are a jaded UEE junior officer, a young and enthusiastic son of a space trader, or an escaped slave who stole a spacehip is enough.

It's good to have a couple of character traits to work with to start. A certain laugh, a saying or two the character likes to use, a strong point, like being thrifty and some character flaws like being terrible at math, a basic distrust of others, or a fear for heights can make a starting character distinctive and give he or she a place to start.

One of the most interesting characters I ever met was a charismatic merchant called Nico Black on a Neverwinter Nights server. The player was new, but he did a great job. The guy was very friendly, but really a fantastic trader who would rob you blind. His character would find out where all the better weapons were owned, and made a fortune getting between people and hammering out sales of stuff he didn't own. On the surface he seemed like a friendly stranger in the land who was just getting to know everyone. He had several distinctive written physical habits- he stroked his chin in thought, he tended to throw out this distinctive smile and always carried a rapier with a jeweled handle he was always fiddling with. Eventually, he turned out to be a very evil, stealthy, assassin type- but no one really "knew" this about him, and he evolved into this secret role. It was interesting seeing him keep his veneer of his early, nicer self, even as he grew worse and worse at heart, and his temper would show through from time to time- breaking through his easy façade of good humor, he would fall into uncontrollable rages late in his career.

In any case, creating a few simple "rules" that define your basic character is all you need at the start. Taking that first step- walking up to another RPer and talking to them, not as yourself, but as your made up gal or guy, is the hardest part of the whole process- once you start that first conversation, others will help you to establish your characters as they answer and talk back to you.

It sometimes feels like that the answers your character responds back with come from somewhere else- not from you.

That's one of the real joys of roleplaying- seeing your character seem to come to life of it's own accord. You get to know them so intimately, that you respond intuitively for them without thinking about it, in an almost magical way.

And none of this happens- there is no roleplaying at all- unless you make the attempt.

Why should I roleplay at all where Star Citizen is such a rich game to begin with?

As I've touched on a couple of times before, roleplaying is a wonderful enhancer of feelings of realism. Instead of you just viewing what is happening- caring about your ship being blown up, for instance, but not really being that involved, because you are aware you are also eating pizza and half watching reality tv- you will find yourself 100% immersed when you are roleplaying a character you care about and are watching your friends characters, who you have interacted with in endless ways, being in peril, accomplishing great things, and generally "believing" in all that is going down.

Looking back myself over the past decades in which I've roleplayed in countless games, I find that these memories are not like fair memories of "gaming" at all. The times my comrades and I battled dragons or defended our fortress seem very real. They are hundreds of times more vivid in detail and circumstance because my comrades and I shared the experience with feelings of real care about the events.

A lot of times, telling the stories of past battles to newcomers to a guild or squad, around a campfire or table, especially seems to cement the realism of the events.

Somehow when you are telling those stories through the eyes, mouth and ears of someone other than yourself, surrounded by characters that shared these virtual adventures, the gaming world is enhanced, enchanted, brought to life in ways that are hard to fathom.

In short, roleplaying brings magic to your gaming like nothing else can.

And to sum up my thoughts on "what Roleplaying is"-

1. Roleplay is not a passive experience controlled by the computer. The trappings of the game are not active roleplay.

2. Roleplay requires other living beings who are also RPing roles. It is, more than anything else, an interactive endeavor. Npcs cannot really "react" to what you do spontaneously, making attempts to RP alone in SP games much less fullfilling and interesting.

3. Roleplaying requires no special skill- only the simple effort of trying.

Responses and thoughts are welcome!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

A metaphorical one, of course it is. It's not serious like a real loved one getting sick, obviously not. But the analogy is sound I think.
Way to double down on a cancer analogy, dude.

Grog! People are literally incapable of acting like grown ups!

Rygar;6321009 posted:

Honestly? They made a catastrophic error.

The main problem D&D has right now isn't "Playstyles", it's wildly different games in form and function. 1st edition, 3rd edition, and 4th edition aren't just "Playstyle" differences, there's an entirely different tone and design process behind each of them. I'll just leave it there for fear of edition arguements derailing where I'm going with this.

The problem this causes is that you have virtually irreconcilable groups, each group prefers a game that literally invalidates the others. Their design goal was to put a bunch of stuff into the books and let people argue at the table over which type of game they're going to play, effectively moving the edition wars to the tables.

This should be relatively fine with groups who only play at home, but is devastating to organized play and public game groups. If some Adventurer's League shop has 50% 3rd edition players and 50% 4th edition players, how do they handle the resulting ruckus about mechanics? Whatever ruling is made, half of the playgroup is likely gone. The other choice is to have two playgroups, but then you end up with friction.

Eventually what you have is: Arguements at the table resulting in negative experiences and eventually player attrition or complete collapse of the playgroup due to these problems. Worse, if the shop owner feels it is more hassal than it's worth, or that it is affecting his sales, he likely will just stop supporting Adventurer's League. That in turn reduces the visibility and accessibility of D&D, which is particularly bad because it isn't going to take long before people openly talk about how Pathfinder's organized play doesn't have these problems.

WOTC punted on the problem of differences in editions, opting to force tables to argue about what rules are used and ultimately what kind of game is played. Placing your consumers in uncomfortable positions, or worse confrontational positions, is a *very* bad idea. People will associate negative experiences with the game, and they will tell others about them.

WOTC never should have punted and made the tables decide how the game is played when they knew that they had three distinct and largely incompatible factions of customers.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The problem is that many of the topics that people discuss and argue about here do at their core come down to edition preferences, whether it's about hit points, alignment, paladins, adventure design realism. And they will never meet in the middle, because there just no common ground to find much of the time.

The only common ground I can find with some people is just to say let's agree to disagree, and put it in a module. but D&D Next isn't really modular, it's a melting pot, they are mixing in stuff without regard to playstyle and which therefore is a slap in the face to those playstyles. How can one have a gritty game, for example, if fighters can heal themselves in the middle of combat without even taking two seconds pause to bandage themselves? That massive blow that landed squarely on your chest, that the DM just narrated happened to your character, didn't suddenly stop having happened if you use Second Wind on your next turn, does it. Some people are tolerant (or ignorant) of narrative contradictions, and others aren't. At which point the discussion digresses into "you viewpoint is absurd", vs "no it's just a game it doesn't have to make sense"

Eventually the ignore feature gets used if I feel like it's arguing v. brick walls, but since the ignore feature is one-way, they often keep replying behind my back and therefore the ignore feature is useless.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Edit: poo poo doublepost I blame Lowtax

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I almost feel like io9 is cheating because it's groggy as hell most of the time. But!

http://io9.com/the-20-weirdest-dungeons-dragons-magical-items-1596482305/all

-----
In a particular campaign, my fellow adventurers and I battled and defeated a big ogre that had been terrorizing a town. Our barbarian cut off its penis, our cleric cast some anti-rotting ritual on the penis, and as a warlock I cast a fear-inducing spell on it. It then became our weapon of choice in negotiations with NPC, in that if we found them disagreeable, we'd hit them with the Ogre Penis of Fear to change their attitude.

-----

It seems like the main objection to a lot of these is that they are not immediately useful in combat, or don't provide an obvious mechanical advantage. It's almost as if they were meant to be used in telling a story, rather than just scoring points.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There decision to keep second wind in the game without any optional replacement basically made my decision for me. They don't care about my playstyle so I'll find another game that does. I'm tired of carrying Wotc's water. If you like it then buy it. If not then don't. Seems like capitalism at work. They've just burned up all the goodwill that 1e,2e produced after 4e so now they have to compete on level field and they aren't.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
In a particular campaign, my fellow adventurers and I battled and defeated a big ogre that had been terrorizing a town. Our barbarian cut off its penis, our cleric cast some anti-rotting ritual on the penis, and as a warlock I cast a fear-inducing spell on it. It then became our weapon of choice in negotiations with NPC, in that if we found them disagreeable, we'd hit them with the Ogre Penis of Fear to change their attitude.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

quote:

Exalted has always pointed out that rape is a viable method to break someone's will. The outrage here is a misunderstanding, imo. Rape is not the point in the game, breaking the victim is the point. That can be done with torture and social-fu as well as rape. Rape is just a tool, a method, and it deserves to be mentioned.

quote:

quote:

For many, it wasn't that the charms set forth COULD be used for rape, it was that they HAD TO be used for rape. The people who were upset at the charms had very valid points: Most tables will restrict these charms, why not make them more broad so they do not ALWAYS have to be used for rape?

Those Charms listed seem more like flavor text to me, since they lack any mention of mechanics. It would make sense for someone called the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears to use methods like rape, but those same Charms could be reflavored to use methods other than rape.

quote:

These requests were ignored throughout nearly the entire discussion. This isn't about crafting a fantasy world in which rape doesn't exist, it is about allowing each table to either choose to incorporate it or not. You know, like good RPG designers do.

So don't use them. It's not like Holden is going to come to your house and beat you senseless if you don't use those Charms.

quote:

Secondly, Exalted needs to stop mentioning rape, because (as mentioned nearly everywhere in this thread) RAPE IS NOT IMPORTANT TO THE GAME. It doesn't "deserve to be mentioned." It is unnecessary. 99% of Exalted games do not involve rape. I can't wait to try and convince my friends to play Exalted (a game I REALLY enjoy) and tell them, "Oh yeah, ignore pages X and Y. Those are rules for rape. The game really is cool though!"

No, rape is not important to the game. Nobody makes that claim but the complainers. However, rape is mentioned. In two charms for a single villain. There is no chapter of 'rape rules', there are no player Charms for rape. Seriously, you and your kind are getting bent out of shape because of a single paragraph in a 300 page or so book.

quote:

Rape should be the default for the LOVER. Sex is what she's all about. That's her entire loving shtick. Hence the name LOVER.

Don't want rape to be the default? Don't use the Lover. Duh.

Jesus loving Christ, it's like common sense goes out the window when a pussy is somehow involved.

quote:

Okay, let me spell out the loving logic for you, since you cannot grasp it over your butthurt.

A: Rape is an effective tactic for breaking someone's will. B: Rape is immoral. C: Villains use immoral tactics. D: Villains prefer effective tactics. E: The Lover is a villain. THEREFUCKINGFORE: The Lover would use rape.

Besides, where's the outrage over people using torture? Killing? Genocide?

There's not, because it doesn't let you white knight and show all the hordes of womens how enlightened you are, amirite?

Newsflash: you're still a geek in a basement.

quote:

The only immaturity here is the complainers blowing things way out of proportion.

A villain called the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears gets a couple mentions using rape to break victims. Suddenly the whole game is about rape and nothing else.

Grow up, and get over yourselves.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Let's talk about cool stuff fighters should be able to do!

Actually let's nitpick it all and end up with fighters doing nothing again, huh, funny how that works.

~*~

quote:

- Imposing their will on their peers, like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, such that they wilt or naturally subordinate.
You know, people have tried that with me over the years. It has never done anything but piss me off. Not that I won't defer to others but that deference is based on the belief the one being deferred to is in fact best suited to the situation. I do not believe I am particularly special wrt willpower either. Attack the problem; ignore the rivals.

quote:

- Free-running and climbing like the freakish athletes and Olympic gymnasts of the world (check youtube for the guy that climbs like a monkey!).
Are we still talking Fighter or have we slipped into the Rogue?

quote:

- Literally shrugging off wounds that would mentally or physically cripple lesser folks, as the elite soldiers of this world do.
Requires a system where wounds are possible. Half the people who discuss hit point in-game manifestation reject that.

quote:

- Having the patience, skill, and strategic acumen to lay in the same position, unnoticed, in the bush for 3 straight days, observing the enemy, and reporting back with a perfect conception of what they saw and extrapolation of what it means (or what is to come).
Are we still talking Fighter or have we slipped into the Rogue?

quote:

- The absurd proprioception, spatial awareness and coordination to pull off the kind of amazing feats in a tangled, melee milieu that hockey players, soccer players, and fighter pilots pull off. Lionel Messi should not be an aberration. He should be the standard for mid-level D&D Fighters.
Sure, but how to model it? What is it everyone else is forbidden to do?

quote:

- Inspiring their teammates and subordinates to be better than they can be by themselves, such that the whole becomes much greater. Like Messi or Jordan, Captain Winters of "Easy" Company, Erwin Rommel, Bernard Montgomery, George Patton, and Douglas MacArthur should be the normal deal for fantasy Fighters.
So the Fighter kills the Bard and takes his stuff? No other class can offer inspiring leadership? I'd prefer to see that left open for all classes, actually.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

No, the Fighter, as WotC has said, kills the WARLORD and takes his stuff. This will absolutely NOT be open to all classes. That is not how D&D works.
The examples given were not of unit inspiration but covered corps and armies. Up until 4e, unit inspiration was handled by the casters (typically cleric and bard), and Charisma modifiers available to all character types. Army inspiration was the sole province of Charisma when it was handled at all.

quote:

This will be class or sub-class-based, period. The Bard in 5E doesn't operate this way, either - he's not, by the descriptions, a battle-leader type (even the more fight-y one isn't really a safe frontline combatant), whereas the Warlord was, and the Fighter, who now has his stuff, should be.
Did Montgomery fight on the front-line in WWII? Did Patton? It is certainly not the typical place for army commanders to appear.

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW

ProfessorCirno posted:

Lots and lots of fighter grog.

gently caress this gay edition, seriously.

In other news, I wonder what racists think of the Famous Drizzt Do'Urden!

quote:

Drizzt Do'Urden fans, do you find the books blatantly pro-negro? because this seems clearly evident to me since i read the first book. now being on book 6 of the Legend of Drizzt series, ive come to that absolute conclusion, after reading in the first chapter of The Halfling's Gem, how Drizzt would be even less welcomed in the "southern lands" for being a dark elf....

which really is quite sad, since Drizzt is a badass character, but the pro-black, "anti-racist" undertones really piss me right off.

quote:

Are the books any good apart from that?

I find it uncomfortable when i've gotten into a book only for a new character to come in whose black, and then spend the rest of the book wishing he'd just get killed so i could carry on reading in comfort.

quote:

oh they are great aside from that.

just to make it clear, it is still impossible to compare a drow elf to a ******. even negroes dont have skin as black as a drow. not to mention drow have a reknown of being one of the most intelligent and cunning races in all of Faerun. something negroes couldnt even dream of.

quote:

I'm pretty sure that the books might represent a black trying to rise above the bad reputation of his race, and become a respectable person, which is possible, but highly unlikely that it will happen in real life. I think Salvatore is just trying to cast Drizzt as an "exotic" character with his black skin and whatnot. Also, think about the Night Elves from World of Warcraft, they have purple skin, but they are also clever, agile, and skilled with arms, not at all like blacks.

I will always hate R.A. Slavatore for making Drizzt though, if only because of all the level 10 Night Elf Hunters running around with names like "xxxxxxDrizztxxxx"

quote:

I read most of the Drizzt books back in high school, and my opinion was that Drizzt is white in every aspect except his skin colour. He acts white, speaks like he's white, and thinks intelligently like a white man. There is nothing inherently "negro" about the Drow. They just have dark skin. That's the only similarity between drow and negroes.

The books aren't pro-negro at all. The part about him not being welcome in the southern lands could be a jab at the US south. Salvatore IS from the New England area if I remember right.

I've always considered Drizzt a dark-skinned white man. (elf) Therefore it doesn't bother me if he beds white women in the books. It's more the negative qualities in negroes that makes us dislike their race, and not the actual colour of their skin as the media likes to simplify it.

Or maybe not.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Got a whole loving manifesto inbound:

quote:

I Really Hate Swine posted:

Swine Pseudo-Activism

So first we had Swine Pseudo-artistry, the white-wolf crowd going around trying to subvert gaming (and ultimately destroy all the parts of gaming they didn’t like) by claiming that RPGs have to be “works of art”, sophisticated sensitive and brilliant.

When that tactic failed, eventually they moved on to the Swine Pseudo-intellectualism: seeking to subvert gaming by claiming that RPGs had to be academic exercises, based on “Theories”, that rejected all the “incoherent” games that were merely about having fun, and that demanded that gaming be re-invented to suit the agendas of the self-styled intellectual elite at the Forge.

That has now fallen to pieces for the Swine as well. And I’ve been predicting that its only a matter of time before some creative Swine figure out some new angle that they think will win them that long-desired control, subversion, and destruction of all that’s good about the gaming hobby. I think that we may be seeing some of the Swine currently trying one of these angles out, in the form of Swine Pseudo-activism.

The Swine Pseudo-artists tried to mainly focus their assaults on the aesthetics of the game, on the setting, on things like product (with metaplot, etc), and the “fashion” of the game. When that failed, the Swine Pseudo-intellectuals put their primary focus on assaulting the foundational systems of the game, not just game mechanics but also the baseline mechanical assumptions of what defines an RPG, trying to change those definitions to suit their agenda. They were repulsed.

Now, they are going to try to subvert gaming by attacking neither setting nor system nor underlying definitions, but by attacking the social structures of the hobby; by accusing the hobby of perpetuating crimes against “social justice”, in other words the dominant morality as defined by a group of self-styled paragons of sensitivity in certain highly restricted bubbles of quasi-intellectual feminist-marxist liberalism; ironically, they’re taking something straight out of the Pat Pulling playbook by claiming that RPGs are immoral, these people who claim to love gaming. Strange way to show it.

The case bubble they’re working with is well-chosen by these Swine, starting out with one of the dubious undercurrents of the hobby and bringing up a subject no right-minded person could possibly find any question with: rape. There’s no debate on any side anywhere (except maybe among absolute lunatics) that rape is a terrible thing, so it’ll make a handy little word (as it has for second-wave feminists for decades now) to stretch, redefine and misuse as a bludgeon to try to push through an agenda. No one wants to be painted as being “for” rape.

And the target these people have set their eyes on, or rather the patsy they’re using as bait for bigger fish, is James Desborough, writer of a number of RPG products (in my opinion of questionable worth) like Nymphology, the Slayer’s Guide to Female Gamers; as well as some non-rpg products like “Hentacle”, the hentai tentacle-rape card game.
I want to clarify at this point that I’ve never bought any of those, or any of the other books in that kind of genre (the Book of Erotic Fantasy, etc). I’ve always found them pretty puerile and ridiculous; and I’d certainly agree that this kind of subject matter is of interest mainly to a sophomoric and infantile kind of mind. When I reviewed the “Courtesans” RPG I said as much.

But that’s neither here nor there; the Swine don’t give a gently caress about this guy or his books except as something that gives them the chance to draw attention to a bigger cause or movement, where they can be allowed to use “outrage” over “offensive attitudes” to dictate terms to the entire hobby and control the content of games, even get to censor who is hired to work in the hobby.

They didn’t want Desborough, they wanted Mongoose, and Steve Jackson Games, publishers who had sometime in the distant past hired him to write for them. They are now campaigning to essentially destroy Mongoose, to shut it down as a company, in order to make it the cautionary example to cause the rest of the gaming industry to “fear the mob”. Their agenda? To get to force gaming companies to come to them to let THEM decide what can or cannot see print.

-That, and I quote: “your bog-standard D&D session is a facet of rape culture” where “a bunch of men (and perhaps one or two sexualized women) descend into dark depths to penetrate the underprivileged, poor denizens there with their phallic objects, and use their mysterious, privilege-generated powers to oppress and kill anyone who isn’t like them.”
They didn’t make their opening salvo with this, obviously, because pretty much any regular gamer would find this argument beyond absurd. They’d find it ludicrous, and send these assholes packing. But that’s why they’re starting from something that’s tricky to argue against, and moving toward this kind of bullshit, with which they hope to end up smothering the hobby with once they’ve gained enough influence to not be stopped.

They go on in that thread to talk about the problem of “violence” and how all violence (including any and all combat in RPGs) is a product of “rape culture”, and also secret racism as mentioned above. Their solution? Again, I quote: “make games that are about pure collaborative storytelling, or just existing in a strange way”.

Funny, how by what surely must be sheer coincidence, their proposed end result is exactly the same kind of games that the last batch of Swine wanted!

They go as far as to argue that people who play regular RPGs probably need therapy after each session to help them “understand” how the violence they’re “perpetuating” in the game is “completely unacceptable”, and that the playing of these sorts of RPGs “glorifies criminal behavior” until they stop participating in these RPGs. They presented a way of trying to hide said therapy as part of the gaming session.

They will expand from “rape is bad”, which is an obvious no-brainer that they’ll nevertheless attempt to twist into things that have gently caress all to do with that initial statement, into overall assaults on RPGs in general using things like “social justice” and “minority issues”, simultaneously viciously attacking RPGs while making a total MOCKERY of those real issues, in the same way the pseudo-artist Swines made a mockery of art, and the pseudo-intellectual Swine made a mockery of intellectual pursuits.

They’ll be quite willing to drag the credibility of very real, real world issues like rape, sexism, racism, and homophobia through the absolute muck in order to engage in their pogroms against the hobby that has twice-before rejected their attempts to take it over.

So what do we do?

There are some who think that negotiating with them will make them stop. It won’t, that will only be what encourages them. Others have argued that they have to be reasoned with, argued with in good faith for the “good of the hobby”.

But that’s just it, you can’t argue in good faith with a group that has NO good faith. This is the typical naive error that the Gramscian socialist-types love to see people fall for. If the Swine are not arguing in good faith, but rather want to use the debate as a platform by which to hammer through their agenda for change (whose fairy-tale wishlist includes, as mentioned above, veto power over who gets hired, what gets published, what kind of art an RPG book is allowed to have, a near-total removal of combat from RPGs, control over all art, and mandated officially sanctioned control and quotas over portrayal of women and minorities (including fictional minorities) in all RPG products) then rational debate gets you NOWHERE. On the contrary, it becomes their weapon, to get what they want.

You can see it perfectly in the history of the Forge and their tactics, and remember these are some of the same Swine, just trying a different tactic now (as I said, before it was pseudo-intellectualism, now its pseudo-activism); they ran all over everyone who tried to engage in “rational debate” with them because they understood how to CONTROL LANGUAGE, by allowing THEM to define what a roleplaying game was, by allowing them to decide that the debate would be couched within GNS theory, by letting them manipulate all the preconditions of the debate, they were pissing their pants with glee at all the idiots who thought that trying to reason with them would work. Since, again, their motive was not “Come, let us reason together”, it was to destroy the hobby as we know it and replace it with something completely different that they could be in charge of.

The way I beat the Forge was by playing their own game, better than they did. And that’s how you’ll beat these guys. You don’t reason with them, you beat them by taking all their extremist techniques and turning it back on them; by controlling the language and refusing to give up that ground to the other side, refusing to let them claim the moral high ground while they simultaneously try to redefine the meaning of things like “rape” or “racism” into non-existence just to serve their own nefarious motives, and by making sure you reveal any and all said underlying motives the other side holds. By undermining their facade of both respectability and their (false) moral high ground at every opportunity.

That’s how they’ll be stopped.
Take the fight to the vile SJWs that are looking to invade your hobby before it's too late!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That's fairly old, but I still grin every time I see Tarnowski's defense against "rape hysteria" includes mentioning a game that he even explicitly calls out as being rape-based.

Anyway, Reverend Wyatt was not so long ago crowned Hitler of D&D. What about Mike Mearls?

quote:

A lot of people would say that we're a little too early to pass judgment, but we're talking about the guy who thought that this was an acceptable character to bring to the table in one of the first videos previewing the system.

quote:

A dwarf in a steel top hat and steel tuxedo called MC Killzalot, the most famous dwarven rapper who's on the skids after a disastrous attempt at a prog rock album. Oh, his class is Fighter.

We've seen previews of the 5E D&D starter set and there's no hope that he was just shuffled into the corner with his D&D Legos while the adults did the work on the project. So gently caress it, 5E D&D is going to flop. And Mike Mearls will have helmed two editions of watching history's biggest TTRPG going down in flames.

Personally, I think that he's going to be for the TTRPG industry what Jack Thompson was for the legal profession and what Ken Penders was for the comics industry. That said, what's his next career move? I don't think that even Paizo would be idiotic enough to hire the equivalent of Rob Liefeld. But then, they hired Mr. Write Feats To Raise Money For His Kitty Cat, so who knows.

There you go. Mike Mearls is just loving King Bad At His Job.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mike Mearls stated today that there would be no replacement option
for second wind. That means there will be no official way to play
D&D without inspirational style healing. I realize it's a houserule
but they've decided to support Thaco because that is more
Important??

I'm not supporting a company that is apparently trying to phase
out my playstyle.

I'm going to support a different company. Probably C&C.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plague of Hats posted:

There you go. Mike Mearls is just loving King Bad At His Job.

quote:

Well since he goes home every night to be breastfed by his mother, does it really matter what is next5 for him? Maybe she will change his diaper a little more often since it needs it frequently as full of poo poo as he is.

Just wow.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

A dwarf in a steel top hat and steel tuxedo called MC Killzalot, the most famous dwarven rapper who's on the skids after a disastrous attempt at a prog rock album. Oh, his class is Fighter.
I fail to see what Mearls is doing wrong here because everything in that description is fantastic.

----

"D&D should be this thing that it's never been and only sort of once was by accident, this is a perfectly reasonable expectation."

quote:

quote:

If they're not restricted by class then there's no compelling reason to have a class system.
Maybe not. But I'd argue that simply prepackaging a combination of abilities in an easily comprehensible way is the main function of a class. Exclusivity is fairly incidental.

quote:

'Restriction' doesn't necessarily mean a blanket prohibition, but there's no way a Wizard should be any good at Fighter maneuvers without some Multiclassing.

Well, fighter/wizard characters have pretty much always been garbage in any version of D&D. I don't know that this is a good thing. Untrained magic use has pretty much always been off the table. Sneak attack/backstab has always been an odd exception rather than a general phenomenon that happens when you catch someone off-guard. Those are definitely the status quo, but I don't know that they have any merit beyond that.

quote:

The disintegration of niche protection is one of the things that made 3.X so unbalanced.
It's what made it so fantastic. The defining experience of 3e is being a player and feeling like you can create the character you want, not the character the designers had in mind. I can't imagine any other consideration being sufficiently important for players to give that up.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

I hate the excuse 'but lovely cliches havenwomen fighters!' First of allx Valaria ( Conan) was not that strong, she was easily overpowered by fit men. She was a skilled and experienced fighter, that's all. Secondly, buff women aren't going to look like Red Sonja, they're going to be built like men.if you want to play Ursa the She-Bear I'll let you have a 14 Str, good luck finding a boyfriend though. I also hate chainmaille bikinis and breast-conforming plate armor. Oh, and how does Tits McStackin use a bow with those flotation devices? Women not only get a STR penalty, they get a SIZ penalty; and if we're playing on Earth different ethnic groups will also have SIZ modifiers. Asians are not as big as Norsemen, generally speaking, and that's a disadvantage in combat. Deal with it. Dont loving fight all the time and it won't be a big deal, I hate modern roleplayers wih their lovely movie and video game expectations. Equality is for slaves.

quote:

I'd rather get #cancer than get #married. You're not allowed to kill women with #radiation.

quote:

#RPG.net is full of #feminist hags and fags, #socialists and hypersensitive #PC retards. http://www.avoiceformen.com/allbulletins/site-mail-onine-gamers-avoid-rpg-net-better-yet-undermine-it/

quote:

I pretty much avoid forums because, despite my desire to discuss things (especially rpgs and fantasy fiction) the conformist liberal toolbags on there constantly accuse me of 'trolling', and though I do occasionally engage people who irritate me just to piss them off I never do it facetiously - I quite seriously loathe egalitarianism political and ideological, I really do think most people are boring and I really don't like movies or music (as a rule). Part of this is the 'Poe Effect', and generally only the dominant cult (Humanism in this case) is allowed to be vehement, whe. someone expresses strong ideological or personal values contrary to the official religion they are presumed to be unserious out of hand. However, I don't think this is so much a mistake as a passive-agressive defense mechanism so they don't have to justify their poorly reasoned beliefs. And most persons have very poorly reasoned beliefs, even if they are correct.

Being contrarian and pretty much the opposite of Liberals and Conservatives both (variations on a theme, voting bullshit is still bullshit), and because artsy types and hack writers tend to be part of the stupid-left (I loathe Communism, but at least they aren't liberals) it's pretty much impossible to discuss these topics without drawing knee jerk dismissmal of a laughably anti-intellectual sort. Liberals are the new reactionaries and heresy hunters, and I have to say they do a better job than the Inquisition ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

[there being a trade off between flexibility and tightness of balance] is wrong on two levels. First the premise is wrong. There's no evidence that any particular class or choice is that much different from another. The available spread of options has always been and remains a real and intriguing choice. Except possibly bards.

However, even if it wasn't, I'd say players would still want that choice. On the micro level, many players dive in to opportunities to spend character creation resources on things that are useless to fighting or even adventuring, simply to detail their character. In 2e, it was some of the chintzier NWPs. In 3e, it expanded to things like Perform and Profession. And, of course, one of the distinctive features of spellcasting is that two different spellcasters with the exact same basic statistics could be radically different in functionality simply by their spell selection; you could have a sage or a hedge wizard who can't even fight and just throws up his hands if anyone attacks him, or you could have someone who's trying to bend reality and take over the world.

I take it as given that players would choose flexibility over balance every time, if given that choice. The only reason we have any balance at all is that it isn't always a dichotomous choice, and because of legacy elements that still carry forward from the game's wargame heritage.

quote:

Like I said, you can't unring the bell. Once you tell players that they can make a tauric halfling blink dog or a rogue/warlock hybrid or a noncombatant aristocrat and so on and so forth, I don't think they'll take no for an answer. Mine certainly wouldn't.

Nor should they.

quote:

Depends on what kind of balance you're talking about. Designing abilities independently from the characters that use them allows them to be very balanced in a broader context.

Even within the extant D&D framework, skills are much more balanced than spells; they have to be. An enormous amount of conceptual space is being funneled into one relatively small piece of skill text, and that skill is going to be usable by most or all characters very frequently, and won't be changed a whole lot by future supplements. So it has to be done right. And most of them were.

Conversely, spells (or, in the broader sense, exception-based mechanical abilities) create new conceptual space with each added spell (exception). They proliferate endlessly and instead of being balanced functionally by examining the practical utility of what they do, they're balanced largely by precedent (the DMG and other sources even say this explicitly), which naturally leads to power creep because precedent is boring, and brings and unreasonable degree of system mastery to the table. In some cases, it leads to blatantly unbalanced abilities that were designed to fill a niche without sufficient regard for their implications in the game world.

It's why 4e, despite having shoehorned characters into such a rigid mechanical framework, is so unbalanced.

quote:

Never say never. It certainly isn't [a universal system] now, but the merits of my thinking exist independently of whatever a company like WotC does. Boundaries, niches, and exceptions are inherently problematic, and consolidated, universal design makes sense. More than anything else, the class-based approach is simply tradition, and like any other sacred cow, I think it's days are numbered. Maybe a large number, but a number nonetheless.

• Locked thread